[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question to film making-bros, how do I get night shots properly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: Coyote-palms1.jpg (197 KB, 600x251) Image search: [Google]
Coyote-palms1.jpg
197 KB, 600x251
Question to film making-bros, how do I get night shots properly?
>>
>>68230575
One thing you could do is shoot when it isn't completely dark and then darken it in post
>>
>>68230575
Lighting and great aperture
>>
>>68230575
turn on a light init
>>
>>68230575
ISO has something to do with it.
>>
>>68230575
do it at night
>>
File: emily blunt sicario 3.webm (3 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
emily blunt sicario 3.webm
3 MB, 1920x800
Use infra-red camera.
>>
>>68230575
Look at his right eye, that is not a catchlight from the street.
>>
define properly
>>
>>68230575
use lots of poop
>>
>>68230575
film at day, add filter
>>
>>68230805
Shit movie.
>>
You shoot night scenes outside at twilight.
>>
Use a green or dim light, or get a better camera. You could make it black and white, then the noise in the picture isn't too bad.
>>
>>68230975
lol why do people get so triggered by Sicario
>>
>>68230817
The roof of the cab is rigged for lighting. I saw a behind the scenes.
>>
>>68230575
>that scene and the conversation prior to it
Based movie
>>
just tint it blue, man
>>
>>68230646
Which is a fucking hassle and a half. You've got like an hour and the light temp and intensity is changing every minute.
>>
>>68231232
Plebeian complex.
>>
Get a Sony A7S and crank up the ISO

Thank me later.
>>
Shit advice all around in this thread.
Few options you can do.

Get a speedbooster which will help you get more light into the sensor.

Shoot with fast-lenses preferably below f/2.8 for zoom lenses and f/1.8 from primes

Get a soft fill light to light the characters face.

And if you have money look into the new APS-c cameras from sony
>>
if you want it to look like a mann flick you will need shitloads of lighting, and then darken it in post as needed.

that's just one way to shoot night scenes, there are many others though they're more about mood or ambience, since you can't show too many details.

if you want to use twilight's natural light you will probably need a week for one scene.
>>
>>68230575
DSLR + invest in high aperture lenses, they are worth it every penny

if DoF is a problem:
medium ISO
medium aperture

if DoF is not a problem:
low ISO
high aperture

NEVER EVER crank up the ISO above 1000. Always bear in mind that Canon has less noise in ISOs that are a multiple of 160.
>>
>>68231725
what kind of soft light? I only know kinoflo
>>
>>68230575
the song played during that wolf scene was kinda tacky
>>
>>68232310
I really disliked the songs in Collateral, felt like they were just two minutes of audio filler. Throwing in some track from Audioslave just dates it in a bad way, to me

>>68231896
>Always bear in mind that Canon has less noise in ISOs that are a multiple of 160

Neat, I didn't know that
>>
>>68230575
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2cCGm-5a0

This is an example of a well lit set at night. If you don't have a DP or are doing run and gun shooting the Sony A7s does awesome low light stuff. But honestly you are going to want to light the hell out of your set. Lighting never gets the credit it deserves, a lot of people consider it an afterthought but you really want a DP who knows what they are doing and what gear you will need.
>>
>>68231365

You don't shoot at golden hour retard. Do it at 2-3pm with a polarized filter and turn down exposure and color temp in post.
>>
>>68230841
no
>>
>>68232646
>>68230575

DPfag here.
Sometimes good lighting can be real simple. Take this shot from collateral for example. They had one key light and one background for the shot, you can see the glare from it in the top left corner. It was probably a 2k light for key and a 1k for the background. The important thing to remember is that your set will look bright to your eyes but when you view it through the camera it will look how it is supposed to. Cameras need a lot of light to be effective. Make sure you have an accurate monitor so you can see what your shot will look like straight out of camera.
>>
File: collateral_deep-focus-1.jpg (181 KB, 1846x576) Image search: [Google]
collateral_deep-focus-1.jpg
181 KB, 1846x576
>>68233695
forgot image
>>
>S-Log or V-Log or whatever your log profile camera has
>ISO up to between 1600 and 12800
>adjust to minimise highlights

Simple.

It's 2016. Do the rest in color correction.
>>
I'm not OP but I have a question...

Is it possible to make short films from an iphone or ipad? I'm new in this and I want to start making my own personal films.
>>
>>68233835
Tangerine was shot entirely with a couple of iPhone 5Ss
>>
>>68233835
Absolutely, a good story told in a compelling manner is what's important. Just try to avoid cliches. A good camera is there to compliment a good story. You can have amazing gear and still have a shitty film if the story is garbage.
>>
>>68230575
high iso, wide aperture, light balloons

or do like Mad Max Fury Road and just put a blue filter on the camera
>>
Studio lighting and after effects.

Don't even try it as a amateur film cuck, I can already see how fucking edgexcore your lame ass short is gonna be
>>
>>68233880
>>68233941

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
>>
>>68233835

I'd probably get something cheap like a gopro rather than a device like that
>>
File: 91DOXlnCzML._SL1500_.jpg (169 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
91DOXlnCzML._SL1500_.jpg
169 KB, 1500x1000
>>68233695
>>68233729
>>68230575
DPFag again
Something I like to do when planning out a shoot is find shots in movies that I like and figure out where all the lighting is coming from and try to recreate that shot in my head. Ask, how many lights, what focal length, how is the DoF. Things like that. This shot from Killing Them Softly for example has a lot going on, at least 3 lights.
>>
>>68234112
you'll still need to invest in some type of gimble/mount/portable tripod though unless you want your films to be constantly shaky
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.