[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you say has been the greatest year in film since 2000?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13
File: p162351_p_v8_ab.jpg (379 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p162351_p_v8_ab.jpg
379 KB, 960x1440
What would you say has been the greatest year in film since 2000?

I nominate 2007

>There Will be Blood
>No Country For Old Men
>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
>Atonement(can't say I have ever seen it get mentioned on here but I thought it was pretty good)
>Gone Baby Gone
>Eastern Promises
>>
>There Will be Blood
>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
>Birdman
>Wintersleep
>Güeros
>>
>>68639534
>NCFOM
>TWBB
>TAOJJBTCRF
i love the three 2bh

in my opinion
TWBB has superior cinematography and acting.
NCFOM has a better story
TAOJJ... has feels and a god-tier atmosphere.

The Assassination is my favorite.
>>

>The Dark Knight
>Iron Man
>Tropic Thunder
>WALL E
>>
File: 2007.png (290 KB, 1541x1609) Image search: [Google]
2007.png
290 KB, 1541x1609
>>68639534
>>
>>68639534
You forgot Zodiac
>>
>>68640009
there is 6 trilogies ending that year.

that's kinda a thing.
>>
>>68639918
Although I agree with your assessments, please stop using memes to describe movies. You could do much better I'm sure.
>>
>>68640009

wow

literally all shit

fucking blows my mind sometimes man
>>
>>68640071
thanks for the advice
>>
>>68639918
The assassination has top tier cinematography too
>>
File: Exiled poster 01.jpg (318 KB, 1043x1300) Image search: [Google]
Exiled poster 01.jpg
318 KB, 1043x1300
>Miami Vice
>Exiled
>The Sun

or

>Blackhat
>Office
>The Assassin
>>
>>68639534

OP wtf. you picked a good year but you barely had any of the right movies.

TWBB and No Country are amazing, this is true. Jesse James is pretty good.

Atonement, Gone Baby Gone, and Eastern Promises are all mediocre.

why didn't you include Syndromes and a Century, Offside, Colossal Youth, Zodiac, I'm Not There, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, and Southland tales?
>>
>>68640167

nice calls on the Mann movies. I just rewatched Miami Vice the other day. That scene with Farrel and the woman in the boat is one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched.

I really need to get around to seeing something from Johnnie To
>>
File: Zodiac.jpg (218 KB, 949x1400) Image search: [Google]
Zodiac.jpg
218 KB, 949x1400
>>68640009
Jesus, that's sad.

>>68640025
Fuck. That's in my top 10 films of the 2000s. H-How could I forget that? It is also Fincher's best film
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-08-12-03h04m40s18.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-08-12-03h04m40s18.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>68640243
>nice calls on the Mann movies. I just rewatched Miami Vice the other day. That scene with Farrel and the woman in the boat is one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched.

Colin Farrell's performance in this movie is one of the things I love about it. His faced and eye especially are so expressive. Too bad he shits all over the movie in interviews, now.
>>
>>68639534
2015 was great. Not gonna start listing, but have a poke around. A lot of good movies.
>>
>>68640325

I didn't know that about him. It's always pretty embarrassing when an actor ends up ripping on the movies that were some of the best things they were in. I guess a lot of actors are probably pretty big plebs.
>>
>>68640313

I think Zodiac is way, way better than basically anything Fincher has done.

The Social Network is good too but Zodiac is one of my favourite American movies period
>>
>>68640080
I have seen almost every movie, and would watch em again. they're not terrible. I mean movies now are pretty fucking terrible. plot lines alone.
>>
>>68639534

I don't really have the years ranked but 2011 was pretty damn amazing. It included a movie in my top 10, Margaret, and then all of these:

Meek's Cutoff
A Dangerous Method
Take Shelter
Tuesday, After Christmas
Uncle Boonmee
A Separation
Tree of Life
Certified Copy
Mysteries of Lisbon
Detention
>>
>>68640080

>Bourne Ultimatum
>shit

it's pretty good for an action movie brah
>>
>>68640413
If you've ever been to TIFF or I imagine any film festival and heard the actors talk after the movie, you will find that they are some of the dumbest people you've ever heard talk.
>>
>>68639534
My personal favourites are Inside Llewyn Davis and Zodiac.
>>
>>68640631

I'm glad to say I've never experienced that. I've always kind of just assumed it.

