[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars Episode VII: Heir to the Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
Imagine an alternate universe where instead of Disney buying Lucasfilm, Episode 7 was made by 20th Century Fox like the other 6 as a direct adaptation to Heir to the Empire.

How do you think it would have been received compared to The Force Awakens? Do you think it would have been a better film?

My immediate thought would be that Lucas would be considered a hack for adapting an already existing story, instead of making his own. What do you think?
>>
>>68278526
It would have been shit. The EU is shit
>>
>>68278526
>Emperor clones
>some blue dude
>Luke becomes OMG evil

Shit is stupid. You are just biased by your nostalgia.
>>
>>68278526

The only thing i know is that /tv/ would have complained about it.
>>
>>68278569
That was Dark Empire, dummy.

The only thing you got right was the blue dude
>>
>>68278569
>I know nothing but I'm going to pretend I do
>>
>>68278526

> Do you think it would have been a better film?

The big problem is that It'd be more heavily reliant on the original cast of Hamill, Fisher and Ford. Ford did ok in a nostalgia role, but generally it looks like these actors aren't capable of carrying a film any more

If they wanted to do heir to empire they needed to do it 20 years earlier
>>
The era depicted in the X-Wing series, when the empire split into warlord factions following the emperor's death, would be the best part of the EU to adapt. isaard and zinj are some of the only good villains in the entire EU
>>
>Luuke Skywalker

No.
>>
Lucas would've shat on the EU with a righteous fury. If you get Thrawn or Kyle it'd be so they can make fart noises at the audience. Not trying to trigger any fags on this board, but I don't see Lucas making a good Episode VII no matter how you slice it.
>>
>>68279174
Mark Hamill is a fantastic voice actor, so just fuck him and put him in Darth Vader armour and you're sorted
>>
>>68279377
>when the empire split into warlord factions
They should have just extended this concept for TFA. The galaxy being split into a bunch of different factions, with a self declared New Republic that was only partially in control of a bit of the galaxy would make more sense, and then the New Order is Snook taking over various imperial fragments.
>>
>>68279410
You do know that was an April fool's joke right?
>>
>>68278569

why do you pretend you know anything?
>>
>>68279600
He made Darth Bane sound like a goofball. His range is unthreatening hippy to scratchy bulldyke.
>>
>>68279642
Luuuke was a joke.
Luuke was a real character in the Thrawn books.
>>
File: u0vzt5lke2gxi2y1zrnb.png (2 MB, 1920x796) Image search: [Google]
u0vzt5lke2gxi2y1zrnb.png
2 MB, 1920x796
>>68279377
>>68279619
Thats essentially what happened in the new canon.

Its canon that there are OTHER empire-remenent fractions other than the First Order. We just haven't seen them utilized in a story yet.

The First Order is just the only one to stick around long enough to make an actual influence on the movies
>>
>>68279701
>mfw someone unironically wrote Luuke Skywalker
What the fuck was he thinking?
>>
>>68279720
>Its canon that there are OTHER empire-remenent fractions other than the First Order.
Prove it. The movie should've mentioned that in the opening crawl. Fuck it pisses me off how JJ threw all world building out the window.
>>
>>68279786
I heard it in an interview with someone from the StoryGroup or something. I can probably find a source but it might take me a few minutes.

I agree with you. There is a LOT of stuff that should have been in TFA. I realize they were trying to play it safe and stray from the politics in the prequels, but honestly if they are going to have this era based so much around politics, they really needed to expand on it in the movies.

It amazes me what little we know about the New Republic from the movie alone. It feels like they cut out an entire half of the film.
>>
>>68278526

>Hot Chocolate
>Same old crew bumping into each other across the galaxy on accident, constantly
>Winning massive battles because the antagonist studies some art
>Crazy Jedi Clones
>Lizards that block the force
>Spy Trees

There's too much retarded shit in that trilogy to make it into a movie, it has it's moments, but after Heir to the Empire everything falls apart HARD.
>>
>>68279786

Hold tight, I think I found a source. I'm just double checking
>>
>>68280265
I just want to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.
>>
The audiobook for HttE is hilarious. the same guy doing the narration and the voices for every character (as far as I can tell)
>>
>>68280322
>>68279786

Yea I can't find an exact source. The best I have is multiple instances of the empire "breaking apart" into the First Order and things like that.

I guess you will have to take my word for it
>>
>>68280444
That's standard practice across the board, chief
>>
>Love Star Wars
>Never read a single novel besides Jedi Apprentice: The Dark Rival when I was a wee lad
>Hear Thrawn trilogy is the best, give it a shot
>Thrawn and Pellaeon are great
>Han turns into a dutiful husband and dad but still quippy, Leia is a mom who is also a general or whatever, Luke is Luke
>Hear how awesome Mara Jade is
>She just hates Luke the whole time but shares force sensitivity with him, then saves him (maybe not, don't remember), that's her arc (it's fucking nothing)
>Ysalamiri are neat I guess
>Thrawn is still cool
>Fucking clones, Joruus and Luuke
>Clones fighting is the finale
>A literal "which Luke is the REAL Luke?" moment

>These are supposed to be the best Star Wars novels

Just take Thrawn and Pellaeon, ditch the rest, it's fucking garbage. I learned to never read another Star Wars novel again.
>>
>>68280600
>Just take Thrawn and Pellaeon, ditch the rest
I'm fairly convinced everyone who praises these books has just forgotten everything but them.
>>
>>68278526
People would have hated it.
All the intelligent things in the prequels were considered the reasons it was shit.
'w-we just want a basic story about a protag that becomes a hero tehe!'
fuck star wars 'fans'.
>>
>>68279931
>too much retarded shit to make into a movie
>TFA literally has a 3rd fucking Death Star that's at least 5x bigger
>there are people out there who praise TFA as one of the best movies ever made

I think Disney could pull it of desu
>>
>>68280444
That guy is Wedge Antilles my kraut mick friend

I actually got into the EU from listening to the HttE audiobook at work
>>
>>68279720
no it's not you retard
in the opening crawl it literally says the resistance is just against the first order.
>>
>>68280600

This is it 100%

These books are recognized as the best the EU has to offer and what that is is a charismatic but often corny Sherlock-tier villains and tons of horrible fanfic. Fucking Force bubble monkey lizard, for god's sake...
>>
File: Ysalamir Effect.jpg (97 KB, 896x510) Image search: [Google]
Ysalamir Effect.jpg
97 KB, 896x510
>>68279931

Frankly I think the force blocking lizards could be kind of cool. They explain why they work in a decent way.
>>
>>68280538

Listen to Neal Stephenson's books, they tend to have fantastic voice actors.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 450x197) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 450x197
Disney needs to stop the fucking nostalgia train and put out some original content. Should a movie set in the Old Republic era replace the Han Solo movie with Miles Teller, /tv/?
>>
It would've been better than TFA but it would've railroaded them into just following the EU.

Granted all new Star Wars are just going to take the EU and change it around a bit so they should've just not bothered. It's just going to be retreading ground I've already experienced so at this point I just don't care.
>>
>>68280948
>Le epic baseless cynicism
Upvoted! What's VIII copying?
>>
>>68279846
>they cut out an entire half of the film

Welcome to the 21st century film-making. Unless something is happening on the screen, the millenials in the audience are going to lose focus and start playing with their phones.
>>
>>68280749
>>68280538
I dont really do audiobooks so it was a laugh for me
>>
>>68281057
>Han and Leia have a son that turned to the dark side
>Superweapon that destroys systems(but this time it looks like another death star, well done)
>imperial remnant which is an obvious way to go but like I already said, they're treading ground I've already seen done better
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.