[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did it all go so horribly wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 284x177
Where did it all go so horribly wrong
>>
>>68640806
Went on for more than 4 seasons
>>
they blew their load after season 1
>>
>>68641065
After Doakes death but after season 4 it became completely shit.
>>
>>68641065
I agree, but you couldn't end the series with that season 4 finale.
>>
>>68641195
it would be better than the lumberjack ending
>>
s02e01
>>
>>68641223
>>68640806
See, what people don't realise is that the writer changed after season 4, that's why the quality nosedived. The original writer has recently said what he would've done for the finale and it's 100% better.
>>
>>68642399
What did he say, anon?
>>
>>68642399
I just Google'd this and I honestly don't think that ending is particularly better than what we got. However, it sure as fuck didn't need 4 more seasons after Trinity, I'm sure they could have managed to get from the end of Season 4 to the end of the series in one or two seasons, as opposed to 4 more.

>>68641180
I kinda liked the season with Lumen (5?)
>>
>>68640806
When the main actor got Cancer and almost died.

also, episode 2 of the final season.

so good until then, better then good.

FUUUUUUUU-

also the third rock from the sun guy should have been around a bit longer, he was really good as vllian
>>
They got rid of the good writers and replaced them with women
>>
>>68640806
Hiring the faggot from six feet under is where they went wrong
>>
>>68642650
That there would have been a whole season of him on the run after being found out by his police friends, in the end he'd get away, only for us to later realised that escape was just a daydream he's having while lying on a metal bed waiting to get the lethal injection, he's monologuing the whole time and the music plays, he looks through the window where the witnesses to execution sit, and they are all the people he's killed throughout the show, one of them being Rita. He gets the injection has some witty last words and dies.

Pretty fitting ending for a quirky show about a likeable serial killer.
>>
Season two was probably the jumping the shark point.

They got rid of the two most interesting foils for Dexter: Doakes (his asshole coworker) and Paul (Rita's asshole ex, who was changed for the TV show to make him a decent dad but a god-awful horrible husband) should have stuck around for a while.

Rita realizes Dexter framed her ex to get him sent to prison and he gets out, fucking Dexter up even as he claims he did it for the purpose of protecting Rita. Dexter loses his job while Doakes takes his side over his colleages and while Rita/Paul try and reconcile for the sake of their kids and the fact that Dexter did what he did to Paul freaking Rita out, Dexter ends up with the british serial killer chick and Doakes gets captured, with Dexter finding out that Doakes only befriended him/stuck up for him to get close to him and find out that he's a serial killer.

Dexter kills the British serial killer and Doakes agrees to spare Dexter in exchange for him letting him help him kill, which gives us a season three storyline where Doakes goes crazy pants killing people, until Dr Dice-O shows up and maims Doakes. Dexter turns Doakes over to the cops, for his crimes knowing Doakes can no longer speak due to Dice-O mutilating him and manages to get his job back as a cop.

Meanwhile Rita and Paul break up again (he realizes that Rita will never love him) and he sues for custody of the kids. Rita and Dexter fuck and Rita gets pregnant. Dexter contemplates arranging to have Doctor Dice-O maim Paul to get rid of him once and for all and get Rita's kids back in her custody, but it backfires on him and he gets his sister's boyfriend captured by Dic-O by mistake as he's roped into stalking Paul as a favor to Rita, in order to try and get dirt on Paul to help Rita get custody of the kids, who would reject Dexter, after finding out that Dexter framed their dad.

Season four can play out as it did with Trinity as Dexter prepares to marry Rita and raise their baby.
>>
>>68641195
You could.

Dexter suffers a horrific Pyrrhic victory: Trinity is defeated but Rita's dead and his first born child now is "cursed" like Dexter was cursed with watching his mother be murdered. Karma for Dexter being a smug fuck as he loses a woman who he grew to have legit feelings for AND has ensured that, his and his adopted dad's sick notions of child rearing, has rendered said child "damaged goods".
>>
>>68641195
With some slight alterations, you absolutely could. His obsession with killing lead to the death of Rita, and he has nobody but himself to blame. It's not a bad note to end on.
>>
First 2 seasons were the only great ones.

