[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The characters in The Force Awakens don't argue enough.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1248730357941.jpg (2 MB, 2968x1988) Image search: [Google]
1248730357941.jpg
2 MB, 2968x1988
The characters in The Force Awakens don't argue enough.

The best parts of Star Wars are Han being all "what's in it for me?" and "no reward is worth this" and Leia being all "this is some rescue" and "get this walking carpet out of my way" and Luke being all "I tried that already it's magnetically sealed!" or "we could buy our own ship for that".

The Original Trio got on each other's fucking nerves and bonded because they went through some shit, but the Sequel Trio just get excited to be around each other all the time, right? Or am I imagining things?
>>
>>67506621
No, you didn't imagine it. It's one of the major failings of TFA.

Finn, Rey and Han (and to a lesser extent Poe) are way too trusting of one another and become insta-friends to a ridiculous degree. It's especially odd because Abrams is even aware of how important it is for characters to bond through adversity before becoming friends (see the 2009 Star Trek movie with Kirk and Spock), so he has no excuse this time.

I think it's because the plot was too big, large enough that they didn't have enough time for real character moments. When you think about it, ANH's plot was sparse, with a greater emphasis on inter-character relationships. Episode VII aped the structure of ANH but didn't bother to ape its pacing and attention to detail, so it feels like it's missing that essential character core of lovable fuck-ups who overcome the odds. Everyone in TFA is just an absolute master in everything they try, and it makes it harder to connect to them.
>>
>>67506621
>The characters in The Force Awakens don't argue enough.
You're right. They all get along nicely bar "don't touch my hand" lines.
Why did Poe give a secret info to a stormtrooper?
Why didn't Rey sell the droid?
>>
>>67506621
Dude why would they be arguing? It's 2016, don't be a bigot.
>>
>>67506757

Yeah, it's weird to me that Abrams remade Star Wars twice and did it so much better the first time around. The tiny moments where these heroes almost have conflict with one another are pretty strong - the hand-holding, the Poe wanting to go to Jakku while Finn doesn't stuff - I guess it doesn't help that POe and Rey never even cross paths.
>>
>>67506877
>Why didn't Rey sell the droid?

I like the movie, but this bugged me massively, because another of my favourite things about Star Wars is that people mostly treat the droids like shit.
>>
>>67506877
She's a woman and BB is cute. Women like cute.
>>
>>67506877
This also, why didn't Poe look for the droid? He just somehow got off of Jakku no big deal. How did he even get off with the limited resources and First Order Presence?
>>
i don't like star wars
>>
>>67507139
>>67506922

Would've fixed like this:
Move opens with three prisoners brought to a Star Destroyer, one is Poe
Kylo Ren kills the two that don't know where Luke's lightsaber is but keeps Poe alive because he can lead them to it
Finn helps Poe escape
They get split up when they crash on Jakku, but the audience doesn't need to believe Poe is dead so Poe gets to be properly in the movie
Unkar Plutt doesn't run the junkyard, Han and Chewie do
Finn crosses paths with Rey as normal, both are rescued from First Order attack by Poe in the Falcon which he steals from Han and Chewie

>>67507069

Rey a cute
>>
>>67507188
it gets everywhere
>>
>>67507139
>How did he even get off with the limited resources and First Order Presence
Poe originally died in the TIE crash. They liked the actor and character and decided to keep him around. They never wrote or figured out how he left Jakku because he wasn't supposed to.
>>
>>67507139
>How did he even get off with the limited resources and First Order Presence?

