[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will The Babadook and It Follows usher in a golden age of cinematic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: ows_141832556012285[1].jpg (2 MB, 2000x1347) Image search: [Google]
ows_141832556012285[1].jpg
2 MB, 2000x1347
Will The Babadook and It Follows usher in a golden age of cinematic horror?
>>
>>68208328
I hope future horror is more like It Follows, because The Babadook was a colossal piece of shit.
>>
>>68208328
kinda disappointed the Babadook was all in her head and not a character they could develop, could have been a villain like Freddie.
A whole franchise based on it. You finally come up with a cool villain and you give it no character, it sucks.
>>
If there was a bit more of the monster in the Babadook it would have been better, i know the director wanted to focus on the hidden meaning and psychology of the mother and child but it barely felt like a horror movie.
>>
>>68208422
Horror "monsters" don't work when you run them down with franchises. Artists should only worry about their stories being self contained. If you really want to be frightened and disturbed you need to cut that shit 20th century horror movie thinking right now. Your thinking is cancerous.
>>
>>68208328
I wish more horror movies like this were made today.

There is literally zero scary movies made by Hollywood in the last 10 years.

The nightmare sequence in BvS is what you could call true horror.
>>
>>68208612
All of BvS is a nightmare sequence
>>
File: 81GVOXRIW-L._SL1500_[1].jpg (185 KB, 1064x1500) Image search: [Google]
81GVOXRIW-L._SL1500_[1].jpg
185 KB, 1064x1500
>>68208470
I think horror can be a very transcendent genre, in the sense that it can elicit more than just thrills and chills.

Pic related is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen, but it's hardly very frightening.
>>
>>68208328
It certainly helps dropping the birth rate.
>>
>>68208723
Completely agree with your movie choice, i watched it completely blind to the plot and i was pleasantly surprised. and i agree with your point but there was so little actual horror in the Babadook that it became boring and just felt like a story of a psychologically damaged mother and son.
>>
>>68208760
Which would you prefer:

Being eternally pursued by an enigmatic and hostile entity, or having to take care of a severely autistic child?
>>
I think the days of truly terrifying or scary horror are over, or at the very least only occur once every 5-10 years or so. I think the best that horror can hope to achieve today is eliciting a feeling or atmosphere, or making the viewer feel uncomfortable or disgusted.

My favorites since 2000:
Session 9
Let the Right One In
The Conjuring
Martyrs
It Follows
The House of the Devil
Paranormal Activity (because I am a sucker for supernatural horror, especially involving demons)
>>
>>68208422
>the babadook was all in her head
Anon...
While allegorical, her child clearly interacts with it beyond what she sees and does. The little shit has a goddamn seizure.
>>
>>68208811
>and just felt like a story of a psychologically damaged mother and son.

But that's exactly what it was going for.

I wasn't scared by the movie either, since most of it was too familiar for me on a personal level to be eerie, but it left me completely devastated emotionally. I have to admit, it was damn effective.

It's fine if you don't like it though. It's kinda like Melancholia. You either love it or hate it.
>>
>>68208840
no Kill List?

That's the #1 for me.
>>
>>68208840
>Martyrs

Martyrs is an unsung masterpiece of dread.

That woman in the basement gets me every time.

Also, I thought Antichrist was a really brilliant horror film.
>>
>>68209069
Too derivative and poorly made. Good idea. Poor execution.
>>
>>68209122
Yeah, I will add Antichrist and also Starry Eyes.
>>
>>68208328

the babadook is pure shit.

i'll be sure to never watch it follows if it compares...

thx for the warning i guess
>>
>>68209261
The Babadook IS pure shit. It Follows is a totally different movie. It has flaws, but if you like the '80s vibe, then you will love it.
>>
>>68209205
And Goodnight Mommy. Fuck.

Haven't seen The Witch yet, but I hear good things.
>>
>>68208840
people like to shit on The Conjuring, but its honestly my favorite horror movie ever.
>>
>>68209261
It Follows is nothing like it
you have to watch it
>>
>>68208422
>This horror movie would be great as a franchise
Please no
>>
>>68208581
kys
>>
>>68209261
It Follows is a slow-paced, retro-styled horror movie that plays entirely on the viewers own sense of paranoia.

The only thing that it has in common with The Babadook is that they are both psychological horror movies, and that they are both really fucking good. I guess they also both have blonde women as protagonists.

