[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is going to be huge news on Wednesday. Too bad /tv/ is too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 8
File: twot.jpg (67 KB, 593x340) Image search: [Google]
twot.jpg
67 KB, 593x340
This is going to be huge news on Wednesday. Too bad /tv/ is too dumb and uncultured to understand the impact.
>>
Tugging my braid in antici
>>
>>68653733
Why don't you explain it to us, oh wise one.

Another epic show like Game of Thrones, like will never be the same.
>>
>>68653766
pation
>>
>>68653733
Wheel of time is fucking awful desu
>>
>>68653733
But Wheel of Time series was so drawn out and boring.

How come you faggots aren't excited about The Watch or Good Omens tv series coming out?
>>
> Bigger list of characters than GoT
> All leads are teenagers
> No nudity, graphic sex or bloody violence
> Only author to add more filler than GRRM
> Braid tugging

Yeah, can't wait.
>>
Ah, yes, Wheel of Time. The epic series of fantasy books that took so long to write, the original author died before he could finish it.

Good thing something like that won't happen again in the near future.
>>
>>68653873
Also every single fucking female character is so insufferable, the author must have had an awful relationship with his mother
>>
>>68653733
>he thinks he's cultured and intelligent because he likes fantasy
>>
>>68653733
Didn't they stealth release the pilot?
It will be shit
>>
Amazon probably got rights to The Wheel of Time.
>>
>>68653873
>no bloody violence
>>
>>68653733
It is unfilmable. It would have to be animation or something. The series is so stupidly long and drawn out.
>>
>>68653983
it was to keep the rights.
>>
The first 6, maybe 8, books are great but even though I liked the series there's no way it would make a good TV series or film.
>>
Christ, can't you stay in your containment threads? Notice I said THREADS, plural. There are multiple autist circlejerk generals for you to pollute the board in. Kindly keep this horrible shit off the front page, or include something related to your meme show in the subject so I can filter it.
>>
>>68654046
>The first 6, maybe 8, books are great

It's not even good fantasy.
>>
>>68653873
>> No nudity
Aes Sedai tests feature mandatory nudity
>> or bloody violence
>the front rank of the Shaido exploded
>>
>>68654073
Yes it is. Fuck you, meme-sponge. You don't have real opinions. You've just regurgitated what you've been told is the truth.

Pre-Sanderson Wheel of Time is the best fantasy that exists. Only memesuckers say otherwise.
>>
File: 960.jpg (78 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
78 KB, 960x540
This is confirmed for getting a movie, and The Watch is getting 13 episodes.

So why the fuck should I care about a book series so drawn out that God killing the author couldn't stop it?
>>
>>68654073
you wut

I think you're mistaken, this isn't a Game Of Thrones thread.
>>
>>68654162
I really like the series, but it is several books too long.
>>
>>68654031
>It is unfilmable.
It's feminist power fantasy so it will be filmed.
>>
>>68654174
I always imagined trollocs being way more savage and gross looking.
>>
The fact that autists in this thread are hating on Wheel of Time shows a lack of taste, and strengthens my love for the series since I'll be in a minority.
>>
>>68654173
Is it true that Neil Gaiman was born into a high-level Scientology family same as his wife Amanda Palmer and donates thousands of dollars per year to Scientology front groups while maintaining that he is not a Scientologist same as his born-in Scientologist wife Amanda Palmer?
>>
>>68654046
> I liked the series there's no way it would make a good TV series or film.

I'm kind of baffled why fans clamor so much for TV/movie adaptations of their favorite books, anyway. I mean, isn't reading the damn things good enough for them? Very few adaptations truly managed to capture what made the original works good.
Why do they have this strange urge to watch Hollywood shit over their favorite properties?
>>
>>68654073
>>68654162
>good
>fantasy
>>
>>68654204
>episodes of internal dialogue about what color of lace some stupid bitch is wearing
I can't wait.
>>
>>68654210
You could only sound like more of a hipster faggot if you claimed to enjoy it ironically.
>>
File: DFW11.jpg (19 KB, 620x447) Image search: [Google]
DFW11.jpg
19 KB, 620x447
>genre fiction
>>
>>68654265
>written stories
>>
>>68654204
That's like saying Mad Men is a male power fantasy.

