[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up with Americans being so obsessed with their lawns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 10
File: muh lawn.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
muh lawn.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
What's up with Americans being so obsessed with their lawns in movies and tv shows?
>>
>>68187865
freedom
>>
It gives them a sense of security and the concept that they 'own' something.
>>
>>68187884
But I let my local beaner do it for me.
>>
>>68187884
>>68187891
Americans are pathetic
>>
>>68187865
Harrison cannot handle someone else fucking with his lawn. Alpha type shit. You wouldn't understand
>>
>>68187865
it was a metaphor
>>
>>68187865

tv shows europeans will never understand?
>>
File: YbU2P8W.jpg (44 KB, 650x504) Image search: [Google]
YbU2P8W.jpg
44 KB, 650x504
>>68187865
you would never understand
>>
>>68187921
>Alpha type
Oh man you dont know how hard you will cringe once you grow up and realize at some point of your life you propagated this
>>
>>68187865
It's like their own personal park. Yuros wouldn't understand because they have to share parks with nudists, dogs, and troubled youth.
>>
Was he talking about his wife's bush?
>>
>>68187992
Cool story
>>
according to penn and teller it's something to do with scottish heritage
>>
You dont just let another man mow your lawn.

In the dog world it would be like if some random ass dog nigga came up and pissed on your fire hydrant.
>>
File: 1457755751310.jpg (37 KB, 316x533) Image search: [Google]
1457755751310.jpg
37 KB, 316x533
>>68187992

why dont you go write a blog about it beta bitch
>>
>not having your own slice of america

enjoy your syringe and bum infested public spaces eurofag
>>
>>68188234
Who the fuck is this guy
>>
File: anglothing.jpg (50 KB, 634x423) Image search: [Google]
anglothing.jpg
50 KB, 634x423
Pretty sure it is an anglo thing in general because Brits also love their lawn.
Strayans and Leafs don't count because it is either desert or Tundra where they live.
>>
>>68188336
how do you make the grass look like that? The pattern, I mean
>>
File: 1458005993922.png (750 KB, 572x714) Image search: [Google]
1458005993922.png
750 KB, 572x714
>>68188264

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
>>
certain American communities in the 50s and 60s had stringent rules about lawn-care and would antagonise people who didn't adhere to them
>>
File: 1408042553116.jpg (255 KB, 750x487) Image search: [Google]
1408042553116.jpg
255 KB, 750x487
>>68187865

German cultural imperialism desu
>>
>>68188388
Irish blood
>>
>>68188388
You mow up
and then down
and then up
and then down
>>
>>68187992
Toxic masculinity amirite
>>
>>68187891
Funny enough most people don't have lawn, or houses for that matter.
So memes aside, americans DO own something.
>>
>>68188388

just mow each row up and down

the effect comes from the grass being pushed in a different direction, like carpet.
>>
>>68187865
>ITT: too europoor to know what it's like owning your own lawn
>>
>>68188388
Autism. So basically >>68188418
Also by mowing up and down the grass will bend in the two different directions. It will look normal again after one day or so.
>>
>>68187865
Marty took issue with Rust mowing his lawn because it felt like an invasion of privacy. He also didn't like Rust coming around his house when he wasn't there.

He was also completely right btw
>>
>>68188408
It's still like that today in many areas
>>
>>68187865
We actually have lawns and land. We don't live in tiny yurocuck closets.
>>
>>68188507
/thread
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>68187921
>Alpha type shit
>>
>>68188264
He's some retarded guy from some anti-trump demonstration. He has a "knowyourmeme" page. Google.
>>
they have open front yards, just for show, so they sacrifice privacy in order to "impress" their neighbours with a well mantained lawn
>>
>>68187865
>>>68183870
>>>68182834
>>>68188337

