[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just watched all three Iron Man movies and I want to talk about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8
File: iron-man-2-movie-image-22.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
iron-man-2-movie-image-22.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2000
I just watched all three Iron Man movies and I want to talk about them.

Why does everyone hate Iron Man 3 so much? Even though 1 was better, 3 did the best job at capturing the tone of the comics.
>>
>>68262539
Neckbeard fedora tipping comic book fans were upset that the Mandarin's character was "botched"
>>
Movie is awful even by normie standard
>>
>>68262574

Yeah, there was a lot of butthurt over the Mandarin reveal.
>>
>>68262539
>mandarin destroyed
>capturing the tone of the comics
no
>>68262574
Fuck you.
>>
>>68262628
Do you even know what "tone" means?
>>
>>68262628
>mandarin destroyed
Fuck off comicfag, the Mandarin shit was funny
>>
>>68262680
>capeshit
>comicfag
nah retard, go watch something else
>>68262661
i know you never read an iron man comic in your life if you think the third part is good
>>
>>68262539
Nerds were upset Ben Kingsley didn't fire laser beams out of his fingers. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>68262574
It wasn't even the real Mandarin.
>>
File: GREAT BIG BUSHY BEARD.jpg (411 KB, 1680x800) Image search: [Google]
GREAT BIG BUSHY BEARD.jpg
411 KB, 1680x800
>>68262539
I honestly can't think of any real reason people hate it than the Mandarin stuff.
>>
>>68262769
Yeah, lets do a james bond movie were he is gay at the end a kills women for fun, because fuck the characters, right?
>>
>>68262574
Mandarin, in my mind as a long time Iron Man reader, may be Tony Stark's main nemesis that isn't just a businessman (like Stane) or really, Stark himself.

He is an old and pretty cool character, and while I was disappointed with what they did with him, my real complaint for the "switcheroo" they did with him was the guy behind it was pretty "meh" and bland.

There needed to be a big pay off for a twist like that, so you go "holy shit!" when the real bad guy is introduced. That isn't what happened.

Overall it was pretty good movie though, not great, but good. Some people don't like it was more of a "Tony Stark movie" than an "Iron Man movie", but I have no problem and maybe even like that.
>>
>>68262574
>implying
The twist was just dumb

I don't even read capeshit, so I had no idea he was some magic chinaman
>>
>>68262539
>MUH MANDOORIN
>>
>>68262819
Well they already made Blofeld into his adoptive brother so why not?
>>
Is the whole "Mandarin was WUINED" thing a meme? Who gave a fuck about the Mandarin before this movie? Who gave a fuck about Iron man at all before the first movie?
>>
>>68262539
i never had a problem with it, but most people don't like it because of the twist? i dunno
>>
There's enough small things to dislike about Iron Man 3 for /tv/ users to endlessly harp on about them and say its the worst thing ever. I just wanted to see Iron Man fight the Mandarin and instead he fights another buisness man. Also how can it be most like Iron Man comics if it doesn't have a villain from the comics? They made up all the bullshit with "I am the Mandarin!"
>>
>>68262911
Iron Man was a complete nobody to normalfags.
>>
File: 1452114853431.jpg (79 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1452114853431.jpg
79 KB, 1024x576
The ridiculousness of it felt jarring.
Iron Man 1 felt very grounded but in a good way, because there was a nice contrast between the Stark/Iron Man and the world itself. It was a Marvel film before Marvel films were the gratuitous cgi fuckfests like AOU.
Iron Man 3 just felt intentionally goofy, sort of like the later Saints Row games. Sort of like it tried to come off as "we're not taking ourselves seriously!" while being serious about it.
The one thing I keep remembering from the movie is his army of suits and they all kept getting destroyed and exploding if you hit them once or even looked at them funny, it sort of contradicted the feel of the first film. The antagonists were weird too, they didn't feel right in the context of the film.

I guess that's it. It didn't remotely feel like an Iron Man film.
>>
IM2 was poorly written due to shoving as much as possible into the flick. It felt like the smashed 2-3 screenplays together in order to expand the MCU through the flick. By IM3, every Marvel character became a quip master that it was hard to remember what made IM1 good. The botched Mandarin, generic real villain, kid with a bunch of screen time, and endless suits devaluing the original suit didn't help either.
>>
because they marketed it as a movie about tony facing his demons and coming to terms with the avengers shitstorm, and instead, they shat up every single scene with bad humor, and made the villain a literal joke
>>
>>68262737
>i know you never read an iron man comic in your life if you think the third part is good
Why do you think so? I've read plenty of Iron Man comics and the third movie felt more like I was reading one of the comics than the others did.