You mean that men weren't allowed to be mages because they went crazy since their source was tainted, women were the only ones allowed to be mages and held a lot of power because of it?

You do realize that half way through the books Rand created the Black Tower where men could go and learn to channel?
>>
>>68654243
Yeah but no, I already enjoyed it unironically.
>>
>>68654192
As a fan, I wish there were more books. Had the author survived amyloidosis, gotten from Agent Orange exposure during his time killing thousands of VCs, I would have read this series forever. It was meant to emulate oral tradition, and James Oliver Rigney Jr. was a master storyteller.

Memeretards don't grok this series. I do.
>>
>>68654216
I don't know. They're both pretty sexually open and allude to having threesomes and shit. That's contrary to the way the church handles sex. His family and her family have have been scientologists but they do a lot of things scientologists wouldn't want to be associated with.

His dad did probably kill that nigger in the mini cooper though.
>>
>>68653935
>Also every single fucking female character is so insufferable, the author must have had an awful relationship with his mother
or met a lot of women
>>
>>68654357
That book that took place over the course of like a day was way too much.
>>
>>68654390
kys
>>
>>68654208
Yeah, they're supposed to look like an animal and human got morphed together in a horrifying way like Brundlefly. Not like a Warcraft race.
>>
I think there are loads of cool stuff in the Wheel of TIme series, maybe they'll be able to edit out all the worthless crap and make a decent series out of it. The Roads, ogiers, trollocs, Myrdraals, fucking Ghulams, basically everything going on with Mat, aes sedais, jolly green giants etc, it would be a blast to watch it.
>>
The final book was a little disappointing, everything before the battle at least.
>>
>>68653804
Good Omens is OK but American Gods or Sandman wouldve been better

Wheel of Time definitely is fucking drivel by the 4th book onwards until Sanderson took over

The Harem shit wouldve been great if the female characters werent shit, his female characters are way worse than the Jim "make every girl a ACTION GIRL cuz FEMINISM" Butcher
>>
>>68654425
Grandfathered meme from when butthurt Internet users had to wait 3 years between books and raged anytime plot threads were not sewn up. Crossroads of Twilight is a really great novel. So is Crown of Swords for that matter.
>>
>>68654162
>>68654174

>Pre-Sanderson Wheel of Time is the best fantasy that exists.

It was really really bad. The characters had no depth , the bad guys were recycled from Tolkien, the women were all cunts. (all the men are wimps and idiots and all the women are those all knowing ,geniuses who can use their glares and raised voices to make men squirm)

The world building in general was really fucking shitty, althought some concepts were pretty solid. He really needed to study some linguistics because the names were really fucking cringy, The Trolloc Fists with names like Ahf'frait, Ghob'hlin and Dhai'mon . Fucking really?

The dialogue was fucking awful etc etc etc

It's fine if you like and enjoy it but it is not the best fantasy that exists. Fuck
>>
>>68653733
Is Pat Sajak retiring from The Wheel?
>>
>>68654173
are the rest of the Discworld stuff any good?

Ive only read the Color of Magic and its funny as shit, any standouts? do I have to read it in order?
>>
>>68654515
American Gods was already announced and has already started filming, it airs as tv series next year that's why I didn't mention it.
>>
CG Redwall movie fucking when?
>>
>>68654571
Read Guards Guards. It's 10/10, introduces some great characters (Vimes is GOAT) and is generally hilarious
>>
>>68654571
Loads of his books are worth reading, there are a few that fall flat.
>>
Sword of truth is objectively better
And the legend of the seeker is god tier

>get fucked wheel of time fags
>>
>>68654531
Yeah, none of that is true and if you've read it you can't read for comprehension.

So many """people""" have memepinions about WoT but so few actually grokked it.
>>
Whats up with this Fantasy meme of writers not being able to finish their fucking work and dying

Wheel of Time, ASOIAF, Kingkiller Chronicles etc

I think the world building aspect of writing either takes too much toll or theyre just interested in the world building and never actually planning shit out
>>
>>68654571
They're actually even better.
And order isn't THAT important overall, even though there is some degree of continuity between them in terms of characters, the stories themselves are pretty much all stand alone.

