[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long did it take for you to realise that it was actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 14
File: photo.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
How long did it take for you to realise that it was actually complete shit?
>>
1 second
>>
when ned stark died
>>
Around the second or third major character death. I realize I didn't give a shit about any of them.
>>
>>68131065

The first season was good. It just keeps getting worse. I didn't watch season 5. I'm waiting for them to finish it and if I like the ending I'll watch the rest.

The show runners are fucking morons though.
>>
When I had seen s02e01
>>
About season 3 I started to have my doubts. It became too self aware and seemed to be just inventing the most interesting or extreme death to please / confuse / hype the audience in the real world, in the 21st century. Actors in it started to inherit this 21st century charisma and attitude and smugness from their real celebrity selves, like they were playing themselves partying on set and just reading the lines between the partying. I actually live and spend alot of time within throwing distance of Game of Thrones and know quite a few of the crew, they're all really strange media types who all sleep together and lick ass to be near the celebrities, and the celebrities are all assholes. By about the 5th season it seemed like Game of Thrones existed but died, then there was this mirrored Game of Thrones that also existed and died, but by the 5th it was like we were watching a 3rd clone of the game of thrones, all completely aware of 21st century reality anad the celebrities and all that stuff.
>>
I stopped watching somewhere early in s3.

The story lost the urgency it had in s1 and to a lesser extent in s2 and just turned into a "turgid supernatural soap opera". You realise when watching it that stuff is just going to go round and round without really getting anywhere.
>>
I didn't even need to watch it.
>>
1 season
>>
>>68131065
I actually don't think it's complete shit. It's entertaining, the sets are well done, the music and cinematography is lovely and it has some absolutely top notch acting. The problem is that the source material got so out of hand with the characters and subplots after book 1 it didn't adapt so nicely to tv any more and the showrunners are afraid of completely rewriting the whole thing so that it'd suit television, so as a result you get this thing that's trying to both stay somewhat faithful to the books and be watchable as a standalone thing for showfags, which is sort of impossible.

Of course, there's some utterly dreadful fuck-ups too here and there, like the teenage mutant ninja sand-snakes from last season, christ that was bad. But overall, I think it's very good, as far as period fantasy goes. Not mind-blowingly amazing like it seemed to be in season 1 but still good imo. Considering everything.
>>
>>68131136

Yep. here. But I still watch it. But it's basically just a soap opera. There's no intention to character development, and the character development that does occur has no meaning.
>>
>>68131065
I knew it from the commercials, I've never watched an episode. I hate fantasy Posing as historical shit.
>>
>>68131065
After I read the books.
>>
>>68133022
You genuinely think the show would be better if it tried to stay absolutely faithful to the books?
>>
File: absolute chaosh.jpg (81 KB, 378x633) Image search: [Google]
absolute chaosh.jpg
81 KB, 378x633
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/11/game-thrones-season-6-premiere-screening

>There are some scenes that are genuinely shocking. As in: Even hardcore fans full of speculation about the new season won’t see some twists coming.

>You know those two season 6 trailers that got you so excited? A surprising amount of that footage is either from this first episode or from scenes that will seemingly happen in the next. In other words: There is so much more from this season’s storylines that hasn’t even been hinted in any of the released footage. (That said, a new, action-packed trailer revealing more content from season 6 screened after premiere.)

sounds good 2bh
>>
/got/ is back lads
>>
>>68131065
somewhere in season 3
around the time where a bunch of wildlings attacking the wall was taking up entire episodes
>>
File: valar morghulis.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
valar morghulis.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
The beetle scene was when I realized how bad things really were.

It just keeps getting worse. The point of the series isn't "ebin death tweest"
>>
>>68133150
>There are some scenes that are genuinely shocking.

Honestly that's part of the problem. They're just doing shit to shock people and it's dumb. Also Martin's writing got much worse after the third book and lost direction. The show hasn't really helped that distinction.

There appears to be no ending. Martin is a fat fuck who refuses to commit to anything. He is also going to say how different everything is in the books now from the show to distance himself.

The show runners are borderline hacks who relish in shock without substance. they were committed to seven seasons and now apparently they're making 8.