Sorry you didn't get to see the comic book version of the Mandarin, but really the Mandarin wasn't even the villain of the movie. There was no actual Mandarin. The villain was the just Killian with Extremis.

If you really think that "tone" = which villain is in the movie and what his powers are, then not only have you probably never read an Iron Man comic, but you also know absolutely nothing about film.
>>
normies loved it thouh... 1,3b at the box office wew lad
>>
1>3>2

All are good movies, except 2.
>>
>>68262884
>>68262901
>>68262911
>>68262810
>BvS
>instead of fighting they start a chess match to solve everything in peace like rational people.
i understand that you don't give a fuck about mandarin, but it was misleading and false promotion for the movie for anyone that knows Iron man.
>Guys! to close the trilogy we will bring the most iconic Iron man enemy! and ben kingsley!
>LOL JK, here, it was fake all along, have a bland boss in the end
if you can't see aproblem here i'll take you are shitposting or baiting, also
>Tony Stark with panic attacks
what a piece of shit
>>
All of Iron Man's suits looked awful after the first movie
>>
>>68263618
>have a bland boss in the end
You're acting as if Ben Kingsley shooting lasers out of his magic rings would have been better.
Well okay it totally would've been better, but it still doesn't bother me, personally, since I never read those comics.
>>
>>68263285
>but really the Mandarin wasn't even the villain of the movie.
They advertised the movie with the mandarin as the villain, so yo have no idea what are you talking about anon.
they could named the mandarin Osamaladenbin and no one would give a fuck, but they tried to milk the mandaring vs iron man cow and is was a shitty move to do.
>>
>>68263618
>if you can't see aproblem here i'll take you are shitposting or baiting
It sounds like Marvel was baiting, you took the bait, and now you're bitter about it.
>>
>>68263681
Change the name, you can't promote a movie based on the villain and pull a Shiamalan out of nowhere.
>>68263744
yes, your point?
>>
>>68263721
>They advertised the movie with the mandarin as the villain, so yo have no idea what are you talking about anon.
Did you only watch the trailers and not the actual movie?

I never said Mandarin wasn't advertised as the villain. I'm saying he was not actually the villain in the movie, which is entirely true.
>>
>>68262574
Im not even mad that its "not muh comics mandarin" but building up a villain for two movies and then the first hour of the third only to toss him aside for a punchline in favor of ANOTHER generic guy in a suit is a mistake any way you look at it
>>
>>68263782
>yes, your point?
My point is that there's no problem with what Marvel did and you're just bitter because you're an autistic faggot.
>>
>>68263803
>in favor of ANOTHER generic guy in a suit
Killian wore a suit? I don't remember that happening, unless you count when Iron Man forced the Mk.42 armor onto him and set it to explode.
>>
>>68263824
>My point is that there's no problem with what Marvel did
>false advertisement is fine
i hope they fuck your next movie anon, unless you are a jaded retard that can't enjoy anything or hyped about nothing anymore.
>>
>>68263874
He means a business suit.
>>
>>68262539

Iron Man 1 and 3 were fucking GOAT.

IM2 was pretty much pure garbage though.
>>
>>68263874
I think he meant suit in the sense of a business suit.
>>
File: 1460274230643.jpg (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1460274230643.jpg
50 KB, 600x600
>>68262539
>I just watched all three Iron Man movies and I want to talk about them.

So why don't you do that in one of the other 50 marvel capeshit threads infesting the catalogue?
>>
>All this Mandarin bitching
Would a chinese terrorist who shoots lasers from his fingers really be better than a suave business man who's made out of fire?

>>68263905
It's not false advertisement though. It's subverting expectations.

Was it "false advertisement" when Finn ended up not being a jedi in The Force Awakens?
>>
>>68262574
/thread
>>
>>68262972

See, the people who liked iron man 3 and didn't mind how they handled mandarin, they are the normal capeshit viewers who never were into comic culture until the movies.

Mandarin is iron man's most interesting villain, and even his archenemy. I was excited to see his ten magical rings and was expecting a movie where magic and technology would be clashing directly.

