[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How real was this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 200x252
I know everything is dramatized to a degree but I'm watching this with a friend who is piping up and every scene saying "oh that's a green screen, and so is that." When it comes to basic shots of Tim by the river or in a field with the Bears. Is this true and is there any proof you can link?
>>
Well the guy did get eaten by a bear. If thats not real enough I dont know what is.

He was playing with fire and getting away with it for a while. Most people just dont take the risk even though they could attempt the same with wild predators.
>>
>>68212185
It's a documentary, not a movie. Which should give you your answer.

It's real. The documentary of Treadwell is shot by himself or Huguenard. There are no actors doing "dramatized" scenes.

Your friend is a retard.
>>
>>68212253
>The documentary of Treadwell
Hurr durr I meant the material of Treadwell, as in the shots where we see treadwell or hear his voice or the shots he took himself of bears and so on.

In any case it's all him, there isn't an actor playing him in any scenes
>>
File: FitzWerner.jpg (53 KB, 532x496) Image search: [Google]
FitzWerner.jpg
53 KB, 532x496
what the FUCK

it was only 'dramatized' in herzog's manipulative telling
treadwell didn't film shit with a greenscreen. he was a real life psychotic who got really really killed

people have a hate boner for papa herzog, the extent to which he 'dramatizes' his films is way overblown, he's not changing facts, he's just kind of manipulative
>>
>>68212185

your friend is an idiot
>>
File: 1376528972266.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
1376528972266.gif
2 MB, 236x224
What the fuck are you talking about? Of course it's real, all of it
>>
How can people not tell what a green screen is, or what a documentary is?
>>
>>68212446
>>68212253
i get the sentiment here but documentary =/= real
>>
>>68212253
I am reading this thread to him right now and feeling very good and vindicated but he is not relenting he continues to argue saying "do you know how much a little green screen costs? It like 80 bucks. I don't doubt he went up there and did this stuff but I think Tim put a lot of this together for drama later because it looks like he was filming this for some kind of reality show." Also the coroner and Tim's ex girlfriend seem like actors to my friend.
>>
>>68212517
your friend is a contrarian retard

>he would love this place
>>
It's true. All of it.
>>
>>68212517
Well then maybe he should watch some real drama like Big Brother.
>>
File: url.jpg (6 KB, 171x253) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
6 KB, 171x253
>>68212517
>Also the coroner and Tim's ex girlfriend seem like actors to my friend.
That's Herzog's style, he likes to capture people however they present themselves to the camera. He's noted for leaving the shot lingering an uncomfortable amount of time after his interviewees are finished speaking, and often, you can see them sort of click off their 'acting' mode because they think they are no longer being filmed. This is what makes people in Herzog's documentaries often look so artificial as they speak, only then to reveal themselves in the final lingering seconds of the shot.

The coroner and the ex-girlfriend Jewel Palovak DO come across like actors, the coroner maybe uncomfortable on film compensating with a forced overconfidence, the ex-girlfriend revealed as a fraud, looking for sympathy.

I don't have anything on the coroner, but dig this, Jewel Palovak as she appears on Google. Is that not the same woman as in the film? (hint it is, she also partially funded the film) From Google I see she also did a Reddit AMA, (again, attention seeking whore) read that if you're still skeptical.

Tim Treadwell is also the same as the one seen in the film and there are numerous sources you can confirm his filming on. He really was a fuckhead who went up into the bush and filmed himself around grizzlies. His films from over the years were archived, and as you know from the doc, they recovered his final reel, those REALLY WERE his films that Herzog had to review, edit, and work with in this documentary.
>>
>>68212517
Treadwell shot most of the material in the fucking 1990's - he died in 2003. At that pre-internet time, greenscreen technologies or digital manipulation was on a very, very, very different level than they are now. Fuck only massive Hollywood productions tended to have greenscreen scenes in the 90s and they all look laughably shit to the current viewer despite the multimillion budgets.

Treadwell shot the material to be used to promote his grassroots bear protection organisation. In a way, it was meant to be promotional material, so of course he selected the scenes carefully, posed the shots, tried to find drama and so forth. But it's still shot straight on location, it's him in the shots with the bears.

I repeat that your friend is a fucking retard who apparently can't grasp that what's functional, cheap and available technology now wasn't necessarily so 20 fucking years ago.
>>
File: herlksmersh.jpg (7 KB, 184x275) Image search: [Google]
herlksmersh.jpg
7 KB, 184x275
>mfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>68212579
Ok sorry for the potato quality of the pic but I wanted to do this quick. I had him show me a scene he says is green screen. He asks why is the sun on the Bears back but no shadows cast any where else and the Bears seemingly small size in relation to Tim."
>>
>>68212758
You can see the day is very overcast; the clouds soften the light and make it sort of ambient so you don't get clear sharp shadows like with direct sunlight. Basic understanding of how light and weather works. The light is different on sunny, cloudy and rainy days, yes?