I recommend that you check out It Follows. Just its soundtrack is worth the price of admission.
>>
>>68208839
What's the difference?
>>
>>68208840
>The Conjuring
How can people enjoy this shit-show? It's as bad as Insidious, and even more unoriginal.
>muh witch killed her children for the glory of satan
>muh cliched possession movie
>muh james wan formulaic nonsense
>>
>>68208328
Babadook was shit mate.
>>
>>68209552
Don't ever compare such shit like Insidious to The Conjuring. It just makes you look ignorant.
>>
>>68209490
>>
>>68209597
You sound like the ignorant one. They're both subpar messes.
Please explain to me what makes The Conjuring anything above mediocre.
>>
>>68208361
u is wrong son.
>>
>>68208422
Do you realize what you're saying is completely contrary to the idea of ushering in a new era or horror films? Making a franchise out of the babadook would be terrible. It's not creative, and would lessen the impact of the original film.
>>
>>68208422
also, no the monster's not just in her head. It's real and it's a manifestation of her personal issues.
>>
>>68209486

calling the babadook "really fucking good" invalidates all your opinions on movies...

will definitely not watch it follows
>>
>>68208723
just anons being anons. People on this board are idiots.
>>
Why can't people into horror just enjoy a fucking movie?

It's always either a goddamn religious experience that was the best thing that's ever happened to them or a steaming pile of shit that was so bad it gave them cancer.

Surely there's a whole spectrum of quality in between on which most of these films fall. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>68209772
It's quite a bit overrated at this point, but it's still a fairly good film.

It Follows is good, but not for the same reasons as Babadook.
>>
>>68209772
What didn't you like about The Babadook, anon?
>>
>>68208840
no addendum needed for listing paranormal activity. It's a pretty good movie. The husband was awful though.
>>
>>68209752
>>68209731
I'm just being practical and pointing out the missed $, le movie turned out shit anyway, apart from three scenes pointing out the potential the movie had.
>>
>>68209361
That's because you're a pleb
The Conjuring is what happens when you give reasonably talented people a really shitty movie to make. It's generic as all fuck.
>>
>>68209792
>Surely there's a whole spectrum of quality in between on which most of these films fall.

Yes, there is, but It Follows and The Babadook is at the extreme end of the good side of the spectrum.

Why would I want to talk about average horror movies?
>>
File: The-Skin-I-live-In-Huge-Poster.jpg (2 MB, 2953x2215) Image search: [Google]
The-Skin-I-live-In-Huge-Poster.jpg
2 MB, 2953x2215
>>68209772
it follows is better but it isn't perfect

personally I think the witch is better than both of them and Let the right one in and pic related are even better.
>>
Did anybody else enjoy Krampus? It felt like really good comfy horror, if that makes sense.

I really want the director to go through all of the holidays now that he's got Halloween and Xmas down pat.
>>
>>68209552
I don't get it either. I hated it as much as every other generic haunted house movie. Though the horror movie genre has always been dogshit you only can enjoy as a small child. As an adult any enjoyment is had ironically. It's all camoy slashers and jumpscares with purposely annoying protagonists.
>>
>>68209122
Antichrist had some successful elements but at the end it just felt really flakey without reason for being so. A movie like the Tree of Life for example is flakey done right, Antichrist = flakey done wrong.

Plus the violence felt way out of place though that's partially do to my own tastes so whatever.
>>
The Witch felt very refreshing. If this is a new era of horror The Witch is definitely near the front of the pack
>>
>>68209772
It follows is miles better than the babadook, but the latter isn't bad at all.
>>
>>68209939
agreed, the only thing wrong with it was the cheesy witch cackle but the later witches chanting sounded really threatening and awesome and I felt it was worth seeing in the cinema

also I felt the scene with the 'glamoured' witch wasn't that great

everything else including black phillip was tops
>>
>>68208723
The American remake was just as good .
>>
File: 1407134562162.gif (2 MB, 298x317) Image search: [Google]
1407134562162.gif
2 MB, 298x317
>>68209860
Is this any good?

I'm interested in it as long as it's not one of those hyper symbolism driven arthouse kind of movies, I want coherency in what I watch.
>>
>>68208723
Same with Wake in Fright, I never found it frightening but it was a fantastic movie and was still horror
>>
>>68210719
Wake In Fright is in no way a horror
>>
>>68208328
Not unless Disney decides to get into the horror game, by which I mean perfect the horror game.
>>
>>68210643
No.
>>
>>68208328
Jesus fucking christ, /capeshit/ board when? The fact that you are even suggesting a studio outside of Walt Disney could produce something even slightly watchable tells me you are an insolent DCuck and need to be reprogrammed.

>Reminder. Jungle Book is quantifiably better than the Godfather.
>>
>Usher in a blah blah
No. I loved both movies, but the college graduates involved in film-making now come from a campus culture of safe spaces and hurt feelings. People are both too mentally weak and emotionally tired after surviving the bitchy political landscape that creates impotent directors of Netflix horror films.
>>
>>68208839
I don't know famalam, let me go ask my parents what they'd choose nowadays.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.