[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Kingkiller Chronicle' Finds Its Writer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 23
File: jBYFUGWSjN1bQ_JS.png (159 KB, 310x306) Image search: [Google]
jBYFUGWSjN1bQ_JS.png
159 KB, 310x306
>Lionsgate is adapting Patrick Rothfuss’ best-selling fantasy trilogy.

>Lindsey Beer, one of the writers who is working on Transformers 5, has been tapped to adapt the first book of Patrick Rothfuss’ best-selling fantasy trilogy The Kingkiller Chronicle for Lionsgate.

>Beer is emerging not only as a rising writer, but with a focus on geek-oriented material she also is a rare female voice in what is normally a male-dominated field. On top of working on Transformers, for example, she also wrote drafts of Legendary’s Pacific Rim 2.
>>
>Patrick Rothfuss’ best-selling fantasy trilogy.

Never heard of it
>>
>>68262250

>she

dropped.
>>
There's only one decent Kingkiller book.
The second one of the most disappointing sequels ever.
I'm not sure if the third book is out and I don't care to find out.
>>
rothfuss better release book 3 soon
>>
>>68262250
Those books are incredibly over-rated, Kvothe is a total marty stu. The arc when, as a virgin, he teaches a literal sex goddess about fucking was one of the cringiest things I've ever read.
>>
File: hmmm.png (443 KB, 706x721) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
443 KB, 706x721
What did she mean by this?
>>
i swear ive never heard of a modern day book that wasnt "best-selling"

ive never ever heard of this piece of shit

what exactly is the standard to be considered best selling
>>
>>68262384
Agreed, first was decent if a little slow paced. Second was a fucking drag full of neckbeard shit and barely advanced the plot.
>>
I don't know about the casting but we need Jack Gleeson for the role of Ambrose Jakis.

>>68262341
Redhead gypsy mage musician adventures told by said gypsy in his tavern years after events. Pretty good.

>>68262368
Nigger I'm not the least bit surprised. Have you seen Rothfuss twitter? He's practically a redditor.

>>68262410
Reminder that it's told by Kvothe himself, and he basically states that he uses hyperboles to make things more interesting.
>>
File: 1449020649902.png (113 KB, 599x362) Image search: [Google]
1449020649902.png
113 KB, 599x362
>>68262250
>she
DROPPED
>>
File: 1.png (627 KB, 701x741) Image search: [Google]
1.png
627 KB, 701x741
What could she possibly mean by this?
>>
>>68262434

Wowee, look at all these strawmen. Strawmen to a self-coined umbrella term used in ANY situation, that go outside the boundaries of said strawmen.

Jews really are the masters of empty demagoguery.
>>
File: 2.png (370 KB, 705x590) Image search: [Google]
2.png
370 KB, 705x590
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>68262482
>muh unreliable narrator 2deep4u
Every fucking time, doesn't make the book any better to read. They aren't awful or anything, but those sections in book 2 were just jarringly self-masturbatory.
>>
>>68262523
>a small loan of 200k dollars

This bitch probably shares le epic Trump memes too.
>>
File: 3.png (448 KB, 704x509) Image search: [Google]
3.png
448 KB, 704x509
Seriously, what the hell could she mean by this?
>>
>>68262450
it's sold like 10 million+ copies. It's the biggest thing in fantasy right now other than gurm, you just aren't following the memes
>>
>>68262482
Jack Gleeson is pretty good, I always imagined Ambrose as a bit more "chad like" in appearance than that though.
>>
File: hm.png (19 KB, 706x136) Image search: [Google]
hm.png
19 KB, 706x136
I'm wondering, what exactly did she mean by this?
>>
>>68262635
I'm reasonably sure the author is doing it on purpose trying to make Kvothe's character slightly unlikeable. I think it's a build-up for something in a later book, either that or he's just an inconsistent writer.
>>
>>68262587
>>68262627
>>68262665
top kek, a feminist writing an adaptation of a book series with no female characters who don't want to fuck the MC

this should be fun
>>
>>68262782

"engage in cronyism for the benefit of my agenda"
>>
File: 1452757857857578.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452757857857578.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>68262693
>Gleeson
>not chadlike

