[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come the concept of using several short stories in one movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12
File: dollfamily.jpg (195 KB, 1280x704) Image search: [Google]
dollfamily.jpg
195 KB, 1280x704
How come the concept of using several short stories in one movie isn't used more?
>>
File: Hyperion_cover.jpg (56 KB, 230x400) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover.jpg
56 KB, 230x400
>The marvelous organic computer wedged in my skull had dumped its language content like a flawed program. The right hemisphere was not without some language – but only the most emotionally charged units of communication could lodge in that affective hemisphere; my vocabulary was now down to nine words. For the record, here is my entire vocabulary of manageable words: fuck, shit, piss, cunt, goddamn, motherfucker, asshole, peepee, and poopoo.

>A quick analysis will show some redundancy here. I had at my disposal eight nouns, which stood for six things; five of the eight nouns could double as verbs. I retained one indisputable noun and a single adjective which also could be used as a verb or expletive. My new language universe was comprised of four monosyllables, three compound words, and two baby-talk repetitions. My arena of literal expression offered four avenues to the topic of elimination, two references to human anatomy, one request for a divine imprecation, one standard description of or request for coitus, and a coital variaton which was no longer an option for me since my mother was deceased.

>All in all, it was enough. I will not say that I remember my three years in the mud pits and slime slums of Heaven's Gate with fondness, but it is true that these years were at least as formative as – and probably more so than – my previous decades on Old Earth.

>I soon found that among my intimate acquaintances – Old Sludge, the scoop-shovel foreman; Unk, the slumyard bully to whom I paid my protection bribes; Kiti, the lice-ridden crib doxy whom I slept with when I could afford it – my vocabulary served me well.

>"Shit-fuck," I would grunt, gesticulating. "Asshole cunt peepee fuck."
>"Ah," grinned Old Sludge, showing his one tooth, "going to the company store to get some algae chewies, huh?"
>"Goddamn poopoo," I would grin back at him.

really? jesus christ
>>
People want to pay ONE to see ONE movie. If you start to do math on what you're doing, people will start hating it. And bad reviews are bad sales.

Seriously, if I got see a movie featuring 3 vignettes, and one of them suck, then I was robbed of six and a half dollars. I will not speak kindly of the production.

The studios are beasts of money. They do what makes money. Or try to. This is one that will never be a 100% sales guarantee, even if 66% of the movie is perfect.

Double-damage is the bad vignette is in the middle.

Also, I fucking loved Magnetic Rose.
>>
>>68635911
Because cable and then the internet happened.
>>
>>68635911
Because that's called a TV show not a movie you dumb nigger.
>>
>>68635911
They do, didn't you see bvs?
>>
>>68636023
Wow, that's actually a really good point.

And yes, Magnetic Rose was a wild ride.
>>
>>68635911
whats the point of having multiple short stories and calling it a movie when its just a fucking tv show
>>
>Kassad screams and pulls away. Strips of his flesh rip away as he lunges up and sideways. Metal teeth click shut in a steel vagina, missing his glans by a moist millimeter. Kassad slumps on his side, rolls away, hips moving, unable to stop his ejaculation. Semen explodes in streams, falls on the curled fist of a corpse. Kassad moans, rolls again, curls in a fetal position even as he comes again. And again.

really? jesus christ
>>
>>68635911
Are you aware of the concept of an anthology

V/H/S and it's sequels and Trick r' Treat have done this, and Movie 43 absolutely failed at it.
>>
>>68636006
Aah yes, that seems to be from Martin Silenus' tale in Hyperion.

A good book, would recommend.
>>
alice in wonderland
>>
I don't know. But, I loved the art direction in Cannon Fodder and Magnetic Rose was really beautiful too. Stink Bomb was kinda shit, though. So, for me, 66% is not a good average.
>>
>>68635911
it is still used, the Jews just don't think it's profitable.

see: Trick r Treat
>>
>>68636114
Well for one, movies usually tend to have a way higher production value.

Also, why is this turning into a hyperion thread?
>>
>>68636006
>>68636134
That's a good ass book
>>
>>68636202
>>68636023
oops. didn't read your post. you already said what i was thinking. ;)
>>
A movie is a short story.

A TV series is better for showing a whole novel, or short stories as well.
>>
File: na.jpg (37 KB, 273x400) Image search: [Google]
na.jpg
37 KB, 273x400
>>68636134
Naveen Andrews as Kassad.
>>
not as many good stories as rashomon
>>
>>68635911
I assume because people don't like having to sit through several short stories at once, and prefer a TV episode format for those.
>>
the movie was pretty meme but still good
>>
>>68636309
Ewan McGregor as the priest
>>
Mandy as Sol
>>
>>68636801
damn, that's like the exact mental image i had
>>
File: 5151.jpg (27 KB, 250x367) Image search: [Google]
5151.jpg
27 KB, 250x367
>>68636979
I'm just getting started.

David as John Keats
>>
DeVito as The Poet
>>
>>68637114
kek
>>
Neeson as the Consul
>>
File: odedfehr.jpg (6 KB, 171x253) Image search: [Google]
odedfehr.jpg
6 KB, 171x253
>>68636309
>implying
>>
>>68635911
Doll family..
Doll house...

You just want me to quote that degenerate line from Storytelling dontcha senpai
>>
>>68637289
That is way better, nice find.

Cate Blanchett as Meina Gladstone
>>
File: michelle-rodriguez-4.jpg (378 KB, 1467x1109) Image search: [Google]
michelle-rodriguez-4.jpg
378 KB, 1467x1109
Rodriguez as Brawne Lamia
>>
That's all I got.

Maybe one day we'll get the Hyperion movie we deserve.
>>
>>68635911
It is. Most just suck. Watch Night on Earth and Wild Tales.
>>
What has this thread become?
>>
>>68635911
because no matter what one of them will be the weakest part and one of them will be the best. People will just watch the good ones and skip the bad. There's no point, you might as well just release them on their own.
>>
>>68636006
Hyperion is a strange book. Especially the entirety of the Kassad (was that his name? The soldier guy) story is really embarrassing and stupid.
The story that goes full on into horror territory with the people stuck into the Shrike's tree, as well as IIRC the actual encounter with the Shrike, are very good though.
>>
magnetic rose is a fucking masterpiece

the other two are forgettable
>>
>>68636134
what
>>
>>68635911
too scared of decapitating one of the lead actors
>>
>>68638909
Reality is embarrassing and stupid m8.

Especially vagína dentata.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.