[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comparing BvS side by side with Civil War, you cannot argue that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 17
File: 1460622079084.jpg (73 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
1460622079084.jpg
73 KB, 960x600
Comparing BvS side by side with Civil War, you cannot argue that BvS actually has a good unique style whilst Civil War looks plain bland with no originality when it comes to color and lighting (just like at that camera position of Black Panther - why is it low looking up at him?

Is he meant to be resembling a high God status? I do not think so comparing it to the high up camera of Batman who at that point is literally looking up at a God i.e. Superman so it makes sense.

The lighting too is so bland for Black Panther's shot - it's as if they did not use any experimental filters or designs and literally edited the raw camera footage and said that's it.

Civil War I am sure won't have any memorable opening compared to BvS where every frame was carefully planned.

Even if you did not like the movie you cannot argue that Snyder takes utter most care to his work to make it 100% visually appealing.
>>
>graphics is better than gameplay
>>
>>68250444
DCucks at least lose properly, this is getting sad.
>>
>>68250444
Trips witnessed
Holy kek
>>
>>68250444
Left: Instagram
Right: No filter

that's the only difference
>>
>>68250549
>Holy kek
Is there something more cringeworthy than a Redditor doing their own variations of memes in a sad attempt at fitting in?
>>
>>68250444
and also another thing: Civil War's less use of CGI by making the fight at boring locations like outside building backdrops and an airport is being done on purpose.

They are doing this so people won't critisise them for over use of CGI.

Even though an airport and the Hollywood carpark is a boring cinematic appeal; it is being done on purpose.

Even though Snyder does know that CGI backgrounds do not look 100% real as real life he STILL decides to do these because he wants the movie to look interesting and stand out instead of imaging Batman and Superman fighting at an airport the whole way through.
>>
>>68250555
This is a Batman Vs Superman movie and is meant to be full on fantasy. I take my cool Instagram like shots instead of a boring no filter.

>Also: 444 Vs 555
>>68250444
>>68250555
>>
>>68250444
>Damage Control: The Thread
>>
File: 1458935641929.jpg (16 KB, 620x374) Image search: [Google]
1458935641929.jpg
16 KB, 620x374
>>68250563
>>68250444
That's the problem, Snyder is a visual director, nothing more, there's nothing in his movies apart from pretty shots.
This guy would be better making ads than making movies.

It's hilarious how hard Snyder has attempted to recreate comic-book shots so that his fans take pics of it and shill the movie for them, and turns out the most memorable shot related to BvS is pic related.
>>
>>68250444
Sweet trips.

But visually, yeah Snyder stuff looks great. It's unfortunate that you can watch his movies on mute and don't give a shit about the characters though.
He's like the opposite of Kevin Smith. Snyder can direct and Smith can write but not the other way around.
>>
>>68250444
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/13/captain-america-civil-war-makes-superhero-movies-great-again.html

>It’s most unfortunate for Warner Bros. that, at its core, Civil War explores the same existential themes as Batman v Superman—only far better articulated, and with fewer mommy issues (spoiler: No Marthas die on the Avengers’ watch… that we know of). Instead of two lone superman-children trading blows in the rain, Civil War’s ensemble is made up of grown people wrestling with grown-people problems in the light of day, negotiating their conflicting worldviews in the name of living and working together.
>>
>>68250444
I honestly don't find Snyder's visual style appealing, it's stark, empty, and sterile. And for what? What is the aim of his cinematography? What does it say about the story? There's no consistent tone, or thematic elements at all. It's empty posturing.
>>
>>68250444
>>68250563
And even then, i'd rather watch Civil War because in the end, if I wanted pretty shots, I would just search photographs on the internet.
>>
File: Poetry.png (315 KB, 1140x304) Image search: [Google]
Poetry.png
315 KB, 1140x304
>>68250638
At least Snyder takes his time to re create comic book shots like this.
>>
>>68250668
Exactly, this is what he wanted, for you to take these shots and shill for him, because he knows outside of visuals he has nothing to offer.
He just wanted the nerd culture drones to say
>WOW LOOK AT THIS IT LOOKS LIKE THE COMICS

And that's a problem, what's the point of making a movie, when the only thing you have to offer are things that can be experienced without even watching it?
Why watch BvS when you can just google some cinemagrids?

