[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Indie Film Thread. How many of you attempted to make your own movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
It's one thing to criticize them, and a whole different ball game to actually make them.
>>
>>68227693
When I was in sixth grade, I wrote a script for the pilot episode of "Ninja Monkeys" and got several of my friends and my dad to star in it. I think the trailer might still be floating around on YouTube somewhere.
>>
I'm not a filmmaker, I'm a critic.
I don't have to lay a finger on anything at all in order criticize it.
If you can't deal with that notion, artistic expression is not for you.
>>
>>68227693
That shit is hard dude. That's why I'm here talking shit about movies. I can't make a shit movie to save my dumb ass.
>>
File: images copy.jpg (14 KB, 239x211) Image search: [Google]
images copy.jpg
14 KB, 239x211
>>68227750
I completely understand. TOP KEK. The audacity. (YOU)
>>
File: 110815_r21179_g2048-1200.jpg (265 KB, 1200x1147) Image search: [Google]
110815_r21179_g2048-1200.jpg
265 KB, 1200x1147
>>68227768
Wow. A sincere human being on /tv/?
I have hope for humanity.
>>
>>68227850
Are you okay anon?
>>
>>68227693
I acted in one, it turned out way better than we all expected. Unfortunately the director moved to Ireland, took every copy with him and won't respond to anyone that was involved in the project. He's attending film school over there, so we tried the schools Facebook page and the only thing we were able to find out was that he entered the film in some small time competition and won.

I just want a copy for myself but the guy turned into a dick.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 751x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 751x425
>>68227693
Making a short with some buddies of mine for a Digital Storytelling Class, a noir short. I took an iron grip on the group early on since nobody else seemed to want to fucking focus on anything, but everybody seemed to enjoy themselves while shooting. I'm in editing now, but I got two pictures from the shoot here.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 739x423) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 739x423
>>68230563
>>
>>68230563
>>68230734
Looks great, what equipment did you use?
>>
>>68231052
Literally just a Canon 70D and a flashlight.

I just put it into Premiere and turned down the vibrancy/saturation, added a Noir filter, and I got basically the look I was going for.
>>
>>68231176
Should add, it looks way better in screenshots than it does in motion. I can get images to look great, but I'm shit at actually making motion look good.
>>
>>68231176
you used a 50mm lens?
>>
>>68230563
"GOOD LUCK" anon...
>>
>>68231176
>Literally just a Canon 70D and a flashlight.

How is that even possible, don't you care about good frame quality?
>>
>>68231499
No, just the kit lens.

I know I shouldnt use that but it's all I have atm

>>68231561
Why the quotes?
>>
File: homo sateessa.gif (502 KB, 500x223) Image search: [Google]
homo sateessa.gif
502 KB, 500x223
>>68231052
>what equipment did you use?

This is always the first question. Every fucking time.
>>
>>68231615
Honestly dude this is the first actual thing I've ever directed/shot so I'm just taking it as it comes right now.

I appreciate any tips though.
>>
>>68231735
>I appreciate any tips though.
I like how this thread came to a screeching halt when you said this.

Congratulations, you're the only filmmaker itt.
>>
>>68233482
Ah well.
>>
File: 424125214.jpg (192 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
424125214.jpg
192 KB, 2560x1440
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYExKHEz7Y
>>
Have any of you made fan edits of poplar movies, and do you have any tips for going about that?
>>
>>68233929
What in the fuck
>>
File: 26709842.jpg (746 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
26709842.jpg
746 KB, 2560x1440
>>68231735

Anon, whatever you do just keep making things, coming up with projects. Try to find some focus. The least important thing, EVER, is the equipment you are using. Just film, film things that are true to the world you find yourself in. Whatever you do, do not try to make another zombie film, another vampire film, some 50's noir film. Just make something that is true to the world. This requires you to be an active participant. Don't copyshit from vidya, from capekino, be a part of the fucking world and make shit about that. If you don't want to capture the world, invert into yourself, away from entertainment and other forms of distraction, and capture your dreams.