>>68262808
I don't know, Denna is a pretty empowered womyn character who even frequently cucks Kvothe. That's pretty feminist.
>>
File: hmm.png (20 KB, 704x136) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
20 KB, 704x136
What in God's name did she mean by this?
>>
>>68262794
Your probably right anon, I just really hate that entire arc with Felurien as I was enjoying the book up till that point. Hopefully Doors of Stone is better, he's got a lot to wrap up in it.
>>
File: ITS.png (23 KB, 706x230) Image search: [Google]
ITS.png
23 KB, 706x230
Something here reminds me of an old saying.
>>
>>68262808
Denna cucks him non stop man, did you read the books? You have a point with the other female characters though, felt like a fucking harem anime at some parts.
>>
>>68262410
That's not what he does though, he convinces her that unless he has sex with regular women he will not be able to really appreciate how good sex with her was because he has no frame of reference. Then he also promises to return someday.
>>
the second book seemed like a huge "i have to fill this shit up otherwise it won't be a trilogy" because the story took a huge turn and there was hardly any development to the actual plot

felurian was like rothfuss' tom bombadil
>>
>>68263306
Idk man I just expected the main plot with the Chandrian and stuff to get farther than it did. Its like 500 pages of "Kvothe finds some way to pay his tuition".
>>
>>68262250
good

the books are a frighteningly tone-deaf male power fantasy and they are in a dire need for a woman touch
>>
File: 1460613450547.jpg (184 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1460613450547.jpg
184 KB, 500x370
>>68262410
>he teaches a literal sex goddess about fucking
What, really? Can anyone share the text?
>>
>>68263306
that's funny since there is much stuff left to tell there is no way he is going to fit it all into the last book (if the fat fuck ever finishes it)

be prepared for more "unreliable narrator", "this wasn't important" excuses so he can fit in more PG13 "le sexy time"
>>
Mistborn when?
Gentleman Bastards when?

Seems like they are circling a lot of other fantasy series for when GOT ends and they need something new.
>>
>>68263479
the third book will either feel rushed as fuck or it'll be 2000 pages long in which case they might just break it down in 2 books
>>
File: TLoLL.jpg (126 KB, 250x384) Image search: [Google]
TLoLL.jpg
126 KB, 250x384
>>68262250
Wake me when they option the superior fantasy series.
>>
>>68263607
>series
The first book is great, but the other two are awful.
>>
>>68263544
Mistborn is actually real fantasy, Kingkiller is just the next "EPIC SEX SCENES AND MATURE THEMES LMAO" fantasy series for your average housewife, they're going to butcher the books and the books aren't even that good.
>>
>>68263663
The pirate was kinda meh, but I liked the latest one.
>>
>No The Mapmaker's War movie

That book is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>68263989

you're a retard, not like actual gypsies
>>
>>68262434
>retweetet
>Marz
>Tsd.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>68263607

Gentleman Bastards would be great but it would have a very similar problem ASOIAF had, the source material isn't even finished and the writer writes at a snails pace. They would catch up to the current book very quickly.
>>
>>68263989

not an actual gypsy ivan calm down
>>
>>68264088
Personally I don't want something I like being ruined like it was with GoT. I don't want to wake up one day to find 15 year old Tumblr girls making Locke x Jean memes.
>>
>>68262410
This. The books are basically Le Reddit: The Movie.

People talk big about how original it is. Original? Rotface didn't invent Naming, and liberally ripped off Harry Potter. The main bad guy is some edgelord in all black and the secondary one is Draco Malfoy.

He's a hyper intelligent awkward nerd who somehow always gets out of every situation smelling like roses. Did I mention he has Batman's origin story, then goes on to fuck a sex goddess and get trained like a ninja?

But then this is why he sold out and they're making a movie out of it. It's pandering and unchallenging material, so it'll adapt well to the under 15 crowd and/or manchildren.
>>
>>68262410
>Being too retarded to understand the concept of an unreliable narrator
>>
>>68264259

The worst part about it was when nobody cared about ASOIAF until the HBO show except for a few small minority of people who read fantasy. It's a shame really especially how great the first season was, it's just became worse and worse as it went on.
>>
First Law Trilogy adaptation when? I want to see inquisitor Glokta pull teeth out of a merchant's head.
>>
>>68264451
This point always gets trotted out like a prize whore when these books are mentioned. The problem is no one in the book really ever challenges his viewpoints and the idea he's unreliable is never entertained. The closest is a small statement about how Denna had a crooked nose but that's the only thing he is ever challenged on.

>muh author's intent.

