[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best movie of the year and one of the best comedies of the current
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: Everybody Wants Some.jpg (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Everybody Wants Some.jpg
1 B, 486x500
best movie of the year and one of the best comedies of the current century
>>
>>68620334

I agree OP. Linklater seems to be in one of his peak modes right now.
>>
is it as good as Dazed and COnfused
>>
>>68620334
I really need to fucking see Dazed and Confused, because if it's even half as good as this I'll be extremely happy.
>>
>>68620826
Dazed and Confused is a top 100 movie of all time.
>>
>muh slice of life

linklater dickriders pls die
>>
>>68620858
Oh, well I'm definitely seeing it then.
>>
Go easy on the hyperbole. It's a great and refreshing movie but it's no Dazed and Confused.
>>
>>68620826

oh shit bro why are you not watching that this afternoon? I prefer Dazed overall but it's pretty damned close.

Dazed is one of my absolute favourite movies. Unlike Everybody Wants Some it takes place over the course of one day and it's less overtly philosophical than EWS. I think I love the characters a bit more in Dazed though. Both movies are remarkable in that they make me feel extremely happy to be alive.

Seriously though you could be watching Dazed right now. Get the Criterion rip, it looks way better than the dvd.
>>
>>68620901
>he never had friends
>>
>>68620924

I'd say it's almost as good as Dazed

also name me some comedies better than it in last 16 years and name me a better movie that has come out this year pls
>>
>>68620974
I'll see what I can do, I been meaning to watch it ever since I saw this (saw it a second time yesterday).

I'll look into it.
>>
>>68621045

I saw it for the second time yesterday too. I expect I'll probably see it another couple of times before it leaves theaters.
>>
>>68620901
Ouch
I cut myself on this edgy post
>>
>>68620334
seems dumb enough to cater only to the americans
>>
>>68620334
How long did it take to make?
>>
>>68621116

>Linklater
>dumb

are you a literal retard
>>
>>68621009
Superbad off the top of my head. I'd say Hail Caesar was better but I concede 2016 is an absolute shit year and Everybody Wants Some is one of the best movies by default. It's a worthy sequel to Dazed but in no way does it surpass it. I don't think it's really even that close.
>>
>>68621186

"eeeh hee tee investing time in a movie is funny eeeh heee tee"
>>
>>68621259

I think it's pretty damned close and Dazed is one of my favourite movies. What about it do you think keeps it from those heights?

I think EWS is way, way better than Superbad but I do like Superbad quite a bit. Hail Caesar is good too, underrated even, but I don't think it really comes near EWS.

The year hasn't been that bad so far I don't think.

Sunset Song would be my runner-up for the year so far and it's pretty damned great.
>>
>>68621265
Okay, if you're ready to talk like an adult, can you answer my question please?
>>
>>68621329

Your question is a childish mockery of Boyhood, why would I answer it?
>>
>>68621363
I see you're not ready. Please don't reply to me again, kiddo.
>>
>>68621402

I hope your day is going well
>>
>>68620334

Peak period for Linklater right now it seems
>>
>>68621317
The cast of Everybody Wants Some has nothing on Dazed and Confused. No one even approached the level of Wooderson as far as break out roles. There was a deeper level of authenticity to the acting in Dazed. Dazed was more universal and dealt with ennui, there was less overt glamorization going on. Dazed had good female characters to round out the cast. I still really liked EWS and am happy with it as a sequel but I don't think it even approaches Dazed.
Also while there have been some great movies this year it's been pretty fucking dire for major releases.
>>
>>68621737

I actually think Finn might be the strongest character in both films. The main characters in EWS are more developed than the ones in Dazed, though all of the characters are distinct in Dazed there is less time spent with each of them given the sprawl of the film so I think there is more depth in the central characters in EWS. I agree with your comments regarding the acting authenticity. The authenticity in Dazed in general is stronger, I think Linklater knows that EWS feels a little artificial though. It feels kind of utopian, I think it's meant to be in the same way that Before Sunrise is, it's fueled by a youthful perspective of optimism. Linklater has talked about the college experience being liberating after high school because of the freedom you're given, which is definitely a contrast you can see in the films as Dazed is so preoccupied with the anti-authoritarian bent of the kids.

I think the lack of good female characters is pretty much deliberate. I do think Beverly is pretty good though she isn't given a whole lot of space in the narrative. I think the movie is very much about physicality and what it means that this group of dudes base their entire existence around their physical abilities.

I also think that EWS deals with ennui in the same way as Dazed though a bit more obliquely. The 30 year old ballplayer, and the discussions the characters occasionally fall into regarding what their futures will look like when they inevitably do not become pros, etc. I don't think that Dazed's ruminations on the end of that youthful period make it intrinsically better though. As I mentioned earlier, I think EWS is meant to feel more full of life.

Anyway, we both liked it so that's what matters. It might improve for you when you check it again I think though.
>>
Itt shills
>>
>>68622444
>discussing a movie that recently came out
>shills
You've cracked the code, anon.
>>
>>68622444
They're not even being subtle anymore.
>>
>>68622003
Finn was pretty great and I loved some of his quotes but he still didn't feel completely real compared to a Wooderson or a Randal Pink Floyd. Most of the other characters also felt like they were lines on the page first if that makes any sense. My favorites were the Captain and the epitome of bro-dom Plummer, they both felt like the most authentic in their simplicity/complexity. The main character was a black hole unfortunately and Beverly almost won me over but also ultimately rang hollow which is a bad thing for the lone female character in the movie. I don't see why there couldn't have been a baseball bunny girl or someone that the guys knew and could talk to for a least one scene. I know baseball teams in Texas are probably the epitome of masculinity and the movie was exploring that but the lack of any female portrayals like in Dazed and Confused was a big drawback and made it feel less real. I get the whole movie is supposed to be escapist fun, and it wasn't completely devoid of darkness and philosophizing, but when the argument is that the most fun parts of our lives are when we are getting wasted and hanging out and have little-to-nothing to do with adhering to societal conventions there's a bit of a disconnect when portraying it in such an idyllic and borderline unachievable way. It's a lot easier to say fuck it when you are a handsome college baseball player in Texas in the 80s.
>>
>>68620901
How much of a contrarian do you have to be to not even ENJOY Linklater movies? Especially this one.
>>
>>68620788
t b h yeah.
>>
>>68620334

best comedy I can remember basically
>>
Torrent out?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.