[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can people say modern cinema is dead when miracles like this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 7
File: Z6hUgti.jpg (154 KB, 405x600) Image search: [Google]
Z6hUgti.jpg
154 KB, 405x600
How can people say modern cinema is dead when miracles like this masterpiece are still being made?

This movie came out in 2016 and is written like a great novel

Why do you nostalgiafags complain so much when good cinema is right in front of your face?
>>
>>68204623
Macbeth and Beasts of No Nation were the only truly great films of last year.

Ex Machina deserves credit for being a great movie though.
>>
Because you're not actually talking to people who like "cinema," but rather a board full of special help teenagers who think memes are funny. Did you miss that? Or did you somehow convince yourself that people who find repeating words and phrases several thousand times to be hilarious comedy have any actual interests?
>>
>>68204623
this shit is in the theaters here in my state wtf
>>
>>68204623
not capeshit? fuck off to >>>/co/ then. /tv/ is for capeshit and /r/eddit
>>
>>68204623
>liking 300Beth directed by Zack Snyder
>>
Look at the capeshit threads.
Look at the Dr. Strange threads, read the posts.

Do you really think that people who are hyped and found that to be good have any interest in cinema?

They don't. They're teenagers who can only spout memes.

/tv/ is not a board for movie discussion, /tv/ is a board to see who's louder and more obnoxious.
And don't forget to pretend to not understand scene, only so you can spout more epic memes.
>>
Really? Getting hyped by another Macbeth movie? I'm sure it's made competently bit macbeth was always the one Shakespeare play I couldn't stand
>>
>>68204623

>Macbeth
>written like a great novel
>fucking Macbeth
>Macbeth
>fucking macbeth
>god damn it fucking Macbeth
>seriously, for the love of all that is fucking holy
>you're talking about Macbeth
>fucking Macbeth
>Macbeth
>surprised

Honestly, /tv/. I'm done. I can't take it anymore. This place is horrible.
>>
>>68204623
I enjoyed it.

Shame most of /tv/ is too retarded to enjoy it with me.
>>
>>68204623
It's honestly one of the worst screen adaptations of Macbeth. I literally laughed out loud when they staged Lady Macbeth goading her husband into murder as a sex scene. It's so laughably edgy and pretentious.
>>
>>68204623
>This movie came out in 2016 and is written like a great novel
It was written over 400 years ago you faggot
>>
>>68205084
>I literally laughed out loud when they staged Lady Macbeth goading her husband into murder as a sex scene. It's so laughably edgy and pretentious.
fuck you
>>
>>68204980
Just turn your brain off, dude!
>>
>>68204674
Add Room to that list and I agree with you
>>
File: 1453584985133.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1453584985133.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>read critic reviews of Macbeth
>"could have been written better"
>people are allowed to say this
>Macbeth
>>
>>68206111
You do realize that the script for Macbeth isn't literally just Shakespeare's play, right? Scenes like the opening battle are entirely original, and the movie skips over certain scenes. It's perfectly reasonable to think that Macbeth is great, but the movie could have been better written.
>>
It was great. Problem is that the market aims at teenagers who drool over nigger batman beating some bland superhero. They're artistically crippled and therefore need to be executed
>>
>>68206111
They add and delete scenes. I'm not sure about Macbeth, but most of Shakespeare's plays run for like 3-4 hours if unedited.
>>
>>68206390
Macbeth was hella short. One of his shortest.
>>
>>68204980
patricians call it the scottish play
>>
Polanski Macbeth is better
>>
>>68207128
No only actors do, it's superstition.
>>
>>68207128

Only actors do and only when they're involved in a current production of the play, you plebiest of all plebs.
>>
>>68207217
It's everyone involved, stagehands and so on do it too. They did for this movie too,in some behind the scenes stuff.
>>
>>68204674

>Sicario
>Room
>The Invitation
>Mad Max

don't be a fag
>>
Dull, boring and visually tiresome. The film completely fucked up Lady Macbeth's character.
>>
>>68204623
>Why do you nostalgiafags complain so much when good cinema is right in front of your face?

>nostalgiafags

>shakespeare

anon you know this is a remake of shakespeare right? This script is 400 years old.
>>
>>68204705
Memes are the highest form of comedy currently being produced and are a hallmark of modern culture. To dislike memes is to dismiss the greatest modern art form. It combines both the surreal and hyper real. The forces of modernity with the forces of the past.

