[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Collateral
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 7
File: Vincent.jpg (550 KB, 1330x748) Image search: [Google]
Vincent.jpg
550 KB, 1330x748
>Vincent spends the whole movie talking about how adaptation is important
>Ends up being killed because he doesn't adapt his shooting pattern, hitting the door instead of his target

P O E T R Y

Also this movie was fucking great, any others like it?
>>
>>68656350

Thief
>>
>>68656350
it's not that simple

collateral is about the duality of man; two people on opposite ends of the moral spectrum fighting within themselves
>>
Jamie Foxx ruins everything he's in
>>
>>68656350
Anything by Michael Mann, really

I'd also recommend

>A Most Violent Year
>Most Soderbergh - if you're thinking about visual style try The Knick
>Margin Call
>>
>>68656498

>WAAAAAAAAAAAH VINCENT SHOULD HAVE LIVED

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>68656558
That would have been a better ending, I think. Imagine if Vincent's blurred morality won out against wholly good?
>>
>>68656350
>max pretends to be vincent
>criminal guy says "I thought you'd be taller"
>Jaime Foxx is 2 inches taller than Tom Cruise
>>
>>68656574
>blurred morality

Vincent doesn't have blurred morality

He doesn't even have immorality

He's completely amoral
>>
>>68656686
They're both manlets
>>
>>68656815
Indeed, Foxx is 5'9 and Cruise is 5'7

Hollywood is full of dem manlets
>>
>>68656350
overrated movies that /tv/ loves thread?
>>
>>68656498
That's how I feel about Kevin Costner
>>
>>68656834
it's almost like what you call manlets are actually more common and the average heights of men
>>
>>68656708
edge moar
>>
>>68656861
>anything less than 6'
>pretending to be commando badasses

disgusting
>>
>>68656953
how is that edgy?

it's literally the fucking point of his character, he has no understanding of why he should be concerned with anything that doesn't immediately effect him
>>
>>68656990
he's not a commando he's a hitman. anyways I'm sure there are lots of commandos in that height.
>>
>>68656861
5'10" is average height

you're fucking insane if you don't think 5'7" is noticeably short for a man
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (450 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
450 KB, 1600x1063
>>68657047
I don't think you know what insanity is.
>>
>>68657131
I don't think you know what hyperbole is
>>
>>68656990
Read up on tunnel rats
>>
>>68657158
I do. That was improper use of it.

>dude if you think 3 inches of height is not a big deal you're off your rocker bro
>can you spot me?
>>
>>68656861
Found the manlet
>>
>>68657194
If you don't think 5'7" is noticeably shorter than 5'10" there is actually something wrong with you

either you have shitty eyesight or the part of your brain that notices/compares height/distance is broken somehow
>>
Vincent couldn't adapt and Max got lucky with the lights. I don't understand why people don't like the film's ending, it's perfect.

Watch Miami Vice. Top-tier Mann and the gold standard for digital cinematography.
>>
>>68657258
I just don't think it's anything worth obsessing over.

>>68657241
found the guy who has only his height going for him
>>
>>68657258
I'm 6'2 and I rarely notice unless someone is significantly shorter, because the only people who really care that much about height are sperging manlets.
>>
>>68657189
Sure there's a niche, especially when talking about being the same size as the enemy.

That said, your average American badasses trend towards Linebackers more than underfed middle schoolers.
>>
>>68657278
I can't believe how many people missed the whole "he died on a subway and no one noticed thing"
>>
>>68657353
Most people seem to miss the fact that he shoots the door because of muscle memory, but I can't imagine missing that, he actually repeats the line.
>>
>>68656990
>>68657039
I think most of them are desu. I'm 6'3 and it seems like it would be a disadvantage more often than it would help.
>>
>>68657278
>Vince represents chaos
>Max represents order

>Vince relies too much on the double-tap-headshot routine - his over-reliance (i.e. order) gets him killed
>Max embraces chaos and fires blindly, killing Vincent

>ultimately shows that both Vince and Max are at opposite ends of the spectrum and that a good life is somewhere in between

shit it's even down to their appearance
>Vince is a white guy with light hair and a light suit
>Max is a black guy with black hair and darker clothes
>>
>>68657386
I've seen people on 4chan complain saying "omg there's no way vincent should have missed", because they're fucking idiots

but I've never seen anyone on 4chan miss the "a guy dies on a train and nobody notices" thing since it's repeated like 3 times in fucking movie including when it actually fucking happens
>>
>>68657331
Same height and can agree, never knew height was a thing until /tv/ now I walk around like a god staring down on manlets, worse part is they did it to themselves
>>
It was more about connection man.
Vincent's citing the disconnected nature of people, that people would allow a corpse to go unnoticed on a well traveled subway, was reflecting his desire to go against this nature and to find a bond despite his job.
Sure, we are told there was an instance where another driver was used as a patsy, but we have no know how normal it was for Vincent to become invested in his stand-in's life.