The twist was shit and the archenemy was literally reduced to a joke.
>>
>>68264058
yup
>>
>>68264058
>Not knowing about the real Mandarin being out there

You must've not seen the One Shot they did, anon.
>>
>>68264130
Tell me when they make a movie with him in it then we'll talk
>>
>>68262628
This so much.
>>
>>68264130
If we ever get the a comic-accurate Mandarin in these movies, it will be under one of two circumstances:
1. Marvel eventually ends the MCU and reboots Iron Man with the Mandarin as the villain.

2. Marvel keeps the MCU going but RDJ refuses play Iron Man again, so they come up with some completely retarded in-universe reason for someone else to take up the mantle and they make Iron Man 4 with a new Iron Man that's not Tony Stark.
>>
>>68262539
>3 did the best at capturing the tone of the comics

You just answered your own question. Do you really think that these movies would appeal to a mass audience if they were just like the comics?
>>
>>68262539
Because he hangs out with a retarded kid for half the movie
>>
>>68264058

>muh comics

Fuck off nerd, kino is not your place anymore. Eat shit and stay in /co/ with the rest of your degenerate sjw kind
>>
I like them, but the problem I have with the IM movies is they just gradually add more and more robots/IM suit antagonists. By the end of 3, it's just a clusterfuck of Iron Men fighting each other. It just comes off as lazy when there are so many villains that could've been utilized.
>>
>>68264130

You mean the one shot released way later after all the controversy?

They shit the bed with a twist and then filmed a separate scene pretty much saying "lol, you guys who went and watched the movie we filmed thought we ruined mandarin. Jk. Watch this completely separate scene that wasn't in the movie you payed to see to clear up that we didn't show the REAL Mandarin. Double Twist!"

That one shot was only done make up for a terribly done twist. It adds nothing to the MCU since there hasn't been any Iron Man 4 announcement, and I doubt they have room anywhere in their current line up to add Mandarin before Infinity Wars.
>>
I will explain why in detail

The action scenes-capeshit's bread and butter-were mostly uninspired and underwhelming. Aside from when Tony was using his little gizmos and scrap from the busted suit, most of them just came across as lamer versions of action scenes from the other 2. Even 2 had more exciting confrontations with Whipdude and high-speed dogfights, whereas here most of the in-suit fights are just kind of Tony punching some people on a plane or shooting at a single helicopter.

While having a ton of suits in the climax was a nice idea, the lack of variety in their designs meant that they just sort of became background scenery while Tony and Rhodes ran around with 9mms. Maybe there was a second or two of the big jackhammer armor holding something up, I honestly don't remember.

The middle section is bogged down with an annoying kid and an investigation plot that goes nowhere. It literally just reveals that Obvious Evil Science Corp is being Obviously Evil.

Killian is basically a cardboard cutout, a lazy rehash of Stane.

Tony's PTSD and inner struggles are reduced to a running gag and his character doesn't really grow, aside from suddenly deciding to blow up billions of dollars worth of suits

Remote controlling the suits fucked with most of the later action scenes, knowing that Tony is never actually in danger destroys any and all drama.

They needlessly de-powered Iron Man in order to make Tony more vulnerable, a questionable decision when this is the first time he's up against enemies that can cut through his armor with no effort

Again the climax is just a drawn-out Lethal Weapon pastiche, with no tension or excitement as Tony and Rhodes run around with handguns lazily taking potshots at mooks while quipping the whole time
>>
Bait thread
>>
>>68264547

>Remote controlling the suits fucked with most of the later action scenes, knowing that Tony is never actually in danger destroys any and all drama.

Fucking this
>>
>>68263986
You people are so angsty.

Anyway OP, fuck Iron Man 3. I'm not even into marvel comics but the Mandarin would have been a cool villain, or at least something different. Killian was a lame bad guy.
>>
IM3 was straight garbage. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

GOAT trailer though
>>
I liked that the mandarin was just war on terror propaganda bullshit.

ben kingsley was good as both versions.
>>
>>68264264
>mantel
Read that as manlet
>>
IM3 was made by and for people that don't believe in the concept of superheroes. They don't believe in it They think it's silly shit for kids and nerds.

That's why they can go fuck themselves and eat shit straight out of my ass with a straw.