It's why Baneposting is the highest form of that art. It is esoteric and bizarre, but comforting.
>>
>>68204623
I've never seen a better example of a movie with a fantastic DP and a not so fantastic director as far as visuals go. The lighting and colors and composition are all top notch, but what is actually filmed is not. There is no creativity behind the chosen angles and the visual storytelling is atrocious.

This movie is a mix of some really great things and a lot of really bad things.
>>
>>68205084
this desu. it was trying to make macbeth into the 21st century.

Anyone who criticizes this will receive a reflex reaction of modern liberal academic verbal vomit, "hey man humans fuck. just deal with it you fucking troglodyte".
>>
>>68206111
the completely cut the most iconic, or one of the most iconic moments, which is the double double toil and trouble line.

actually that's one of shakespeares most recognized rhymes.

it's pretty shitty too because they cut it to fit a certain aesthetic, which is kind of punk rock and minimalist. You shouldn't cut important shakespeare lines just to fit your trendiness.
>>
>>68204818
>/tv/ is a board to see who's louder and more obnoxious.
at least /tv/ has some semblance of self awareness
i take /tv/'s celebration of pillette calling this a shit board as a good sign
>>
>>68208081
The whole out blasted spot scene was just the bitch monologuing. Nothing else going on just some shit for them to add to their demo reel.
>>
>>68207128
>>68207217
>>68207595
>>68207825

The rule of thumb is that you don't say it in a theater. It's not just actors, it's anyone, but it's mostly only theater people who care. But really it's just pleb theater people who buy into a stupid superstition meme because they think it makes them part of the "in" crowd.
>>
>>68204623
>and is written like a great novel

bait thread?
>>
protip: fasbender isn't that great of an actor.

did people even have fauxhawks in the 15th century or whatever?

i like this because i like shakespeare, but this wasn't as good as the source material :)
>>
>>68208147
I like the changes they made to the witches. We've seen them as threatening witch stereotypes already, these were interesting in how non-threatening and kind of dream like they were. Just because it's "iconic" doesn't mean it needs to be included for no damn reason, especially since this movie tried to make Macbeth look a bit more sympathetic. A lot of the witch lines do the opposite.
>>
>>68208064
So 4chan is the deep dark hole that art majors fall into after college, this is why you only see 1 in 10 later in life. They are shit posting here. The dead moving a among us
>>
>>68208245
I don't think shakespeare included those lines superfluously.
>>
>>68208301
don't fall for the memes
>>
>>68208354
Nobody said he did, but you can cut things from a work without it suffering too. It was an adaptation. They cut a bunch of other shit too.
>>
Which one is a better adaption, Throne of Blood or this?
>>
>>68208545
Throne of Blood
>>
>>68204623
Great bate bait, i love to hate.

Though I will say I really enjoyed this and it's the first time I felt like I could actually understand what was going on during shakespeare.

Probably gonna revisit branagh's shit now that I seem to have un-retarded myself. Still need subs, unfortunately. Thought the acting was good though a little too melodrama at times. Macbeth's death scene was great and since I never read it in HS (we did hamlet and romeo/juilet. also othello i think but I don't remember) I was fucking PUMPED on the mcbane or mcboof. Mcduck lmao. Whatever the fuck the guys name was. The twist where he is born via cesarean not 'of mothers womb'.

A nitpick though but didn't macbeth rule for a while and was like a bit fuckin old when he got killed? I felt like he was supposed to be tired of being paranoid of his achilles heel in the weird women's prophecy. He kinda just fucking gives up when the guy tells him and it makes me feel like "oh yeah ok so he was old and tired of being anxious as fuck and his wife was dead and everything was shit" but its like 10 mins after we find out mcduff is coming for him.
>>
>>68208508
you said if it was left in, it would be for no damn reason. And that's even implying not editing the text is a statement on its own.
>>
>>68208545
fucking samurai macbeth holy shit. thanks anon! and fucking d. by kurosawa of course god damn. I'm really pumped about this
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1bJR6Rwfgez
>>
>>68208683
Throne of Blood is amazing.

