[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On my second viewing of Season 1, on episode 4. Goddamn... fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: TrueDetectiveDVDCover.jpg (36 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
TrueDetectiveDVDCover.jpg
36 KB, 250x350
On my second viewing of Season 1, on episode 4.

Goddamn... fucking perfection. It's so fucking disgustingly good. I liked it the first time but not this much. That's a sign of a great show.

I think I still like Sopranos more since you'll always find something new with it every time you return... I don't think that will happen with this. But still, goddamn good fucking show, easily my second favourite after Sopranos. I'm only talking about the first season as I haven't seen S2 but I heard it wasn't as good.

Also best fucking opening sequence ever.
>>
The long take remains the only time I've had sweaty palms from watching a tv show/film

>tfw Pizza was a hack all along and we'll never get another True Detective episodes 1 - 5
>>
>>68273159
I'm still pretty butthurt about the ending. It's like, they pull a thread and start unraveling a huge conspiracy, yet the big bad they take down is just some lonely backwoods redneck.
>>
>>68273159
I feel like the shootout in episode 4 is a tad overblown. Yes, the camerawork is phenomenal in every way, but the whole thing was just a task for the bald guy to try to get info about the meth supplier. I didn't feel like a whole lot was at stake or anything. Season 2's shootout was more engaging: The foreboding music that let you know a mistake was being made, civilians getting caught in the crossfire, each of the protagonists colors shining fully through ala gaycop being in complete control.
>>
>>68273159
18+
>>
>>68273325
yeah thats true

>>68273330
havent reached that part yet but yeah i remember thinking on first viewing that the shootout was definitely ott and unnecessary. i'll see though.
>>
>>68273159
it sucked they didn't carry on with the cosmic horror vibe for S2. i agree S1 is incredible, especially the first half
>>
>>68273325
That's kinda the point. Its a critique on "le grande conspiracy trope"
>>
>green paint
>>
>>68273523
Seems more like a cop-out to me. They didn't even have the characters talk about the futility of going after the members of the conspiracy, they just don't mention it at all after the shootout.
>>
>>68273623
iirc they talk outside the hospital about how they couldn't catch the higher-ups who were really responsible, leading to the stars and light vs. darkness line
>>
>>68273623
>They didn't even have the characters talk about the futility of going after the members of the conspiracy

Huh? Yes they do. Rust and Marty talk about it while Rust is on the hospital bed. Rust had released the documents they had on all the big folks, there's even a news broadcast about it in the hospital during this scene. Rust is complaining that the big guys in charge won't really get punished, and I forget what Marty's reply is but it's there man.
>>
>>68273623

>We didn't get 'em all.
>Yeah, and we ain't gonna get 'em all. That ain't what kind of world it is. But we got ours.
>>
>>68273623
Uh yeah they do. At the end when Rust was in bed, he pretty much deems it a failure. They got their man but there's so much more out there so what's the point. That's where the optimistic outlook that at least we've made some sort of difference comes into play. Its a beautiful ending really.
>>
>>68273330

man I just rewatched season 2 hoping it wasn't as bad as I remembered but fuck it was bad

it was all over the place, too many characters, overly complicated plot and the dialogue literally didn't even make any sense half of the time (especially bad on second viewing)

it had some good things but the whole season felt like a giant missed opportunity to do something great
>>
>>68273330
It seemed fitting to me because the whole investigation was Rust and Marty staring deeper and deeper into the abyss, stepping into the darkness in order to stop ultimate evil. The fact that something as simple as finding the supplier turned into a hellish and ugly shootout (with multiple innocent casualties) in a place that had nothing to do with the investigation definitely adds to that
>>
>>68273523
This. At least half of the worth of true detective season 1 is the meta-discourse. I've said it before on this board, but it reminds me of a central theme in Heart of Darkness, namely, that the "essence" of a thing envelops it rather than sits at the center, like the shell of a nut being more important than the actual meat in the middle.

