[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think Jared Leto will compare? Do you think people will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 11
File: le joker.jpg (189 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
le joker.jpg
189 KB, 600x450
Do you think Jared Leto will compare?

Do you think people will even be able to judge this objectively with Heath Ledger's portrayal still so fresh in their minds? Winning an academy award posthumously and generally recognized as the man who transformed the Nolan Batman trilogy from just another dark superhero movie to the icon it has become?
>>
>Leto has "DAMAGED" tattooed across his forehead

There won't even be a comparison to Ledger.
>>
>>68133517
Really wish he hadn't died. His accomplishments are vastly overrated because of his death.
>>
leto joker was the worst part of the new trailer
>>
>>68133517

DUDE MOMS GOING TO FREAK LOL

>am I fitting in guys??
>>
>>68133517

Depends how much respect you've got for sympathy Oscars.
>>
They're completely different iterations of the character. Its pointless to compare them, yet autists and normies alike still do.
>>
Already looks better than Hobo Joker just off the trailers
>>
>>68133591
This. His performance and subsequent oscar were rendered critic proof by death.

Leto no competo unless he finito.
>>
>>68133517
He'll definitely be more closely linked to what the Joker as a character was than what Ledger put together.

Ledgers Joker was a good character, but a laughably bad Joker
>>
There's no way. He'll do his "version" that he deep down convinces himself isn't legder-lite and sure the kids will like it but it wont be as good. Just the fucking inflection and breaks when heath talked is someing leto cant do.
>>
>>68133517
>fresh
The main audience of capeshit movies are middle teens. TDK was 8 years ago now. They probably haven't even seen TDK or know who Heath Ledger was.
>>
>>68133614
It's not like the other nominees for the award that year were that spectacular. He might not have won it if he didn't die but it's not impossible that he would have.
>>
>>68133591
bullshit, i didn't even know he died until months after the movie came out. still loved the shit outta his performance.
>>
>>68133517
>Do you think Jared Leto will compare?
you can't compare diferent versions of a character on unrelated movies... so no.

>Do you think people will even be able to judge this objectively with Heath Ledger's portrayal still so fresh in their minds?
No.

>Winning an academy award posthumously and generally recognized as the man who transformed the Nolan Batman trilogy from just another dark superhero movie to the icon it has become?
Oscars are bullshit...
Nolan's trilogy almost ruined capeshit movies
nolan's joker is cool... but isn't comic joker... if we think like that Romero's or Nicolson's are superior jokers... just saying
>>
I don't mind Leto being the joker but WHY the goddamn tats? It's really off putting.
>>
>>68133517
lol fuck off, most of the audience won't even have been born when TDK was released
>>
>>68134444
checked
>>
>>68133649
this tb͏h fa͏m
>>
>>68133699
>there is no way watching movies after theater releases
You are fucking dumb

Then kids or wharever should know batman cause bvs is only movie that has him
>>
>>68134444
>>
>>68134497
hol up, is the wordfilter gone
>>
>>68134399
>Nolan's trilogy almost ruined capeshit movies

Nigga wat? Nolans Batman is the only capeshit, that isn't capeSHIT out there. Everything after Spiderman 2 was shit, except Batman (and maybe the main X-Men movies).
>>
>>68133517
No.
Because Suicide Squad isn't about Batman vs Joker.
>>
>>68133517
>ledger's portrayal fresh in their minds
>that movie came out 8 years ago
>>
>>68133517
I'm a bit pessimistic when it comes to Suicide Squad. I'm not too fond of the tattoos and grill on Joker and Harley.
Who knows?....maybe Leto will raise the bar for the role. But the rabid viral marketing isn't doing him any favors besides getting the gullible "edgy teens" on board.

Granted, the Heat's version was a little edgy, but they didn't have to overdo it in the looks department to make it happen. Just some smeared make-up and tacky suit did the trick.
It was ultimately Heat's spin on Joker's personality and mannerisms that brought it home.