Watch Kurosawa's RAN afterwards. It's a King Lear adaptation and is even better than ToB. Kurosawa actually said that ToB was "nothing but a rehearsal for Ran"
>>
>>68208742
>>68208683
Whoops, I'm mistaken. Kurosawa referred to (the must watch) Kagemusha as "nothing but a rehearsal for Ran".
>>
>>68208659
That's not what I said at all, learn to read. It was left out for some distinct reasons, which is fair.
>>
>>68208771
Thank you, friend. I really do appreciate this. Though we may be two strangers worlds apart, at this moment, we have connected in the indelible- the very qualia that cordons our personal interpretation of causality from eachother has become a bridge sustained for but a fleeting moment, unmoored us from our blank harbors to let by us two ships, passing in the night. I raise my lantern to you with my clean hand, and not the one I'm scratching my itchy dick with. A measure of honor thus spent, may your orchards bear gross fruit and your wives birth plenty, and healthy, and often.
>>
>>68204980
lol idk ive never heard of macbeth before, is it a remake? haha
>>
Nobody on here wants to do anything other than shitpost and talk about capeshit, there's been multiple 200+ reply threads on a shitty short teaser for doctor strange
>>
>>68204623
It wasn't that good. I mean, it was definitely a solid 8/10, and I look forward to Kurzel's future work, but it wasn't really an incredible film or anything.
>>
>>68204623
Check out Coriolanus from 2011. Haven't seen it myself but want to.
>>
>>68208889
>Just because it's "iconic" doesn't mean it needs to be included for no damn reason

you can pick and choose lines, but don't tell me the edit is better than the original.
>>
Does anyone have webms for the MacDuff vs MacBeth fight at the end?

It was beautiful.
>>
>>68204623

>fair is foul and foul is fair
>hover through the fog and filthy air
>>
>>68209411
I wouldn't necessarily say it is, but it's not because they left that line out. The movie went with a far more "mild" take on everything and, again, made Macbeth more sympathetic than the play did (among other changes). It's an interesting take and I don't dislike it and it's the reason why some lines were excluded.
>>
>>68206111
>its old, so it must be good!

Shakespeare isn't good.
>>
>>68204623
yfw you find out shakespeare was real
>>
>>68204927
>bit macbeth was always the one Shakespeare play I couldn't stand

Yeah, I don't get it either. There's nothing really tragic about a king being tempted into being an asshole and just fucking everything up.
>>
File: kek.jpg (30 KB, 645x260) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
30 KB, 645x260
>>68204623
Talk about mixed opinions. Its either the best, or the worst.

Anyway, if I like all historical fiction and just enjoy seeing the costumes, sets and customs of ye olden times on display in movies, is there anything for me here?
I already know the story and I have no interest in seeing poorly choreographed sword fights, but I do enjoy the overall theme if its well done.
>>
>>68209970
tragedy is a genre in which everything goes bad.

>>68209862
macbeth is a pretty sympathetic.
>>
>>68209928
>Shakespeare isn't good.
Shut the fuck up. Shakespeare isn't good because he's part of the canon, he's good because he's an excellent writer. If you think otherwise then chances are you just don't understand him.
>>
>>68210173
>he's an excellent writer

Firstly, Shakespeare is a brand, not a writer. Likely multiple writers have published scripts as "Shakespeare".
Secondly, out of all the work labeled as "Shakespeare", not much is any good.
Thirdly, the work which is indeed good is very overrated these days. Simply mentioning Shakespeare implies excellence of the highest degree, which just isn't the case.
>>
>>68210173
He's an excellent poet, no, a poet *par* excellence. As a playwright he was just okay.
>>
>>68209928
>i'm literally better than shakespeare
>ignore that I've accomplished nothing with myself or highly respected in my field
>actually come to think of it our receptionist Jennifer seems to really hate me for some reason
>>
>>68210432
There is a strawman growing out of your strawman, anon.
Might want to go to the doctor to have it checked.
>>
>>68204980

>taking the b8 this hard
>>
>>68210302
I get it. You saw a few youtube lectures on the authorship question and you think you're clever for knowing that a couple of his works, mainly Titus Andronicus and The Rape of Lucrece, are dubiously associated to the historical Shakespeare. It's a shame that no serious historian believes that the vast majority of the works associated to him weren't written by him. The only actual evidence that the Oxfordians and Marlovians had was discredited by Shakespearean scholar James Shapiro, and most of the circumstantial "evidence" is explained by ignorance of 16th century publishing practices.

You know fucking nothing. I've dedicated countless hours to this question.

>out of all the work labeled as "Shakespeare", not much is any good.
That's an assertion, not an argument. It's subjective, but there are plenty of equally prestigious writers like Milton and Dante who aren't as widely read as Shakespeare for a reason: the creativeness of his language still resonates with people today.
>>
>>68210584
I get it. You are trying so hard not to identify with modern opinions on things that you've grown sheepish in the opposite direction of the people you seek to discredit.