This guy should not be directing movies and the fact that they still haven't fired him is baffling, but if WB wants their Avengers to be another blunder that will do nothing but spawn some memes and make some comic book shot comparisons pop up, go ahead.
>>
File: IMG_3423-copy.jpg (1 MB, 2340x1002) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3423-copy.jpg
1 MB, 2340x1002
>>68250652
>here's no consistent tone, or thematic elements at all.
What are you talking about? Snyder heavily basis his movies on religious symbolism.

Hence Jesus with the red cape in MoS which is done on purpose to show Superman like Jesus who is at this point questioning himself and his responsibility for mankind.
>>
>>68250668
>surprises were had all around the day OP revealed that hack Snyder does little other than recreating comic book stills
>>
>>68250444
visual oriented directors like Burton or Snyder are kind of a rarity in hollywood. Good cinematography doesn't translate in box office income, but it does generate aditional costs, so is surprising that we still have a few nice looking blockbusters.
>>
File: 2623634.png (220 KB, 762x426) Image search: [Google]
2623634.png
220 KB, 762x426
That scene in Man of Steel with the "You are not alone" writing on the tv as all the power cuts out was truly haunting. Snyder is perfect at directing suspense thrilling scenes; as we saw with Batman's Martha Grave demon scene.
>>
>>68250444
Snyder's problem is that when he gets an idea he doesn't let go.
Yes, we get it, Superman = Jesus, can't you move on ahead?
Superman has had zero character development throughout the entire movie, which is bad because the current Superman is not who we know who Superman is, the only thing we have had were more and more religious symbolism.
Seriously, this happened in MoS too, why can't we move on to something else?

>>68250747
The difference is that Burton makes use of his visuals.
Snyder just thinks of a pretty shot and he puts it in the movie without any thought.
Might as well just take pictures and upload them on Instagram.
>>
>>68250717
>spawn some memes

You know now that you mention it, I bet a Snyder Spawn movie would look amazing. It would really fit his style, I think.
>>
File: MoS_2.png (4 MB, 2188x916) Image search: [Google]
MoS_2.png
4 MB, 2188x916
>>68250747
Just look at how good this imagery is
>>
>>68250444
Problem is, visuals alone won't save a movie if you are lacking in every single other aspect.
Plus for some reason, the CGI in these movies looks like a goddamn videogame.
The CGI clusterfuck fight against Doomsday looked like fucking Devil May Cry.
>>
File: dawn_of_the_justice_league.jpg (47 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
dawn_of_the_justice_league.jpg
47 KB, 620x620
I absolutely cannot wait for Justice League! It will seriously be the best superhero group movie!

Ezra Miller as the Flash was the ultimate perfect casting choice and I am so happy they did not choose the white boy horny jock from the Flash tv show.
>>
>>68250444
But BvS style just works for certain scenes, the rest is just bad
>>
>>68250922
shit bait is shit
>>
>>68250820
beautiful
>>
File: 1460523075149.gif (2 MB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1460523075149.gif
2 MB, 500x278
>>68251152
very beautiful indeed
>>
>>68250922
>how to be a delusional faggot, the post.
>>
>>68250563
>and also another thing: Civil War's less use of CGI by making the fight at boring locations like outside building backdrops and an airport is being done on purpose.

Everyone who has seen CW says that the airport fight scene is one of the greatest fight scenes put on film.
>>
File: 1447600873884.gif (844 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1447600873884.gif
844 KB, 200x150
>>68251577
>Everyone who has seen CW says that the airport fight scene is one of the greatest fight scenes put on film.
>>
>>68252857

You sure showed him with that animated gif
>>
File: 1439654398211.jpg (792 KB, 3264x2353) Image search: [Google]
1439654398211.jpg
792 KB, 3264x2353
>>68252857
My lack of dubs says the airport fight in Civil War is far better than any fight in BvS
>>
File: giphy.gif (315 KB, 320x199) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
315 KB, 320x199
>>68252931
>My lack of dubs says the airport fight in Civil War is far better than any fight in BvS
>>
>>68252857
Link 3 group brawls you find better. And no, they can't be "heh so bad it's good". I'm sure since you find their post laughable this will be easy for you.
>>
>>68250444
>you cannot argue that BvS actually has a good unique style whilst Civil War looks plain bland
>you cannot argue that Snyder takes utter most care to his work to make it 100% visually appealing
You mean "can argue"... right? If the things are the way you're saying, that Snyder is very visually minded whereas The Russos aren't (they clearly aim towards realism), and the evidence we have (your screencaps) backs that up, then that's a strong argument. Meaning you absolutely can argue it.

You can't argue against it.