>>68273623
Read some interviews with fukunaga/pizza. It sounds like you might be missing part of the show.
>>
File: eDIQVh3[1].jpg (149 KB, 1922x1110) Image search: [Google]
eDIQVh3[1].jpg
149 KB, 1922x1110
>>68273826
I literally started watching season 2 a few minutes ago because this thread reminded me of its existence and I need something to watch before thrones and silicon valley start again.

Wish me luck
>>
>>68273826
>and the dialogue literally didn't even make any sense half of the time

Like what?

>it had some good things but the whole season felt like a giant missed opportunity to do something great

Oh most definitely. That's what Pizza gets for not waiting a longer time to finish writing it.

>>68273829
I disagree about it feeling hellish. I see your point, but I really didn't feel at all that Rust was in any danger.
>>
>>68273159
but all this over some dead hoo-ar
>>
>>68273945
That is a great way to look at it
>>
>>68273159
This show made me realise white people are subhumans lol.
>>
>>68273264
>>tfw Pizza was a hack all along and we'll never get another True Detective episodes 1 - 5

not definitive yet. The sophomore slump is common, HBO pushed a deadline on him, and even if he is a fukunaga babby, there's a chance someone nearly as good will take the place of fukunaga for S3.
>>
>>68273965
I personally loved season 2. Most people don't for some reason, I don't know.
>>
File: 1439489373631.png (273 KB, 1529x363) Image search: [Google]
1439489373631.png
273 KB, 1529x363
daily reminder season 2 is pleb filter: the show
>>
>>68273330

What the fuck are you taking about.

The shootout in S1 did have something at stake. In fact it's exactly the opposite of what you're saying.

The shootout in S2 was completely random and didn't make any sense. They were investigating Caspere's death and suddenly there's a shootout with fucking Mexicans? There was literally no buildup, no tension, no characters to care about, nothing at stake. I can't even remember why they went to the Mexicans in the first place. Some girl who pawned some jewels was Mexican? What the fuck did the Jewels even have to do with Caspere?

I mean sure there's an explanation but the season was so horribly paced and jam packed with cringe-worthy dialogue, important plot elements are completely forgettable and that's why the season doesn't resonate - you can't actually remember what the fuck you just spent 6+ hours sitting through.
>>
>>68273623
They actually do and there is the plot point at the end that the retards politician relative who was the brains of the rape cult, used his power to rig the DNA test results to make it appear the two WERE NOT related, in order to damage control shit and discredit Rust and Marty's evidence directly linking the killer to the Tuttle family
>>
>>68273470
Pizzaboi made the mistake of thinking people liked True Detective for the rambling philosophical monologues, not the cosmic horror/conspiracy theme.
>>
>>68274181
>28% just like batman v. Superman
True Detectiveis literally TVkino
>>
>>68273945
>the "essence" of a thing envelops it rather than sits at the center, like the shell of a nut being more important than the actual meat in the middle.
Can you expand on this a bit? I think I understand what you mean with reference to HoD, Kurtz's persona preceding him so greatly and the idea of the man having such an impression on Marlow as it does, and the way this effect is irreparably neutered when Marlow finally finds the embodiment of all those grandiose ideas frail and nearly dead, but how are you relating to TD specifically?
>>
>>68273985
It's definitely very interesting because at its core it's a perfectly acceptable detective story. At its highest level, though, it's so much more. Like the other day some anon was shitting on the character of Cohle because he thought the writers were being pseudo-intellectual by having him spit all that atheist, science, philosophy shit.

However, if you look closely you'll even see Cohle isn't meant to be taken totally seriously. He's an atheist who has a cross on his wall. He says the respectable thing for humanity to do is let themselves go extinct and he (condescendingly) doesn't understand why anyone wakes up in the morning and gets out of bed, but he does it himself in an ultimate form of hypocrisy!
>>
>>68273325
This so much. It makes me wonder.. have I just missed some brilliant point or is it really that simplistic? I mean theres thay whole "the higher ups got away with it" element which adds spook depth but damn
>>
>>68274497

>have I just missed some brilliant point or is it really that simplistic?

maybe read the thread and also realize the hick they got at the end was only the tip of the iceberg
>>
>>68273972
>Like what?

there's no way I'm putting myself through watching it again to find you examples but basically any back-and-forth where frank was involved. especially the conversations he had with his wife.