Whys is all this american cancer on the front page? I thought they hired janitors?
>>
>>68187865
Because it's nice. It smells nice, and you're landscaping something that will look nice for you and other people. It's cathartic.
>>
I used to have a summer job cutting grass and it was the best job I ever had
>>
>>68188551
you mean your mom and mother's husband own land
>>
>>68187865
its a metaphor for fucking his wife, his dick is the lawnmower, the lawn is her pussy
>>
>>68188611
What do you expect from people doing it for no monies.
>>
>>68187921
more like, insecure type thing.
>>
The fuck you talking about OP, you faggot. I'm Dutch and I fucking love my Lawn. No other man can ever thouch my ground. Having other man thouching your lawn is like having other men fucking your wife.
>>
Americans are an extremely superficial race of people. Outside appearances such as a nice lawn are important
>>
>>68188388
You plant two types of grass in strips - one's obviously a lighter shade and the other one is darker.
>>
>>68188930
Go back to Dutchmania
>>
>>68188930
so you like it, DutchCuck
>>
>>68189030
>>68189012
Kanker! You guys are too poor to have a lawn. Or you guys are from the shitty eastern part of Europe.
>>
>>68189123
why having a lawn when you can have vines, walnut trees, fig trees etc
>>
>>68188611
>Whys is all this american cancer on the front page?
It's cancer research by non-americans
>>
>>68188794
Sadly this^

>captcha: select all images with grass
Even captcha knows
>>
File: sa323.jpg (110 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
sa323.jpg
110 KB, 720x540
>>68188996

>not being a savage makes you superficial

literally everyone in america with a shitty lawn is a piece of shit.

i guess you see no difference in spending your leisure time on this and on a well manicured lawn.
>>
>>68188996
Are you kidding me?

You either live in a shithole, or your neighbors think you're a scumbag.

Probably both
>>
>>68189550
>literally everyone in america with a shitty lawn is a piece of shit.
9 times out of 10 this statement is true
>>
>>68188507
>>68188561
Exactly. This board is seriously full of retards. Had nothing to do with his actual lawn. Rust was also getting cozy w his wife & had a dirty tank top on in his kitchen.
>>
File: Lawn-Paint-Pros-CA.jpg (164 KB, 900x605) Image search: [Google]
Lawn-Paint-Pros-CA.jpg
164 KB, 900x605
>>68189550
you can always paint your lawn right? fake it till you make it
>>
>>68189671

it's impossible to make it unless you fake it. how can you possibly become truly great at something without being deluded about your potential in the beginning?
>>
>>68189586
I live in a nice neighbourhood and I know my neighbours too well to believe that. Nice strawman though
>>
>>68188234
Hi underage
>>
>>68189765

no one ever claimed that you can't be a scumbag if you have a nice lawn. it's just that a terrible lawn is indicative of debauchery.
>>
>>68189752
>cringe
>>
>>68187865
Part of the culture.

Whether you own the land or are just living on it, it's your responsibility to keep it manicured to a certain standard.

Taking care of your yard shows respect for your land, your neighbors, and your neighborhood. It shows that you aren't some lazy piece of shit that only cares about yourself and that you take pride in yourself and the things you spend money on (in this specific case, the land you either own or rent).

I love taking care of my yard and it shows. I feel lucky to live on a street where my neighbors feel the same way.

My wife's brother is a fine example of someone that "doesn't get it." He is lazy, unmotivated, has little respect for himself and his belongings. He also lives with his mother, rent free, and has no other bills because his mom pays for everything.

One day he thought it would be a good idea to have someone come cut my lawn without consulting me. Luckily I got home right when these guys were about to start and politely told them that I was the homeowner and that I would take care of the yard. When the foreman of the crew learned that I was never consulted he instantly knew how fucked up it was for my brother-in-law to do that. The foreman offered an apology and I told him there was no need.

You know my idiot brother-in-law thought I was wrong. Can you believe that shit? He had the fucking balls to get mad at me for it and argued with me about it. This happened two years ago and every chance that little cunt gets he tries to start it up again. A month ago he sends me a link to a website for a company that makes an automated lawnmower. Like I want a fucking roomba for my lawn.

