[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the battle between The Emperor and Yoda so fucking terrible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 14
File: Clash_of_Titans.png (809 KB, 1115x816) Image search: [Google]
Clash_of_Titans.png
809 KB, 1115x816
Why is the battle between The Emperor and Yoda so fucking terrible?
>>
>>68130060
It's a little muppet jumping around attacking an elderly man with laser swords.
>>
>>68130060
>>68130060
The three worst things Lucas did in the prequels:
>show Yoda fighting with a lightsaber
>show Sheev fighting with a lightsaber
>Acrobatic lightsaber fights

That scene uses all three extensively.

If you pretend that the prequel films are showing a mythology from the perspective of characters in the OT age, (telling each other stories and legends about the Clone wars era) then it doesn't all seem so bad.
>>
>>68130340
Good analysis. Also Palpatine just cackling a lot kills his character. Acrobatic fights are fucking stupid
>>
>>68130340
>If you pretend that the prequel films are showing a mythology from the perspective of characters in the OT age, (telling each other stories and legends about the Clone wars era) then it doesn't all seem so bad.
Why the fuck would you do that? None of it's shot like that at all. It's sad how much stupid shit you geeks come up with to help you digest shit movies that aren't important in the first place. Just walk away.
>>
>>68130060
Because two absolute masters shouldn't fucking need lightsabers. It should be a pure Force battle.
>>
>>68130060
>terrible
you spelled "literally the best, most exciting battle of the entire star wars franchise, including the original trilogy" wrong
>>
>>68130729
I liked that duel but it isn't the best one of the saga at all.
>>
>>68130528
I felt like the cackling was in character for him, especially in his current position. The Sith have just recently regained control of the entire galaxy. In the OT, he was an eccentric guy. In RotS, he's as giddy as a school girl.
>>
>>68130724
>pure Force battle
do you want Sheev to use force lightning for 5 minutes while Yoda is defending himslef and using force push?

this isnt your animu, only force fight is stupid idea senpai
>>
>>68130757
Just don't like the instant switch from intelligent political genius to laughing madman. Came out of nowhere really
>>
>>68130765
Maybe take the opportunity to introduce something new, because two people whacking at each other with rave sticks like a couple of shitcan padawans isn't any better faggot.
>>
>>68130340
I don't really get the hate for this. The Old Ben-Vader fights and the Luke-Vader fights involved a geriatric who'd been living on seclusion in a desert, a geriatric cyborg on life support, and some snot-nosed punk who'd been training for a handful of years with no sparring partners.

Old Republic Jedi were raised from children to be glowstick murder machines with a mastery of space magic.
>>
>>68130340
But the force let's you do anything. The fight isn't that unbelievable.
>>
>>68130780
That was him completely dropping his disguise that he had been keeping up for decades.

Literally everything he's done since he ran for Senator of Naboo has been for this moment where he drops all fake voices, calm demeanors, and non-demon faces and just goes full-on Dark Lord of the Sith.
>>
>>68130060
I'm fine with it.
>>
>>68130340
>Having absolutelly 0 understanding about the force
>Not fucking knowing what "Force Valor" is
>Actually believing that the duels in the OT were anything close to exciting.

The prequels were better than the OT.
>>
>>68130060

Each to their own OP.
>>
>>68131074

Why must millenials be such plebs...
>>
>>68130828
literally this.
>>
2 elderly men that have difficulty walking unassisted leaping like it's the fucking Twin Snakes
>>
>>68130828

Pretty much this.

The only fight that I found a bit odd, was from episode II.

But considering that it's the only Star Wars film I hate, that's pretty much it.
>>
>>68131138

yes, because they're the only ones who are capable of being plebs

Come now, anon, you're smarter than that.
>>
>>68130828
Storywise, it makes sense. Doesn't necessarily make it good.

The lightsaber duels from the OT were more symbolic than anything. Sure, they had action and tension, but ask any adult and the thing they liked best about Star Wars wasn't two grown men swinging magic sticks around. It was more about the buildup between the characters in those scenes.

Then again Star Wars isn't for adults so you can just disregard my entire argument, really.
>>
>>68131138
We've got to stop using the term "millennial" until /tv/ gets a full understanding of what it means.