Also the bears are smaller because they are further away. This is basic perspective; if you look out of the window, you fill find that things further away appear smaller. Again, think of all the shit tourist pics where the person photographed is pinching the Eiffel tower or pushing the tower of Pisa or holding someone else on their palm, when in reality the other thing is just far away and the shot has been positioned and framed carefully.

Again, your friend is an idiot who thinks he's being smart and skeptical and ends up looking like an utter retard as a result
>>
>>68212758
Is your friend Dougal? Some things are small, other things look small but they are just far away.
>>
>>68212975
That looks green screened as fuck, the real Eifell Tower is much, much bigger than that! Also why is no one casting a shadow? Pfff dude, get real, green screen are like 80 bucks don't ya know
>>
>>68212758

kick this retard out of your life anon
>>
>>68212975
I just said this to him in a far less eloquent way so thank you sir. As soon as I read this to him he turned red and STILL won't admit he is wrong. He is on his knees by the tv trying to talk about perspective.
>>
>>68213016
Oh he's mad now. He says what about this shot? He is standing in a wooded area why is there no shadow from leafs or even his brow.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>68213261
Oh shit sorry here is pic.
>>
>>68212733
I feel Ill
>>
>>68213417
it's not real
>>
>>68213432
Agreed anybody got the real?
>>
>>68213493
his mum
>>
>>68213417
the tape got destroyed
>>
>>68213417
you feel 3?
>>
>>68212758
>>68213312
So he think that they green screened in the sun and leaves. For what reason? Why not stand in a forest? You or your friend are actual regards. Actual non functioning people.
>>
File: 1453659853493.jpg (13 KB, 284x115) Image search: [Google]
1453659853493.jpg
13 KB, 284x115
>>68213206
He's desperately trying to convince you he is smart. He is not. I've met obnoxious cumrags like this before. A simple "can you leave" suffices. Never speak to him again.
>>
>>68213509
the lanisters send their retards
>>
>>68213206
I can understand feeling skeptical if he's young, since these days everything is so digitally altered, a lot of cameras have some autofilter softening the skin right as you take the image and whatnot, and photo editing and greenscreening and cgi have become so commonplace.

But it was different during the analog film times, like the 90s and early 2000s, retouching actual film is/was a real bitch and still usually ended up looking like shit. Especially in moving images. It's important to understand that media should be viewed in context to the time and era it was made in.

Treadwell was essentially a surfer bum turned environmentalist hippie, he simply didn't have the means for pro hollywood multimillion dollar tier special effects gimmickery.

>>68213261
"shadow from the leaves"? For that to happen there'd have to be some direct, harsh, strong source of light, like a theatre floodlight, quite close beaming right into his face and then some leaves very close in order to cast an identifiable shadow. The sun could operate as a floodlight, but it'd need to be unobstructed light until just the couple of leaves making the shadows. However if there's some clouds filtering and diffusing the light, and then some tree thicket that the light has to bounce through before hitting Treadwell, of course the light wouldn't be strong and harsh and coming from only one source enough to cast sharp shadows like that.

The shot is a bit shit and the sky isn't seen, but it looks like there's a brighter spot in the background, indicating that Treadwell isn't standing in direct harsh sunlight but in a spot where the light is diffused through trees, again making it much softer. The light on him seems to be pretty similar to how the light falls on the leaves and branches around him; coming from above, quite soft which of course lessens the shadows.

Light quality and direction affects the shadows a lot.
>>
>>68212185
The problem was the guy in Ops picture thought it was a green screen too.
>>
>>68213509
I've have never claimed to be properly functioning. He was just wrecking the movie with all his shit I asked him if he has every watched the nature channel even once. So after a Google search that only resulted in non-reputable blogs and cracked.com I decided to bring it to the board. He is sufficiently crushed and now I can finish my movie in peace. 4chan really makes the world a better more silent place every once and a while. Thanks lads.
>>
>>68212758
I mean, it's possible they color corrected or digitally touched up a shot or two. (They didn't) But what would that even matter? The story is real, the majority of the footage is definitely real, Timothy's death was real ... what is your friend trying to prove?

His knowledge of perspective and greenscreens? You should put on Terminator 2 and let him pick out all the SFX scenes for you.

He's a fucking nonce any way you look at it. If he's skeptical of the whole film, he's wrong, if he's skeptical of details nobody cares about: nobody cares. He's probably just trying to impress you anon. He probably refers to himself mentally as a cinephile, or he might just be trying to have sex with you.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3160x2619) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3160x2619
>>68213615
He's not young enough to be so stupid. He is 28. We have always been big movie and TV fans he more than I but he recently just started getting super obnoxious about this shit ever since his childhood best friend came back from living in LA for 8 years. LA boy is so up his own ass and full of shit. LA's most recent story is he went on a date with pic related voice actor but she said she wouldn't date a guy who lived in his car. I haven't looked into his story but I can tell he is full of it about most things. My friend and LA put on a movie and argue about it the whole movie instead of watching it. For people so pretentious about cinema you think they would like to view the movie.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.