[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RIP in peace Roj Blake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10
File: roj.jpg (30 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
roj.jpg
30 KB, 620x372
The Federation finally caught up with him:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36041534

Sticky this pls mods
>>
Literally who?
>>
>>68254209
> I want everyone to know that I never watched something that was good

OK, son.
>>
File: Blakes+7+intro+1.gif (1 MB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
Blakes+7+intro+1.gif
1 MB, 352x240
>>
File: Blakes+7+intro+2.gif (731 KB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
Blakes+7+intro+2.gif
731 KB, 352x240
>>
File: dr who turbocock.gif (478 KB, 270x203) Image search: [Google]
dr who turbocock.gif
478 KB, 270x203
>>
>>68254179
Holy shit 2016 has been fucking awful so far
Stop killing cool people, death
>>
File: Kerr_Avon.jpg (70 KB, 549x821) Image search: [Google]
Kerr_Avon.jpg
70 KB, 549x821
first of a wave of Welsh actors in BBC sf shows.

i expect Kerr Avon is smiling thinly.

sort of like this.
>>
you know, that show could stand a reboot, with twentysomething actors and modern special effects.

i really hope they keep the scene where Avon forces a door, leaps into an empty room, covers it with his weapon, and then - to defuse the anticlimax - kicks a chair over.
>>
File: greathorned.jpg (42 KB, 494x400) Image search: [Google]
greathorned.jpg
42 KB, 494x400
Literally hoo?
>>
>>68255823
no, Hoo is a different BBC Sf series. look, you're likely an amerifat or a small child, so go play with the tards over in /pol/ or something.
>>
Sticky when?
>>
>>68255920
But the tards are all here, Anon. The tards are all here.
>>
File: ronnie-corbett-66021522[1].jpg (44 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
ronnie-corbett-66021522[1].jpg
44 KB, 1200x630
WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME
>>
I've been circling around this for a couple of years now, cause i love 70 sci-fi. Seen the Logan's Run tvt adaptation, Sapphire and Steel, etc etc.

Obviously you're a fan, so tell me, how's the tone? I yearn for a 70's sci-fi show that tones down the family oriented zany shit. I know it's a tall order but still
>>
File: 11835585926_b34e6bc51d.jpg (83 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
11835585926_b34e6bc51d.jpg
83 KB, 500x375
>>68255787
Paul Darrow (Avon) owns the rights IIRC. He's supposedly been shopping the idea of a reboot around for a while.

It surprised the hell out of me as a kid. I was used to Stormtroopers always missing shit and Star Trek's redshirts falling down dead at the mere sound of a fly, but the Terran Federation's troops not only had the audacity to shoot at and hit the heroes - but even kill them.
>>
>>68256018
>how's the tone
Dark, nasty. It was very edgy (for want of a better word) in its day. The ending really shocked people.
>>
>>68256018
the basic premise of Blake's 7 was that the crew should all hate each other. in one episode ORAC decided to sacrifice the crew because it wanted a closer look at a black hole. in another episode Avon was about to throw Vila out of an airlock to lighten the shuttle they were in, and it left an impression on Vila, because he didn't trust Avon much before that, but after, he really kept his distance.

Avon hated Blake for being an idealist. Blake hated Avon for being a sociopathic opportunist. Servalan hated them both because they dared rebel against the Federation.

it's a shame it was made when it was, because the BBC would never let it be the show it could have been. also, they had sub-par special effects. worse than Dr Who. a lot of the external shots of their ship were cartoon-grade illustrations slid in front of the camera.

if it was made today, it'd be pretty good.
>>
>>68256151

Well, i'm off to download it then. Thanks
>>
>>68256186
just watch the first six episodes or so. some people today find it.. a little..er.. 'twee'.

the comedy team Not The Nine O'Clock news once brought out a calendar with humorous terms on the backs of the pages; a page of Script from "Blake's 7" was called "clackavoid".

even so, they tried to be edgy for the period it was made in. when they arrested Blake for treason and rebellion, they brought him to trial and instead accused him of being a paedophile. imagine the look on his face when his lawyer told him.
>>
>>68256018

Star Trek had been cancelled for a few years, and they dealt with exciting and challenging concepts like tribbles and feral children.