Pic is shit film I made with lots of potential. Currently finishing that and working on another project about a meme.
>>
>>68234146

Also come up with a system for filming.

It is foolish to JUST film whatever the fuck you want and paste it together. Have some method in place. Refine this method overtime. You do not have to stay with it forever but in the beginning stages it is very useful for training your mind in terms of what you can and cannot film on a small budget.
>>
>>68234146
>some 50's noir film
That's literally what those screencaps up here are
>>68230734
>>68230563

I agree with you though. I'm reminded of Werner Herzog's dream film school idea, basically saying you need to experience life in order to film anything of value or of note.

I'm still young though, so I don't see anything wrong with just making fun silly shit for now.

Also I think I remember you from some of the early /fmg/s. Glad to see you got that done.
>>
A tripfag here made a film inspired by Elliott Rodgers
http://www.listapad.com/en//programm/natsionalnyi-konkurs/igrovoe-kino/belorusskii-psihopat

Trailer
https://vimeo.com/149926462
>>
Jim jarmusch here. AMA
>>
>>68234375
Oh shit senpai

It looks decent but the lighting isn't great.
>>
>>68234286
What sort of system do you use? I'm a scatterbrained fuck, so what I did with this short was I just went out and shot what I could with the script while I had the battery to do so.
>>
I shot part of a short film last weekend. I wanted to get more footage, but my lead AND back up actresses backed out at literally the last minute.

It's fine, I found a replacement, and I'll rent the equipment again when all of out schedules align, but fuck me if I didn't ball out and get a C100+Atomos Ninja for that weekend. I can't swing that again, so I'll get a DSLR, both will be at 1080p, but about 2/3rds are going to be noticeably prettier/better graded.
>>
>>68234620
Fuck, that sounds awful.
>>
>>68234620
>my lead AND back up actresses backed out at literally the last minute
That sucks.

Has /tv/ ever done a "let's make a film" meetup?

I'd be down for that
>>
>>68227746
> sixth grade
> YouTube

get out.
>>
>>68234720
>implying half these anons ever leave the house
It'd be funny though
>>
>>68234729
Isn't there a capeshit thread you can go play in?
>>
>>68231727
it is for some reason vitun homo :D
>>
>>68234707
>>68234720
It was a missed judgement call on my part. The lead backed out the day before, and I had 30 minutes to give 24 hour warning on the rental. I bet I could scrounge an actress out of my friend group, and it had to be a girl, but I ran out of time anyways.

So I'll lick my wounds and finish it with a 70D or something.
>>
>>68234320

Yes, I'm aware of what that is. It is fine to be influenced by Noir and to experiment with it. YOU ARE YOUNG as you said. Just don't get caught up in mimicking styles, in mimicking past periods of film. Integrate the past into something NEW. While there is some practice to be had in copying past aesthetics, it should be nothing more than practice, or a tool for creating something new.

For the most part Herzog is right. HOWEVER, experiences such as this, as sitting at a computer and participating in an online community, are also worth making films about. The problem is making it interesting. You do not have to make a film about someone interesting for the film to be interesting. While I think it helps to have interesting experiences, especially if you are writing, I would imagine some interesting writers not being very interesting people. But it's probably because they have interesting mental illnesses so their mind is still fresh.

I actually did not get the project done. I have 36 shots that need to be completed, My friend has to act in front of them (his silhouette needs to be composited for a "noir" feel) but I'm too depressed to work with him, see him right now. I was frustrated with the project overall because the sound was so awful. I paid over 700 for the sound and if I am serious about the project I have to re-do it because the bit rate or whatever that the guy recorded at was trash.
>>
>>68234794
>It'd be funny though
I think so. It's cool that memelover came out and that memelover 2 is in the works but I think a /tv/ made film by /tv/ would be great
>>
>>68230364
Im pretty sure thats not even legal. Even with small time productions he should have got you to sign an actors release form in the first place if he was to enter it into a competition.
>>
>>68234720

Is anyone in LA?

I doubt I would want to make what other people make, but I would be happy to hire /tv/ users for a project I am going to film in a few months. I would pay extras $50 for two separate shoots totaling approximately four hours.

