[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are computers in movies and television so loud with fake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: skyfall-interfaces.jpg (36 KB, 620x368) Image search: [Google]
skyfall-interfaces.jpg
36 KB, 620x368
Why are computers in movies and television so loud with fake beeps and boops? Everyone knows they don't do that.

And why are the OS so overly cluttered and blindingly animated with useless bling?

Can't take that shit seriously.

>eg covert spy goes in to hack a computer with his loud and obnoxious cellphone
>>
>>68163125
Hollywood willfully fucks technology up because of dramatic reasons. That's the whole reason why the "It's a Unix system, I know this!" scene and pretty much all of CSI or Scorpion exist: Technology doesn't need to be portrayed accurately, it just needs to paint a broad enough picture so that the audience gets that this is a literal plot device.

It's why I liked what I saw of Mr. Robot: their technobabble actually had some basis in reality, even if the way they chose to explain it was stupid (You work at a computer security company, how do you not know what a fucking DDoS is)
>>
>>68163125
Same reason gun sound effects are so shit
>>
I spend 15 of my 16 waking hours every day in front of at least one computer, and usually several. You're probably not all that different, anon. And so it's difficult for both of us to understand that the average person doesn't know anything about computers, except possibly what Microsoft or Apple shows them with their overly cluttered and blindingly animated with useless bling OS offerings.
>>
Average computers, yeah. But not SUPER SECRET SPY AGENCY COMPUTERS
>>
If computers were portrayed accurately, they'd have sexy animu wallpapers on them and 007 is now a comedy.
>>
Because computers are boring as fuck if you don't know anything about them.
>>
File: 3d not needed.gif (2 MB, 370x256) Image search: [Google]
3d not needed.gif
2 MB, 370x256
>>68167197
>>
As the general audience grows more accustomed with technology we will see computer shit look more like computer shit.
>>
I would hate to be a sound person in the film industry (or worse, a foley artist). Your entire career is based on adding deliberate errors and mistakes to a film to make the studio happy.

Light is shining on a sword edge
>add a sound of a crystal wine glass being rubbedm or subtle crystal chimes
>"the sound of sharpness"

Sword is drawn from a leather back scabbard (modern heroes all carry their sword on their backs now)
>metal dragging on metal noise followed by a "Shing"

A handgun is pointing at someone
>CLACK CLACK.... CLACK!

Kids playing a modem game console FPS
>sounds from a 1982 arcade

jungle scene:
>KOOKABURRA! The australian bird call that all americans associate withe the jungle because of hollywood

Mountain scene, canyon scene or show a bald eagle flying overhead
>red tailed hawk cry

Most people don't even know what eagles sound like because of hollywoods deliberate tampering with reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlq2kcYQcLc
>>
>>68163125
because a simple text CLI is boring as fuck
>>
>>68163125
He probably riced it for months
>>
File: 1459058245992.jpg (106 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
1459058245992.jpg
106 KB, 384x384
>>68167956
>a fucking seagull
>>
>>68167956
car turns on a dirt road
>tires squeal

somebody is electrocuted or we just see a live wire
>sizzle buzz sizzle buzz

The world is fucking loud on TV and in movies.
>>
Nagios alerts are not dramatic enough.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.