How does anyone discuss anything on this site when the grasp of English is so poor?
>>
File: 1438916505813.jpg (300 KB, 979x1251) Image search: [Google]
1438916505813.jpg
300 KB, 979x1251
>>68252959
Search your feelings

I have the high ground
>>
>>68250444
If by style you mean instagram filter, yeah, snyder has style.
>>
>>68250444
At least for the first two there is no significant difference in the quality of lighting camera work
>>
>>68250668
But that pose is iconic because its Batman making a pose, not because "WOAH LOOK FOR ONE FRAME HE REFERENCED THE COMIC WHILE DOING AN UNRELATED ACTION"
>>
>>68250444

Critics dont care about technical issues at least is wacky victorian dresses
>>
>>68250647
What normal adult uses the term "grown people"?
>>
File: Pepe-The-Frog-Enough-27.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
Pepe-The-Frog-Enough-27.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>It's the "Snyder isn't a great director" meme again
>>
>>68250774
>>68250774
>shitty jump scare
>suspense

I loved the "You Are Not Alone" bit, that was genuinely creepy. Man-Bat coming out of Martha's grave is not.
>>
>>68252931
YOU ARE CORRECT GOOD SIR
>>
>>68250725
I'm glad you can take all that meaning from one shot, because most people just look at it and think Snyder is a dumb pretentious hack.
>>
>>68250444
>Comparing BvS side by side with Civil War, you cannot argue that BvS actually has a good unique style

I don't think that anyone has ever said that Zack Snyder is a director lacking for distinct visual aesthetic. His films are always beautiful to look at, though generally in a very dark sort of way. And he usually manages to get good performances out of his actors. His problem is with his story construction - he tries to throw everything possible in, resulting in bloated films that get awkwardly cut down for theatrical running time. He needs to rein it in, make more concise and coherent stories that won't get hacked apart or feel overstuffed.
>>
>>68250512
they are when watching a movie faggot
>>
File: 1446698752247.jpg (22 KB, 863x421) Image search: [Google]
1446698752247.jpg
22 KB, 863x421
Man this BvS meme is going on longer than I expected. I guess it won't die down till long after Civil War at this rate, whether or not its better
>>
>>68256079
Not really.
>>
>>68255334

He's a solid visual director, but should never ever be allowed anywhere near a script and is also in serious need of a good editor most of the time.
>>
>>68250444
They're both shit, I don't see the argument
>>
File: 56339503_p0_master1200.jpg (493 KB, 590x874) Image search: [Google]
56339503_p0_master1200.jpg
493 KB, 590x874
>>68255533
And your numbers confirm it!
>>
File: DC_fans_today.gif (3 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
DC_fans_today.gif
3 MB, 320x213
>>68250444
>>
The only reason I respect DC is because they're actually trying to make more sophisticated films. Whether they accomplish this or fail is a whole other matter but there are seeds of greatness.

Marvel is a fucking cancer. Its fans basically admit "yeah, they're fun and stupid films but they don't aim any higher anyway so it's acceptable." They're basically advocating and trying to justify stupidity.

Why the fuck aren't people more critical? Do you really have such low expectations? Superhero films have been compared to going the way of westerns - so when the fuck will we finally get the "Unforgiven" or "Assassination of Jesse James" of superhero films?
>>
>>68257572
>when the fuck will we finally get the "Unforgiven" or "Assasination of Jesse James" of superhero films

Or Shane.
Or High Noon.
Or The Searchers.
Or Stagecoach.
Or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Or Once Upon a Time in the West
Or True Grit
Or No Country for Old Men
Hell, I'll even throw in Giant as a more modern 'western' epic

Superhero films might be shoved down our throat just as much as westerns, but at least there were a bunch of solid westerns that had a lot of care put into the aesthetics (music, cinematography, etc.) and story by directors like John Ford, Fred Zinneman, George Stevens, Clint Eastwood, The Coen Brothers, and Sergio Leone.

Superhero movies, especially Marvel "films", are mostly being made by television directors or other "filmmakers" who cannot come close to the above mentioned.

Dark Knight trilogy, whether you like all three of them or not, is the closest we have gotten to the above and until people start actually holding comic books to a higher standard as something that can be more than 'fun' they will never reach that point again.