The project concerns this specific board so it would be fun to use actual users.

email me at [email protected] if you are interested. It's a throwaway email so I don't check frequently but will definitely get back to you.
>>
File: asuka smug.jpg (15 KB, 248x233) Image search: [Google]
asuka smug.jpg
15 KB, 248x233
>mfw started to make a script and it`s going on smoothly
>>
>>68234912
>Just don't get caught up in mimicking styles, in mimicking past periods of film. Integrate the past into something NEW.
I wholeheartedly intend on doing this. Trying to build a style that's distinct, something I can be known for.
>>
>>68235001
Very similar to what others have told me, it was one of those friend of a friend situations. My friend that introduced us goes way back with me but he ended up getting screwed by the guy also. My friend lent him some nice lights, don't know about the make/model, but the guy took them with him when he moved. Apparently the lights were some kind of vintage lights that he paid $2,500 for each one, he had six, plus the stands and a rack.

>>68235056
Damn, i'm in PA about 20min outside philly
>>
>>68234600

My system is basically built around the fact that in the beginning I had no one to help with the camera work, no actors except myself. I do not have many friends who are free, everyone works, and I did not want to waste anyone's time dealing with a beginning filmmaker. So I had to leave my camera on a tripod and cut with static shots. I had no choice but to develop something around this. I am mostly against shaky cam and wanted composed shots. If I had movement I wanted it to be composed and I couldn't do that. I am still mostly holding off from this and hoping that if I go to film school I can finally move a fucking camera the way I want to.

So for the most part I still use static shots. I identified that the style of one of my favorite filmmakers, Bresson, could be adapted to using no movement. The movement would have to come from the editing. Much more to it but I identified Bresson as the best filmmaker to craft my style from because when you do not have much money you can still create epic scenes within the confines of this style.

And fuck it, here is a sample from the rough cut of my film which demonstrates some of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIZjh0Dmb0
>>
>>68235566
Pretty good-looking stuff, though the acting was a bit weird. I could see what you meant by primarily static shots, though in the beginning it looked like it was moving quite a bit.
>>
>>68227693
About to Direct my final film of my Degree. Everything with the script and actors I'm confident with but my Director of Photography has been stressing me out as fuck with his availability and pretentiousness, plus my producer was 4 hours late to a shoot the other day so we only ended up getting 3 shots, plus the shoot cost me about £200

I'm trying to add in as many subtle /tv/ memes and references as I can
>>
>>68227693
ut oh! it's a cunnyfu! this thread was posted by the mind-control culture-creators to bump it. to keep it seen, keep it in view, to keep the pedo agenda alive. i see you, culture-demons, i see you loud and clear. i know what you're trying to do. painfully obvious, yet utterly ineffective to anyone who knows what's going on. this is an mkultra mind-control thread that is encouraging degeneracy, attempting to create the subconscious approval of deviant behavior and desire in the minds of its viewers. it's unfortunate, that these evil people and their army of lowly-shitstain minions exist, but they do. and this is their handiwork. if there is a hell, it is reserved for scum like them. garbage-beings that push these initiatives, however seemingly-subtle. hide the thread. proclaim the truth. this is an mkultra mind-control psyop thread.
>>
>>68235566
>So I had to leave my camera on a tripod and cut with static shots.
Remove the cage and fan blade from an oscillating fan and mount your cam to it.
>>
File: image.jpg (250 KB, 892x591) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250 KB, 892x591
>at student film festival a few weeks ago
>suddenly a short that was posted on /tv/ comes on
>mfw

