[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is rooting for DC the latest contrarian meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 1776x898) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 1776x898
I mean, look at this list. There's no way people are being serious
>>
>>68214010
But there's no DC in that picture, what are you talking about?
>>
>>68214029
I think OP is trying to say that DC can't compete with Marvel in capeshit.
Which is true, no matter how much /tv/ redditors yell about Marvel being shit or DC being better.
But all capeshit is garbage anyway, so who really cares?
>>
>>68214077
I care. I like some of the comics, I like some of the films.
>>
>>68214010
>all those B-grade IPs

KEK
>>
>>68214029
I'm saying, Iron Man ignited the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we know it today. The 11 films that have been part of the MCU thus far have been nominated for plenty of awards, with recent films such as Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy both being Oscar nominees. It’s clear that Marvel and President Kevin Feige have developed a stunning collection of movies with essentially no competition. However, with the introduction of 2013’s Man of Steel, DC plans to develop their own cinematic universe to finally compete with Marvel. Unfortunately for DC, they will not provide much of a competition.
>>
>>68214138
Way to completely miss the point, but I guess that's par for the course with redditors.
>>
>>68214029
>>68214184
Here are 5 reasons why I feel DC’s Cinematic Universe will not compare to Marvel’s current cinematic masterpiece.

1. The Timeline
When the much anticipated Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice rolls around, it will be the second film in the DCCU (DC Cinematic Universe) as a follow-up to Man of Steel and a lead-up to a Justice League movie. Although the movie’s title has its own issues, DC’s entire sequence for their movies almost seems illogical in comparison to Marvel’s. The MCU had a solo movie for each of their primary characters prior to The Avengers, whereas DC is planning to introduce their primary heroes in Dawn of Justice and/or Justice League Part One without any previous solo appearance. Of course it will lead to the inevitable team up. The reason DC won’t do the same as Marvel is because they do not want to mimic their adversary’s setup, and they want to compete as quickly as possible. There is speculation regarding a team that is already organized in the Justice League movie which will most likely turn out to be true considering the difficulty of gathering characters to defeat an opposing force without any earlier structure among the characters. DC clearly does not have the patience as Marvel did, and I fear that this could potentially hurt them and their movies.
>>
>>68214184
Well obviously DC is starting from a weak position, but if they put in the effort they could be a decent rival.
After BvS I'm not so sure if they're going to work things out too well, but Batfleck has potential.
>>
>>68214201
2. Zack Snyder. Zack Snyder/David Goyer
If there’re two people that you shouldn’t start a shared universe with, they're Zack Snyder and his wingman David Goyer. Although Goyer has the impressive Dark Knight Trilogy in his resumé, you can give the credit to Christopher Nolan for that. With the exception of those three Batman films, most of their creations have been disappointments. Zack Snyder is infamous for his overuse of CGI and cluttered fight scenes, which typically resulted in too many stale movies, like Man of Steel.

Goyer is no better. His trash talk about DC characters has more meaning to it than his movies. Ooh. In regard to the brilliant character of Martian Manhunter, he stated, “How many people in the audience have heard of Martian Manhunter?" The audience applauded and cheered. "How many people that raised their hands have ever been laid?" He later goes on to discuss how he should change the iconic character’s unique origin. I mean no disrespect to these two, but when someone has a large amount of responsibility to DC and treats important characters with disregard, they’re asking for it. Both Snyder and Goyer are figures that should not be in charge of a movie, let alone a DC franchise.
>>
>>68214214
>>68214224