/tv/ seems to think that anyone born after 1980 is a millennial.
>>
>>68130828

>Old republic

>canon

But I understand where you are coming from, plus a Samurai style light-saber fight where the two opponents fight by one shotting each other, or longsword style battering your opponent isn't as entertaining as the wuxia influence the prequels had.
>>
>>68131138
>pretending you're not a millennial
>>
Because there's no reason for it to happen this way. These are not the kind of characters who would get into a huge lightsaber duel, at least not as the characters were presented in the OT and how they act for about half of the prequels. This should have been a two-minute force showdown in which Palpatine overpowered Yoda and that was it. There was no reason for it to go on for so long. And it was terrible editing to have it interspersed with the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight, because at least that fight made sense and had clear motivations and feelings and weight.
>>
File: Star-Wars-kid.png (203 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-kid.png
203 KB, 600x400
>>68130060
>Why is the battle between The Emperor and Yoda so fucking terrible?

Because if you take all the digital effects away in that scene, all you have is Ian McDirmaid swinging around a stick at nothing in front of a green screen.

George Lucas literally turned Sheev into the Star Wars Kid.
>>
File: star wars reaction.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
star wars reaction.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>emperor in the original trilogy
>"you jedi and your puny jedi toys.."

>emperor in the prequel
>"TASTE MY LIGHTSAYBA! KIIIIAAAAAIIIIIIIIII!!! xD"
>>
>>68130729
This

People forget these are kids movies

Stop trying to turn it into some grimdark shit
>>
>>68131678
>I only watch mature kino for the mature viewers such as myself

Everybody likes a good adventure.
>>
>>68131678
Nah, Lucas is just a hack with the mind of a child.
>>
File: 1458060254319.jpg (24 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
1458060254319.jpg
24 KB, 488x488
>>68131441
>implying Ian McDiarmid is present for all but a few close-ups of his face
>>
>>68131282
Oh, the lightsaber fights in the prequels largely lacked the gravitas that the OT fights had for sure. The one fight that could have matched the OT, the Anakin-Obi duel, ruins it by covering the screen in retarded CGI set pieces.
>>68131342
The prequels aren't canon?
>>
>>68131074
>force valor
>canon

>acrobatic fights
>emotional and exciting

Millennial pls leave
>>
>>68131138
>>68132516
>"m-muh superior taste"
>"m-muh OT!"

Niggers Im probably older than u.
>>
>>68130650
It's just my head canon. It makes the over the top actions sequences make sense. Plus it's something Lucas probably would come up with as an excuse for the prequels.

Also
>liking Star Wars
>not being an autistic geek
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 1280x720
Does anyone have a screencap of that scene where Ewan Macgregor is swimming, and you can clearly see the air tank on his back?
>>
>>68130836
It is if you include the fact that Vader should be doing backflips and shit in the OT. The guy spent most of his life training as a Jedi and sith. He might be an old guy on life support but if he's trained in the force for that long then he should be having palatine episode 3 fights.
>>
>>68132535
>older than me
>can't spell or use basic grammar

Wew lad
>>
>>68132632
Every single Star Wars game seems to indicate he can.
>>
>>68131678
>>kids movies
/thread
>>
>>68132686
True, and I won't mention muh canon. But then he doesn't do it in the movies, which the rest of the lore should revolve around more closely.
>>
>>68132729
>caring about the age demographic of Star Wars

We live in a world with bronies and the age of Star Wars fans upsets you?
>>
>>68131074
>>Having absolutelly 0 understanding about the force
Well, tell me what do you know about the force you fucking retard.
>>
>>68130340
Except he did those in Empire and Jedi. We see Luke flipping and jumping around while fighting Vader.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 720x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 720x529
>>68132665
>>
>>68132737
If people did that, half the games would be talking and space travel, and the only time we'd ever see a lightsaber would be at the end.
>>
Someone throw Plinkett clips at >>68131678, please.
>>
>>68132951
Well meme'd. You sure showed that anon.