Doesn't matter if the book doesn't even support that interpretation. The "unreliable narrator" interpretation has as much weight as "don't worry the third book will tie it all together and explain everything." It's a fantasy people are hoping is true, but as it stands, nothing indicates it.
>>
>>68264259
>A crucial aspect of Locke's character is there is only one girl in the entire world that's right for him
At yet they still probably would do that shit. How horrifying.

The funny thing is the Gentleman Bastards world is very gender-equal. Not the females in high positions, but the fact any random guard or soldier can be female. And no big deal is made of this. Basically: doing it right.
>>
>>68264528
First Law is great, would kill for a mini series or something
>>
>>68264521
Seriously. I bought the first book a few months after it came out and recommended it to everyone I knew. Fast forward ten years and the fat girl who sends Minions memes to the whole office is the "biggest Game of Thrones fan! Robb is sooooo hawt! I can't wait for him to kill the Lannisters!"
>>
>>68262250

What, not Max Landis?

I hope they genderbend Kvothe into a cute redhead.
>>
>>68264590
Malazan does the same thing and it just works. Doesn't feel forced at all.
>>
>>68264375
It really is the most self indulgent thing I've ever read, makes me think Rothfuss was one of those "I'm a nice guy" neckbeard types growing up. Kvothe is literally a do nut steal deviant art tier character created solely to pander to the fantasies of manchildren with no experience with women.
>>
I can't wait for this to flop
>>
>>68264567
Who the fuck is going to challenge him? He's telling the story to one person. Why would he challenge him when the person is just interested in the story?
>>
>>68264655

It's sickening how the awful Harry Potter retards have managed to worm their way into the ASOIAF fanbase. I started reading the books around the time A Feast For Crows came out in paperback, I am pretty envious of people who can just pick up and read ADWD now since the whole six year wait for that was unbearable.
>>
>>68265166
You know it won't. They're going to cast some British ginger and every 15 year old Tumblrina is going to jack off over it for years.
>>
>>68265159
>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women.

>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.

He's basically Reddit given flesh
>>
>>68265255
And this is my entire point when I say there is nothing supporting the unreliable narrator angle besides weak claims to his pride or flourishes inherent in his manner of storytelling.

Both Chronicler or Bast could have known bits-and-pieces, whether through rumor or in Bast's case hearing the tale told in private without the intent to impress. There are many ways he could have done it, but chose not to, and there's no point in which obvious exaggeration or conflict arises. Any number of things could have happened, but none of them did, because the book doesn't want to entertain the idea Kvothe is lying out his ass or greatly exaggerating.
>>
>>68265316
Jesus fucking christ, is this real? This explains so much
>>
>>68265316
I'm imagining all of that finely stitched into the brim of a fedora in gold thread.
>>
>>68263989
You should read Shannara. The gypsies there were thieving, evil bastards.
>>
File: reddit.jpg (39 KB, 306x408) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
39 KB, 306x408
>>68265409
This is what he looks like, so yeah.
>>
>>68265409
That's all direct quotes from his goodreads bio
>>
>>68265474
Oh god with the shirt and everything
>>
>>68265474
>Joss Whedon shirt
No wonder Kvothe is such a cuck
>>
>>68265474
>JOSS WHEDON
>IS MY MASTER NOW
oh boy...
>>
>>68265350
The very nature of the books and the narrator is what gives rise to an unreliable narrator.

The book doesn't want to entertain the idea of idea of Kovthe lying or exaggerating BECAUSE it is being told entirely by Kovthe. If a book has to have its narrator interrupted and called out for you to understand the concept of an unreliable narrator then the problem lies with you.
>>
>>68264375
Naming is taken 1:1 from Earthsea.

That sympathy/sygaldry stuff is pretty original though, as far as I know.
>>
>>68262250

FUUUUCK.

THIS IS WHY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE NICE THINGS.

WOMEN RUIN EVERYTHING.
>>
>>68262250
Read this series. Why the fuck do people like it? Women? Also
>series
there are only two books
>>
Seriously these books were so bad it actually made me feel like I could write my own.
>>
>>68265542
But the entire book isn't being told by Kvothe. The moments in-between his storytelling are third person limited. It's no longer Kvothe/Kote. There's also the Slow Regard novella which all but confirms Kvothe's view on Auri is correct and without exaggeration.