Sometimes I like listening to actors talk on dvd commentaries though. I listened to a commentary featuring Jesse Eisenberg the other night and he actually seemed fairly well-read and he had a good sense of deadpan humour.

I'm sure he's an exception though.
>>
>>68640541
I still haven't seen A Seperation. Is it as good as they say?
>>
I liked 2014, I felt like that year had a wide assortment of quality flicks, from actually-good summer blockbusters like Winter Soldier, Days of Future Past, and Edge of Tomorrow to award season releases Birdman, Gone Girl, Nightcrawler and Whiplash.

Also, John Wick.
>>
>>68639534

>Eastern Promises
>>
>>68640435

Se7en
>The Social Network is good too
It's his worst one to date.
>>
>>68640765

I think it's a little overrated but it's definitely pretty great. I think people were so blown away by it because they'd never seen an Iranian movie and assumed there wasn't much out there. It's definitely strong but I don't think it's a masterpiece like a lot of people seem to.
>>
>>68640867

Se7en is shit
>>
>>68639534
Easily Brad Pitt's best performance.

Also in general I'd pick
>Leviathan
>The Master
>Eastern Promises
>A Dangerous Method
>The Town
>Blue Valentine
>>
>>68640325
Watch the Special Features on the DVD/BluRay. One of them is how Colin tried to really get to know his character and the creative team had him go along on a "real" undercover drug deal. They use hidden cameras and Farrell is a nervous wreck the entire time. Been years since I watched it, but if I remember correctly one of the "real" drug dealers got in his face and punked him out. He came off like a total bitch.

The movie itself though was actually much better than its typically given credit for. Its brilliant visually and the atmosphere and score are very good. Farrell was a bit too tryhard with the raspy bad boy act, but I still liked the movie and it has aged surprisingly well.

Mann has a great talent for making his films visually impactful. Manhunter, Heat, Miami Vice, Collateral, Public Enemies all have a uniqueness that I can only describe as Mann's. I cant quite describe it, but when you're watching it, you know its a Mann film.
>>
I've always felt 2007 was a remarkable year in film that will probably not be seen again. The Assassination of JJ, There Will Be Blood and No Country are all fabulous diverse takes on the Western genre, including another pretty damn good Western released that summer- 3:10 to Yuma; that's just remarkable that so many great filmmakers made the decision to release a Western (or neo-Western or revisionist Western) in the same year.. To underscore how fantastic the competition was, No Country and TWBB actually filmed in the same small Texas town, at the same time. The scene in TWBB with the oil burst that catches on fire was filmed within shooting distance of No Country for Old Men and No Country actually had to suspend shooting for the day because the smoke from the TWBB was getting in the shot
>>
>>68642134

have you seen Blackhat? it's visually quite astonishing in the same way as all the movies you just listed.

I love The Insider a lot from Mann too though it doesn't try to go for the same kind of visual style he's inhabited since then. It still looks good though and Crowe's performance is all-time.
>>
File: bravomann.png (803 KB, 637x719) Image search: [Google]
bravomann.png
803 KB, 637x719
>>68642356
Is he cinema's greatest hack?
>>
>>68642507

Don DeLillo has included the exact same line in 3 of his books and he's one of the greatest American novelists of the last 50 years.