Oh shit I forgot redditors like you don't understand sarcasm unless you end your post with a "/s"
>>
>>68133025
>>68132951
Retards, please. You BOTH have no sense of humor. Calm the fuck down.
>>
>>68133023
>Plinkett clips
But Plinkett was wrong about the prequels. Why would you post crap that's wrong?
>>
>>68131282
>ask any adult and the thing they liked best about Star Wars wasn't two grown men swinging magic sticks around. It was more about the buildup between the characters in those scenes.
>meanwhile, people are excited for Rogue One, the most generic looking action movie to come out in recent years, and people liked the action shitfest that was The Force Awakens
>>
>>68131342
By the Old Republic anon meant the Republic from the prequels, not the EU Old Republic.
>>
>>68133104
Which is why every fanfilm made by adults is about characters being built.

Oh wait, no, they're all about fucking lightsabers because you're fucking wrong.
>>
>>68132951
You sure showed me!

>expecting people to take you seriously on the interwebs when you're not proficient in even the most basic English grammar.
>>
>>68132516
The duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was more emotional than any fight in the OT.
Fact.
>>
>>68133161
Nice punctuation newfriend.
>>
>>68133023
You could make a Plinkett review with nitpicky crap for literally any movie in existence. He picked an easy target since it was something everyone already hated.
>>
>>68133149
>they're all about fucking lightsabers because you're fucking wrong.
Wow, it's almost like that was my entire point.
The thing THE MAJORITY of people like the most about Star Wars is the "kewl action", no matter which trilogy they like.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 720x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 720x529
>>68133175
>>
>>68133195
That's pretty much what the Movie Sins channel on Youtube does: makes Plinkett reviews for every single movie out there (even ones they like), albeit their videos are much more condensed and lack all the prostitute killing skits.

Actually, those two last facts make them infinitely superior to Plinkett, and they still suck shit.
>>
>>68133306
>memes
>>
>>68133391
>not using memes in a Cantonese mosaic making hall.
>>
>>68133493
stop, stop.... he's already dead. Don't kill the whole thread :(
>>
>>68132853
They duel in acrobatic fashion because they are both users of Force Valor.
Yoda also uses Ataru, which relies on acrobatic and harsh movements to break your opponent's balance and strike with unpredictable blows.

I love how you niggers come here to criticize a saga that you've not read a shit about.
>>
>>68130060

Because these are the types of characters that don't make sense as flipping around sword fighting.
>>
>>68130765
How about they invent some new force power for them to use.?

These two are meant to be the absolute masters of the force, they should have powers beyond any other character thinks possible.

The best thing about the fight was when they eventually put the lightsabres away.
>>
>>68133493
>Cantonese mosaic making hall
Oh, what a great meme!
>>
>>68133689
Sidious is capable of conjuring force storms.
Y'all niggas should read more star wars.
>>
>>68133306
>gets owned
>copies his opponent's meme
>tries to use it on him
>further embarrasses himself

Wew lad.
>>
Why did they even have the fight. Could someone remind me?
>>
File: SWPicssomelikeithot.jpg (56 KB, 549x365) Image search: [Google]
SWPicssomelikeithot.jpg
56 KB, 549x365
>>68132490
>cgi
>>
>>68130160
The first reply is still the best.
>>
>>68133720
Funny how they didn't include any cool thing from your video games and comics in the movies and instead chose to use bullshit Kung fu flips instead eh? ;)
>>
File: 1452535392985.jpg (41 KB, 568x726) Image search: [Google]
1452535392985.jpg
41 KB, 568x726
Hey /tv/. Say Disney was willing to sell Star Wars. How much would they be willing to sell it for? I know they paid over 4 billion dollarydoos for it.
>>
Why didn't Yoda bring more Jedis with him? Why'd Mace Dindu only bring low-tier jedis to confront Sheev?
>>
>>68133052
>>68133195
He was talking about the clips with the kids infront of the tv showing the most boring politcal scenes or the horrible dismemberment of Anakain, proving that the kids movie argument is just an excuse apologists and Lucas made up afterwards. Plinkett is at least right about that part.
>>
>>68131298
>/tv/ seems to think that anyone born after 1980 is a millenial
Thats figuratively what it means
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
>>
>>68134030
>Why'd Mace Dindu only bring low-tier jedis to confront Sheev?
Wasn't that half the jedi council?
>>
>>68134179
Sheev could beat Yoda, he should have brought pretty much every non-padawan they had
>>
>>68132982
>Half the games would be space travel
and thats a bad thing?
>>
>>68133974
Anyone?
>>
>>68133195
>You could make a Plinkett review with nitpicky crap for literally any movie in existence.
And they would have been 1/100th as long for most of them.
>>
>Muh CG super jumpy saver fights
Glad that shit is gone for good now.
>>
>>68130765

>this isnt your animu

Oh the irony.