Just hope SS isn't relying on looks alone.
>>
>>68133640
oh you mean like bale & affleck you asshat? yet everyone compares?
>>
>>68133614
No, it really doesn't. Whether or not he won the award, Leto will have a very hard time matching Ledger's performance.
>>
>literal Hot Topic forced memery vs one of the better, if not best, villain performances in the history of capeshit
Is this a serious thread?
>>
>>68133517
hell be ok, hes a good actor
>>
>>68134838
Good actors appear in bad films and give bad performances every once in a while.
>>
File: deal01.png (248 KB, 345x422) Image search: [Google]
deal01.png
248 KB, 345x422
>>68134521
>>Nolans Batman is the only capeshit, that isn't capeSHIT out there
my point... capeshit movies shouldn't be realistic... only BB is good B:TDK and B:TDKR are bullshit.
>>
I love how the Joker has devolved from a diabolical clown prince of crime to a Nihilistic Trickster figure to a garden variety Hot Topic sporting psychopath.
>>
LIGHTS CAMERA INSANITY!!!!
>>
>>68135061

ok well you're the only one with that abortion of an opinion
>>
>>68135674
come on dude... B:TDK is cool, joker is cool... but nothing make scence... TDKR is the biggest bullshit ever...
>>
>>68135104
The first two you mentioned came from the comics.
Not sure who's brainchild the third one is.
>>
>>68133591
Nice meme. Ledger steals the show whenever he is on screen. Every great scene in that movie is cause of him.
>>
>>68135871
The third is an alusion to Leto.
>>
>>68133517
>Batman fights crime in Gotham
>Joker randomly shows up and wants to "kill the Bat."

What made the Joker special in the comics and every other form of media is that Batman created the Joker through an accident. The origins have been altered here and there but he is supposed to be responsible for creating the Joker. Nolan completely ignored this aspect of their relationship so Ledgers Joker had absolutely no meaning. There was no motivation or connection between Batman and The Joker at all in The Dark Knight. They had no history.Just a crazy guy that was drawn to Gotham because of a guy that dresses like a Bat. Heath Ledger played a great villain. He just wasn't The Joker. I haven't seen Letos' version and I already like it more.
>>
>>68137129
>Batman created the Joker
>But not in TDK
Like you yourself said, he was drawn to Batman. Batman DID create him, like creating FemmeRobin in DKR, a person inspired by the net or as DKR puts it "drawn into Batman's psycho-sexual web."
I'm sorry this went over your head, maybe a tub of acid would be better to you?
>>
>>68133517
Nah, people will find it "distasteful" to even compare the two. Leto never had a chance unless he croaks too.
>>
>>68137129
> Heath Ledger played a great villain. He just wasn't The Joker
This. Despite the appearance, "Joker" was very rational, had a well thought plan and clear motives that made sense. He was more of a Riddler really.
>>
>>68134444
>4444
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 1536x1536
>>
>>68137367
I've heard that before and it's a piss poor argument. That he created any villain by proxy. No, a line needs to be drawn when responsibility is concerned. The guys that shot Thomas and Martha had a hand in creating Batman. To say Batman fighting crime inadvertently created more crime is just circular reasoning. No, Batman's and Jokers relationship is directly connected, not indirectly. In that case Batman created everyone that commits a crime in Gotham. That's ridiculous.
>>
>>68137598
tell that to Kanjiklub
>>
>>68133663
So what you're trying to say is that The Joker is a bad character.
>>
Ledger was okay, but mom didn't even freak.
>>
>>68133600
Three trailers and I have no idea what the fuck they are suppossed to be doing.
This obsession with not getting spoilers is fucking retarded.
>>
>>68137535
>Wanna know how I got these scars?
>Dent is at one location, Rachel is at another...
>There's two bombs, one on each boat...

Yeah, Ledger wasn't the Joker. If anything he was the Riddler pretending to be the Joker. Maybe that was a riddle?
>>
>>68134520
THIS DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA DESU SENPAI BAKA
>>
>>68137679
>reading comprehension
He said that Ledger was a good villain,but nothing like the Joker. That doesn't imply anything about Joker himself.
>>
>>68137679
Comics Joker is nothing like Ledge Joker, that's what he was saying.
>>
>>68137621
Given the fact that his origin remained unexplained, are you certain that he (Bats) in fact did not "create" the Joker?
>>
>>68137679
Ledgers Joker was nothing like the Joker. Do you even comic-lore?
>>
>>68133517
I wish they had kept the black eyeshadow. I thought it looked really good
>>
>>68137621
>Batman is in no way indirectly to blame for inspiring super criminals to attack and target gotham
Dude, it's been a central theme of Batman's mythos since the 80's. Batman is indirectly to blame for some criminals and directly to blame for others. Even his inaction led to Red Hood. You don't know Batman.
>>
>>68137811
He meant that if you consider someone who was supposed to be playing the Joker being liked a lot more than if he had actually played the Joker means that his acting outstayed the actual character he was supposed to play.