I definitely recommend Reaper Man and Small Gods.
>>
File: wiagb4.jpg (107 KB, 804x500) Image search: [Google]
wiagb4.jpg
107 KB, 804x500
OUT OF MY WAY OTHER FANTASY FUCKING SHITS
>>
>>68654531
>not the best fantasy that exists. Fuck

Yes its not Lord of the Rings I know that , but damn I enjoyed Wheel of Time.
>>
>i want this perfect fine story to be adapted into a different medium so i can complain for years about how bad the adaption was and how it never should have existed!

I'll never understand this
>>
Why did millenial Pratchettfags have to infiltrate the DevTeam and ruin NetHack?
>>
>the main character is the worst character out of the 3 main dudes
>the women are either helplessly retarded or mary sue until they need to be saved by a man
>male power fantasy wish fulfillment
yeah no
>>
>>68654571
All of the Discworld series are great.

I have always read them in release order because well I had been following them that way. There's several guides out there. Just start with each of the series first book.

You already read color of magic, go read all the other Rincewind books, they are great.

Equal Rites starts the Wyrd Sisters series.

Guards! Guards! starts the Watch series.

Mort starts the Hogfather/Death/Susan series.

I really can't say which one is my favorite, they're all great. Susan is mai waifu though.
>>
Why does 4chan like a series that was written by a cuck?
>>
>>68654390
>>68653935
Wait, seriously? I've known two women were all over this book series.

I guess it's true women hate other women the most.
>>
>>68653795
I read that in Tim Curry's voice.
>>
>>68654683
>I unironically like LoTR outside the historical context

there are such a thing as outdated, I can appreciate LoTR for its significance and generally good world building but the writing itself has 1000 pages worth of padding and useless monologues/conversations
>>
>>68653804
>How come you faggots aren't excited about The Watch or Good Omens tv series
Because that's most likely going to be good, and there's no need to hype it up in order to make ourselves think it's better than it is.
>>
File: mmpbs.jpg (141 KB, 960x454) Image search: [Google]
mmpbs.jpg
141 KB, 960x454
>>68654683
The Dragonlance series was better fantasy than Wheel of Time.
>>
>>68654162
>Pre-Sanderson Wheel of Time is the best fantasy that exists

>What is books 8 through 10?
>>
>>68654651
>Yeah, none of that is true
First of all Ahf'frait, Ghob'hlin and Dhai'mon are all actual names out of the books.

Second of all Myrddraal were litterally Nazgul Ogiers were litterally Ents

Almost everyone agrees that the women in the books were really awful, Egwyne and Nyneaves were arrogant cunts and everyone seems to praise them for it all the time.

>"Letting a man know too much was always a mistake. The trouble was, he was right, but letting a man know that too quickly was a mistake too." - Nynaeve, Bk 5, Ch. 47

The Dialogue is reallllllllllllllllllllly bad:
>""They're nefarious creatures indeed." Talmanes said, voice flat and even. Talmanes rarely smiled.
"By the time they're done," Mat continued, almost more to himself, "you'll be left with no coin, several lists worth of errands to run and what clothing to wear and a splitting headache. You'll sit there and stare at the table and begin to wonder, just maybe, if those dice didn't read twos after all. If only to preserve what's left of your sanity. That's what it's like to reason with a woman, I tell you."
"And did so. At length."
"You aren't making sport of me, are you?"
"Why Mat!" the Cairheinin said. "You know I'd never do such a thing."
"Too bad," Mat muttered, glancing at him suspiciously. "I could used a good laugh." He looked over his shoulder. "Vanin! Where on the Dark One's blistered backside are we?""

Ch20, TGS
But anyway, great arguments you've got there
>>
>>68654675
I started listening to the first one on audible, and I'm having a lot of trouble following the plot. Tons of names and places, and it seems like it's almost l dialogue. Does it get better?
>>
>>68654856
Nope. It's just endless droning by the author. His idea of world building is writing 3 pages to describe a town's harbor.
>>
dragonmount.com sounds a lot like a dragon dildo company.
>>
File: 80b.png (98 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
80b.png
98 KB, 618x618
>>68654529
>Crossroads of Twilight is a really great novel.
>>
>>68654826
>First of all Ahf'frait, Ghob'hlin and Dhai'mon are all actual names out of the book
Yeah you didn't grok it. Thanks for leading with this.
>>
>>68654826
>Mentioning rolling 1 on dice
>In fantasy
They adapted their D&D game?
>>
>>68654907
>grok
Yeah, we read it the first time, you fucking sperg.
>>
>>68654907
>YOU DIDN'T GET IT REEEEEEEEEEE