What we ended up getting is basically live-action anime laser sword fights.
>>
>>68134415
They want to make another 200 star wars movies the next 10 years. I doubt you could even imagine a number, they are willing to pay.
>>
>>68130060
Because it looked retarded and reinforced that the Jedi Council were a bunch of drooling retards who couldn't figure out shit about Sheev's obvious plan and instead just had to throw themselves at the, problem, sabres swinging, when shit finally hit the fan.

These could have been movies about political maneuverings between what are supposed to be intelligent space monks and an evil genius. Instead they sat cross-legged picking their noses while Sheev did the most obvious shit.
>>
>>68130528
>>68130757
>>68130780

This. Sheev earned his moment of giddiness. Wouldn't you be fucking thrilled if your decades of planning out control of the galaxy came to fruition?
>>
>>68130060
Yoda should never, ever hold a lightsaber. It goes against his character.
>>
>>68134091
>Plinkett is at least right about that part
Except no, he isn't. The Senate stuff is pretty short in the prequels. In fact, in all the prequels, the Senate scenes are still shorter than the slow buildup in A New Hope, and shorter than the boring middle act in Empire Strikes Back.

For a child, it's way easier to sit through Phantom Menace than it is to sit through Empire Strikes Back (trust me: I've shown these films recently to children who had never seen them). The scenes also aren't that hard to understand, not that you really need to understand much other than "bad guys bad" and "good guys good."
>>
>>68130060
>Why is the battle between The Emperor and Yoda so fucking terrible?

We know both characters survive making the entire fight emotionless and lacking tension. It's a CGI version of George Lucas masturbating.
>>
>>68133542
>Force Valor
>Ataru
NOT CANON
O
T

C
A
N
O
N
>>
>>68134995
Who the fuck cares about the movies, they all suck dick lmao.
The universe is great but the way it came to the great screen is dogshit.
>>
>>68134995
Both those things are still canon, though, due to the Clone Wars cartoon being canon.

Also, care less about Star Wars canon.
>>
>>68134091
Treasure Island is a book for children.
>>
>>68134834

>the boring middle act in Empire Strikes Back.
Choke on a dick
>>
>>68135418
Fuck you for just repeating what other faggots told you was right instead of thinking for yourself.
>>
>>68130060
because yoda was hyped up as a jedi that was so strong in the force that he didn't need a lightsaber then we see him in that scene and he's jumping around like bunny
>>
>>68135042
the cartoon isn't canon, only the cgi one is
>>
>>68135618
The CGI one was the one I was talking about, and not Genndy Wars. The CGI show featured lightsaber forms.
>>
>>68130060
>fights in OT - a battle that is forced upon the heroes by events, contains a strong emotional/mental element and the fight actually takes place more on this level than the level of muh lightsabers, ends in climactic and cathartic revalations or changes in characters (i.e. Luke becomes energized and motivated by Obi-wans sacrifice in ANH, Luke discovers 1. he is completely inadequate and 2. vader is his father in ESB, Luke manages to redeem vader and turn him from the dark side in ROTJ), lightsaber action reflects what is happening on this emotional level.
>fights in prequels - shallow poorly written scenes lead up to a confrontation that feels wedged in for little reason other than to have a fight, results in no change in any of the characters aside from physical harm, the results of these battles have almost no bearing in terms of character development for the rest of the movies aside from the basic physical consequences of the fight
>>
>>68135697
force valor and ataru was only mentioned in kotor 1/2, old republic and the clone wars adventures all of which are non-canon
>>
>>68135772
Ataru/Form IV was in Star Wars Rebels.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_IV

Force valor is in Episodes II and III (not the movies themselves, but the novelizations that are still canon).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_valor

Honestly, worrying about canon isn't worthwhile.
>>
File: Star-Wars-Rebels-Yoda.jpg (64 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-Rebels-Yoda.jpg
64 KB, 970x545
>>68135895
only the movies and the tv series are canon, all otherworks derived from them are not
and rebels is as far away from canon you can get
>>
>>68134834
The buildup in ANH was the best part of that movie though.