He's a hell of a pilot dude, were you even watching?
>>
>>67507219
What about:
Poe and Finn safely land on Jakku at the junk yard after a cool space battle, there they see Rey about to sell BB8 because she wants portions and cannot speak beep boop to know the droid is important. They then make chase and Reynuses her knowledge of the area to get the upperhand. Then the first order shows up and there is a big scramble in which Rey eventually decides to go with the boys for safety. They get in the falcon and She effectively acts as if they kidnapped her while Poe tries to calmly explain the situation, Finn tries to add emotional appeal but it fails and the characters all argue, which is when the falcon locks into autopilot taking them to go to Maz's place where Han Solo is waiting
>>
>>67507590
nice desu
>>
>>67507590
Also Maz is replaced by Lando.
>>
>>67507590

Why can't Poe fly the Falcon?
>>
File: 1338905549041-1.jpg (25 KB, 338x247) Image search: [Google]
1338905549041-1.jpg
25 KB, 338x247
>>67507741
>mfw Lando could have been the administrator of that facility but they chose NotYoda
>>
>>67507778
maybe Rey is threatening to destroy the ship (like the poison gas in the movie) or has them at gunpoint, so no time to pilot
>>
>>67507741
I really hope the initial credits to 8 is wrong and Maz doesn't fucking return. What a lazy excuse for a character to be plot exposition.

Also turning Anakin's Lightsaber into a fucking Excalbur of importance, I don't get that at all.
>>
>>67507928

That's fucking stupid, and how is autopilot going to help them escape the TIE fighters?
>>
>>67507931
>Also turning Anakin's Lightsaber into a fucking Excalbur of importance, I don't get that at all.

Its the lightsaber with the highest children killed count.
>>
>>67507778
I assumed he would in that scenario
>>67508030
It would kick after they left the planet.
>>
>>67507931
>Also turning Anakin's Lightsaber into a fucking Excalbur of importance, I don't get that at all.

Kasdan is more like Kasbeen. The only time that guy wrote anything of value was while standing on the shoulders of Spielberg and Lucas. Now, he gets free hands to do his version. No Mean Old Man Lucas to tell him how the characters act or hamper his "vision". Bring his 30 year old ideas and shoehorn all those edgy crap he wanted back in ROTJ (like Luke fucking off into the middle of nowhere like a bitch) and the best he does is a rehash of a movie he didn't even write.
>>
File: bicker.jpg (37 KB, 450x323) Image search: [Google]
bicker.jpg
37 KB, 450x323
>>67506621
You know who argued a lot? These two. Does that mean they are going to bang?
>>
>>67506621
Finn and Poe felt perfect, even though it was pretty forced and they didn't argue.

However, I definitely feel there should be better relationships between Finn and Rey, opinions on inter-race breeding aside. They shouldn't trust each other at all, but they should be forced to work with each other. Their relationship went from Rey hating each Finn to them liking each other too quickly.

So, this is the main reason I did not like the movie. Pacing was too fast and character relationships just weren't developed enough. Nostalgia does not beat characters.
>>
>>67507778
Rey knocked out either Poe or Finn in the struggle with her staff.
>>
>>67509285
Kylo is right. Clones are superior.
>>
>>67506621
I liked how they all became best buddies after knowing each other for literally 15 minutes in TFA.

Also the characters are complete shit and it's obviously very rushed and mostly done for SJW points. Mary Sue trash, black guy who is extremely miscast and some other guy who doesn't even interact with Rey so why is he considered part of the gang.
>>
>>67506621
It has been proven multicultural groups get along way better because of different values and backgrounds opening up understanding. 3 white leads will inevitably lead to conflicts because in the real world that's not an efficient way to have any group.

One white girl, one black guy and one hispanic-jewish guy though.
>>
>>67506621
Can I add to this how the villains feels non threatening as fuck?
Kylo Ren is just a whiny kid and Hux feels like some teenager playing officer. Compare and contrast to Vader and Tarkin who both feels intimidating and shows power.
The only one with potential is Snoke, but he is such a non-factor in this movie that its hard to tell.
>>
>>67510021
rey shouldn't have defeated kylo desu.
>>
>>67510021
>the point
>your head
>>
>>67509909
>Kylo has a secret clone army
>He kills Snoke in the second movie
this is what I want to happen
>>
>>67510021
I actually like Kylo, he isn't even the main-villain which is that giant baby-alien thing who was threatening as fuck. Having a villain who can grow aswell adds another dimension to the movie and it's quite obvious Kylo is supposed to be an angry, spoiled brat. I also really loves his fighting style which is way more sith like than Anakin in the prequels. They're supposed to use hate and anger and just swing it around like a butcher, like Luke did in episode 6 when he got angry.