Lots of great artists will repeat things over the years because they are often preoccupied with the same concerns and will be living in the same headspace as those ideas. Why would it be a bad thing to reuse the line? Ozu remade one of his own movies as did Haneke.
>>
>>68641706
Seven is good the first time you watch it, but upon subsequent rewatches the plot holes and Brad Pitt's absolutely HORRIBLE acting (worst of his career, and thats saying A LOT) drop it down to an average movie.
>>
I think 2013 was pretty good

>Her
>Prisoners
>Nymphomaniac

>>68642150
Wow, really?
That's pretty cool
>>
>>68642595

Pitt's performance really derails the entire movie. The climax in the desert becomes laughable because of his acting when it should be the grimmest scene in the entire film. It's not terrible but it's absolutely nothing compared to Zodiac. One of Fincher's worst for sure and I'm not even a big fan of his.
>>
>>68640009
The only movie I think is crap on there is Ghost Rider. ... oh and Fantastic Four, but even then Ghost Rider is worse. Wild hogs i'd say 3rd.
>>
>>68642356
I love The Insider as well and agree Crow was phenomenal in his role. Spacey won the Oscar that year for American Beauty, and while I can't say he didn't deserve it, I felt Crowe was the best performance that year in his role.

Great example of Mann's range too. He can make films about vastly different stories, with vastly different pace, and in completely different genres, and he is still able to infuse his brand on the film.
>>
>>68642507
Nothing wrong with this.

Its like a wink to his fans. Along the lines of "I'll be back" and similar things.
>>
>>68640009

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST
>>
>>68641706
>Se7en is shit

wew lad
>>
>>68642938

It's one of Fincher's weakest movies.

The script has a high school sensibility of bleakness and moral decay. The hunt is never really all that interesting and most aspects of it feel cliche and overdone. When Spacey actually appears in the movie things get even sillier as you hear the "whoa crazy killer guy" talk about how dark the world is and "whoa jeeze what he's saying kinda makes sense." It's all a little silly. Also Pitt's terrible performance is a serious harm to the movie. I mean it's not terrible but it is definitely not good.
>>
>>68639534
arguably 2000

The Matrix
American Beauty
American Pie
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
The Sixth Sense
Fight CLub
foreign cinema:
Snatch
>>
>>68642652
Listening to him talk during that movie was excruciating. He sounds as if he has a speech impediment half the time, and the other half is just wooden cringeworthy delivery that sounds like a robot was programmed to say his lines.

I vividly remember a few of them:

In the car with Morgan Freeman on the way to one of the murders. Pitts character is telling a story about a bust he made years ago. He says "yea" after every sentence and his delivery sounds like a retarded 3rd grader reading off a card.

At the scene of one of the murders, Pit leans into Freeman and whispers "Tell me, have you ever seen anything like this?"

Except with Pitts delivery, it sounded like "tell ME........HAVE you ever seen anything LIKE this......" with a speech impediment chaser.

I'm not even a Brad Pitt hater. I've actually grown more fond of him over the past 10 years or so, but his early work is fucking horrible. And in my opinion, Seven takes the cake. He was so bad in that movie that his performance alone makes it not worth watching again.
>>
>>68643230
I completely disagree, his early career was the best.
Legends of the fall, river runs through it, Vampire, Seven, 7 years in Tibet. They are all magical movies.
>>
>>68643230

I agree with every word of this my man. I would go so far as to say it's probably one of my least favourite performances in any movie of any seriousness that I can remember seeing more than once. Me and my friends frequently quote this piece of shit line:

"He's a nut-bag! Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!" and laugh at Pitt every time. I mean the line itself is awful but Pitt's halting delivery make it into one of the worst lines I've ever heard in a movie.
>>
>>68643220

I was about to yell at you and then I saw the "foreign cinema" and realized you were having a laugh
>>
>>68643382
well it was made in England, I guess you could classify it as non-foreign.
2000 was still the best year solely based on entertainment value.
>>
>>68642653
Funny Ghost Rider was just on a few days ago while I was sick and I decided to watch it. I knew it would be horrible but I figured Id just watch it for laughs at how bad it was.

I'm pretty sure this movie is what finally sent Nicolas Cage into the bargain bin straight to DVD career he has now. You can tell he shoehorned himself into this role because hes a comic book fag and wanted to play his favorite character.

As I was watching it, I was amazed that somewhere, there was a studio boss that allowed that horse faced jackass to play dress up as his favorite super hero for 200 million dollars. The entire movie was a 40 year old man playing dress up. It was surreal.