Do you really think hitman, who should be keeping a low profile, would constantly be berating impolite employers of Taxi drivers, having his face in security footage as he visits ailing parents of his patsies, of chumming around with a man for hours instead of just killing him?
The inadvertent and undesired situation of messing up Max's cab was a sort of ice breaker bonding experience. This bond growing throughout the film to the climax of Max willfully crashing the car in hopes of killing Vincent, himself and his static life of an unfulfilled dream, and the relationship between him and Vincent. Vincent, a seasoned killer and on a tight timetable, how does he respond to this reckless action from Max? A seemingly out of character tantrum involving him bashing the partition that has been separating him and Max and pointlessly flailing a bit of pipe at him.
He certainly wasn't going to be able to kill Max with 4 inches of pipe and a poor position with no leverage. Yet he wastes a minute in this act and flees the scene without killing or inflicting an injury on Max.
This was as close to a friendly bit of rough housing and show of intimacy that Vincent, with his drunk and abusive father, has ever really allowed himself to experience and share with another person.

Him pointlessly shooting into the subway door frame, was it truly him failing to adapt? Or was it Vincent both allowing the closest thing he's had to a friend to live and to have his friend put an end to his tiring solitary life of manhunting.
>>
>>68657021

don't feed him man, you're right and he's an idiot desu.
>>
>>68657522
I'm 6'7" and it's funny when you 6'2" meme guys get rowdy like children and I have to mantain order because I'm the alpha male pack leader.
>>
>>68657594
>6'7"

What carnival do you travel with?
>>
>>68657447
You can't imagine how being in an entirely different weight class could be useful for a hitman/commando?
>>
>>68657594
>6'7
>Doesn't play basketball

Apply yourself
>>
>>68657614
circe de solei

>>68657658
I dribble ur mums pussy every night m8
>>
>>68657539
I don't know that I agree. You're right about the connection, sure, but I don't think Vincent was willfully letting Max beat him, I think he was letting his emotions get the better of him because his "friend" was threatening his livelihood and life.
>>
>>68657594
>mantain

kek
>>
>>68657539
>Him pointlessly shooting into the subway door frame, was it truly him failing to adapt? Or was it Vincent both allowing the closest thing he's had to a friend to live and to have his friend put an end to his tiring solitary life of manhunting.

He shoots in his standard pattern, reacquires his target when the lights come back, and automatically goes through his reload motion.

Highly doubt Vincent made a conscious decision at that point, he'd been acting on instinct since Max wrested away control of the situation.
>>
>>68657131
Are those bb guns?
>>
>>68657563
Thanks man sometime I get really riled up, sure I have a phd in philosophical nihilism BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN IM EDGY!

I just really feel strongly that Vincent is NOT IMMORAL, he's AMORAL. He's got no morals(not a few morals, none), get it right shitlord, you know what I'm saying?
>>
>>68657869
you're a double nigger
>>
>>68657957
rekt desu senpai
>>
>>68657727
Take a look from this perspective. Vince finds common ground with Max, in that they've both got shitty jobs where they interact with lots of people but remain isolated, trapped repeating the same few actions each day. In the first few minutes of meeting Vincent suggests Max break the mold he's set for himself by calling the girl he things is out of his league. Max eventually manages to not only break the mold, but shatters it that he not only calls the girl, he puts his life on the line for her, and engages in gun battles. Seeing his friend escaping his existential rut, Vincent finds that not only is he still stuck in his fruitless life of receive target, kill target, but this life is serving as a final barrier to his friend obtaining a new and better life.
I think he would welcome Max defeating him.
>>
>>68658154
Again, you have me right up until the part where Vincent lets Max win. I agree that there's a connection between the two, and that there are clear and deliberate parallels between the two characters; they're meant to be foils. But there's nothing textual to support your reading. Max breaks out of his rut (order embracing chaos, like another poster in the thread mentioned) but Vincent doesn't escape his, and that's why he dies.
>>
>>68656350
Is this really how /k/ interprets movies?
>>
>>68657258
http://www.mrinitialman.com/OddsEnds/Sizes/sizes.html?base_ft=5&base_in=10&comp_ft=5&comp_in=7