TL;DR he thinks you're saying Ledger created a character that was better than the Joker.
>>
>>68133663

TDK Joker was more the Riddler at his most fucked up. The green hair, the Rachel/Dent switch and the whole trying to prove Batman wrong thing is literally the only thing is the only thing that was Joker-like in the film.
>>
File: 1227717687438507043.png (430 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1227717687438507043.png
430 KB, 636x358
>>68137743
You're so right! After all, there really has only been one version of the Joker after all these years... they should not have tried their own take on the character.
>>
>>68138055
All of those except Ledger were actually Comics Joker.
>>
>>68138090
Look again.
>>
>>68137621
>Batman doesn't create crime
Criminals in Gotham want to get ahead by killing him, upping their game as they go. If you think Batman doesn't inspire more crime, you're an idiot.
>>
>>68137956
Everytime I hear this it turns out the person saying it just got into said subject themselves like yesterday...
>>
>>68133517
They're different characters.
>>
>>68134399
>isn't comic joker
I tend to agree that TDK Joker is overrated, but the argument that he's not like in the comics is rather weak. I know of no other character that is portrayed as inconsistently in comics as Joker. Hell, during Morrison's run at Batman it was said that he reconstructed his personality every day because he was incapable of handling reality, so every time he showed up he was intentionally portrayed completely different from the last time.
>>
>>68133517
will leto's joker be featured in 61+ million views videos like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiji_1iosv4
>>
>>68138199
What nonsense is this?
>>
Leto's voice in the trailers sounds almost like Ledger's impersonation already.

Leto's Joker will be a failure of Eisenberg's Lex proportions...
>>
>>68138282
The question being how can you tell the difference between the two?
>>
>>68134724
People do. The general consensus seems to be that Affleck is a much better Bruce Wayne. Bale's Wayne mostly came off as an asshole and little more than a vessel for the Bat while Affleck plays an actual character.
>>
File: sdfsdf.png (176 KB, 352x377) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdf.png
176 KB, 352x377
>>68137707
so you want to get spoiled in a trailer...? you watched ALL three trailers?
>>
>>68138330
>Affleck plays an actual character

You mean his typical wooden acting happens to work in a role where he plays a super jaded, moody, nigh-emotionless dick? Yeah, I guess.
>>
>>68138330
DC called. They said given the tanking status of BvS, your services will no longer be required.
>>
>>68138675
I don't even like the movie. I thought it was boring as shit.
>>
>>68133591
he died a hero, shining, rather than living long enough to become the villain
>>
I was watching Panic Room again and I don't understand why are people saying that Leto is copying Ledger.
He already acted that way before Ledger made the Riddler in TDK, and that's Leto's crazy voice.

And Ledger wasn't even a good Joker, his character was not even Joker. It was a try-hard le-fight-club edgy fuck.
As someone who grew up watching BAS, Ledger was a garbage Joker.
>>
>>68138320
Maybe Joker is going to be a genius self-made billionaire who views Batman as an obstacle to human progress in the DCCU, who knows what these retards will come up with
>>
>>68138147
Not quite the diehard, but I've collected nearly every major Batman/Iron Man/Superman/Xmen graphic novel/major story line since 2009. Ledgers Joker isn't closely linked to any Joker I've read. Well, except maybe Morrison Joker at his most edgy from the RIP arc, but even then, it's a tiny comparison at best.
>>
>>68138898
well memed
>>
>>68139017
implying that Leto is not the epitome of edgelord
>>
>>68133591

I have a feeling that TDK would have been more closely linked to BB had Ledger not died.