The fact that NOBODY was in a position to hit the brakes and shut down production on that bullshit is mind boggling.
>>
>>68643446

I still can't tell if you're trolling

if you're not then I'll be kind and say that our tastes in movies is extremely dissimilar
>>
>>68643516
Why? What movie don't you like in my list?
>>
>>68643586

fuck

I was so distracted by how bad those movies are that I didn't even realize that I don't think a single one of them came out in 2000

well trolled my man, I'm a dummy
>>
>>68643641
Are you actually going to elaborate or hit me with more inane talk, should I leave the thread?
>>
>>68643717

dude you're clearly messing around, just give it up now. you posted a list of movies that are all basic as hell and none of them were even released in the year you were claiming to select. you won, the trolling can stop now. you got me brother.
>>
>>68643037
No. It most definitely IS TERRIBLE. Its so bad its almost comical. It comes off like a comedian portraying a detective with a speech impediment.
>>
File: argonio.png (2 MB, 1311x1253) Image search: [Google]
argonio.png
2 MB, 1311x1253
>you lived long enough to witness /tv/ worshiping Michael Mann

You people are full of shit
>>
>>68643296
Thanks.

Next time just say "I have a 2 digit IQ"

It will save us all a lot of time.
>>
>>68643824

Oh I meant the movie overall. I realize I wrote that confusingly. The performance is all-time bad. The movie is just pretty weak and disposable.
>>
File: 1294550545782.jpg (63 KB, 700x650) Image search: [Google]
1294550545782.jpg
63 KB, 700x650
>>68640191

Calling Eastern promises mediocre...

It's not a cinematic masterpiece but it is a terrifically acted, well put together movie that entertains. It may carry itself a little heavy, but not to the point where it becomes egregious.
>>
>>68643901

why

Michael Mann has always been revered hasn't he?
>>
>>68643935

I haven't seen it in a long time but I think it's one of Cronenberg's weakest movies. I'm a huge Cronenberg fan though so I probably went in with pretty high expectations.
>>
File: jesse-4.jpg (101 KB, 1328x559) Image search: [Google]
jesse-4.jpg
101 KB, 1328x559
Pic related is easily one of the best scenes of all time
>>
>>68643958
His movies are boring and he always finds a way to shoehorn a pointless romance between the main character and some chick
>>
>>68643347
Seriously.

I hadn't really gone off on his performance in this movie for a while, but just rehashing it and getting other people's opinions got me to thinking.

I am trying to come up with a worse performance in a role by a supposed A list actor than Pitt in Seven..........

And I cant think of one.

His delivery, body language, halting, stammering, and marble mouthed pronunciation were a fucking blight on the entire movie.

Im really not even trying to be funny or meme worthy with this. His shit was THAT bad.

Every aspect of his performance. The whole come over for dinner scene where him and Freeman discuss the case, to the scene in the precinct where he says "Yea, yea, this is us" and bend over the chair simulating ass rape.

Its literally the worst performance I can think of.

In all seriousness, can you tell me a worse performance by a supposed "A" list actor in the past 30 years?
>>
>>68644040

his movies usually deconstruct action movie tropes and try to enhance them with a superior aesthetics.

also

>boring

pleb detected
>>
>>68644188
But if it wasn't for Pitt Se7en would be another dull detective movie.
Pitt made that movie with his looks and livelihood, and not getting the credit he deserves is just unfair. It's arguably Finche's best movie right after Fight Club.
>>
>>68644188

I admire your vitriol on this point my man.

I'm glad to see another who shares my revulsion for that performance. Most people I've discussed my hatred with generally don't seem to see it. I've even come across people who think his performance is actually good.

what about Nic Cage in The Wicker Man? that's a pretty atrocious performance. I guess Cage isn't A list anymore but he used to be.

Anyway, it's definitely one of the very worst performances I can think of.
>>
>>68644040
The Keep wasn't that bad.
>>
>>68644351

Zodiac is Fincher's best movie and it ain't even close
>>
>>68643929
The editing sucked too. The final 2 murders were just shoved in there and then Spacet showed up to the station to get arrested.