Nice arguments
>>
>>68654531
>The Trolloc Fists with names like Ahf'frait, Ghob'hlin and Dhai'mon
Are you too retarded to understand what Jordan did there? He gave the readers something recognizeable so they could feel clever about it.
>>
>>68654907
>grok
You know you sound retarded right?
>>
>>68654826
>Ogiers were litterally Ents
Confirmed for not having done more than skim book 1.
>>
>>68654936
Its middle school tier writing.

>What shall I call these bad guys?
>I know! : E'vuhl g'aiys
>call it out

YOU DON'T GET IT
>>
>>68654931
>>68654945
I'll continue to use the word grok in discussions about SF/F, interlopers, whether or not it upsets you.
>>
>>68654907
Stranger in a Strange Land is stupidly overrated, along with most of Heinlein's books.
>>
>>68654977
The series is explicitly about legends fading to myth and myth being long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes to pass. Grok yet?
>>
>>68654936
>Was being clever part of the plan?
>If I take out those metaphors will your books be hurt?
>They would be extremely shorter.
>They're a big book
>For you.
>>
>>68654995
That's where the word grok comes from but the fact that you've cited Stranger in a Strange Land just betrays your Googling.

It's nice that you made an effort.
>>
But WoT is pretty mediocre fantasy
>>
>>68655018
>Ahf'frait

kek
>>
>>68654265

>enjoying anything ever
>>
>>68654985
Considering how bad the source of the word is and considering the word understand exists, you look retarded with objectively bad taste.
>>
>>68653804
>The Watch
That's never actually happening though, is it?
>>
>>68655090
You only recently learned where the word came from from your search engine use, so I don't really care what you have to say. Is that wrong?
>>
>>68654571
Read all of it. Seriously. All of it.
>>
>>68655043
>googling
Do you think you're the only one that's read sci-fi? Heinlein isn't some fucking unknown author, moron. Keep using made up terms in your arguments, though. It really helps your cause.
>>
>>68655022
lel
>>
>>68655043
>No one reads shitty old sci fi but me
>>
>>68655132
No you just don't grok it. Go back to your godawful Tolkien and leave the good authors like Sanderson to us smarter people
>>
>>68655132
Grok isn't an unusual term in discussions of sci-fi. Those who make a spectacle out of it, per the spectacle itself, show their familiarity.

>>68655137
That wasn't funny. You should not have posted "lel" in response to that post.
>>
>>68655156
>I fell for this shit tier bait
I'm disappointed in myself.
>>
>>68655119
No, I read that shitty book years ago. It fucking falls to pieces within the first few chapters and is massively overrated.
You aren't the only cunt who's read that shit, GROOOOOK?
>>
File: AND KETCHUP.gif (1003 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
AND KETCHUP.gif
1003 KB, 360x240
Great tier
>LOTR

Started off great but now is fan fiction tier
>GoT

Children films based on Children book tier
>Harry Potter

Waifu tier
>Legend of the Seeker

Shit film based on shit book tier
>Eragon

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP TIER
>The Hobbit

Kino tier
>Wiedźmin also known as The Hexer or The Witcher
>>
>>68655189
>unusual
No, I guess not. Doesn't mean you don't look like a fucking idiot when using it outside of discussions of one specific book.
>>
>>68655099
when good omens was announced there was a secondary announcement that the script for the pilot was almost complete and casting would be starting soon. I can't find the fucking source though.
>>
>>68655223
>>Legend of the Seeker
I remember enjoying it as a kid , but it seems to me like the author just had a huge femdom fetish.

Oh shhiiiiiitttt maybe thats why I have one now.

Also the Farseer Trilogy is fucking great. The sequels are pretty shit though
>>
>>68655213
You don't have to have read any book to use the term grok. You just have to be a genre fiction fan.