>Rosalind: Where learned you that oath, fool?
>Touchstone: Of a certain knight that swore 'by his honour' they were good pancakes, and swore 'by his honour' that mustard was naught. Now I'll stand to it the pancakes were naught and the mustard was good, and yet was not the knight forsworn.
>Rosalind: How prove you that in the great heap of your knowledge?
>Touchstone: … No more was this knight, swearing by his honour, for he never had any; or if he had, he had sworn it away before he ever saw those pancakes or that mustard.

A literal God of poetry and prose, a wordsmith like no other, ney, a titan among men, who wields language like lesser men couldn't ever hope to wield even their own arms.
>>
>>68206111
Yeah man, Shakespeare should've totally won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay
>>
>>68210475
So you have accomplished something with your life? Specifically in the specific field that would allow you to comment on the quality of someone highly regarded as contributing to the top works in said fields?

In short, you got a photo of your Doctorate in Eng Lit and a list of your published works?
>>
>>68210757
I don't need to have written a book to critique a book. You are arguing from a fallacy.
>>
>>68210817
You have
>No arguments other than your stated opinion
Okay, so what do you have to back up your opinion
>You have no credentials to back up your stated opinion

So, you have fuck all then. Thanks for playing
>>
>>68210966
Okay. Using the same logic, lets read >>68206111

A critic says it could've been written better. He is a professional critic, that has critiqued before, and is popular enough for anon to find him and be worried by their opinion.
Anon hasnt critiqued, nor written, nor has done anything of worth.

Using your logic the critic is justified, their opinion is factual, and Macbeth could've been written better, thus the writer isnt very good.
>>
>>68210664
>You are trying so hard not to identify with modern opinions on things that you've grown sheepish in the opposite direction of the people you seek to discredit.
What the fuck does this even mean?

And that As You Like It passage was a lighthearted exercise in mental gymnastics that doesn't make sense outside of the context of the rest of the scene. The purpose was to point out that the knight's use of "by mine honor" was a tautology. The knight wasn't lying because he had no honor to swear by, which he lost by lying about the pancakes. I'm sure you understand this, but i'm not sure what's particularly bad about it.
>>
>>68211009
>tried to call people out on fallacy
>says shit like "Macbeth could've been written better, thus the writer isnt very good."

One man is a piece of a puzzle, not the whole puzzle. Art is entirely subjective, and there will always be a critic that disagrees with a piece of work.

It ends up being measured against the audience, it's why RT scores can sometimes vastly differ from audience scores, or why a movie that scores very well can make no money, or a pretty much shit movie can make a billion dollars.

There is a vast, wide discussion that can take place, but pretty much 99% of literally everybody thinks Macbeth is good, and they think it's good enough to teach it to millions of children in North America every year.

So for you to show up and be all "LEL SHAKESPEAR A SHIT" - you got nothing man. You are literally nobody. All you are trying to do is shit on established norms to make yourself feel better, or feel superior, or try and feel more cultured. I don't know, all I know is your opinion is pretty much objectively shit
>>
No, thinking Macbeth the movie is one of the reasons of death of cinema is THE logic conclusion to reach and clear as the day is bright. You see, frauds like this feeds the spirit of videogame players who want to seem superior for liking movies that are not made by Nolan or Marvel and think they are actually on place of judging anything beyond their dorito stained playstation console. I remember very well this movie and Inside Out being raved and outright ovationated at Cannes last year. Some subhuman scum idiot even went as far as suggesting that this meme flick Macbeth could win. Hilarious, wanted to ask him what was his background on film and what shithole did he came from to be able to appreciate shit movies so well. Thankfully, it was all fake meme buzz. Meme flicks like this and videogame players like OP is why I come here and battle everyday, intellectually, hour after hour without rest against the low iq cinema enthusiasts.
>>
>>68208683
Throne of Blood is one of the most proto-fedoracore flicks ever made. Having Kurosawa movie in your TOP 100 is basically giving your reddit account nu-cinephile credentials away.
>>
>>68204623
>This movie came out in 2016 and is written like a great novel

Like a great play you may say, you ridiculous retard?
>>
people who say modern cinema is dead are just retards
>>
>>68211380
The use of filters was absolutely ridiculous and there was no interest into the representation of Macbeth inner world but of making the elements in cinematography as broad as possible. A glorified videoclip with Shakespeare on it.

Neat photography does not necessarily make a good film.

However, you should stop the rant about memes and stuff, and start seeing a film by itself.
>>
>>68207857
> mad max

When will the "mad max was good" meme finally stop.
>>
>>68204623

>novel
>macbeth

WHAT HE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE
>>
how do you do this after welles and kurosawa? the guy's doing a video games movie next, just knowing this i know this one belongs in the trash
>>
>>68204623
Sure, it LOOKED great, but they fucked up the dialogue. Shakespeare is not supposed to be mumbled, it just sounds wrong. Also gratuitous shit like them having sex randomly while talking doesn't make for anything other than edginess.