Honestly, truly. Fuck IM3.
>>
>>68265634
>That's why they can go fuck themselves and eat shit straight out of my ass with a straw.

Take it easy tough guy, don't want your assburgers to flare up again.
>>
>capturing the tone of the comics

Why is this always a defense for the shittiest cape movies?
>>
>>68265792

I didn't want to leave any room for doubt.

I put IM3 up there on the Mt Rushmore of total shit right next to Xmen 3.
>>
Judging by the lighthearted and kid friendly way they handled the serious subjects like PTSD and terrorism, I was seriously expecting the kid to get home in the end and see Iron Man blueprints Tony left him so that he could take up the mantle.

Iron man 3 is Thor levels of bad and made IM2 look much better.
>>
>>68266081

Thor 1 is underrated.
>>
>>68266263
I didn't like:
- all suits being automated
- All suits having a reactor - that reactor should have been a unique thing, because as an energy source, it's just too imbalanced in terms of technologies spread in the word, and Marvel should me more grounded. Leave that shit to DC.
- Pots having super powers
- Destroying all suits was just retarded
>>
>>68264547
This.
>>
File: 1427049832929.jpg (546 KB, 1202x840) Image search: [Google]
1427049832929.jpg
546 KB, 1202x840
>>68262539

Honestly I thought I was one of the few that hated Iron Man 3. I thought 2 was considered to be the mess of the series.
>>
>>68262819
>lets do a james bond movie were he is gay

Skyfall

>a kills women for fun

Probably happened as well, at least he didn't give a shit about some random bitch croking
>>
>>68262539
>IM II sucked, let's get the guy who did Lethal Weapon to bring back some humor
>it's still unfunny and pacing is a mess

Yeah, muh mandarin was the issue
>>
File: MAndarin fox kids.jpg (18 KB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
MAndarin fox kids.jpg
18 KB, 400x306
>/tv/ loves Spider-man 2
>Doc Ock acts nothing like his comic book counterpart
>Its okay though
>/tv/ hates Iron Man 3
>Mandarin acts nothing like his comic book counterpart
>BUT MUH CHINK VILLAIN, WHERE'S MAH LAZORS??!?!?!
Fuck off, permavirgins.
Mandarin was never good.
>>
>>68268000
it's not that it's "not muh comics mandarin" it's that they sacrifice a much more interesting villain for a one-off joke and replace him with another generic businessman
>>
>>68264522
Well let's see this vaunted Mandarin one-shot, then.
>>
File: brides of fu manchu.jpg (204 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
brides of fu manchu.jpg
204 KB, 1024x768
>>68268080
Yes, such an interesting and original villain.
>>
>>68262539
Because 3 totally failed to take itself seriously whatsoever. It totally hyped up the darkest enemy in the trilogy yet and got us all on the edge of our seats for what turned out to be an infantile gag. Between that and the fucking Hello Kitty watch gag in the face of death the movie was trash.
>>
>>68266792

Wait, I hope you realize that I'm agreeing with you that IM3 sucked giant hairy gorilla balls.

It Thor 1 that I think is severely underrated. The only reason I think a lot of people don't rate it higher is because the middle portion of the movie takes place in a small town.

The small town setting is simply because at the time Marvel wasn't totally sold on the MCU pre Avengers and didn't really understand exactly what kind of cash cow they had on their hands.
>>
>>68263803
>building up a villain for two movies
What? Are you sure you watched the right movies? The Ten Rings was mentioned and that was it. That's not build up.
>>
Iron Man 3 gets a shit ton of hate for whatever reason
/tv/ actually liked it when it came out except for the people mad about Mandarin
Now I hear people saying IM3 is the worst Marvel movie
>>
>>68264058

He could have busted out with the rings during a direct confrontation with Iron Man and overriden control of of Tony"s armor because the rings were really some kind of advanced alien technology.

I always pictured Mandarin just sitting there like a boss while making Tonys armor super hot then super cold whole the hole time he's going full Ben Kingsley mode with some super deep speech as he's just about to crush Tony in his suit.