Something like BB 70, TDK 65, TDKR 55
>>
>>68139204
>linked to BB on Metacritic
Completely forgot my chain of thought there
>>
>>68139116
>>68139116
nah joker and the bat are gonna be set up as a yin and yang type deal - rich and powerful but on opposite moral spectrums. they'll have near equal screen time bar jokers scenes with harley which show why she loved him so much but they'll be influencing how the villains act when rebelling against what the goverment is telling them to do.

screencap this is the meme, but this is what'll happen
>>
>>68138368
Old trailers gave you the entire plot without giving away the development and BvS spoiled fucking Doomsday. I don't know why they need a Suicide Squad™ after 3 trailers.
What's your point?
>>
>>68137679
this desu.

people keep mentioning that heath's joker wasn't the 'real' joker as if that means anything. Comic book joker is ok but if we're leaning in a more realistic setting he is shit. I much prefer this iteration over all others.
>>
>>68139450
>I don't know why they need a Suicide Squad
To do black ops the government can't be seen to have a hand in

Are you retarded?
>>
>>68133591
I thought this too, but I rewatched TDK recently, Ledger's Joker is legitimately really good. Totally holds up.
>>
>>68133600
Latest trailer actually made me lose interest in the movie. Also harlequien, she seems to lose her accent later on in the movie
>>
>>68139588
That's obvious, but what kind?
They don't look particularly proficient, either. At most, they'd need Will Smith with guns and Killer Croc if they are still into that MUH REALIZM GUISE thing.
And who the fuck still fights with a katana?
>>
>>68139166
He is more like a criminal.
>>
>>68139703
>That's obvious, but what kind?
Black ops that the government can't seen to have a hand in