https://youtu.be/INpO0ws2RA8
>>
>>68235894
You okay bro, need some water?
>>
>>68235886
i hope you fail hard, faggot
>>
I'm saving up money for gear and actors right now. Just bought a Panasonic gh4 and a glidecam along with a lens, now I just need a tripod and a sound setup. I know exactly what to do since I've been studying this stuff on my own time for a year now, and I like to think my movie ideas are pretty damn good. They're a lot more story/conflict driven than a lot of the indie amateur "experimental" garbage that I see on Vimeo.
>>
>>68235566
I like your rough cut anon.
>>
>>68227693
made a short for 0 money in my free time
got into 6 festivals including LSFF
LSFF is a pretty highly regarded festival
i was surprised, considering it was over 17 minutes
going to do it again this year
>>
>>68235886
>I'm trying to add in as many subtle /tv/ memes and references as I can
Godspeed anon
>>
>>68227693
Currently making an animated webseries. It cuts out a lot of complications (actor availability, camerawork, lighting) and its still a slog. Editing is 90% of the work. If I weren't voice acting in it, too, it'd be 100% of the work, and editing sucks.

Some indie films should never be released. I understand how much work it was, but if I as the audience am getting sleepy from watching it, its not a good product.
>>
>>68227693

Feel free to check it out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2114knVbM8M
>>
>>68235881

As you can probably tell, the protest footage is real. All shots with my actors/actors were re-staged at the same places the initial protests occurred.

When I first began filming I was filming the protests without realizing I was going to make a film. So I was moving the camera around and not yet working within my system. After that opening protest I realized I was going to make a film about this and I adjusted my style accordingly.

HOWEVER, this actually helped the scene, luck. The first protest sequence is very long, almost two minutes, and it builds up to this moment where the protesters are blocking off the intersection and the camera circles with my actor. It builds up and feels like this moment where my actor is believing in this movement, participating in it, which is undone through the rest of the protests in the film, undone when he drowns himself at the end of the film. So it still worked, it was a building up to the movement.

In regards to the acting it is something I learned A LOT from. This was my first time working with other people.

Overall I am happy with the performances. I am happy I did not give them false emotions. However, I made them too stiff and this is something I am actively working towards improving. My current project is being written around actors having a certain "air" or expression to them.

I was trying to stay true to the performances of Bresson and I mistakenly created something wooden. I won't do this again.

What bothered me most is the voices and this is something I also hope to fix. I had to dub everything in post and it came out terribly. Right now I'm saving for sound equipment.
>>
>>68236267
Pretty good but not as good as Birdman
>>
>>68236289

Should have done it in one take over the course of 12 years.
>>
>>68236040
>HALEX!
>>
>>68236261
Posted anywhere anon?
>>
I'm going to make a god-tier movie and post it on /tv/ when it's done. Mark my words.

The screenplay I have written is some crazy shit.
>>
>>68227693

I will film a zero budget version of the plane scene if you big guys show real interest
>>
>>68236394
YOU FUCKING BITCH! LET'S WORK IT OUT!
>>
>>68236528
I'm 6'4, 190lbs, about 15% bodyfat

I'm interested
>>
>>68236580
does your first name start with E and last name start with T?
>>
>>68236267
Fuckin nice. You been around for a while now, good to see you're still working on stuff.
>>
>>68236665
No
>>
File: uabigguy.jpg (175 KB, 600x901) Image search: [Google]
uabigguy.jpg
175 KB, 600x901
>>68236528
U a big guy u can do whatever you want.
>>
>>68236703

Cheers anon, Im shooting another film in May and I'm hoping to get a feature done by next year, will post whatever I manage to do.
>>
I've been working on a short for six months and I wrap really soon.
>>
>>68236855
Congrats familia
>>
>>68227750
Those that can, do. Those that can't, shitpost.
>>
>>68236429
Usually just updates on /rpgmg/. Currently ongoing. Almost done.

youtube.com/user/253entertainment
>>
My main problem is recording audio. I'm poor and I don't have the equipment to make a good audio recording. What do you guys use?
>>
>>68240223
I've been using a Blue Yeti, which is exactly what you don't want. USB microphones aren't good investments in the long run. The quality is more than workable, but if you ever want to cross into actual VA you'll want a proper setup. This set of videos is great for showing the hows and whys of voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sjZJ9i_mH0

A Yeti in a properly dampened room will sound great to normal people, but professionals will pick out the difference. If you ever get a budget, get the proper setup
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.