Blake's 7 was dicking about with silly, giddy notions of drug addiction regulated by the government, which routinely lied to the citizens it wasn't entrapping and then executing. that is, when the government wasn't giving mutilated, psychotic bastards command of genetically engineered vampires and sending them out to kill a group of terrorists who were using an alien ship to attack the government.
>>
>>68255787
Farscape is a more modern better version of Blake's 7.
That being said, it could use a good reboot too.
>>
File: travis.jpg (6 KB, 360x252) Image search: [Google]
travis.jpg
6 KB, 360x252
>>68256463
>mutilated, psychotic bastards

What did you call me, you socky cunt? I will cut off your head and shit down your neck.
>>
>>68256186
What other people said: you will endure several camp filler episodes, and possibly the most dire special effects ever seen on national TV (space ships that are literally felt-tip drawings held up in front of the camera).

But the script, the characters, the ideas, and the acting are genuinely top-notch. It's streets ahead of any of the sf stuff that came out around the same time ... or even over the next few decades.
>>
>>68256520
i don't think the crew of Moya hated each other to the extent that the crew of the Liberator did. dislike, maybe, but how often did they actively try to murder each other?

Blake's seven were really only together because they were all Federation criminals with nowhere else to go.
>>
>>68256649
>But the script, the characters, the ideas, and the acting are genuinely top-notch.

lol

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Blake's_7
>>
File: travis 2.png (203 KB, 639x441) Image search: [Google]
travis 2.png
203 KB, 639x441
>>68256609

your Travis >>>>> bouffant mockney Travis
>>
>>68256655
>how often did they actively try to murder each other?
multiple occasions, I'd say 6-8 times per season
>>
Bumping.

I'm wearing a black teleporter bracelet today.
>>
Just a few comments on this thread from a long time Blake's 7 aficionado

- the crew didn't all hate each other. Gan and Villa were best buds, Blake and Jenna probably got together off screen, Tarrant for sure banged whatshername in a cave, and Cally had a crush on Avon. As for Blake and Avon, they had a "complex" relationship, Blake always stated to Avon that he didn't believe Avon would betray him - and he didn't; for his part, Avon bitched and moaned about Blake's idealism, but stuck with him and searched long and hard after he disappeared - I think Avon's cynical outlook needed Blake's idealism somehow.
It's true that Tarrant and Avon bullied Villa and completed with each other a lot.

- If you like science fiction you have to give it a try. The fx are a joke (yoghurt pot spaceships and bubble wrap aliens) but the dialogue and stories are well written in a uniquely English (downbeat) way. Despite the cheapness, the scene where they first find the Liberator still has the power to send shivers down my spine

- I'm on mobile. Someone post the video of Avon's witty remarks and bantz, you know the one.
>>
>>68256081
>That last scene
>>
>>68256520
I love farscape and Blake's 7.
Blake's 7 is far darker.
Its one of the more hopeless dystopian scifi plots around.
The Star Trek mirror universe episodes are Blake's 7 minus the campiness and redemption
>>
>>68257238
Got you m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80
>>
>>68257315

> was terminally afraid of Blakes 7
> watched it religiously anyway
> Dad mocked me for my fear
> I tried to explain that I was genuinely in fear for my heroes' lives
> final episode
> final scene
> I turned to my father with tears streaming down my face, and a look that said "I was fucking RIGHT"

A childhood-defining moment for me.
>>
>>68257489

Nice
>>
imagine if they gave the reboot to Joss Whedon? HAHAHAHAHA oh wow, such quips
>>
>>68259547
IIRC Whedon did cite B7 as one of his big influences for Firefly.
>>
>>68260245

There are some similarities. But in Firefly / Serenity, the good guys lost, then they won. In Blake's 7, they lost, and then they lost - and then they died.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.