[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Lucas a poet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
Is Lucas a poet?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
He was undoubtedly familiar with the structure of Shakespeare's Henry V from way back...

He tends to write in Iambics, even though his actors don't always perform them that way.

He likes to meditate on thoughts, attitudes, processes. Fairly poetic structure.
>>
>>68188346

her delivery of that line was awful.
>>
>>68188346
I think you mean a potter.
>>
>>68188596
lol comparing it to Henry V is ridiculous. I mean you can argue that the political parts have parallels, but Shakespeare is actually witty and engaging at the same time
>>
>>68188598
she delivers the last part of it in Iambics.

>with THUN-der-OUS a-PPLAUSE
>>
>>68188780
I'm just comparing the OT with Henry V... Even the chapter titles on the DVD reference the 'turning of the tide'...
>>
>>68188780
>I mean you can argue that the political parts have parallels
You actually can't
>>
>>68188923
Shakespeare's plays and Lucas's movies, have this tendency to open with a political angle in order to frame the resulting conflict.

Episode I has one of the most shocking and transgressive openings in a movie... The Jedi are essentially theocratic rulers... with oversight of Trade!

Henry V opens with the clergy essentially demanding a war with France. It would be like the Jedi demanding a war on some planet they wanted to conquer. Two different mindsets are at work here, but they're close in structure.
>>
>>68189148
This is absurd reaching. They're similar because they both have openings that defy expectations?
>>
>>68188598
I remember cringing at that when i first saw rots
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollow_Men

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
>>68189264
I mean, Lucas uses a (fairly) political narrative as a foundation for a massive, rousing war, which is what Henry V does. I mean, that's basically it
>>
>>68189264
Not that anon here, but youre a fucking moron.
>>
>>68188346
>yfw it's social commentary on CURRENT YEAR America
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 253x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 253x599
>>68189264
I would argue that they're both best viewed as Five Act plays. Most people agree that the climax of The Phantom Menace occurred during the podrace. That's very Shakespearean, to have a climax in Act III of V.

A New Hope also climaxes when Luke rescues the Princess in the middle of the movie, everything after that is savouring.
>>
>>68188598
She probably delivered it fine a bunch of times. And then when Lucas was splicing footage together, he put two takes that had no business being in the same film together.
>>
>>68189417
PART time.
>>
>>68189362
Nearly every war narrative in history has a political foundation.
>>
>>68189417
When I watch the prequels and see some of the line delivery, I always feel like there must have been a better take than the one he ended up using. It's like you can see that the actor hasn't delivered it as well as they'd like. Maybe Lucas is incapable of judging performances
>>
>>68189387
Climax of ANH is the destruction of the Death Star, your idiot.
>>
>>68189493
>>68189493
Yeah true I worded that terribly. What I meant was their is a link in the use of a direct political action being seen on screen/stage leading to the battle later on. He balances the two elements the way Shakespeare does and brings them into the foreground. Most films about war and politics emphasise one or the other. Say what you will but he was fucking ambitious with the prequels
>>
>>68189372
Did you read the post I replied to? The similarities amount to political framings that initially defy audience expectations. That's it.
>>
>>68189548
There's a difference between a climax and an ending.

The emotional-physical climax which has been led up to is the rescue of the Princess.

The destruction of the Death Star is just a great technical feat, an emphatic Resolution.
>>
>>68189610
Shifting the narrative focus from war to politics and balancing the two isn't a sign of ambition. Again, this is fairly standard stuff. The reason it's nearly impossible to have stage production that's mostly focused on war alone is that theater isn't that visually engaging of a medium, so you can't really do action scenes like you can in film. Most plays about war balance the two, and so do many early war films.
>>
>>68189662
>There's a difference between a climax and an ending.
I completely agree. The trench run was still the climax. It was the entire narrative drive of the film.
>>
>>68189767
I'd like some film examples, mainly because I'm intrigued. I definitely haven't seen anything that interlaces the two like the prequels. I'm not saying they're good, by the way, but I think the political elements were interesting and had potential
>>
>>68189662
You're an idiot if you think that was the climax
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 428x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 428x640
>>68189849
You could argue that it was just an obligatory scene.. It depends on whether you see the decision to save the princess as a mistake or not..

You could argue that his decision to rescue Leia was a mistake and that saving her initiated a Tragedy. Then it's a straight-forward Act III, with Luke experiencing the frenzy of crime and the haunting of remorse.

In a Hollywood context Luke is a traditional hero, but in a classical context, Luke is a tragic hero.
>>
>>68189372
Not that anon here, but youre a fucking moron.
>>
>>68189849
Wasn't the entire narrative drive to rescue the princess? Destroying the Death Star was a side mission, if anything.
>>
>>68189905
The Battle of Algiers, Lawrence of Arabia, Paths of Glory, Munich, The Fellowship of the Ring (arguably), Downfall, the Soderbergh Che films, Kingdom of Heaven (arguably), The Red Badge of Courage.
>>
File: image.jpg (565 KB, 1652x1686) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
565 KB, 1652x1686
The ideal storyline for a Episode VIII would be to have Luke realise that Uncle Lars was right, and that he should never have rescued Leia.

He would expand on the fact that it felt wrong to him at the time and that time has proven his initial belief to have been correct. He should have stayed on the farm in Tatooine.
>>
>>68190738
*Uncle Owen was right
>>
>>68188598
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FFVWEQnSM
It's a lot worse than I expected.
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 599x555) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 599x555
So for example, half the audience is clapping when Anakin, Leia, FN and Rey are saved... but the other half of the audience is wondering whether these aren't really tragic mistakes.

That's a complication which can be explored to great effect.
>>
>>68188598
>but star wars ruined my career
>>
>>68191074
wxample of what? What are you talking about?
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 600x316
>Saving Princess Leia was a mistake, Rey. Can't you see that? I should have counted my losses and left well enough alone!

https://youtu.be/XNuRfUF4Ou0
>>
>>68189440
i love that
>>
>>68191013
God the cinematography is shit.

But it is a well written, well placed line. No doubt with inspiration from ancient Rome.
>>
>>68191013
Why did she sound like "the plan succeeded" when she said it?
>>
File: DFW14.png (440 KB, 652x466) Image search: [Google]
DFW14.png
440 KB, 652x466
>mfw someone is unironically comparing George Lucas, a hack director with a few surprise successes (due to the influence of other people), with William Shakespeare, the greatest writer in the English language
>>
File: George_Lucas.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
George_Lucas.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: ZhFzcfa.jpg (375 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
ZhFzcfa.jpg
375 KB, 1024x1365
>>68188346
>Your life would have been so much better if you had ignored /pol/ vehemently.
>>
>>68188346
more like autistic
>>
>>68197886
this is my favorite photograph of all time.
I dont know anything about photgraphy but i find the lines of their bodies and their distant gaze to be inspiring and hopeful
>>
>>68188346

No, but he's a masterful potter.
>>
>>68197886
>>68198801

>Good it smells, your hair does.
>>
File: 2141614616.jpg (68 KB, 1238x587) Image search: [Google]
2141614616.jpg
68 KB, 1238x587
>>
>>68198801
mark's drunk and daisy has obvious anal after-glow
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.