The spent the entire first act and most of the 2nd act building up the mystery, then once they reveal the motive, the next 2 murders are just after thoughts and Spacey shows up to get arrested.
>>
>>68644409
No, that's just wrong, Zodiac is his worst movie. That's like saying Timothy Dalton was the best Bond.
>>
>>68644471

holy shit maximum pleb

why don't you like it?
>>
>>68644480
Pacing problems, weak leads, no action, just two guys talking in a rooms most of the time. It was a snoozefest you can tell by its weak Box Office gross too.
>>
>>68644535

please for the love of god be bait

people like you are the reason this board is so awful
>>
>>68640867

ur a retard

social network is one of the best modern movies, a masterpiece

idiot
>>
>>68644371
Cage alone is enough. Doesnt matter what movie it is.

Somehow from 95-2003 or so he fooled the world into thinking he's anything other than a horsefaced jackass suited to roles as the weirdo sidekick.

For my money his worst performance (which is like judging which pile of shit smells the worst) is Snake Eyes.

Thats actually on par with Pitt's performance in Seven.

Another role that was close to as bad as Pitt in Seven was Pitt in "Sleepers".

I'm from New York, and I dont know what the fuck kind of coaching Mr. Pitt got from the studio for his accent, but throughout the entire movie he sounded like a mildly retarded man with a speech impediment. Unwatchable. Especially for me and my friends who have that accent and grew up around people with that accent. It was astonishing to me that the highers ups allowed such a laughably bad accent make the final cut.
>>
>>68644689

Pitt is truly awful in Troy too.

It's hard to believe that the guy responsible for these performances also gave us his performance in Moneyball (my favourite performance of his, a truly great performance), Tree of Life, and Jesse james.
>>
>>68644567
Thanks, but I don't see how that makes Zodiac any better. It's still his weakest work.
>>
>>68644751
>>68644689

Meh, I'd still take any movie Pitt made in his early-mid 30s over it.

Cage has a wider range as an actor, he just doesn't care really anymore, he figured he can make easy millions for a few days of work, can you really blame him? He already has an Oscar.
>>
File: 12412342344.jpg (69 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
12412342344.jpg
69 KB, 1366x768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KETkuCZRb20
>tfw
>>
>>68644033
>mfw that music
>>
File: 1439829512963.jpg (18 KB, 366x354) Image search: [Google]
1439829512963.jpg
18 KB, 366x354
>>68645471
>>68644033
I gotta say /tv/ I dont believe in anything magic happening in my life, but when I saw this scene something strange happened inside me, felt like watching something out of this world, the mystery of this scene still puzzles me, the music, the light drawing the shadows of a frozen in motion scenery.
I never told anybody this, because nobody I know saw the film,
showed to my familly and every single one of them fell asleep, some even twice.

like what the fuck man, I need more
>>
>>68645867
I feel the same.
I don't even want to watch the video, i want to save that feel for when i rewatch the movie again, so it feels more powerful.
>>
Children of Men
>>
>>68646459
Damn 06 my bad off by a year coulda sworn....
>>
>>68639534
I think most people will agree with you. 2007 was a good year for film.

>>68646531
These things sometimes have some spillover into the next year. IDK how this stuff works, I just know Pan's Labyrinth and The Illusionist are both 2006 and I always think of them as 2007s.

Both great films with fantastic soundtracks if anyone out there hasn't seen them yet.
>>
>>68645867
Those faces being lit by the sparks of the train
The ambiance of the music
The ruthless behavior
Jessie stays calm and cool adding to the intensity
"You're going to have to make me."

This movie is actual perfection realized but this one particular scene is just art.
>>
>>68642652
first time I watched it was two years ago
and I watched it, regardless of being awake for 28 hours, but I was dozing off at that final scene and thinking back to how trippy it was, suddenly returning to full consciousness and that tense music with Brad Pitt putting his gun down then putting it back up again like 4 times makes me laugh now
that shit was pretty horrible to watch when tired.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.