The Polanski version was better.
>>
>>68213202
The ending was eye straining and absolutely didn't get how the pace is done in tragedies. Fucking digital being so easy to manipulate, it's ridiculous.
>>
>The is this a dagger I see before me scene isn't even a dagger it's some kid

FUCK
>>
>>68213180
Come gawler and talk shirt about Justin tough cunt?
>>
It was Macbeth: Music video edition
>>
>>68213368
This, way too many editing tricks, slow motion, jump cuts, timelapse, unnecessary camera movement and use of filters. It was saved by great performances and the script, though.
>>
>sub-7.0 IMDB score
>sub-80% RT score

Pass ;)
>>
File: matsurah-well.jpg (105 KB, 1600x815) Image search: [Google]
matsurah-well.jpg
105 KB, 1600x815
>Filters make for good cinematography

"no"
>>
>>68213764
Filters are fine. It's digital color grading that looks like shit.
>>
>>68204623
I'll agree with you when we get ten times as many movies of its caliber every year.
>>
>>68204623
1971 Macbeth was way better than this shit
>>
>>68213287
It's some kid holding a dagger
>>
>>68214047
Yeah, exactly, which misses the point of the scene entirely.
>>
>>68204623
isnt it 2015?
>>
>>68208094
FUCK YOU
>>
>>68208545
Throne of Blood is mediocre outside of Macbeth's death.
>>
>>68212907
When will your life stop?
>>
>>68207128
Theater people only call it that when they're in a theater working on a production. Calling it that outside that context is extremely tryhard.
>>
File: 1460480275632.jpg (306 KB, 1920x808) Image search: [Google]
1460480275632.jpg
306 KB, 1920x808
THANE MACBETH, I AM SCOTLAND
>>
>>68210302
Wew lad, hate to agree with a tripfag, but you should take a closer look at Shakespeare or watch some Kenneth branagh movie
>>
Macbeth was fucking garbage. That review calling it out on being Video Game Macbeth was so fucking on point, completely devoid of any original idea visually and narratively, on same level as fucking capeshit trash (artistically) but because plebs get fooled by color saturation and grading it's DA GOAT XDDDd
>>
>>68204756
>>68205084
>>68207983
>>68208081
>>68208094
>>68208147
>>68211380
>>68211872
>>68213180
>>68213368
>>68213487
>>68213764
>>68218584
"High-minded" plebs are unable to recognize quality cinema, and more gravely, show the extent of their close-mindedness by so many complaints about 'filters', 'too many cuts', 'music video' and 'videogame'. You people are a cancer; stick with theater.

One of the best films of the year, btw. Better even than very good Polanski and Kurosawa versions.
>>
>>68207857
>mad max
Jesus christ
>>
>>68212907
>>68218961
>Mad Max Fury Road isn't top of 2015 and one of the best action films ever made
*tips*
>>
>>68208195

>The rule of thumb is that you don't say it in a theater. It's not just actors, it's anyone, but it's mostly only theater people who care. But really it's just pleb theater people who buy into a stupid superstition meme because they think it makes them part of the "in" crowd.

>2016
>not superstitious
>not believing in the curse surrounding Macbeth

You're the black guy in the scary movie that is your life.

RIP.
>>
>>68205084

that is the kind of staging shakespeare would have loved desu
>>
>>68204623

I was planning on seeing it but my wife's son said it was shit. He always knows what's best.
>>
File: POLANSKIS-MACBETH.jpg (120 KB, 2050x1274) Image search: [Google]
POLANSKIS-MACBETH.jpg
120 KB, 2050x1274
>>68204623
Meh, the Polanski one was way better.

It actually shed some interesting new light on the material.
>>
>>68205084
>edgy
>pretentious
Leave it to the tripfag to show criticism :)
>>
>>68208147

>You shouldn't cut important shakespeare lines just to fit your trendiness.

why not

he would have
>>
File: rjbaz.jpg (178 KB, 736x1104) Image search: [Google]
rjbaz.jpg
178 KB, 736x1104
Daily Reminder that this is, and probably forever will be, the GOAT Shakespeare film adaptation.

Suck it, Branagh.
>>
>>68211622
>Having a top 100

l-l-look at me anons I'm totally not a faggot le reddit fedora man. My trilby is much more gentlemanly
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.