It honestly isn't looking to good for GOT.
>>
Suddenly killing someone violently is the lowest of the low shock tactics.
Throw in some tits and cocks and some rape and we get one of the shittest shows of all time.
None of this is clever writing. But people rave about this adolescent rape/murder show like it's a work of genius.
>>
>>68131065
season 4

i was too autistic and took me long
>>
After Joff and Tywin died I realized the main thing that hooked me in season 1 was over and I didn't give a shit about anything else.
>>
GoT is the best show on tv .
Best cast, best story best acting best dialogue best deaths

itsj ust the best
>>
>>68133557
TWD has the same issues as GoT gets nitpicked to death, unlike GoT why is this?
>>
I won't lie, I only realized in season 5 guys.
>>
>>68134020
TWD is the most watched show in the key demos, so it naturally gets more criticism. GoT is just a drop in a puddle compared to it. That being said I enjoyed the last few seasons of TWD far more than GoT
>>
>>68133022
But the books are garbage too
>>
>>68133557

Suddenly killing someone violently is why the show is good. No pussy plot armor. What ruins the show is fantasy deus ex machinas. Muh dragons, muh vagina monsters
>>
>>68134020
What is TWD?

Whatever it is, I don't hear people telling me how 'great' it is on an almost daily basis.
>>
>>68131065
I'm only in it for the funny threads on /tv/. Otherwise i'd drop it after season 2
>>
File: 1456296871546.jpg (38 KB, 365x450) Image search: [Google]
1456296871546.jpg
38 KB, 365x450
>>68134097
>funny threads on /tv/

Which ones?
>>
>>68131065
It was good before s5
>>
>>68133117
Yes. The show only got shit once it started doing its own story
>>
>>68134214
But the books started to slowly get to shit after book 1 as well, and also they got so massive a faithful adaptation would be unwatchable, too many character, too many sideplots, too much time spent doing nothing. The characters would need to have name tags above their heads or something
>>
>>68134118
/got/ is pretty funny
>>
>>68131065
i remember thinking "fuck this stupid bullshit" after reading one of the first chapters of book 3. grrm has potential but has decided that this will be his magnum opus and he'll be dead before he can actually do anything useful.
>>
>>68134069
>GoT is just a drop in a puddle compared to it.

Maybe in live viewership. I'm sure they make it up in DVD sales plus hbo is a subscription service so it's one of the most pirated shows.

I think right now in terms of people watching TWD is 1 and GOT is two. At least in scripted shows.
>>
Season 2 was complete cack.
It was downhill from there. They should take two years to make a proper season like they did with s1
>>
>>68133557
b-b-b-but it's realistic!!
>>
>>68134090
>ebin death tweests is good writing
15 year old detected
>>
>>68131065
Season 2, episode 3. The one where we spend like fifteen minutes in Renly's bedroom with him sexing it up with Loras and then failing to get a boner with Margarey.
>>
>>68134280
Yeah it's funnier than r/asoiaf imho
>>
>>68132990
>>68131359
These.
>>
yfw this is better than whole of GoT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJVVwWN2zNY&nohtml5=False

why couldnt they just stay reasonably true to the source material?
>>
Around Season 3 or so. That's when I started to watch just to see how low can they sink.
>>
During season 4 they started getting really lazy
>>
File: 1321645103594.jpg (28 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1321645103594.jpg
28 KB, 400x500
10 minutes into the first episode
>>
>>68134549
r/asoiaf is pathetic.. They actually un ironically liked S5
>>
>>68134678
Why is Al Pacino so likable?
>>
>>68134624
That's not in the plot proper even in the books though, it's the histories and lore part, so if they'd done that they'd be scrapping the source material completely - sort of like if people doing the Harry Potter films would have gone "Fuck it, instead of filming Harry's time in Hogwarts let's totally scrap that and focus on the ancient adventures of Rodric Gryffindor". GRRM does a fine job at worldbuilding and there's a lot of cool historical events he's come up with, but that might be the problem, he's too in love with the ever-expanding lore, and the actual current events aren't so snappily written
>>
>>68134624
>They couldn't resist white washing Rhaenyra
I don't know why this is so funny to me.
>>
Although the South Park parody is a bit shit, it hits the nail on the head when it comes to the "everything is on its way" writing. We've made some small progress but it's been 6 series. It could be another 6 before a real climax.
>>
>>68134744
>South Park parody is a bit shit
I thought those episodes worked pretty well.
>>
>>68131065
Season 4 pretty much put the nail in the coffin. if you're too lazy to stick with the books' core plot lines and characters, then why adapt it into TV in the first place?
>>
>>68134800
Money.
>>
>>68131065
>complete shit
Critics disagree, general audience,book fags disagree...
>>
>>68134767
There are good and bad points. I don't know where they got the penis thing from.
>>
Season 3 start, still think season 1 is great though
>>
>>68131065
after tyrion' trial.
next season and ongoing arc is pure shit.
>>
>>68134861
That's just South Park being South Park. They obviously knew what happens in the show and books because in an earlier episode Mr. Garrisson was lecturing on it and it was all written down on his blackboard.
I don't remember any gay wieners, personally. Hodor's not gay.
>>
lol remember when /got/ generals were a thing
>>
At the Asha and the dogs scene.
>>
>>68131065
When the little bitch lets the guy who protected her die a horrid death, zero honour, that's when I realised it was complete womanshit. I ignored the dragon lady because hurr durr magic is power but it is a huge femfantasy soap.
>>
>>68134093
That zombie show.
>>
When strong and empowered Talisa talked shit to Robb and Roose without a care in the world, causing Robb to immediately fall in love with her.