Too bad everything else in the movie is absolute shit.
>>
File: sheev plane bane.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sheev plane bane.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>67506757
>Everyone in TFA is just an absolute master in everything they try, and it makes it harder to connect to them.

I think Finn is the exception, and that's probably why he was my favorite of the characters. He's a fuck up, he's scared, desperate, kind of a coward, and doesn't know shit.

Poe is stupidly out of the movie for 2/3's until the gratuitous, tension-less retread of the Death Star run, but he's at least enjoyable on screen because Oscar Isaac is a great actor with natural charisma. A movie of him trying to escape with bumbling Finn at his side, being encouraged and getting frustrated all at once, would've been aces.

Both of them make Rey's woodenness and lack of real faults all the more jarring and apparent, especially since she's apparently supposed to be the main character.
>>
>>67510173
IMO a villain can still be threatening and fuck up along the way. Look at Finn, he was basically a fuck-up the entire movie, besides the opening scene, and he still was able to be heroic and face off against Kylo.

If anything, the fight should have been a draw, with Kylo losing emotionally at first, and Rey with the upper hand, then Kylo showing her the power of the dark side, and then Rey pushing back until they get split via the Starkiller base cracking open.
>>
I liked how Poe and Finn automatically clicked. Finn got bitchy with him on the way to Jakku but they had good chemistry so it was cool. Too bad they had so few scenes together though because their escape was one of the best parts of the movie.
>>
My biggest concern is why weren't more people pissed when they found out Finn had been lying to save his ass for the entire movie.
>>
>>67510866
that was a cute little lie and Rey didn't mind it because the plot demanded so
>>
>>67510642
>their escape was one of the best parts of the movie

Easily. Also one of the freshest plot-points, at least coming at that part in the story and involving a hijacking.
>>
>>67510507
>complains about rey being onedimensional and good at everything
>is a poefag

moron
>>
>>67510866

Probably because it was to save his ass and not to infiltrate the Resistance and destroy it from within.
>>
>>67510952
The difference is Poe had a good actor and was barely in the flick at all. Rey was the main character and supposed to carry the story, which she couldn't.
>>
>>67510952
Poe gets off the hook because he wasn't around long enough to do anything more than be a good pilot and have a few good lines and despite that he managed to be memorable and likable. You can't compare that sort of supporting character with the protagonist.
>>
I'm more worried about the fact that Finn and Poe both experienced traumatic events in the form of either mental conditioning or mind rape, yet they shake that shit off like its no biggie. At least Rey a little freak out when she first found the lightsaber and had flashbacks to being left behind.
>>
>>67511245
According to the leaker thread, someone mind-rapes Finn to go back to his conditioning.
>>
>>67511516
The real question is how the fuck did he break it to begin with
>>
>>67511596
His friend died. Plus, he said it was his first battle. Other anons notice that other storm troopers didn't check on their comrades when they died in the opening battle.
>>
>>67510578

What would be even better is if the actual Starkiller from TFU would crack both of them open.
>>
>>67511675
It still makes no sense for him to have that quirky personality when we are told he spent his childhood like Alex in Clockwork Orange being bombarded with Hitler videos. If there was ever a character that should've been a brooding shaking mess, Finn was that guy.
Now, if they told me that he was recruited 6 months before TFA, I'd buy that.
>>
>>67511898
I don't think he should've showed remorse, but he should have questioned the morals of both the First Order and the resistance.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.