[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or is this kind of shit? Are all of Kurosawa's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 818X2DFWmJL._SL1500_.jpg (263 KB, 1207x1500) Image search: [Google]
818X2DFWmJL._SL1500_.jpg
263 KB, 1207x1500
Is it just me, or is this kind of shit? Are all of Kurosawa's movies like this?
>>
>>68200680
No one took your b8 with the Yojimbo thread m8 so give up anytime
>>
>>68200680
there have only been 2 great film adaptations of Shakespeare's plays I've seen; that's one of them and the same guy directed the other
>>
>>68200706
I didn't make a Yojimbo thread.

>>68200755
How many Shakespeare adaptations have you seen? You don't lie West Side Story? The Lion King?
>>
>>68200680
No, It's definitely mid-tier Kurosawa at best - the whole Noh take on the storyjust really bogged things down (that fucking ghost sequence felt like it went on for an hour). The woman playing Lady Macbeth was fucking stellar though and I thought she actually upstaged Mifune. You should still give his other stuff a chance.
>>
>>68200755
Chimes at Midnight is great. It's Orson Welle's Henry IV and V plays with original text but edited to focus on Falstaff as played by Welles.
>>
>>68200680
it's just you
>>
>>68201692
>The woman playing Lady Macbeth was fucking stellar though and I thought she actually upstaged Mifune
She was great, but I don't know about all of that.
I think the movie was mediocre (with very fucked audio), but Macbeth's death was beautiful.
>Washizu's famous death scene, in which his own archers turn upon him and fill his body with arrows, was in fact performed with real arrows, a choice made to help Mifune produce realistic facial expressions of fear.
>Toshiro Mifune’s death scene was the source of inspiration for Piper Laurie’s impalement death scene in Carrie.
>>
>>68201692
Also, what Kurosawa would you recommend next?
Kagemusha looks very interesting visually.
>>
>>68200755
Watch more Shakespeare flicks
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5MtUiYxBiY
absolute madman
>>
Shit would be a gross overstatement but I wasn't super into it either. That really sparse, over dramatic Japanese theater style it takes after is too much for me
>>
>>68200755

Have you watched Roman Polanski's Macbeth? Or Kenneth Branagh's Henry V? Orson Welle's Othello? Those are just a few favorites of mine that are definitely worth watching.
>>
>>68201943
Kagemusha is good, really fantastic visuals. I'd say try out High and Low, Yojimbo, or Seven Samurai next. The 3 and a half hour runtime on Seven Samurai is intimidating but it's so perfectly paced that it never once gets dull. Stray Dog is also a really fantastic one from earlier in his career that doesn't get enough love.
>>
>>68201547
I've seen enough adaptations to be cautious about seeing more - but Kurosawa's are more like reinventions or reimaginings of the plays
>>68201781
I loved him as Falstaff, but I only found a murky copy so I couldn't get into it as much as I'd have liked to
>>68201943
one of his top 5 for me
>>68202023
I'm reading him now - but any recommendations are welcome
>>
>>68202074
>Mifune said he had recurring dreams about the 21 arrows shooting towards him
>>
>>68202318
no to Polanski, yes to Branagh (didn't much like it), no to Welles and I'll definitely check that out
>>
>>68202511
Didn't Kuwosara only do King Lear and Macbeth?
>>
>>68201943
kagemusha is one of his worst movies and in all likelihood his most overrated

watch ikiru, dersu uzala, or ran next
>>
File: 4600448021085.jpg (78 KB, 500x735) Image search: [Google]
4600448021085.jpg
78 KB, 500x735
>>68200755
>>68202318

If you want one that's a little more out there, I would recommend Korol Lir, a Russian adaptation of King Lear. It actually reminds me somewhat of Throne of Blood since it's so atmospheric, bleak, and weird.
>>
why the japanese act like anime characters?
>>
Anyone ITT seen Madadayo? It was pretty weird. Comfy and occasionally pretty funny, but seemed kinda directionless at times. Mostly during the cat part.
>>
>>68202485
I've downloaded Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Kagemusha, The Hidden Fortress, and Rashomon.
Throne of Blood being the only one I've completed so far.
I've been staying away from Seven Samurai, because of the run time.
It took me an entire day to finish Sidney Lumet's Prince of the City.
I'm still debating on whether or not to watch Kenneth Bragnah's Hamlet.

>>68202573
I didn't even know Ikiru was by him, I meant to download it.
>>
>>68202699
Japanese people are real life anime characters.
>>
>>68202564
as far as I know, though The Bad Sleep Well apparently has some elements of Hamlet adapted
>>68202652
I'll check that out - anyone from that first wave of Soviet cinema that I've seen so far has had a unique eye
>>
>>68203370
>The Bad Sleep Well
Yeah, forgot that was him.
>>
File: yojimbo1024.jpg (137 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
yojimbo1024.jpg
137 KB, 1024x768
>>68200706
>>68201547
yojimbo is his best movie. even better than ikiru.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.