Holy fuck anon
>>
>>68139809
I mean exactly what misions are they doing.
If it's just a bunch of them then this will be, somehow, even more bloated and incoherent than BvS.
>>
File: batman-arkham-asylum-joker.jpg (92 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
batman-arkham-asylum-joker.jpg
92 KB, 1024x576
>>68139127
Not a diehard either, though I have been in the game for decades. Hell, I worked at a comic shop for years... which granted me the luxury of absorbing just about everything (what I didn't buy, I read on my lunch break). Admittedly I am more of a Marvel guy, but I followed a lot of DC titles during that time (prior to the whole 52 thing). One thing I have learned is that there are many interpretations of every character. Some work. Some don't. I enjoyed the Nolan trilogy, and the Ledger Joker worked for me. Personally I think my favorite Joker was the one in the Arkham Asylum. But that's a video game. And these are films. Was Bale's Batman the best? I dunno. Did I enjoy it? Yeah. Not crazy about Affleck, but to be fair, most of his performances bore me. And as for the "real" Joker from the comics, I don't recall him ever needing to display his mental status via facial tattoos - LetoJoker reminds me of those crappy halloween costumes they sell at Rite Aid - with the name of the character printed on the front to help confused adults identify you. To me, the Joker didn't need to advertise. His actions defined him. He has always been more of a force of nature than something you can understand. Leto comes across as an explanation for something that cannot be explained. So, while I try to reserve judgement until I see it (I didn't think I'd like Ledger before I saw TDK) at this point, Leto's Joker doesn't work for me.
>>
>>68140014
>I mean exactly what misions are they doing.
Watch the goddamn film anon, holy fuck
>>
>>68137129
Joker didnt want to kill Batsy when he realized how much fun he could have with him
>>
>>68135846
>>
>>68138002
>>68137679
2 different things can be good you fucking retard
>>
I honestly don't give a fuck. I don't like the direction they're going in with Harley, Will Smith is too much like Will Smith which will definitely distract me throughout the movie, and the new trailer really left a bad taste in my mouth.
>WHO WOULD WE CALL TO STOP SUPERMAN?
Batman. We just had a whole fucking movie on this point.
>>
>>68137129
I felt the same way (about the Joker needing to be literally "created" by Batman). But ultimately Bats being indirectly responsible for the Joker was cool. The complete lack of origin in TDK works in Joker's favor. I love Alan Moore, but the Killing Joke did more harm to the Joker than good. Regardless - they're linked, that's all you need.
>>
>>68139703
she binds the souls of those killed into the katana
>>
>>68140584
I agree that Will Smith seems to have done a fine job of Will Smithing Deadshot. Shame.
>>
File: 14104655463.jpg (74 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
14104655463.jpg
74 KB, 1000x670
But how will the new Bill Wilson compare? Why haven't they shown him in the trailers yet?
I think it's being kept a secret because it's either really good or really bad.
>>
>>68140048
I'm not a comics nerd since my parents never allowed me to get comics, I'm sort of a late bloomer in that regard. Still, I'm fairly worried about Leto, I agree with your points and I think he just tried to hard to go the Ledger/method actory way. Also, from the trailers, I fucking hate Harley and the humour is not doing it for me
>>
>>68139400
Memes aside, you are probably right.
>>
>>68140802
That's cool. But I hope you're not one who thinks the MCU is for children. I've been disappointed/burned by a lot of bad interpretations of beloved characters over the years (Spider-Man movies, both Raimi, and Webb... most of the X-Men stuff, the FF, etc.) and I feel like the MCU is hitting (most) of the right notes. Not perfect, but close. Despite my bias, I wanted Man Of Steel to be good, but it sucked. Not everything needs to be super gritty dark. Seems like Squad would benefit from some twisted humor. Not saying it will be great, but come on - Captain Boomerang? I think it would be a disaster if SS took itself too seriously. You gotta have some fun in there.
>>
>>68140620
Joker says outright in The Killing Joke that his story might be complete bullshit. He seems to remember it differently anytime, and he's no longer sure if any part of it actually happened.
>>
>>68140452
i'm in shock, really no one has noticed this?
i mean, there are fun movies... but come on... besides "batman begins" the rest is really bad... the joker is a cool character in the movie, the most unrealistic tho, but fun... the rest of the movie (or saga) is bullshit (if we watched as a batman movie a capeshit movie)
>>
>>68141549
He SAYS that, sure. But it was still considered canon by many, and that past that he spoke of permeated much of the writing that followed throughout the years.
>>
>>68141208
I highly dislike the direction they chose to went with MoS and BvS. And I like dark.
I dont believe MCU stuff is for children, I'd say it's kind of formulaic, but still it's a pretty good rendition of the comics (afterall comics are a bit immature if I can say, so they're not gonna be deep movies), they got their characters down, the stories are simple but to the point. They did a good job building the universe with decent movies and good casts.
>>
>>68141208
another thing, I hate their humour, I would choke Whedon with his fucking scripts if I could. He's not fucking funny.
Also I resent the marvel movies for being one of the catalysts for the eruption of "nerd culture"
>>
File: 2i4k7.jpg (185 KB, 664x1023) Image search: [Google]
2i4k7.jpg
185 KB, 664x1023
>>68140048
>To me, the Joker didn't need to advertise. His actions defined him
>literally uses bombs, drives cars and airships with his face on them, once even infected fucking fish into having his face
Joker is an attention whore and you know it
>>
>>68142339
Yeah. I like dark too. But it seemed really out of place for Superman. Not that he can't have any darkness - surely being an alien and sort of always out of place on Earth provides plenty of room for internal turmoil. But desaturating everything, both literally and figuratively resulted in less of a paragon of hope and goodness and more of a poster boy for Paxil. Agree that MCU is formulaic.

If you've not read it, I recommend Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid. It's what I wanted Man Of Steel to be.
>>
>>68142548
Haha! True. But "Damaged" seems too much, even for him. I'd rather see him drive around in a car that looks like it drove through his closet ('89 Batman) than a Joker who feel in a vat of Hot Topic's "Smack my bitch up" line...
>>
>>68142458
Wow. I guess that sheltered life your parents forced upon you did some damage. Maybe get a facial tat?
>>
>>68142949
yeah I was thinking of a "damaged" on my forehead, it really brings the point home with subtlety
>>
File: 1392467621658.jpg (140 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1392467621658.jpg
140 KB, 1920x1200
>>68133517
I've got to admit i really like the idea of the joker thats a flash sort of vain wanker. In many ways it suits his comic persona down to the ground. I'd even say it suits him better than ledgers introverted weirdo. Although it's such a fun character that I'm not really convinced you can do him bad.
>>
File: jokercar.jpg (84 KB, 640x268) Image search: [Google]
jokercar.jpg
84 KB, 640x268
>>68142827
Actually Joker's car is pretty flashy too
>>
>>68143015
I think the success of the MCU is more a result of "exploding nerd culture" than the cause of it...
>>
>>68143196
Not gonna lie: I do kinda dig his ride...
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.