[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT films that let you instantly know if somebody is a pleb when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11
File: blue velvet.jpg (25 KB, 233x350) Image search: [Google]
blue velvet.jpg
25 KB, 233x350
ITT films that let you instantly know if somebody is a pleb when you hear their opinion on it

pic very related.
>>
>>68649346
in what way? i love that film. to me, it's a really fucked up comedy.
>>
>>68649346
So as soon as someone gives any opinion on bv you know they are a pleb? I don't understand.
>>
>>68649346
anytime i hear someone's opinion on something i automatically tell them they're idiots and take the opposite view without ever really explaining myself
>>
M8 IT'S A BRETTY SIMPLE MOVIE: GUY FINDS EAR, GUY GETS KEKED, THE END XD
>>
>>68649346
This is a great film and very accessible by Lynch standards. What do you mean?
>>
ITT: OP gets wrecked
>>
>>68649346
>/tv/ will unironically love blue velvet but hate lost river by gosling
>>
>>68649380
>>68649387
>>68649426
>>68649434
Not op, but I think he means it's a litmus test for whether or not somebody has good taste, but he didn't specify whether or not you're supposed to like it or not.

I think it's fantastic, but not as good as Mulholland Drive.
>>
david lynch as a whole is pretty meh desu senpai

i mean i liked twin peaks but his films just leave a lot to be desired.

the fact that he's a shitty human being who tries to shill you his cult-like 'meditation' club or whatever for a couple grand is also scummy. and by bitching to the fans so showtime pays him more money for making the twin peaks continuation.
>>
>>68649426
I do this when people praise something i secretly love
>>
>>68649740
Fucking pleb
>>
>>68649740
>the fact that he's a shitty human being who tries to shill you his cult-like 'meditation' club or whatever for a couple grand is also scummy.

never heard of that. but, if people are dumb enough to buy into that, it's on them. unless he's taking advantage of seniors or mentally ill people.
>>
File: bill maher our guy.jpg (90 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
bill maher our guy.jpg
90 KB, 1024x576
>>68649843
>mfw

enjoy your DUDE SMALLTOWN USA HAS A DARK SIDE LMAO ITS SUPPOSED TO BE WEIRD AND HAVE STIFF ACTING IT'S 'SURREALISM' BRO lynch films
>>
>>68649964
twin peaks is the ultimate pleb detector
>>
>>68650011
glad we agree that lynch is pleb bait
>>
Blue Velvet is well written, well paced, surreal in Lynch's style, but still linear enough to be digested with relative ease.

It has a good soundtrack, and Hopper, McLachlan, and Dern are well cast.

Are there actually people who have a problem with this movie? If so, reply to this comment.
>>
>>68650066
nice dubs, too bad you're so totally completely utterly wrong
>>
>>68649346
This is the movie that made me get into film
>>
File: LiamOBrien.png (109 KB, 241x295) Image search: [Google]
LiamOBrien.png
109 KB, 241x295
>>68650198
>>68650199
Two sequential posts in the same thread.

This seems rare. I've been here for 7 years and I've never noticed it before. But I've never really checked before either.

Maybe I've caught the 'tism
>>
>>68650178
>well written

no

>well paced

yes

>surreal in lynch's style

its not really surreal at all.

>easily digestible

yes

you didn't include well directed and i think it was. i just really wish lynch could have collaborated with someone else on the script.
>>
File: 1442990539855.jpg (20 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1442990539855.jpg
20 KB, 420x300
>>68649426
>>
PABST BLUE RIBBON
>>
>>68649884
Lynch is just really into Transcendental meditation. He actually offers scholarships for students who practice it.
Lynch is such a weird dude. Like he is really into meditation and all this far east philosophy but he still smokes cigarettes.
>>
>>68650330
>>well written
>no

What do you mean by this?
>>
>>68650330

Not the dude you are responding to, but

How do you disagree about the writing? The screenplay is often referenced as a good example of proper introduction, characterization, and story formatting. It hits all of the standard marks pretty much on the nose as far as story pacing goes. Everyone and everything has a purpose in telling the story, even if the weird stuff stands out.