Let's assume you're right, that he's an unreliable narrator. If the third book continues the trend of the first two, at no point will we ever get the truth, and we'd have to begin guessing and wondering what parts are exaggerated and never know what happened. Which makes the entire unreliable aspect a moot point. If Kote/Kvothe never gets called out, if the truth never comes up, if nothing that contradicts what he said happens, then there was no fucking point in hinting at his unreliability.
>>
>>68265316
It all makes sense now.
The second book is the perfect numale fantasy.
>>
>>68265658
Do it. Rothfuss has made millions and if he continues to churn out stuff in this universe he will be set for life
>>
>>68265316
>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women.
I refuse to believe this
>>
>>68265659
But the third person sections aren't the brunt of the story. Who would you like to call out Kvothe? Bast? Why would Bast call out Kvothe when it's become clear that Bast has his own agenda. The chronicler? Possibly before if everything surrounding Kvothe wasn't just rumors and if he wasn't more interested in getting a complete story than an accurate one.

We get a gist of what has happened. It is clear that he is not actually entirely making things up because the rumors surrounding him support his stories. The unreliable aspects come in regarding himself and his abilities, not the actual incidences.
>>
>>68262410

I mean on the one hand he's a super intelligent genius musician wizard with a pure moral compass. On the other hand he does lose occasionally. Off the top of my head:

>Fucks up relationship with girl
>Loses mind duel to loan shark girl which he started on a mistake
>Gets shit beaten for begging in nice town
>Gets shit slapped around by small child while warrior training
>Get tricked and expelled from library for a year
>Is currently a failed tavern owner

I don't know. He should be a Mary Sue but everything he's good at (besides super intelligence) is explained and worked for, plus he fucks up along the way.
>>
Why is he trying to make gypsies out to be some kind of good people?

>>68266163
It was pretty clear early in the book he absorbs everything immediately and thus excels, can't say I like it desu.
>>
>>68266020
>It is clear that he is not actually entirely making things up because the rumors surrounding him support his stories. The unreliable aspects come in regarding himself and his abilities, not the actual incidences.

Exactly my point. The unreliable narrator serves only to cover the book's ass over accusations that Kvothe is a do-everything Mary Sue author insert. There will be no payoff. There won't be any big revelations. Hell, it's not even clear he's unreliable, because as I said there is no counterpoint or clear tale of truth to raise doubt. The unreliable narrator aspect comes entirely from reader's hunches based on vague concepts, and primarily from how the story is told.

Two books in, and there's nothing to suggest what he said hasn't happened as he has told it. At best, maybe he's exaggerating his abilities. But how does that change anything? It's purely a shield for the author. I would be stunned if the third book actually puts weight behind the theory and greatly downplays Kvothe, but I somehow doubt that, given the second book took a huge pointless detour to emphasize Kvothe has once-in-a-lifetime-for-males ninja powers and fucked a sex goddess.
>>
>>68266355
He's an american numale neckbeard, he never got close to an actual gypsy in his life.
>>
>>68265580
I really don't know, there are way better fantasy series out there and KingKiller is mediocre at best.
>>
>>68266355

What about naming? The entire journey in the second book is because he can't get his head around it so he has to go out into the world and earn it. Meanwhile some of his classmates learn it no problem and are already making their rings.
>>
>>68266814
Idk didn't he use naming on Felurian? I remember he activated his anime powers and imprisoned her in wind or something?
>>
>>68266814
I think even an author like Rothfuss knows when to dial it back. Naming was always considered rare and hard to master, so Kvothe at least has to put in some effort. He then ends up promptly pwning Felurian through use of it and displays uncanny skill.
>>
>>68267020

Yeah i think he actually names her exactly which is some age old impossible wizard shit. So fair point.
>>
>tfw /tv/ discusses books better than movies
>>
Adaptation power rankings?

1. Malazan Animated Series
2. Lies of Locke Lamora stand-alone movie(fuck 2 and 3)
3. Night Angel Series
4. Tales of Ketty Jay movies
>>
I didn't mind The Name of the Wind, but some of the parts were really overbearing.

The best part of the book is at Kvothe's shenanigans at the University. But I'd rather read ASOIAF any day of the week over this.
>>
>>68262250
I hope they hire a better writer than Rothfuss and that writer just goes to town and leaves only the name and the basic parts of the setting intact. Though even then it would probably be shite.
>>
>>68268201
0. First Law Trilogy 3 season series
>>
>>68268201
>No Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn TV show
Its shit
>>
>Lindsey Beer, one of the writers who is working on Transformers 5
So it's going to be a made-by-committee shitfest?

