[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any movies or series about an evil corporation, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: vlcsnap-2015-04-26-21h04m38s50.png (177 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-04-26-21h04m38s50.png
177 KB, 624x352
Are there any movies or series about an evil corporation, but from the perspective of the boss?

Maybe a rise to the top, a conflict between rival companies, involvement in political corruption, etc.
Basically House of Cards but with money instead of power.

What comes to mind?
>>
>>68173991
Wouldn't the ones about a villian's rise to power qualify?

I guess that's what you're looking for. I can't think of anything that's not a single TV episode though.

Maybe Breaking Bad counts?
>>
There's a Bernie Murdoch show
>>
if you want rivaley between companies then Suits seems fit thats , but if you want perspective of the boss then there is BOSS but i don't think there is anything else
>>
Wolf of wall street

Kind of spiderman 3
>>
File: manfucksand.jpg (309 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
manfucksand.jpg
309 KB, 1200x600
>>
Wolf of Wall Street, Margin Call
>>
The Social Network :^)
>>
>>68174762
i c wt u dd thr
>>
>>68173171
House of Lies maybe a little but not really.
Does Mad Men have a corporate part of the story?

Can't think of anything else.
>>
>>68173171

This could be done in a Breaking Bad manner and it'll probably be made in the coming years.

>nice little college graduate working for to earn his due
>starts to enjoy the game bit too much after some success
>becomes the epitome of evil corporate capitalism fucking everyone and everything over to protect his inner circle and contacs
>the world burns
>>
Billions
>>
>>68174267
It's often done so vaguely that their power base could be medieval serfs or a cotton candy franchise for all the audience knows.

Gustavo Fring is an excellent example of a corporate villain, but not central. A Lydia-type character would also be excellent.

Walt only really takes over a small pest control business, he employs something like five people directly; the rest are allied gangs. I'm imagining a villain at the center of a large organisation.

>>68174323
Madoff, you mean. (Same diff, anyway.)
I'll check it out.
>>
>>68173171
Billions
>>
The Wire?
>>
>>68173171
Profit maybe
>>
>>68175076
I think the I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS speech pretty much establishes that Walt is an empire. All the other cogs don't matter, they are replaceable. Walt isn't. And Walt produces and earns so much that everyone bowed down to his whims, also because of the shit he's pulled to stay alive and more importantly, in power.

Saying that Walt only controls the pest control business is like saying that Fisk only controls Wesley and Wesley was the true head of the empire. That's clearly not the case, and nobody would actually agree with that.

>>68175149
Stringer and the Avon were already in power when the show started. And that dumb kid in the last season was already his own power player.

The Wire wasn't really about the rise to power, it was about the game and the chase. Well I guess you could argue about it being the case on the law side but the only people who came out ahead were Carcetti and friends and they were only a secondary plot. The show's producers always made the show about bringing major particular issues to light and then bringing it down. War on drugs, shitty school systems, death of journalism, etc.
>>
>>68175318
Walt is powerful, but does not manage large numbers of people on a long term basis.

And he's still the main producer of his own product - railroad millionaires didn't do their own hammering. Apples and oranges, but delegation is a very basic aspect of running a large business.
>>
>>68175414
>And he's still the main producer of his own product - railroad millionaires didn't do their own hammering.
That is such a bad comparison, and a bad way of handwaving away Walt's role in his empire at the end.

Walt produced millions of dollars' worth of meth in one cook.

Plenty of heads of multi-million dollar companies do work, the work just changes based on job description. Usually drug operations were about the kingpins sitting back and enslaving cooks to do their work for them sure, and the cartel tried that with Walt and Jesse but the two clearly didn't like that arrangement. CEOs at big corporations aren't in the business of doing the hammering, they're in the business of selling hammering contracts, slight difference. Walt was in the business of cooking the meth and then selling it to Lydia. He was manufacturing and sales at the same time.

Walt is the main producer of his own product because he wanted it that way, and because it gave him all the power. It's the most important aspect of his business. Anybody could get meth for cheaper but Walt's was the ultimate perfection and addicts wanted nothing less. Even addicts cared about the quality (see: Coke). The cook was so valuable that the Neo-Nazis orphaned a child and kept Jesse locked up as a prisoner in a hole in the ground. They couldn't do shit without him. The enslaving thing only works when you have guns pointed at people, not on an equal negotiation footing. Walt had that footing, he worked and got himself that footing. Jesse did not.

Saying Walt wasn't at the helm, at the top of his empire at the end is just wrong.
>>
>>68175980
Sure. That guy was the same thing as Krupp AG. He was a corporation. He was also a petting zoo.

Thinking of asking about war films next. Will you be there to remind me that Walter White was an army?
>>
Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room
>>
>>68176145
...And I'd remind you that both the Mexicans and Gustavo Fring employed cooks (plural) and had them under control.

They even gave their thugs guns, even though the thugs could take a shot at them! What a wild ride this employment concept is.
>>
Better Off Ted
>>
Boiler Room
>>
The Office
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.