3. The Absence of Christopher Nolan.
Batfleck is ok, but there’s no doubt that Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises were some of the best superhero movies ever made, and the only three good DC movies. The International Movie Database (IMDb) even has The Dark Knight ranked the fourth best movie ever made! According to the same source, no other superhero movie even comes close. The astonishing director behind these movies is named Christopher Nolan. He redefined superhero movies as a whole. Including The Dark Knight Trilogy, he’s responsible for other breathtaking movies such as Memento, Interstellar, The Prestige, and Inception, which are considered some of the best movies ever made. Nolan is the opposite of Zack Snyder, and it now looks like he was their last hope.
>>
>>68214254
4. Where Is Martian Manhunter?!
When DC initially revealed their plans for the upcoming years, there was no Martian Manhunter solo movie or any scheduled appearance. This shouldn’t only be my concern, but yours as well. Although there is time for this to change, it looks unlikely. Martian Manhunter is one of the most influential superheroes ever. He’s the founder of the Justice League who was one of the only full-time leaguers. Even Superman and Batman weren’t as committed to the Justice League as he was. The likely reason this brilliant character will not be introduced is due to his lack of popularity as well as his many similarities with the Man of Steel. The absence of the Martian named J’onn J’onz is defiantly a con, considering the multifarious powers and abilities and his incredible origin—which is a topic for another article.
>>
>>68214201
>DC’s entire sequence for their movies almost seems illogical in comparison to Marvel’s
It could work, granted they get actually talented people involved.
Warner Bros. won't, though, so the movies will probably range from Man of Steel (decent) to Batman v Superman (terrible).
The best thing WB could do in regards to their cinematic universe is to bury Snyder in the Mojave desert.
>inb4 BvS was 3deep5u
>>
>>68214285
5. The Characters
The debate in regards to who has the better characters, Marvel or DC, has been an ongoing issue ever since the golden age of comics. However, if one is referring to movies, Marvel would have the edge. And it looks like it will stay like this.

Marvel has a variety of characters with distinct origins and different powers from each other, which gives their characters more flexibility when developing a fresh movie, while DC is the opposite. DC characters such as Wonder Women and Superman are nearly identical, and they will both have solo movies. DC also plans to release a Ben Affleck Batman solo film. But do we really need more standalone Batman films? I like with the idea of Affleck’s Dark Knight appearing in movies as a secondary character or even a cameo. He will pop up in Suicide Squad, but not as a main character—which is what will make this Batman appropriate in the new DC Cinematic Universe. On top of this, The Flash will also be getting his own film. The problem? I understand that this movie would make money, and he is a fan favorite character, but what makes his on-screen character/hero different than Quicksilver? Marvel’s Quicksilver was a boring character until the end of the movie. It didn’t seem like this character mattered until he was killed.
related content
>>
>>68214077
DC could compete if they had the same business sense that Marvel/Disney do, but they don't. Marvel had the foresight to lay the groundwork and make people care about their characters with setup movies. They also used their TV networks to make shows that tie-in. Meanwhile DC/WB are rushing their Justice League movie to play catch up and assuming it will make Avengers money. It won't; people won't give a shit about The Flash, Cyborg, or Aquaman without a standalone movie to set them up. To make matters worse, they actually had established characters in the Arrow and Flash TV shows, but decided to squander that built in audience and character development and make them a separate continuity. What I'm getting at is DC will make the wrong choice every time, and we should all laugh at their misfortune.
>>
>>68214322
>people won't give a shit about The Flash, Cyborg, or Aquaman without a standalone movie to set them up
People will NEVER give a shit about Aquaman.
>>
>>68214303
BvS was 4deep6u
>>
>>68214322
Why don't they want to use the characters from Flash and Arrow? Doesn't make sense for me to not use them.
>>
>>68214500
Well you see anon, they're not the smartest people on Earth.
>>
>>68214500
Snyder is a spiteful idiot who can't appreciate any takes on a character beyond his own. No seriously, I think it was brought up in an interview and he said he wants his universe to be more mature and dark and they wouldn't fit. Can't wait for that to reverse once he gets fired and "oh hey, here's a portal that links to the CWverse, let's go recruit those heroes!"
>>
>>68214010
They've shown more quality and soul in two titles (MoS and BvS) than anything Marvel has shown, and this will probably stay that way.
>>
>>68215369
No they haven't and you have no proof.
Deadpool has more "Soul" purely based that it was a passion project and made for the fans with the smallest budget they got and the years put into getting this thing made.
>>
>>68214670
>Warner Bros. fires Snyder
>Justice League 2 has Flash dying and then multidimensional hijinks ensue and the movie ends with GrantFlash and Green Arrow joining the team
Hire me now
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.