compare marty and frank when they're speaking to their wives. I mean I get that they were going in a different direction like they were this power couple understanding each other on another level or some shit but I would be watching it and think "this is not how people talk, this is not a sentence anyone has ever said to anyone"

having said that I didn't actually mind the actors. just felt like watching a really forced movie script being played out on the screen instead of being immersed into an actual story where a conversation between two people is taking place, if that makes any sense
>>
File: 1379837870194.gif (320 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1379837870194.gif
320 KB, 300x169
>>68274388
>rewatching and realising that Marty's wife was highly manipulative long before she fucked Rust
>arguably rivals and even beats Marty in terms of moral bankruptcy at points
>>
>>68274533
Read the thread there and feel as though I covered most of that with my "higher ups getting away with it" thing.

Yeah though already the ending is feeling a lot better. Still its hard to get over that cringy bit where the guy is luring rust into the maze and he's like "come get me" lol.
>>
>>68274693
>Still its hard to get over that cringy bit where the guy is luring rust into the maze and he's like "come get me" lol.
Wasn't much cringy about it, he clearly knew the layout well and knew that Rust didn't so he had the advantage there (and was eventually able to get the jump on Rust, just didn't expect his partner to come along), he was a deranged killer with a well established penchant for theatrics so his little games and attempts to toy with Rust add up, as does luring him into the throne room, rather than just popping out from around a random corner, to make his killing more meaningful.
>>
>>68274590
Aye but with an ass like that she can be that way or are you a homosexual?
>>
>>68274579
>there's no way I'm putting myself through watching it again to find you examples

No sense to bring it up then, is there?

>any back-and-forth where frank was involved. especially the conversations he had with his wife.

Like what?

>"this is not how people talk, this is not a sentence anyone has ever said to anyone"

JORDAN: Frank, that's enough.

FRANK: Like it fucking matters. Can't deal with this shit now.

JORDAN: We should talk if we want to reschedule that doctor's appointment.

FRANK: We'll get back on the kid when I get my feet under me.

What's wrong with this exchange?

>>68274388
>However, if you look closely you'll even see Cohle isn't meant to be taken totally seriously

What? Of course he is. Just because someone is a hypocrite does not mean someone can't be taken seriously.

>He's an atheist who has a cross on his wall

>I contemplate the moment in the garden, the idea of allowing your own crucifixion

> He says the respectable thing for humanity to do is let themselves go extinct and he (condescendingly) doesn't understand why anyone wakes up in the morning and gets out of bed

He openly admits he's a coward.

"I tell myself I bear witness, the real answer is that it's obviously my programming, and I lack the constitution for suicide."

You're pointing out things directly laid out to this, friendo.

>>68274225
>The shootout in S2 was completely random and didn't make any sense

Burris and the department tell Velcoro and co. that they have a lead on the Mexican who put a woman up to sell Caspere's diamonds at a pawn shop. They assume this Mexican man who that woman up to it is Caspere's killer, they find out where he resides. There was plenty of build up to this.

>no characters to care about

That sounds like a personal problem.

>nothing at stake

Except the characters.

>What the fuck did the Jewels even have to do with Caspere?

They were his. Why are you even talking about a show you do not fully understand?
>>
>>68274225
>and jam packed with cringe-worthy dialogue

Like what?

> important plot elements are completely forgettable

Oh most definitely.

>>68274882
>Wasn't much cringy about it

Except for the fact that his voice was ever-present throughout the complex even though that doesn't make any sense at all.
>>
>>68273159
Season 1 is some of the best TV to come in out in a long time. Too bad season 2 sucked dick in comparison. Growing up in east and central Texas the show really nailed it with the atmosphere.
>>
>>68275181
You're missing my point. What I'm saying is plenty of people are annoyed by the "pretentiousness" of Cohle, and they think his mind is some kind of extension of those of the creators of the show, but in reality he's just meant to be a trope: the nauseatingly nihilistic worker who somehow remains extremely efficient. This also extends to other areas where he doesn't discount himself, ie when he's talking about membrane theory, life being a flat circle, etc.
>>
>>68275634
There's a difference between saying a character isn't an extension of the writer's own thoughts and saying a character isn't supposed to be taken seriously. He's not just a trope, if you think Pizza didn't put Rust there to get audiences to think about the things he's saying you're loony.
>>
>>68275239
Plenty of Vince Vaughn's lines were whack. They really couldn't decided if he was supposed to be actually menacing or just a softy. For multiple episodes he went on and on about how all he wanted was a child, some kind of heir. Then his girlfriend tells him she can't have kids and after maybe 15 minutes of show time he's totally fine with that.