It's cool if you don't like the story but from a screenwriting standpoint it is par exemplar.
>>
>>68649346
Meh. Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway were better. Am I a pleb now?
>>
>>68650371
The film club I work with at my school actually got a copy of his docu on TM to show, it was pretty shit desu.
>>
>>68650380
symbolism and visual motifs are about as deep as superman in front of a stained glass window of jesus christ in man of steel.

the plot is weird for the sake of being weird. i actually like juxtaposition of the the cheesiness of the daytime scene and the complete unpredictability of the nighttime ones but there is never a progression to anything substantial or resonating.

dennis hopper is sympathetic and has horrible demons of his own but we find that out early on and nothing changes

the chick is masochistic and nothing changes

cooper gets thrown into bizarre situation after bizarre situation and nothing changes.

the characters are basically just going through the motions until the final 20-30 minutes when all of the action and the climaxes take place out of the blue that leaves the audience wondering about what kind of development even took place in any regard.

thats just how i feel. im sure film academics would disagree but you can't sell me a mainstream film and call it surreal or a mystery when it doesn't do either particularly well

not to mention that lynch gets a free pass when things are weird for the sake of it when other directors don't.
>>
Daddy wants to fuck!
>>
File: 1439489373631.png (273 KB, 1529x363) Image search: [Google]
1439489373631.png
273 KB, 1529x363
>>68649346

not a film but...
>>
>>68650449
i completely disagree but i understand how people would think so. can you describe the character development for any of the main characters? i don't mean "this is them in the beginning and this is them at the final 2 minutes of the film" i mean tell me actual character development and how it actually plays into the plot.

and as far as the story goes, i dont think its out of line to say that lynch goes out of his way to make everything more confusing for the sake of it. and not confusing in the "wow this mastery of cinematic language is just blowing my mind!", i mean confusing in the sense that simple plot points like finding out the lady's kid is being held away from her which is fine, but lynch throws in a 10 minute scene of a guy singing half naked that a bunch of hardass gangsters listen to. or it being significant that the lady secretly does like to be abused like its some crazy revelation.

again, i dont hate lynch, but i think he works better when he has somebody to check all his ideas with.
>>
>Dude this movie is so deep!
>>
>>68649346
Se7en

It's ok, but anyone who holds it up as a fantastic movie is a complete pleb
>>
>>68649426
True patrician right here
>>
>>68650815
"ok" is the perfect description for that movie. emphasis on 'movie'
>>
>>68649346
The Star Wars prequels.
>>
>>68650815

Pretty much.

Se7en is fine. Fight Club is fine (I know the link seems like it's Brad Pitt, but it's really the audience). Related, 12 Monkeys is fine. They aren't anything special, but they aren't terrible.

They're just movies and at least they weren't rebooted pre/sequel franchises. Those can be fine too, but there has to be something said for movies that are their own thing.

I file Memento under this same kind of heading.
>>
>>68650748
Could you give an example of a movie with good character development in your opinion, and how it plays into the plot of that movie?

I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely curious about your opinion.
>>
>>68650964
those 3 movies + troy are essential pitt core. what else should be on the list?
>>
>>68651032
Burn after reading
>>
>>68651032
Assassination of jesse james and tree of life
>>
File: test.jpg (76 KB, 485x720) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
76 KB, 485x720
>>68649346
>>
>>68651032

It's not very good but I guess Meet Joe Black is an essentially Brad Pitt centric film.
>>
>>68649472
what do you think makes that invalid? BV is a much more expertly crafted film than LR
>>
ONE THING I CAN'T FUCKING STAND IS NORML PLEBS THEY MAKE ME FUCKING PUKE
>>
>>68650977
its quite obvious, but since i just rewatched it its fresh in my mind: raging bull.

not to sound too IMDB "film major" on you but Jake's descent, well a dizzying spiral would be more appropriate, into paranoia, aggression, and depression is executed to perfection.

we see in the beginning that he's a flawed character. we know he managed to keep his demons inside of him for the time being. and whats interesting is that we get the idea through his desire for violence and obsession for success and his lust for that chick that he almost wants to exhibit his self-destructive qualities. control over these emotions is directly tied to his control over things out of his control: the girl hanging with the mafia guys, him losing fights on decision, and his brother going his own way builds up until we see the eventual explosion of emotions and meltdown after.

its not trying to reinvent the wheel. its not trying to shock people just to shock people. its a completely different film than blue velvet but there's a clear level of attention to characterization towards all the main characters that is handled at the right pace, reactive to the right actions, and the right amount of emotional confusion that the audience feels towards the development the character goes through.

it might not be fair since its a universally acclaimed film but the point still stands. can you please tell me what was wrong with my criticism of the characterization in blue velvet?
>>
File: 1457678881397.jpg (109 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457678881397.jpg
109 KB, 1024x1024
>Literally bought an original poster of this movie yesterday
>/tv/ is shitting on it now
>>
>>68651246
Plenty of people have bad taste, don't feel bad.
>>
>>68651246
why do you even give a fuck, you're concerned about the opinions of literally the lowest, most retarded people on the planet. no one on this board is speaking an original thought. literally every opinion you read on this board is a regurgitation of a review that someone read or heard somewhere else. or they're just parroting what the other mindless retards are screaming the loudest about. do yourself a favor and ignore 99% of what you read on this board and learn to develop your own opinions.
>>
>>68651246
don't worry anon, it's not like anyone will ever be in your room
>>
>>68649346
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4
>>
>>68650815
Patrician Fincher film ranking coming through.