seems pretty minor
>>
>>68657868
Simulated weapons, probably firing blank cartridges or something else. "Robin Sage," what's on that fellow's arm, is a set of wargames put on by the Army in North Carolina every year.
>>
>>68656834
Isn't that because being shorter makes it easier to frame shots with women?
>>
>>68656498
agreed (except for django)
>>
>>68660872
Jamie Foxx didn't ruin Django, but only because Quenin beat him to the punch.
>>
>>68656350

there is still no explanation on why vincent would miss in that scene.
none.
>>
>discussing film on /tv/

get out
>>
>>68661752
You're right, other than the one in the post you're quoting.
>>
>>68661801

a real one that's actually conclusive
>>
>>68660199
no it's because tall guys are usually ugly and either fat or auswitchz mode
>>
>>68661936
t. manlet
>>
>>68661907
Pay more attention to the movies you watch
>>
>>68657594
And yet you are a manlet of life since you will enjoy a shorter lifespan.
>>
>>68657039
He actually was ex-commando.
>>
Holy fuck this board is worse than /fit/ with this height crap.
Direct all that "debate" to a general or something.
>>
>>68662071

>taxi driver scared shitless
>cold ex special forces guy

he misses because the script tells him to
>>
>>68662179
ok

didn't remember that
>>
>>68662235
>trained people cannot miss
Do you have any idea what shots fired at target:shots hitting target ratios are IRL?
>>
>>68662235
He misses because, despite all his sermonizing about adaptation, he reacts instinctively and uses the same technique that it's mentioned multiple times in the movie is used on all of his victims. He is also blinded with rage, subject to the flashing lights on the subway and had been shot in the neck just prior. Read any of the discussion in this thread for why it was a thematically and narratively appropriate.

This is not a challenging film. You shouldn't need all of this spoonfed to you.
>>
Also vincent had been shot in the neck

people seem to forget about this.
>>
File: 1390457956312.jpg (94 KB, 600x370) Image search: [Google]
1390457956312.jpg
94 KB, 600x370
post what weapon you would use if you were a hitman.

me I'd use a silenced 22
>>
>>68662352

>filled with rage
he's also rage filled in the club scene so take that out
>flashling lights
so is max
>shot in the neck
okay

making this shit up as everyone ever to justify the happy end. script is literally just shit
>>
>>68662445
>he's also rage filled in the club scene
He wasn't.
People make mistakes, in this kind of situation one mistake might mean you're dead, get over it kid.
>>
>>68662434
enjoy killing them slowly and loudly from the screaming
>>
Y'know guys it's a well-directed film but really it's not a great script.

It hammers you over the head with awkward "poetry" like the man dies on a train and muh patterns. Vincent constantly seems like cringey early-2000s 2deep4u edgy philosophy.
>>
>>68662479
what about a silenced 45?
>>
>>68662445
You're ignoring the main argument about his mozambique drill technique and may, in fact, be too stupid to argue with.
>>
>>68662479

A .22 at close range, fired execution style, will enter through the skullbone ande bounce around on the inner walls, causing massive damage to the brain.
>>
Foxx ruined Jango and Collateral. He's such an ugly nigger looking dude.
>>
>>68662587
I know this is a meme but is it true?
>>
>>68662434
A .22? Do you not know anything about guns?
>>
>>68662798
I know a little bit. I've heard that you can kill with a 22 but have to shoot in vital organs and stuff
>>
>>68662673
Yes. There are tests on Youtube showing what .22 does. Also 22LR can be deadly at more than 500 yards.

Anyway, Collateral is unrealistic because a killer like that would never be that visible, nor would he plan that many shootings at that short of a time.
>>
>>68662587
I entered and bounced around on the inner walls of your mom last night
>>
>>68662876
lol
>>
>>68662434
WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE HITMAN
>>
>>68662540

yeah let's just "accept" that he's too stupid to aim at his target.
he's just a robot following the same pattern over and over again.
oh wait he isn't or is he? why didn't he shoot every person he killed in mozambique drill fashion?
Whatever he was too stupid in the end.
Let's make everyone happy and let him die.
>>
>vincent the operator
>taken out by a nigger taxi driver
kek
>>
>>68662925
what do you mean?