I'll hope Warcraft does okay and we get a good Elric movie instead.
>>
>>68268293
Name of The Wind was actually enjoyable aside from the cliches, but Wise Man's Fear was really not up to par.
>>
>>68262434
Well, duh, not all jews are zionists
>>
>>68264567
>Kvothe says he's seen the C'tah or whatever the tree is called
>Bast calls Kvothe out on it
>Bast heavily implies that Kvothe is spinning shit for the scribe
>>
>>68268524
I haven't read Wise Man's Fear, based on both how disappointing it is and how despite me enjoying the first book, I didn't care much for it to see what happens next. I want to read other books.
>>
>>68264375
Magic as thermodynamics is kinda cool though
>>
File: 1399295380031.png (370 KB, 675x945) Image search: [Google]
1399295380031.png
370 KB, 675x945
>>68268201
1. Code Geass gritty live action reboot with Charles Dance as Emperor Charles, Eva Green as Marianne and that that Bran homo as Lelouch
>>
>>68268607
That's not what happened at all, Bast gets mad because Kvothe does not realize or take seriously what his interaction with the C'tah could mean. Talking to the C'tah impacted every other decision Kvothe made, and put a target on his back for other Fae. Kvothe was being too casual about it and pissed him off.
>>
>>68268694
I'd say thats a good decision anon, there are too many books to read and not enough time to waste on bad/mediocre series. Wise Man's Fear also barely advances the plot, and the third book is probably years away anyway.
>>
>>68262450
It's basically a meme book shoolboys troll each other about. The author is an autistic neckbeard old enough to be their grandpa.
>>
>>68268705
Yeah I enjoyed sympathy, he managed to make the very few sympathy fights interesting. Shame he can't seem to write physical fights well, and resorted to the meme kung fu move names like Wheel of Time does. "She hit me with raging waterfall, I countered with gracefull fox" just didn't do it for me.
>>
Bast a best.
>>
>>68262482
>Redhead gypsy
Wut?
Dat fantasy anthropology sure is dank!
>>
File: 1445006215625.jpg (75 KB, 1280x650) Image search: [Google]
1445006215625.jpg
75 KB, 1280x650
>>68262410

>marty stu
>gets physically beaten up by 12 year old amazonian ninja feminists for half the book

If people are going to complain about anything it's that we're going to be treated to cuck drama and anti-slut shaming propaganda for 3 movies.
>>
>>68266355
Cause he's not from Europe where there are actual hustling, knife-carrying gypsies
>>
>>68268478
His Otherland series would be infinitely better for film
>>
Elric of Melnibone filmatization when?
>>
fuck denna literally and figuratively
>>
>>68269002
Would it? I just finished Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn and liked it a lot so it was fresh on my mind. Williams other stuff is just as good then?
>>
>>68269075
Such an annoying, boring character. Get over your oneitis Kvothe there was plenty of pussy at the university to be had.
>>
>>68265554

it's just a different name for runes taken from other books
>>
>>68262250
overrated series. They should adapt the Stormlight Archives instead
>>
>>68262250
One of the most overrated books I've ever read, I really want to punch the author.
>>
>>68269247
I would love that, but the budget would be insane and Sanderson isn't that mainstream yet. Then again I didn't think Kingkiller was THAT popular either so what do I know.
>>
File: die cis scum3.jpg (39 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
die cis scum3.jpg
39 KB, 500x375
>>68265316
>lover of women
DIE CIS HETERO SCUM
I'm triggered!
>>
>>68268741
>“There’s a lot of things I’ve never told you, Bast,” Kvothe said flippantly. “That’s why you find the sordid details of my life so enthralling.”
>Bast gave a sickly smile, shoulders sagging with relief. “You didn’t really, then. Talk with it, I mean? It’s something you just added to make things a little more colorful?”
>“Please, Bast,” Kvothe said, obviously offended. “My story has quite enough color without my adding to it.”
>“Don’t lie to me!” Bast shouted suddenly, coming halfway out of his seat with the force of it.
>“Don’t you lie to me about this! Don’t you dare!”