What's his motivation you ask? He wants me to play fucking battlefield and gtav with him on the weekends. If not that, he wants me to come to his place and watch capeshit with him while he says shit like "OH WATCH THIS!" "THIS PART IS GOOD......WATCH.......WAIT IT'S COMING......HANG ON.......OOOOHHHH DID YOU SEE THAT?!?! LOLOLOLOL!"
>>
>>68190268
A pleb in the family
>>
>>68189765
>I know my neighbours too well to believe that.
if you think like that you have bigger problems than your lawn anon. Seriously, if you're in a relationship, you're probably being cheated on.

Don't ever think you "know" anybody, because I guarantee that you don't.

>strawman
Those pills you take every day might look red to you but they aren't, they're blue anon. I'm genuinely concerned for you.
>>
>>68190364
He's like the pleb overlord
>>
>>68189550
>>68189671
>>68189867

DELETE THESE!
>>
>>68188264
how new
>>
>>68190268

jesus i can't even imagine how insufferable you must be in real life. I mean your brother in law sounds like a loser but god damn, were you trying to make yourself out to be 10x worse? Because you did.
>>
>>68187865
why on earth would anyone even bother with "mowing their lawn"

what the fuck is wrong with americans? such a goddamned meme country
>>
>>68188730
me too, pham. shame it it isn't an acceptable career in today's society
>>
>>68190268
so i take it your brother-in-law is an avid /tv/ poster?
>>
>>68190931

He's Hank Hill IRL

Maintaining your house and keeping it clean is one thing but having a lawn just so you can mow it is one of those things that absolutely fucking baffles me. It's not a garden where you can grow vegetables, fruit trees, and other productive plants but only grass and flowers. The fact that so many houses in the US have lawns completely puts me off to becoming a home owner.
>>
>>68187917
what country are you from
>>
>he needs a lawn to give him a sense of obligation
>he's too inept to get an actual garden where he grows his own produce like a true alpha

lol
>>
Mowing the lawn has literally become another way for married men to get away from their wives. Neighbor of mine literally cuts like 7 lawns for free because his wife is an annoying cunt.
>>
>>68190931
>jesus i can't even imagine how insufferable you must be in real life. I mean your brother in law sounds like a loser but god damn, were you trying to make yourself out to be 10x worse? Because you did.
>insufferable
Not at all to be honest.
>10xworse
Feel free to elaborate

>>68191420
>so i take it your brother-in-law is an avid /tv/ poster
Nope, reddit. I'm not kidding

>>68191528
That's some excellent trolling friend
>>
>>68192542

>Implying I'm trolling

You've devoted yourself to a useless unproductive hobby on par with gaming and nothing will change that fact.
>>
It's a metaphor of cuckoldry.
>>
>>68190963

It's exercise for them, and inhaling cut grass fumes counts as eating a vegetable in America.
>>
>>68191296
Landscaping is a fine job and you get a degree in turf management or anything like that expect to get a decent check for groundskeeping.
>>
>>68188539
>muh property value
If some people have an unkempt lawn, it could lower the property value of other homes in the neighborhood. Many people don't want to buy a house in a weedy area.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/RIESEL-Warrant-Issued-For-75-Year-Old-Woman-306730591.html
Some woman didn't mow her lawn in Texas, so the law got involved.
>>
>>68187865

Most decent non-crime ridden ghetto tier cities/communities have ordinances about just letting your lawn turn into a pile of shit and grow up everywhere.

That's not to say having to water it/landscape it and all that shit but you gotta keep that shit mowed once a week at a minimum.
>>
I live in an apartment right now and dont have a lawn to mow at the moment. But when I get my own place I will keep my lawn looking nice. Its all about having pride in the stuff you own. A house should look nice outside and in, dont live like a scrub.
>>
>>68187865
Disposable income, something americans have that you cucklords in europe don't and think you do.
>>
>>68192705
>Implying I'm trolling
Baiting the bait eh? Ok i'll bite twice then.

>>68191528
>He's Hank Hill IRL
>Maintaining your house and keeping it clean is one thing but having a lawn just so you can mow it is one of those things that absolutely fucking baffles me.
>having a lawn just so you can mow it
You realize that the lawn came with the house right? When I bought my house there wasn't a box to check yes or no in regards to having a lawn. I'm curious what country you come from where you do get the option to add or remove a lawn during the house purchasing process. A benefit to having a well manicured lawn is being able to enjoy it. I spend a lot of time outside with my family. Can we both agree that a well manicured yard is more enjoyable than an unkempt, weed-ridden yard? If we can't, that's ok but again i'm left wondering what magical country you hail from where people have risen above such things.