God tier:
>Gone Girl
>Zodiac
>The Social Network

Good tier:
>Panic Room
>Se7en
>Fight Club

Ok tier:
>Benjamin Button
>The Game
>Dragon Tattoo

Shit tier:
>Alien 3 though this barely counts because it was never really Fincher's movie
>>
File: 1457532752581.png (2 MB, 1440x1426) Image search: [Google]
1457532752581.png
2 MB, 1440x1426
>>68651278
My taste's not that bad.
>>68651296
I guess, movies are about enjoying yourself anyway.
>>68651338
I have a girlfriend
>>
>>68651412
>I have a girlfriend

how fat is she?
>>
File: 1456724620081.gif (1 KB, 100x110) Image search: [Google]
1456724620081.gif
1 KB, 100x110
>>68650748

0449 here

I would say that the film actually does involve character development. Jeffrey goes from being naive and curious to a freak-fucker who can't stay away. The character we see in the beginning of the film has changed significantly by the end, after doing everything he did and seeing everything he saw. How is that not a character change to you? I will admit that other characters were pretty static, but i also think that this movie holds up very well as a piece of singular entertainment.

Also, as to your story claims, i can't disagree that he's weird but i think you're blowing this film's strangeness out of proportion. There are only a few interstitials of what you would say don't contribute to the narrative, but i think they serve to characterize the world and the overall atmosphere of the setting. That said, i think you will find it irrefutable that this film is considered and excellent example of film pacing and overall story development.

Act I,II,III, story points AB and possibly C. Definitely climax and resolution. Epilogue. It's all there bruh
>>
Enter the void
El topo
Fight club
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
are on my how to spot a pleb
>>
File: 1458078523190.png (262 KB, 540x538) Image search: [Google]
1458078523190.png
262 KB, 540x538
>>68651539
Normal weight, when I met her she was kind of chubby so I made her hit the gym with me and now she lost all of it thanks to caffeine pills, creatine and a bit of clen on the side.
>>
>>68649426

>90% of /tv/ posters
>>
>>68651591
yeah im in the definite minority in how i think this film is average at best and I really do think that everything about it is fine except the script.

the main argument i see in favor of it is that lynch is an artist, and an artist is going to do what he wants. you either like it or you dont. and i just see way more flaws or people thinking the film has depth where i dont think it does.

jeffrey's arc basically boils down to him being tempted and rejecting it. but what actually caused him to reject it? seeing how he hurt sandy's feelings? seeing how dorothy ends up beaten? getting his ass kicked by dennis hopper and his boys? i actually feel like he ends up the exact same character he started as like the entire film didn't even happen.

for the story, its not the strangeness i have an issue with. in fact, i would have preferred the final act to be a lot more dangerous from a sexual and emotional perspective. but the whole conspiracy at the end feels like something from another film entirely and a break from the surrealism. does the film want to be surreal, a mystery, or a crime drama? there's just a lack of cohesion the instant jeffrey gets picked up by dennis hopper in his car. its not strange in a "wow what is going on this is so surreal!" sense, its just strange in a "what the hell is lynch even doing?" one.

and like i said you either like it your dont and i dont. there is a story format of course but its just the way that its handled that it makes everything up to the end feel almost pointless and like a different film entirely.
>>
>>68651243
>can you please tell me what was wrong with my criticism of the characterization in blue velvet?
I would know if it was correct or not, I haven't seen Blue velvet.

I'm just trying to a screenplay and was wanting to get different interpretations of "good character development" and I though your critique sounded reasonably thought out (though vague) and was curious exactly what you meant.

As for
>it might not be fair since its a universally acclaimed film
I'm a firm believer that unless a film is made for kids/teens, it should always be compared to the best. None of this "turn your brain off" crap. I'm not saying every film needs a overly complex plot, but it should be aiming to do what it's trying to achieve perfectly.
>>
>>68651296
>projecting this hard
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.