In terms of quantity and the cash they make -- yes, Superhero films are like westerns. Even taking into account the multitude of shitty western films, there were still a LOT of great ones whereas I can only think of maybe 2-3 superhero films that are "good/great" and that might just be personal preference.
>>
>>68256257
Not really
>>
>>68250647
>"Civil War’s ensemble is made up of grown people wrestling with grown-people problems"

>grown men swinging and flying around in capes and pajamas

God fucking damn I hate these man-children capeshit reviewers.
>>
if I had one wish

it would be for DCucks well being. I pray for you niggas.
>>
File: 1460623065782.jpg (82 KB, 960x199) Image search: [Google]
1460623065782.jpg
82 KB, 960x199
>>
>>68250661
Film is a visual medium.
>>
>>68250444

They both look like filtered crap.
>>
>>68257572

I love how westerns, a genre that flourished in the 30s-60s, you choose to reference the most pleb friendly, post-1990s western films.

Fuck off moron.
>>
>>68250661
>story is the only thing that matters in film

I want this meme to die.
Yes, story is important -- but so is how it is presented.

If there is no effort put into the visuals I might as well be reading a fucking novel. The best films have both good stories and good visuals, and honestly sometimes I'll take a film that is more visually appealing even if the story is a bit weak.

For instance, I love "The Mission" despite it's somewhat meh story because everything else about it works so well, especially the visuals (cinematography is top notch -- as is Morricone's score). For this reason alone I will watch it over any Marvel film any day of the week.

Also Marvel stories are bland and completely forgettable. The only good thing their scripts have are jokes to mask the forgettable and/or piss poor plot.

At the end of the day, I hardly believe any of these superhero films will be looked back upon in years by anyone other than nostalgia-fags.
>>
>>68257826
Quality post. The Dark Knight trilogy is the only superhero movies I wouldn't call capeshit. Nolan set out to make great movies, not just great Batman movies. He took the mythos of Batman and translated it into something that transcends the superhero genre. I could say The Dark Knight is the greatest superhero movie of all time but what really sets it apart is that it's a superior action/crime-drama/thriller film.

The opposite holds true for most superhero films since then, including anything put out by Marvel that is critically-acclaimed. Iron Man was a great superhero movie. Captain America 2 was a great superhero movie. But the creators of these films don't set the bar any higher than pleasing nerds, kids, and comic-book fans. They're content on making great superhero movies, and nothing more. They're uninterested in transcending the genre and creating a classic movie in and of itself.

I have a feeling Snyder kind of wanted to do this with BvS, but another part of him wanted to please the nerdy superhero comic-book crowd and that's why the movie ended up being such a mess. He tried to mix heavy themes and imagery with the ridiculousness of a straight superhero movie that was smothered in CGI and shoehorned advertising for the Justice League movie. He melded a simplified, soulless mimicry of Nolan's style with the worst aspects of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This leads to another point -- the shared cinematic universe thing will prevent future superhero movies from ever becoming great films. They will all become episodes within a larger framework that is either too homogeneous in it's tone and execution (Marvel films) thus rendering each episode forgettable, or too inconsistent (DC films) which dismantles the overall narrative.

We will continue to have capeshit, in the form of good and bad superhero movies for the foreseeable future and I don't expect to see a superhero film anytime soon that could rival any classic western film.
>>
>>68250444
Yet....

>Left - JUST
>Right - KINO
>>
>>68250647
>grown people problems
>oh no those aliens killed less than 100 people
>the genocidal robot killed only a little more

WE GOTTA BE PUT IN CHECk
>>
I agree with you anon. BvS was really good looking. Civil war will probably be the better movie though
>>
Im just waiting for the postmodern Snyder movement where his artistry is finally appreciated

Once these infantile marvel movies stop being released then maybe reviewers can grow up.

Like, just the fact that "marvel movie" automatically brings to mind certain qualities is endemic of the commercialized assembly line culture we consume where high art is regarded as an anomaly. I realize now fully and entirely that if Nolan's name was not on the Batman films then "professional" critics would have been much harsher
>>
>>68250444
Lmao a low shot like black panthers is literally called a "hero shot"

Try harder next time you pseudo intellectual pleb
>>
>>68259729
Doing everything by the text book? How creative of Marvel
>>
>>68250444

question: why are audiences clamoring for serious takes on characters that are obviously juvenile and intended for children? nostalgia? if so, why not imbue the films with the humor and gonzo concepts often found in the source material? the Marvel films do this well, and the DC ones tend to strip the stories of nearly all humor.
>>
>>68250668
>WOWIE IT LOOKS LIKE THE PICTURE WHO CARES ABOUT THE TEXT AND MEANING BEHIND THE PICTURE STORY IS FOR SUCKERS
that's why snyder is trash
>>
>>68250647
Page does not exist?
>>
>>68259787
>muh fun: the post
doyou write for variety?
>>
>>68255334
He isn't you stupid cuck.
>>
Ignore - connection issues
>>
>>68250725
DUDE SUPERMAN IS JESUS LMAO
>>
>>68259824
why would anyone watch a superhero comic book movie if not for fun, mate?
>>
>>68250444

BvS is a generic Zack Snyder production, aka looks like a music video because that's all it is.