Her whole background is unfathomably retarded. Why did she go to Westeros of all places? Why did she decide to stay there when the country fell into an all out war? How did she become a nurse? Those aren't even a thing in Westeros.
>>
>>68134624
Because books and tv are different mediums, what works in the novel won't work on tv
>>
>>68135059
Yeah I realised after I posted. I got bored with that very quickly. There is no endgame and the characters behave like fucking idiots.
>>
>>68131065
When I researched into JRR Martin and found out that he has a superfan keep track of character deaths and such for him. When I found out that he didn't know how to "untangle the Meereenese knot". Meaning most of it was made up on the spot and that most of the story was completely arbitrary.
>>
>>68135102
>what works in the novel won't work on tv
if you can't make it work is your fault faggot
>>
>>68135185
so, you say fatfuck doesn't know how to finish the story?
>>
>>68134624
The books are trash.
>>
>>68135195
But the problem is that if they'd make it work it'd deviate so much from the source material the book fans would go berserk with the whining
>>
>>68135234
I'm saying he doesn't plan anything ahead of time and doesn't remember half the shit he wrote because he's a hack who chooses plot points randomly.
>>
>>68133557

>Suddenly killing

This is what gives immersion tough. I dont know about you, but i grow tired of shows that are way to predictable because ''muh plot characters''

Even shows where killing characters should be ''their thing'' like fucking TWD suck at this, because they rarely kill main characters cause rating.

>None of this is clever writing

It works. People gets entertain, sells a lot and doesnt fall in most cliches of its genera. I think most people would call that good writing.
>>
>>68135373

I think only the three first books where planed before hand. Then he just started to improvise and shit.
>>
Abouit the time it took me to read the first book a decade ago.
>>
>>68131286
First couple of lines I was in total agreement and this just got more and more bizarre
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
>>68133150
>cutting Conleth out of the pic
>>
File: 1426275049672.jpg (38 KB, 477x353) Image search: [Google]
1426275049672.jpg
38 KB, 477x353
>>68131117
>show has Sean bean
>calls it shit when he dies
>>
>>68131065

Enjoyed the books way before they became the hit they are with the mainstream crowd, I gave up after season 2 though realizing what hacks D&D are and completely ruining and giving everyone a watered down version of a decent story.
>>
>>68133150
>Believing EW
They are pretty much GoT's PR team look at all the articles they have released over the past 2 months.
>>
>>68131065
after I watched the first 2 episodes at college 2 years ago and was like "people actually like this show?"
>>
File: 1401750133077.jpg (109 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1401750133077.jpg
109 KB, 600x600
>>68131286
>I actually live and spend alot of time within throwing distance of Game of Thrones and know quite a few of the crew, they're all really strange media types who all sleep together and lick ass to be near the celebrities, and the celebrities are all assholes.

>the celebrities are all assholes.

Please explain in great detail.
>>
>>68131065
i watched the first season, it was all i needed
>>
this thread is contrarian faggot central holy shit
>>
I had my doubts starting in season 3, but stopped watching it altogether after I saw this scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pocQRPl1FYQ
>>
Why was season 2 shit? I can't remember much of it apart from the battle at the end but I don't remember thinking it was too bad
>>
File: Joffrey_in_armor2x09.jpg (74 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
Joffrey_in_armor2x09.jpg
74 KB, 625x417
>>68131065
When King Joffrey died.

I loved his sadistic mannerisms and was always intrigued to see what he would do next (even though that bedroom scene was truly horrifying with the torture of that women, killing her in end... Jesus).
>>
>>68131130
>The show runners are fucking morons though.
and the book author is a moron too now
>>
>>68131286
A really intelligent comment.
>>
>>68131065

I gave it five episodes before I quit. It's literally a soap opera set in medieval times.
>>
>>68131065
I need this pic in HD please or bigger has anyone got it those look like perfect feet and legs to me and i got the house alone i need to jerk it real good and this is like the holy grail
>>
>>68136858
>Why was season 2 shit?
It wasn't. I don't remember much of it either but I do recall enjoying it
>>
>>68131065
Someone tell me, what ever happened to that guy who got his dick cut off?