I thought Season 2 was great up until the finale, finale was weak as shit. Although one thing you immediately notice when going from season 1 to 2 is the visual flare is gone, Michael Cuesta left after the first season and it really shows. Season 2 almost looks soapy at times.
>>
I watched the entire first season then skipped to the last season and literally only missed 2 major plot points. That's what's wrong with it.
>>
>>68645044
We were never going to get the Johnny Got His Gun inspired killer Doctor Danco-O or Robo-Doakes because of rights issues.

Showtime only bought the rights to the first novel and because the Dexter novels had a bad rep/season one was praised because it streamlined the first novel to get rid of a lot of the bad stuff, they opted to not option the other books, meaning they couldn't use their plots or new characters.

It's also why they hired Keith Carradine to be Deb's boyfriend, since they could not use the one created in the second Dexter novel
>>
>>68645350
While the Dexter novels ARE dog shit, the second one with Dance-O as the villain is ironically the only really interesting one of the entire series in terms of a unique villain and being dark as fuck in terms of how Dance-O maims people (as well as Doake's fate, which was obscenely cruel and only hammer home what a piece of shit Dexter was, in that he was portrayed as thrilled Doakes had his limbs and voice robbed from him so he could never tell anyone the truth about Dexter).
>>
>>68641180

I like to just pretend the show ended after he framed Doakes, that's it. The End.
>>
>>68640806
>kill off his brother, who was easily his best antagonist, within the first two seasons
>kill Doakes and no robo doakes
>pants on head retarded romantic plot lines
>everybody who finds out Dexter is a killer ends up joining him or dying.
>deb. Every single part of debs character was awful.
>>
>>68641180
Season 2 & the chance of him getting caught came way too soon imo. Way to rush to a climax that early in a series.
>>
>>68645209
Again, that's because they only had the rights to the first novel and had to make shit up as they went along after season one.

Hence the soap opera angel and the first "Dexter falls for a female serial killer" storyline they ended up recycling again and again.

>>68645044
In retrospect, they should have ditched Paul all together and made Doakes be Rita's ex.

They could have gotten some mileage out of Doakes being a spousal abuser and no one liking him because they knew full well that he was beating Rita every night when he went home, and used his position as a cop to get away with it.

It could be used to explain why everyone loved Dexter, as they consider him to be a good person and see him as rescuing Rita from Doakes.

Also, why everyone was super-super willing to instantly believe Doakes was the Bay Harbor Butcher: he was an abusive shit who beat his wife and being a serial killer would not be a stretch. And why even after LaGuerta started to find proof that Doakes was framed by Dexter, everyone refused to believe her because Doakes was a wife beater and people pointing out that LaGuerta is just being vindictive over how Dexter went with Rita and not her.
>>
>>68642999
>was just a daydream
cliche as fuck
but even that would be better than the actual last season
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 1334x750
Why did they stop Dexter from being so unaware and awkward?
>Pic related scene
K I N O

http://youtu.be/j9cJqK4mnJc
>>
>deb shoots laguerta
>crawls over to her body crying and holding her like she wasn't the one who just fuckin shot her
WHY NOT JUST LET DEXTER DO IT
MOST OF SEASON 8 SHE WAS MOPING AROUND ABOUT IT
COULD HAVE JUST LEFT AND BE LIKE OK DEXTER DO WHAT YOU DO BUT NO
Fucking deb. I hate everything about her character
>>
>>68645877
They were teasing people. To trick them to keep watching by teasing Deb turning on Dexter and doing the right thing by busting his ass.
>>
>>68645877
Ikr, she literally just had to walk away and go back to the party.
Grade A writing,
>>
http://youtu.be/LVjJRgpuoKU
What were they thinking with the treadmill scene?
>>
rita is so perfect
dat breathy voice dat everything
>>68645988
this gets funnier every time
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 365x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 365x403
>>68646021
>Rita
Nah.
>>
Why does the last season of Dexter feel like a soap opera in terms of how it's shot?
>>
>>68646075
Rita > Hannah > Lila >>>>>>> Lumen
>>
>>68640806
Season 5 and 6 were pointless, season 8 should have been completely different.
>>
>>68646193
and batistias sister > all those
>>
>>68646387
Nah, she was literally a naggy twig.
>>
>>68646129
That wasn't just the last season, every season after the first one looked soapy. First one looked amazing and then it just went away instantly.