Gay veteran and Farrell over-acted quite a bit. I'm not sure whose idea that mustache was, but you have to look Mexican or be over 50 years old to be taken seriously with that thing.

McAdams was alright for the most part. Even her character came off as a little more passive than I think was intended.

Also that firefight was shite. 100% percent of non-main characters die? That's so unrealistic. And the headshots.... the fucking headshots
>>
>>68276032
>Plenty of Vince Vaughn's lines were whack.

Like what?

>They really couldn't decided if he was supposed to be actually menacing or just a softy

That's the point. He's trying to be an upstanding citizen, going legit from the gang life. But he has no power there. His arc is him only feeling empowered by reverting to his old ways.

>For multiple episodes he went on and on about how all he wanted was a child
>Then his girlfriend tells him she can't have kids and after maybe 15 minutes of show time he's totally fine with that.

Frank and Jordan knew before the first episode even began that Jordan has problems getting pregnant. Frank tells Ray about cumming in a cup in the first damn episode. He doesn't forget about it 15 minutes later, they have fights about it in the very next episode after the failed blowjob. Then the timeskip.

>Gay veteran and Farrell over-acted quite a bit

Did they? I thought they were fine.

> I'm not sure whose idea that mustache was, but you have to look Mexican or be over 50 years old to be taken seriously with that thing.

Heh.

>Also that firefight was shite

How so? Gaycop was in complete control for the first time in the show it was fantastic seeing him in his element. Bezzerides, out of ammo and scared shitless, pulls out her knife and clearly doesn't want to use it. She is absolutely relieved when gaycop takes out the guy who is going for her. It shows that despite all her shittalking she's just as scared as anyone.

>100% percent of non-main characters die?

You watch TV and this is new to you? I mean I guess I agree but everything else about it made up for it. The foreboding music, the whole thing going awry, etc.
>>
>>68276329
>That's the point. He's trying to be an upstanding citizen, going legit from the gang life. But he has no power there. His arc is him only feeling empowered by reverting to his old ways.

Not at all what I'm talking about. His sphere of work is one thing, personality another. His personality flip-flopped a lot. I understand he wanted out of the criminal world, but he still absolutely saw himself as an alpha and wanted to dominate his competition.

I already gave you the best example I can think of off the topp of my head: wanted nothing but a child and then says I don't give a shit almost immediately after he finds out he can't have a child with his girlfriend.

As for gayvet and Farrell, they both did way too much *stands silently but fidgeting in uncontrollable distruaghtness*. With Farrell it was running his hand through his hair. With gayvet it was shying away and then the sudden turn to the camera with something like "I didn't want this", "you don't know me", etc.
>>
>>68276773
>His personality flip-flopped a lot

Because he'd be talking all nice nice to a city official, or Osip, then he'd show his true colors when he's alone with his wife. This isn't difficult man.

> wanted nothing but a child and then says I don't give a shit almost immediately after he finds out he can't have a child with his girlfriend.

And you are wrong. I pointed this out. They have fights about it.

>*stands silently but fidgeting in uncontrollable distruaghtness*

This happened much less often than you remember.

> With Farrell it was running his hand through his hair. With gayvet it was shying away and then the sudden turn to the camera with something like "I didn't want this", "you don't know me", etc.

As did all of this.
>>
Fantastic show.
Did anyone else cry at the ending? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVlrNKtFLbM
>>
>>68273159

Fukushima's masterpiece tbqh PHAMILIUS
>>
>>68276892
I watched it three times and still every time.
Speaking of which Season 3? When?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.