I remember his sister was on her way to try to save him. I stopped watching from there.
>>
>>68135981
you're literally a whiner and a fucking moron
>>
>>68137018
Oh boy you missed the thirty good men and the dogs
>>
>>68136961
PLEASE ANYONE GOT THIS FUCKING PIC AND NOT ANT SIZED
>>
>>68136781
what makes you think that?
>>
>>68137183

yeah that was fooking terrible.
>>
>>68131286
>by about the 5th season it seemed like Game of Thrones existed but died, then there was this mirrored Game of Thrones that also existed and died, but by the 5th it was like we were watching a 3rd clone of the game of thrones, all completely aware of 21st century reality anad the celebrities and all that stuff.

What the FUCK did he mean by this?
>>
>>68134624
>that scene where stannis doesnt know what dance of the dragons is when shireen brings it up

lmao fucking D&D
It's as if an american general today didn't know what the american civil war was
>>
>>68131065
One episode, because I'm not a stupid mongoloid.
>le SHOCKING violence
>le bad actresses
>le epic dwarf man
>le boobies
>>
>>68135981
>oh crap our writing isn't good enough to stand on its own let's kill some character to make it more realistic

You do realize this method essentially means a character was thrown in the plot with no purpose or meaning and that the main core of the show is cheap shock value, right?
>>
File: 1449326340913.jpg (1012 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1449326340913.jpg
1012 KB, 2000x3000
>>68137306
i got you

use reverse image search next time
>>
>>68137339
Different anon, but it's all the people stating how they totally thought the show was utter soap opera shit during season 1 or something.
Everyone loved the everloving shit out of GoT during seasons 1 & 2 and anyone claiming otherwise is most likely lying, because due to the later seasons being weaker the show as a whole supposedly became rubbish, and they want to pretend they were so patrician they saw what will come already at s01 e02 and stopped watching.

The later seasons are weaker, it's true. The later books are also much, much weaker and also expand too much with the plots, characters etc, so the drop in intensity was sort of inevitable if they were going to be in any way faithful to the source material.
But it was really good when it began, and it's still breddy gud. It could have been awesome if Martin would have been writing with a tv adaptation in mind from the beginning, it might have helped him keep the plot tighter and better in hand. But he went the sprawling epic full of lore and history and minor characters and surprise twists route
>>
>>68131065
I just kind of stopped somewhere in season 5. I didn't give a shit, I had read the books and the last 2 were awful; Tywin dying was the death of the last great character and actor left on the show.
>>
>>68136691
You're an idiot if you actually think that ASOIAF, directly adapted, would be watchable as a tv show without a 15 mins "previously on Game of Thrones" recap (with the names and relations of the characters and where the fuck they are and why are they there and what the other factions are doing) in front of every goddamn episode.

It may be enjoyable gritty political fantasy in book format, where you see the characters' names whenever they do anything and where you can check the character list at the back of the book every now and then, but it'd be utterly unwatchable as tv. It'd only appeal to people who have already read the books and want to see a moving illustration of the book, but it'd alienate people watching show only.
And unfortunately a fantasy period epic of that scale, needing a shit ton of extras and costumes and make-up and sets and whatnot, needs to get a big audience in order to be profitable in any way.

Insisting that the tv series should have been more faithful to the books just indicates someone is a moron who doesn't understand that different formats need different stories.
>>
>>68138061
This. Anons need to get over it. Shows of this magnitude on a major channel like this need to pander to the masses as well.
>>
>>68137612
OH GOD THANK YOU THANK YOU IF I KNEW WHERE YOU WERE I WOULD SUCK THE CUM OUT OF YOUR COCK
>>
I never liked it as much as most people do. All of the good guys that you can root for always get killed off and the bad guys never get any comeuppance. Joffery's death was lame as fuck and completely anticlimactic. The show often feels like it's spinning it's wheels too. If you wanted to you could condense the 5 seasons in to 3 seasons.
>>
File: tcNf5a6.png (295 KB, 911x1032) Image search: [Google]
tcNf5a6.png
295 KB, 911x1032
>>68138061
No, it would just mean longer episodes or more episodes and more seasons.

See subtlety is key for GRRMs writing of ASOIF. Here's an example, Jon arryn was poisoned by lysa tully under littlefingers influence as we all know by now, but in the books it's laid up so that we believe it's the lannisters when in fact Jon wanted Robin to be fostered at Tywinn, which lysa hated and wouldn't allow as long as jon lived. The hints are all there, we just didnt see them.