Not saying there isn't interesting bits of cinematography in seasons 2,3 and 4 but they look cheap most of the time.
>>
dude murder lmao
>>
>>68640806

Isn't Mr. Robot just technology Dexter?
>>
>>68640806
When Dexter started abandoning his Code. Or, more specifically, when there weren't any reasonable consequences for abandoning his Code. The first two seasons portrayed him as being very careful and meticulous in his methods of operation. How he vets his victims, how he abducts and murders them, and how his disposes of the body. But then he started getting careless, making really stupid mistakes that couldn't simply be waved off as the writers getting lazy. The most startling of which was when he murdered that random dude with the boat anchor in a public restroom for being an asshole. That should have been a definitive moment in Dexter losing all control and becoming a suspect, but absolutely nothing came of it other than some internal monologuing about how he's been losing his shit.

It all could have been working up to something, but in the end the final season wasn't really about Dexter at all. Everything was about Hannah. The authorities were after Hannah, not Dexter. The crime boss dude was only interested in Dexter because of Hannah. Even Deb, who was tackling conflicting emotions in regards to wanting to fuck Dexter, her duty as a homicide detective, and murdering Laguerta to protect him, all too a back seat to helping Dexter protect the woman that once tried to kill her.

When I go off on just how horrible the final season of Dexter was, I like to compare it to Breaking Bad. Imagine if that show ended like Dexter. Hank is sitting on the toilet... and doesn't check out the Walt Whitman book. He never has that sudden wash of realization that Walter is Heisenberg. Walt successfully walks away from being a drug lord and gets away with murder. Only shit, we have an entire season to get through. So here comes an IRS auditor investigating Skylar for her involvement in cooking the books at Ted's company, and Walt uses all his drug money to get her out of trouble.
>>
>>68646193
>Lila>Lumen

Shit taste m8
>>
>>68646915
Dexter got waaaay too much plot armour. Remember when Quinn practically had evidence Dexter was a murderer and just dropped it?
>>
>>68647022
and then they got all buddy buddy in the last season which was super weird
>>
>>68641195
>>68641180
>>68641065
>>68642719
I think this is a pretty good consensus.

I think seasons 1-2 were solid. The premise was fresh and I liked most of the stuff. Season 4 was pretty good too. After that it got pretty silly, felt more and more like CSI shlock
>>
>>68645454
i wouldnt say dogshit, more like drivel.

the incest cannibals, astrid and cody being wednsday and puglsey incest torture addams. Deb knowing about Dex and losing her shit, and everyone in the family turning into a serial killer, along with the ANCIENT SPIRITS OF EVIL was pretty wacky.

the most recent book had a pretty grim fucking ending though.
>>
>>68645454
>>68647165
is it true that doakes turns into a cyborg?
>>
>>68642999
> it was a dream all along

if there was ever going to be an example of bad storytelling, that would have been it
>>
>>68647218
yes, imagine ROBO-DOAKES, as a mix between darth vader, the old mexican man from breaking bad, and droopy the dog. almost catching dexter red handed but not quite.

and his robo-jimmies being perpetually rustled. they cant fire him either because of the ADA, and the cop union. so he just clomps and vader breathes around every corner.
>>
>>68647295
I might just have to read the books
>>
>>68647363
be prepared for chester cheetah levels of cheeseyness.

you will also have a great deal of oh god, eye rolls, and plenty of yukking it up. it goes full on anime later on.
>>
>>68647363
and ROBO-DOAKES has a robot voice now too, since he cant talk, from being partially dissected by a serial killer.
>>
>>68647432
The first book was good, so was the TV show
>>
Personally, I was enjoying Dexter for the most part. Season 1 was goddamn amazing, 2 had some really good moments tangled with some shit ones (like the british girlfriend, killing off Doakes early, etc), 3 was trash and a slog to sit through, and 4 was good more or less all around.

Stopped near the end of Season 5 due to how bad it was getting. How was Seasons 6-8? I plan to eventually finish it off and rewatch Season 1-2 again before trying 5 again.
>>
>>68647504
the first one WAS good, the author started to hate the character later, and the people reading the series.
>>
>>68640806
about the time i found out the chick that played his sister was his wife . they got divorced at some point during the show and it was to much incest for my liking

i mean split personality ghost dad has time to teach him to get away with killing people but not fuck his sister...
>>
So I just read a summary of the first book
sounds like the brian/deb relationship was nonexistent and laguertas death was way way earlier than the show
>>
>>68647525
>How was Seasons 6-8?

Horrifyingly terrible. Do yourself a favor and never watch them, they're not worth your time.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.