integrated silenced pistols aren't that expensive
>>
>>68656498
fucking this, overrated trash
only movie I've ever fallen asleep in the theater watching was the Miami Vice rehash
>>
>>68656350
cant make it through this one, fall asleep every fucking time cause its too quiet
>>
File: Scaramanga's_Golden_Gun.jpg (20 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
Scaramanga's_Golden_Gun.jpg
20 KB, 500x330
>>68662925
No that would be the owner of this gun
>>
>>68656350
Max also says early in the film that he always gets lucky with the lights.
>>
>>68663066
>falling asleep during a movie
kek, are you on xanax or something?
>>
>>68662434
>>
>>68662935
Every point you're trying to make was refuted before you even started posting in the thread. Stop being wilfully ignorant towards any information that doesn't fit into your asinine narrative.
>>
>>68656834
It's easier to fit them in the shot when they shoot in widescreen.
>>
I don't understand why he died. It was a simple point and shoot. There had to have been some reason
>>
>>68663138
EXTREME POETRY
>>
>>68662352

>technique

What the fuck are you talking about? It's a fucking pistol. You point it at people and pull the trigger. That's what he did. Except he missed because the script told that it was time for him to die
>>
>>68663575
dumbass.
>>
The nigger shouldn't have win at the end.

You all know I'm right.
>>
>>68663575
Do you people even watch the film? Ruffalo's character flat out explains in the morgue scene that all of Vincent's victims have the same bullet pattern.
>>
>>68663615

tell me where I'm wrong
>>
>>68663288
>45's
>silent

Aren't you a little too old to equate things you see in video games to real life?
>>
>>68656498
I really don't like him as an actor, and he's outright ruined movies like Law Abiding Citizen that otherwise could have been pretty good, but he's fine in Collateral. One of the few things he's been case in he seems suited for.
>>
>>68661936
>Tall guys are usually fat
WRONG AF
>>
>>68657047
If Ton Cruise was in your local watering hole nobody would be saying "check out that short guy". They're be saying "check out that beefy piece of ass"
>>
Was Vincent really going to kill Max after the night was over?

Max was the primary agitator and it almost seems like everything would've better if he had cooperated
>>
>>68657594
Your life must be pure suffering.

I'd much rather be 5'5" than 6'7".
>>
>>68663575
>It's a fucking pistol. You point it at people and pull the trigger.
Genuinely too stupid to argue with.
>>
File: aluminum.jpg (96 KB, 760x575) Image search: [Google]
aluminum.jpg
96 KB, 760x575
>>68656498

WE JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT HE HAAAAAAS
>>
>>68656990

Hello, the point of the gray suit and the gray hair was for Vincent to be unremarkable and unrecognizable to make it harder for him to be indentified. I don't think being a huge ass motherfucker is an advantage if you are be a hitman
>>
>>68663666

Uh yes. He shoot at chest and head. Is there something wrong with that? Should you aim at their hands? Are you fucking retarded? Anyway the lights were flickering so neither one of them could see properly. Why is that that Jamie Foxx comes out on top then?
>>
>>68663956

Oh god. Otherwise great bit. Ruins the 10 seconds he's in.
>>
>>68663850

That's literally what you do. I've shot with a pistol in the army.
>>
>>68663703
>Large caliber subsonic round
>Not pretty damn good for being suppressed
>>
>>68664086
Look at the bullet placement on the subway doors in the final scene, it's the same pattern. He reacts with muscle memory instead of actually aiming. He doesn't adapt. This is very simple. Max gets lucky with the lights, it's a callback to the first scene in the movie.

I'm done arguing with you, you seem entirely unable to grasp incredibly simple concepts. It's like a toddler sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling "NANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU."
>>
>>68663850

>first semester film school

everyone is too stupid to understand anyhow huh?
>>
File: vincent.jpg (345 KB, 2048x862) Image search: [Google]
vincent.jpg
345 KB, 2048x862
>Cruise grew up in near poverty, and had a Catholic upbringing. The family was dominated by his abusive father, whom Cruise has described as "a merchant of chaos." Cruise had reported that he was beaten by his father, who was a bully and coward.
>'He was the kind of person where, if something goes wrong, they kick you. It was a great lesson in my life—how he'd lull you in, make you feel safe and then, bang! For me, it was like, 'There's something wrong with this guy. Don't trust him. Be careful around him.' '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxzCn3OZfeA

Deepest lore
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.