[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It wasn't so bad. How would you rank this in their catalog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 156037_poster_1.jpg (569 KB, 1357x1920) Image search: [Google]
156037_poster_1.jpg
569 KB, 1357x1920
It wasn't so bad. How would you rank this in their catalog?
>>
>>68621024
Way down near the bottom because their body of work is breddy gud.
>>
It's better than their worst films but worse than their better films.
>>
It's a very middling movie. It really just petered out at the end, the story didn't feel in any way resolved. I would rank it above Burn After Reading but way below any of their good films.
>>
It's a slight film, but very good just the same. Funny, great characters, poignant musics on Hollywood and the period.
>>
File: jonah-hill.png (289 KB, 415x849) Image search: [Google]
jonah-hill.png
289 KB, 415x849
>>68621024
D R O P P E D
>>
>>68621188

Burn After Reading at least made fun of itself for ending stupidly. This movie doesn't do that at all and everyone in the theater's just like, "What the hell was that?"
>>
It was alright. As usual, the marketing was terrible for Cohen movies
>>
>IM KINO
what did they mean by this?
>>
It's a poor man's Big Lebowski but a poor man could do a lot worse.

Fun shaggy dog story / 10
>>
>>68621293
"in the cinema"
>>
>>68621224
>Not watching a Coen Brothers film because there are Jews in it
So you haven't seen any of there films then?
>>
>>68621024
Their George Clooney films usually suck.

1. Fargo
2. No Country for old Men
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Barton Fink
5. A Serious Man
6. Inside Llewyn Davis
7. Blood Simple
8. The Man who wasn't there
9. Miller's Crossing
10. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
11. True Grit
12. Raising Arizona
13. The Hudsucker Proxy
14. Hail, Caesar!
15. Burn after Reading
16. The Ladykillers
17. Intolerable Cruelty
>>
>>68621224
Doesn't he only appear for 1 minute in the movie?
>>
>>68621024
It was great actually. Wouldn't want to rank though, it stands out as its own thing with the water ballet and tap dancing and all. Even if the characters and dialogue weren't as compelling it would be worth a worth for that stuff.
>>
Near Lebowski, much better than BAR. People somehow still aren't prepared for unconventional plots in Coen bros. movies.
>>
>>68621024
This is actual cinema, only plebs disagree.
>>
>>68622357
I disagree and I'm definitely not a pleb, so this seems wrong.
>>
>>68621322
>It's a poor man's Big Lebowski

this is so dumb it hurts
>>
File: The-Room.jpg (100 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
The-Room.jpg
100 KB, 640x359
>>68621024
>it wasn't so bad

what an endorsement, mark.
>>
>>68622404
Pussy
>>
Easily one of the most boring Coen movies ever
>>
>>68622357
I agree
>>
>>68622489
not boring at all, actually. i was thoroughly entertained throughout.
>>
>>68621188
BAF was just as middling but hilarious in parts, with better acting and more distinctive cinematography. The completely cynical, almost lazy ending bothers me but at least it's memorable
>>
Was honestly a bit put off by how white it was. It felt like a movie from the early 90's.
>>
>>68622384
Sounds like something a pleb would say
>>
>>68621024
It was essentially two unfinished plots. IMO I would have enjoyed to see the Johansson plot of her finding a suitable husband which could have been the southern guy story. While Clooney could have been implied he was the father. They should have left out the Channing Tatum gay/spy plot altogether. Wasted potential if you ask me.
>>
>>68621024
Pointless cameos: the movie
>>
>>68622654
But then they wouldn't have had that great musical number
>>
>>68621224
How can you be so retarded that you didn't know he was Jewish, Anon?
>>
>>68621024
woodititwer so seimple
>>
>>68622762
Well they did make that great water scene.
>>
Besides Ralph Fiennes performance I thought Scarlett was fun. That's my problem with the film. There just wasn't enough of them.
>>
>>68621024
If you are old or watched a lot of old movies to understand all the genre ls they are parodying, you'd think it was great.

If you haven't, then you think it's one of their worst.

In reality it's somewhere in the middle of their filmography.
>>
File: tumblr_o12fw9zZnw1v51j7oo2_540.gif (2 MB, 540x237) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o12fw9zZnw1v51j7oo2_540.gif
2 MB, 540x237
>>
>>68623766
>If you are old or watched a lot of old movies to understand all the genre ls they are parodying, you'd think it was great.

This is correct. Berkeley is key, especially this film I think, here in it's totality. Even if you don't feel like watching, i'd recommend the musical numbers, the final sequence.

https://youtu.be/xZp-s4wIc_s
>>
>>68624101
That must have been a big budget film for it's time. I guess what they used to cal a big-budget extravaganza. It makes me wonder why didn't the Coen bros just come out and satirize that film.
>>
It's not bad, but it's not that good, either. It's fine.
>>
>>68621585
I would put this between O brother and true grit
>>
>>68621585
>16. The Ladykillers
Why would you put it so low? I was a great movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1MQXRJ4s8
>>
So, name some of these old movies they are parodying. I can only think of Spartacus.
>>
One of my favorites of theirs tbqh.

>you've just got to have faith, maaan
>>
>>68625301
The Gang's All Here, The Golddigger series, Obviously the HUAC stuff.
>>
The sailor parody was so fucking spot on, one of the most genius film moments of the year by far.
>>
>>68626514
Agreed, seriously joyful, exemplary scene
>>
I haven't seen it and have no desire to either. I didn't see the one about the folk singer either.

I just want them to go back to making real movies.
>>
>>68626728
t. a real fan
>>
>>68626728
"the one about the folk singer" is great though
>>
>>68626865
*tips behind you*

They're becoming garbage and it makes me sad.
>>
>>68626911
Literaly how would you even you know?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.