Just like when Tywinn is seen dead in Baelor's sept and jaime basically admits to releasing tyrion. The show just lacks smoothness and subtlety
>>
>>68138583
>implying the whole lady stoneheart bullshit isn't ridiculous and cheesy
>>
File: 1459887490932.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1459887490932.png
65 KB, 285x276
>>68138583

Barristan its what hurts the most.

At least they are going a diferent direction right? like now i have both books and show to fill my GOT doses.
>>
>>68138583
Another thing to add is the question whether Loras and Renly were homosexual lovers too and if they were Loras might have manipulated Renly because the tyrells are schemers, just like the martells and lannisters. It's never directly confirmed. The same goes for Margaery's virginity, which plays an important part later since she's being prosecuted by the faith for adultery. D&D just destroys any kind of mystery the books have with their horrible execution. There are loads of examples
>>
>>68138583
>it would just mean longer episodes or more episodes and more seasons.
No it wouldn't, because only people who've read the books would care enough to keep up with the show just to see the characters and scenes they love in action - which wouldn't be anywhere near enough to form a profitable viewer base, and the whole thing would have been canceled after season 2 or 3 by the latest. Filming takes money. Filming more scenes takes more money. Even in its current form GoT has pretty much the largest cast in television, it's a very expensive production, around $ 6 million per episode - and people are whining that there should have been MORE, more people, more sets, more shooting days, more episodes. Where would the money for this come from? You think that being harder to follow, having an even more expansive cast (harder to remember) and having the plot be even more slow and meandering would double the viewership?

It's different to show things on screen and through actions, expressions and words, as a visual medium, and it's very different to write things when you can slap in anything you want and make characters think about things that happened in the past or notice and wonder about things in their mind or think of power structures or whatever. Good book doesn't automatically translate to good tv because the mediums are so different. It's astounding to me how many bookfags fail to grasp that
>>
>>68138934
I know, what people are interested is "You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy"
>>
>>68138973
I'm not saying that GoT doesn't have shit writing here and there. I'm saying that pretending that staying 100% true to the books would have been in any way a functional solution is bullshit. Sure D&D should have written it better, sure there are cringey bits - but it would have also been unwatchable had it been completely faithful to the books.

This is my issue; autists claiming that the books are flawlessly written and would have made for better tv than the clusterfuck we have now. Which isn't true; it'd have been worse.
>>
>>68139360
I don't think people want 100% true to the book word for word adaptation. I think they don't want iconic lines changed or omitted, characters fundamentally changed for no reason, and retarded OC that literally goes nowhere like Yara's rescue, or Jon's attack on the mutineers.
>>
>>68136859
>not remembering Ros's name
>>
>>68139647
Never forget.
>>
File: stop.jpg (201 KB, 1091x786) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
201 KB, 1091x786
>>68136961
>>68137306
>>68138268
>>
>>68139534
>I don't think people want 100% true to the book word for word adaptation.
>They just want all the characters and all the "cool" lines and scenes to stay in
That's a true to the book adaptation you're describing there though. The same problems would still be there; too many characters doing too many things in too many locations simultaneously, and those things not being very dramatic but rather "sitting in a desert while things slowly go to shit and contemplating life, waiting for the plague to go away and squabbling with the tertiary characters that are totally removed from the main plot and the plethora of people there"

And people are very much whining the lack of a faithful adaptation. Pretty much everything that's wrong with the show is most of the time chalked up to "if only they'd be more faithful to the books boo hoo". I can understand whining about the writing, since there is something to whine about; but jesus fuck I wish people would stop lying to themselves about how the show would be soooo much better if it only had 2x more characters and sideplots.
>>
>>68140020
>They just want all the characters and all the "cool" lines and scenes to stay in
If you really think that's what I said, you're retarded. Say Crime and Punishment was adapted into a movie, but Sonya was a feisty, hotheaded, sassy rich girl. It's retarded, it serves no purpose, and it fucks with plot, making the writing more difficult. And don't tell me shit like that doesn't happen on the show, because it does more often than not. Since we're talking whores, Shae is a good example. By making her a more genuine, caring person, they wrote themselves into a corner when the time for Tyrion's trial came. So they had to waste minutes of screen time to set up her betrayal, which still didn't make much sense in the end.
>>
>>68131065
You fucking l33tist tossers would love it if it wasn't so popular. It's great tv, go fuck yourselves.
>>
>>68131065
after about 7-10 wathes... but if you watch something 10 times before u think it is kinda iffy, it was probably pretty guud to keep you interested that many times
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.