Meanwhile Marvel movies have a house style (like their comic books) all their directors strive to achieve so there's a continuity between them.
>>
>>68259787
Why should every film franchise aspire to be the same generic crap?
But your bait is the weakest, repetitive shit m8. 'Intended for children' is low tier bait, kid.
>>
>>68259908
You don't 'strive' to achieve a generic house style. Just the opposite.
>>
>>68250444
100% visual appeal doesn't make a movie good anon. Now go back to your cave til Suicide Squad drops. Might redeem ya lol
>>
>>68259908
>strive to achieve
>house style

Pick one.

If they want continuity and no director's voice/visual and tonal differentiation they should make them for television.
>>
>>68259986
Not OP, but film is a visual medium and directors should strive to make their films worth paying the $$ to sit in theaters and see on the big screen.

If I want to watch something purely for the plot I'll turn on television. I expect more with films.
>>
>>68250638
>there's nothing in his movies apart from pretty shots.

Except all the themes from literature, art, mythology and current politics in BvS.
>>
>>68259908
>a director's personal style is "generic"
>multiple directors following a house style is something to achieve
Wow, anon, you really fucked up.
>>
>>68250444
>>68250555
TRIPS VS QUIPS
>>
>>68256079
>gameplay = plot, story, action
fukin autist doesn't understand post

By your logic, Transformer movies are good movies
>>
>>68259930
>generic crap
huh? no one said anything about making them generic. if anything, they should focus more on sharper writing and innovative action sequences.
>Intended for children
are you telling me these characters on which the films are based were not intended for children?
>>
>>68250922
they're really still going through with this, huh?
>>
>>68260078
You mean hamfisted, heavyhanded, nonintellectual tripe.
>>
>>68260159
THE DAWN OF DUBS
>>
>>68260268
At least Snyder tried. All Marvel directors peddle the same exact thing over and over. A bad DC movie is more interesting than a good Marvel movie these days.
>>
>>68259488
I think you'd have better luck if you publish your novel on Amazon instead of 4chan
>>
>>68260663
If you actually read OP's post you'd find that he makes some very good points. But I guess this is why you read comic books, right? Few words and lots of pretty pictures to keep your 5 second attention span entertained.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>68256079
Go cry us a river DCuck. You didn't even get it
>>
>>68260785
I'm pretty sure snyderfags are the ones who like them pretty pictures and "muh symbolism". You're the one who didn't read OP's post assclown
>>
>>68250638
There's lots of stuff to enjoy in his movies. The problem is that he barely knows how to put a story together.

Watchmen is his best film because the story was already laid out for him, all he had to do was transmit it to film. The negative thing about that movie is that the story was already laid out for him and all he did was transmit it to film.

If he would work on telling a story coherently, work on inserting his own personal style and themes in a more subtle manner, work on pacing and structuring plot in a way that makes sense and allows his movies to flow, and allow his characters to become more emotionally engaged with the audience...he could probably make an amazing film.

He's already got an awesome visual style, he can direct great action sequences, and there's a vague intellect in a lot of his films that set them apart from other "bad" films, but he needs to learn how to put a movie together. I'm a huge fan of Watchmen in spite of it's flaws, and I was hoping Man of Steel and BvS would see Snyder improve. Sadly, he seems like a guy who just can't learn from his mistakes.
>>
>>68261252
Truth. Some of these boys just can't get over the fact that Snyder couldn't overcome this weakness. He just masks this with lots of visual fan service
>>
>>68250774
yup. underrated
>>
I like the ability to actually see a scene instead of feeling lost in darkness like in DC movies
>>
>>68250561
Qwit with the negative shills, un familia. You're started to act pretty JUsTed. Smk.
>>
>>68250725
HOLY SHIT

I JUST NOTICED JESUS IN THE BACKGROUND

SUPERMAN IN FOREGROUND, JESUS IN BACKGROUND

SUPERMAN IS JESUS

BRAVO SNYDER
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.