>It's not a garden where you can grow vegetables, fruit trees, and other productive plants but only grass and flowers.
I understand, but I have two flower gardens and I grow fruits and vegetables. Should I let my lawn grow uncontrolled and keep the gardens well manicured? Is this another part of your advanced culture? Beautiful gardens surrounded by wild, untamed land?

>The fact that so many houses in the US have lawns completely puts me off to becoming a home owner.
Again, you don't have an option when purchasing a house that already has a lawn. Some day you may encounter this and I hope you remember this interaction- shit, I forgot you came from a higher-rated country that offers its citizens the option to have a lawn. My apologies.

>>68192705
>You've devoted yourself to a useless unproductive hobby on par with gaming and nothing will change that fact.
>hobby
I guess by definition it would be considered a hobby, and I do find it pleasurable and relaxing, but I consider it necessary maintenance.
>>
>>68192705
>on par with gaming and nothing will change that fact
I don't care how advanced your leading-edge country is, thinking that yard maintenance is on par with gaming is ridiculous and you should be embarrassed. Unless you're a child, that is unacceptable and you personally are bringing down your people. This statement confirms for me that you're underage and are violating 4chan's rules. I understand that as a child you may not see the benefit of bathing regularly or maintaining your own personal hygiene, but as you grow up you'll learn the benefit of these activities. I'm guessing that your disagreement with me is stemming from being told repeatedly to take showers and brush your teeth. I get it, growing up is hard, but these things are important and the people suggesting these things are trying to help you.

Seriously delicious bait, would bite again.
>>
After reading this thread I understand why the average euroho is hairy as fuck.
>>
>>68190963
If it gets over a certain height, the city will mow it for you and send you the bill. I wish there was a way to make grow slower.
>>
Dumbasses, his anger had nothing to do with the lawn. It was emasculating to Marty for another man to take responsibility for something that was his.
>>
>>68188388
There's an attachment for riding mowers that looks like a barrel that rolls along behind your mower that flattens down the grass in the direction you're moving, thus leaving the pattern as you go up and down. Checkerboard effect is done the same way, just on the X and Y axis. Also fescue grasses are the best for this.
>>
>>68195319
This^ and in many cases they will charge a ridiculous amount of money.
>>
>>68188388
You just mow in stripes. The hardest part is keeping it straight, I find it's best to fix your gaze on a stationary object (like a fence post or a tree) and home in on it. Rinse and repeat. Works with push mowers, walk behind and riding mowers.

t. professional Mexican (even tho I'm actually white)
>>
>>68187865
Specific to True Detective? It was a fucking metaphor. No one would ever have a ridiculous conversation like this IRL. Try to keep up

>Why do Americans care about their lawn in general?
Lawns are a big deal in some places because its a reflection of the man who owns it. The husband or man of the house is supposed to take care of the lawn, change his own oil, fix his own car, chop his own firewood. If you hire someone to do that stuff, you're lazy or incompetent. You would appear to be a dainty faggot or a pussy, i.e. afraid of a little REAL MAN WORK. See: gender roles.

...of course, Yuros live in 20 square meter attached homes with 3 other people and a 1 m^2 tree box in front if they're lucky, so all of this is completely alien to them.
>>
>>68195407
This. It didn't help that it was rust,who he found both annoyingly self-righteous and creepy.
>>
>>68195407
>>68195874
I tried to write someone long and drawn out, and then I saw this which sums it up perfectly.

>>68187921
This guy gets it also
>>
Imagine it this way. Everyone expects you to take care of your house and make everything look nice and orderly. It is after all likely your most valuable possession. Now you spend all this time and money to keep it nice trimmed and healthy and you even put chemicals in it that will probably give you and your family cancer over 20 years to make it look greener. Then you get some fucker arrogant enough to step on your work and money without even fucking asking.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.