...shit would have been badass. But nope we get this retarded shit instead.
>>
>>68268659
/co/ hates it don't they?
Probably a migration.
>>
>>68268659
Fuck off tripcunt
>>
>>68262539
>Gwynneth Paltrow
dropped
>>
My wife's kid likes them
>>
>>68268823

Rhodey was his favorite right?
>>
>>68268823
I've never heard that one before.
>>
>>68262539
>Why does everyone hate Iron Man 3 so much?
Well:
1. No AC/DC
2. Awesome villain turned into a joke
3. Shitty actual villain
>>
Friendly reminder that if you liked IM3 you are the cancer that is killing /tv/.
>>
>>68262972
Fuck off iron man was know to me from the debut Ghostface album
>>
>>68269122
Good.
>>
>>68269122
i liked it
because i know its a childrens movie and watched as it
>>
>>68262574
>>68262626
>>68262628
>>68262680
>>68262769
>>68262803
>>68262810
>>68262819
>>68262853
>>68262863
>>68262884
>>68262911

Why do people even care about this when the Ten Rings and the real Mandarin exist in the MCU.
>>
>>68269314

See>>68265634
>>
>>68268164
Are you telling me Ben Kingsley wasn't fucking GOAT when he was pretending to be evil?

Because fake -evil Ben Kingsley was much better than Guy Pearce
>>
>>68269461
Cause it's not like they'll bring the real one in to do shit. Besides there was build up to the actual Ten Rings organization, and 3 destroyed all of it
>>
>>68262539
It was an amazing movie. Felt like lethal weapon with RDJ instead of Mel
>>
>>68269461
I should go further to mention they explicitly showed a Ten Rings member in Ant-Man looking to buy the Yellowjacket technology.

In Ant-Man and the Wasp we could end up seeing the pair going toe-to-toe with the Mandarin/Ten Rings. He doesn't have to be strictly allocated to being an Iron Man villian.

it's all connected
>>
2 is the patricians Iron Man film.
>>
ok i just saw the Kimmel interview from last night and if Tony would really appear in Spiderman and Gwyneth doesn't want to come back as Pepper maybe Tony could bang aunt May?
>>
>>68269756
But the reason he works well as an iron man villain is he can actually go toe to toe with Tony without having to steal/copy his technology.
>>
>>68269461
>>68269713
>>68269756
>>68269831
Shit, I mean even during the Battle of New York it was shown in the tie-in comics that Rhodey/War Machine was in Hong Kong taking down Ten Rings cells.

They could make a fucking Iron Man 4: War Machine Roxx movie with the Mandarin retaliating for what had been done during those events.

Just enjoy the ride anon.
>>
Name one Marvel movie that doesn't get tedious after the second act?

Hard mode: excluding Spiderman 2
>>
>>68264058
This is a movie made by shane black for the mainstream public. And he did an amazing blockbuster, if you don't like it because muh comics it's okay, just don't pretend is a legit reason to call the movie bad.
>>
>>68270200

none of them

now name a DC movie that doesn't get tedious after the first frame
>>
>>68270265

You'll probably disagree but I thought Watchmen was entertaining and interesting all the way through
>>
>>68265634
What's wrong with having fun with superheroes. Thr concept itself is really stupid and a lot of people play with it. Even Watchmen did it, here we are a bunch of guys on costumes fighting crime, naked blue guy and ozy who made a weird "alien" octopus to save earth
>>
>>68262626
That's because they revealing the truth about our war on terror.
>>
>>68268093

I'm on my phone and too lazy to post the link. Just search the Marvel short 'All Hail the King' basically Ben Kingsley is in jail and the real mandarin (not shown) is pissed that he used his name. Should have actually been in the final cut if they wanted to redeem this shit movie in some small way.

Can't wait to see what whacky adventure Tony gets into next time. With his new Indiana Jones kid sidekick
>>
All that stuff with the fake Mandarin and the kid ruins the movie. Also Pepper saves the day, wtf.

Would have been nice if the kid turned out to be Peter Parker. That would have been a nice set up to Civil War.
>>
I like IM2. Tony battling himself through most of it.

For me It's IM3>IM2>IM1
>>
File: 960.jpg (15 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
15 KB, 960x540
>tfw you will never sneak into IM3 lovers house in the middle of the night and slowly suffocate them with their pillow.
>>
>>68266792
>- All suits having a reactor - that reactor should have been a unique thing, because as an energy source, it's just too imbalanced in terms of technologies spread in the word, and Marvel should me more grounded.

Tony made the first one in a cave with a box of scraps. You seriously think he can't reproduce them easily in a proper workshop?

What keeps the arc reactors from spreading is Tony refusing to share the secrets.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.