>>68655227
I don't look like an idiot. You do. You do. Google more.
>>
>>68655245
I'll believe it when I pirate it.
>>
>>68655272
Not falling for it again.
>>
>>68653803
So is your face fat fuck
>>
>>68653873
Lel
>>
>>68654073
KYS
>>
>>68655272
Grok my seeming, doubleplus ungood muggle. Frell an Affront.
>>
>>68655223
Eh the Witcher is actually pretty good tho, atleast the short stories are, the novels are mediocre though but the world building is pretty good still

the short stories have a Pulpy feel to it and oddly feels more American than European fantasy
>>
>>68655401
I was making fun of the shitty ass tv series and film. At least the fans got the best video game adaptation of a fantasy book series which is only fair after what happened to us with that one. I would say the best thing about the series is the characters. The author actual managed to make well written female fantasy characters which is rare.
>>
>>68655401
Sword of Destiny was the best Witcher book.
>>68655464
He also managed to write a protagonist with superhuman abilities, white hair and freaky eyes who constantly gets laid and yet isn't a gary stu.
>>
FACTS SO FAR:
- Huge news coming Wednesday
- mongs can't grok it
- Mad Men confirmed as male power fantasy
>>
>>68655570
You forgot this fact >>68655111
>>
>>68655598
Well good thing I never picked up WoT, Dragonlance was awful.
>>
>>68655491
also his superhuman abilities make sense in the context of the story and the way it works as a plot device, he isnt overpowered or magically gets out of situations through magic kung fu shit or badassery, conversely he doesnt lose fights he shouldve won out of meme plot shit or femme fetale shit he shouldve know, its a balanced story without bullshit cliche plot devices
>>
>>68655671
This. Witcher is awesome I love viedeo games and hate reading also I love polish not english
>>
>>68655671
So when is Blood and Wine coming out?
>>68655702
>hate reading
You stink, loser!
>>
>>68655491
SoD was the best and yes Geralt even though he was a superhuman with white hair and freaky eyes who gets laid all the time was surprisingly not a gary stu.

>he knew how to cast spells but they are literally spells that a 13 year old apprentice surpasses and his spells that he knows are considered to be quite pathetic
>sure he is a legendary swordsman but he gets wounded in a lot of his fights and even gets his throat ripped open, ear shot off, becomes a cripple who hobbles around for a while, takes serious wounds that require time to heal
>requires a lot of help from his close friends and allies
>Literally gets mortally wounded by a lowly peasant with a pitchfork
>doesn't ever gain a power spike
>has some serious character issues that prevent him to be with the woman he loves cause muh emotions and muh witcher and his relationship with her is quite complex
>gets called out all the damn time by his close friends and gets made fun of because of how he acts
>a poor fucking bum for most of his life who bitches all the damn time about how hard it is to find work and then refusing to take work when he finds it
>>
[Braid tugging intensifies]
>>
>>68655904
>requires a lot of help from his close friends and allies
Didn't Dandelion explain this stuff pretty well in Baptism of Fire? They'd have gone hungry if they hadn't worked together and made soup while Geralt was busy feeling sorry for himself.
>>
>>68653733
I read the whole book series. It's not for everyone, but it worked for me.

The biggest problem, not the shitty women or the worldbuilding, is the pacing. So many fucking pages of descriptions. The books get bogged down in boring bullshit. As the series went on, the story slowed down. At about book 9 it finally fucking stalled. Nothing happened in that book. The book was named Winter's Heart which made sense because the plot froze.

But then there are the reasons why you read it. The pay off. The main characters get their payoff, they get to be big dn heroes with powers. Book 11 kicked the series back into high gear and set the stage for the final book, but the author died and we got 3 great books. Book 12 was the low point, the MC went super edgy, all hope seemed lost, but then book 13 was literally the best kind of fanservice. Every character got their time in the limelight, the MC assumes the role of the big damn hero he needed to. Book 14 was just a big final battle that wrapped up just about everything and felt satisfying.

So yeah. I don't regret reading it. I read through books very fast. But I wish I bought them cheap.
>>
>>68656005
He acts like a major asshole to Cahir and he tells Regis to go away after he saved him and Dandelion because he was a vampire but it's not like the author had Geralt act that way just because. His waifu and daughterfu where MIA and he was in a very depressed and angry state, but yeah Dandelion basically said tough shit you need us and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Geralt can be quite the asshole.
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.