Idk but to me it seems like it's heavily implied that Kvothe is potentially an unreliable narrator. Either Bast is right about the Sithe, or Kvothe is lying.
>>
>>68269075
All the female characters in the book were shallow, boring, and one dimensional. Marty-Stu only falls in love with them because they're hot or have amazing voice. They literally have no good or interesting qualities other than those.

And they all want Self-Insert's dick, of course.
>>
>>68269079
>>68269079
As a series of novels I think they are pretty equal one is fantasy the other sci-fi I just think the Otherland series has more going for it in terms of film adaptability

Actually his most recent Bobby Dollar series will be the most likely thing to get adapted if anything of his ever makes the big screen
>>
File: 114347230_2GG.jpg (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
114347230_2GG.jpg
68 KB, 500x500
If they're looking for edgy shit that would get the GOT audience I can think of better books.
>>
>>68269555
Thanks anon, I don't see his work get discussed much but I'm definitely going to check out his other stuff.
>>
>>68269640
That would be amazing but I do not envy the casting director trying to find a suitable Jorg
>>
Wild Cards tv adaptation when?
>>
>>68269640

The series would have been good but the first one is so fucking extremely edgy I can't see anyone reading it without bleeding out from all the cuts
>>
>>68269399
Devi was an interesting character. But of course, she also wanted Kvothe's dick.
>>
>>68262410
holy shit, are you legit retarted? thats not what happened at all.
>>
File: 53b.png (470 KB, 651x481) Image search: [Google]
53b.png
470 KB, 651x481
But isn't every Fantasy le edgy reddit/neckbeard thing? Isn't /tv/ basically a neckbeard thing. I don't see a lot of worldleaders/buisness leaders watching the telly. When interviewed it always some stuff like reading, outdoor work, sport.

So I don't really understand the criticism. It seems a bit contrarian.
>>
>>68262250
>kingkiller
sounds dope, anyone read it who can say how the literacy holds up? might put it on my list
>>
>>68271543
It's decent but the main character is a little insufferable. It's nicely written though.
>>
>>68271543
It's terrible. It's written like fanfiction and the main character is a self-insert of the neckbeard who wrote it, who's amazing at everything and the Coolest Guy Ever. I cringed so much while reading it and quit after half a book when it became insufferable.
>>
>>68271740
so it's just one of those dime a dozen fantasy novells
>>
>>68271770
Yep. I have no idea why it's so popular.
>>
File: Frog Deity.jpg (630 KB, 1206x575) Image search: [Google]
Frog Deity.jpg
630 KB, 1206x575
>>68262250
>>68265316
>>68265474
Jesus Christ, I should start writing epic fantasy. Surely I could do better than these cucks.
>>
>>68271099
> I don't see a lot of worldleaders/buisness leaders watching the telly
Didnt Obama just demand the Season Six of GoT earlier because hes such a avid fan
>>
>>68269350

I think the implication is that just saying that he spoke to it is so outlandish that it practically offends Bast. It's like telling someone you got a hand job from the prophet Muhammed while your Muslim friend was sitting in on the conversation.
>>
>>68269640

I honestly dropped it after the first book because of the whole post apocalyptic thing. That shit just did not jam with me at all.
>>
File: 1433191758002.jpg (48 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
1433191758002.jpg
48 KB, 720x439
>>68268201
>1. Malazan Animated Series

Excuse me while I masturbate
>>
File: Patrick-rothfuss.jpg (227 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
Patrick-rothfuss.jpg
227 KB, 800x1066
>>68265474
Here he looks better. "Best Dungeon Master you have played with" type.
>>
I love Rothfuss. I'm very thankful to him for writing his books. Reading them made me burn\delete all my shitty mary sue fanfics and amateurish self-insert stuff. Perhaps it will let me become a better writer, or even if I won't ever become a writer, do something meaningful instead of humiliating myself publicly and becoming a laughing stock for schoolchildren. Everyone who's thinking about writing fantasy should read Rothfuss to know what NOT to do.
>>
File: 1456748035539.gif (377 KB, 439x439) Image search: [Google]
1456748035539.gif
377 KB, 439x439
>>68265005
My man, Malazan is best fantasy.
>>
>>68262384
this
i love the first, one of my favourite comfy reads but the second book was just pish
>>
>best selling fantasy
so tripe in modern times
>writer of transformers 5
wow so much under their belt they gotta mention that
>she

hah

okay, feel good about that, but at the end of the day, its about money and how fucking good it can appeal to awards and moviegoers
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.