I have to agree with you about ESB though. As much as I love that movie, it does feel like there's a big slow chunk in the middle of it where we're just cutting back and forth between hiding in a cave talking about sexual tension between Han and Leia, and Luke jumping over logs while Yoda prattles on about the dark side.
>>
>>68134834
>boring middle act in Empire Strikes Back
Finally, /tv/ has summoned the avatar of Pleb, all hail this anon, the physical embodiment of the plebiscite.
>>
>>68134699

I'd lose my fucking shit and do anything I wanted, which is what Palpatine fucking did.
>>
>>68135968
According to you.

Not according to Wookieepedia.

I'll trust Wookieepedia over some random Anon who didn;t know Form IV/Ataru was in Rebels.
>>
>>68136118
>watching Rebels in the first place
Star Wars fans are literally the biggest cucks in existence.
>>
>>68136118
Who Makashi masterace over here.
>>
At least based Sheev is onscreen to make it better.
>>
>>68136118
If you want to cite Rebels then you need to address why the fights in Rebels are much more static and Original-Trilogy-like than the flippy choreography fights in the prequels.

The only person who breaks the mold is Asoka and even she only throws in a flip or jump every now and then, its remarkably less cartoony than the prequel fights, even though its literally a cartoon.
>>
>>68135980
>The buildup in ANH was the best part of that movie though.
I liked it, but for a kid these days, it's really dull.

And as far as ESB goes, it's by no means a bad movie, but idiots like >>68136057 can't admit that it doesn't have flaws because they never thought about the movie for themselves and just accepted that it's a "perfect" movie because someone else told them so.
>>
>>68131635
I hadn't seen this. Holy shit my sides.
Lia da best. Would impregnate lovingly.
>>
>>68136193
>implying that rebels isn't canon
>implying luke doesn't backflip over vader in the originals
Please be wrong about one thing at a time, dude.
>>
>>68136258
>character development scenes interspersed with fun chase scenes as solo desperately attempts to hide from the empire, literally no wasted film
>i-its flawed!
Do you have any specific complaint here other than its not flashy enough for your ADD? You might as well go shit on 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia or any of a dozen other movies that are masterpieces (and you'd be wrong).

If it makes you feel better: Im sorry Im not retarded enough to dislike things just because its "slow".

The movie has flaws but the middle part being dull isn't one of them.
>>
>>68136354
Im not implying shit, but theres a huge difference between the fights in OT/PT, and rebels leans way over to the OT side of this despite being an actual cartoon.
>>
>>68136427
>huge difference
Yep. Original trilogy: old guy vs cripple robot, guy who wasn't trained in light saber fighting vs cripple robots.

Prequel trilogy: younger people who were actually trained to fight with lightsabers

The characters in Rebels are young and trained to fight with lightsabers. Makes sense they fight more like the prequels than the original trilogy.
>>
>>68136383

The "cave" scene is comfy as fuck.

>you will never hide in an asteroid for a couple days and smooch princesses while listening to bombs exploding in the distance
>>
>>68136535
>Makes sense they fight more like the prequels than the original trilogy.
But they don't, they're much more like the OT than the prequels. Not only that but cripple bot wreckes Asoka, who is probably at the time the most proficient non-sith around, and is directly from the prequels era.
>>
>>68136383
>character development
All the characters in Empire were already developed in A New Hope (except Vader, who had no real character development in A New Hope, not that he needed it).

>fun chase scenes
The actual chase part is dreadfully slow. Most of it isn't even chasing, though, it's just them hiding without any tension whatsoever.

>comparing Empire to 2001
See, this is the big problem: you think Star Wars, particularly Empire, is some kind of deep masterpiece. It isn't. Get over it.
>>
>>68136535
Either Vader is an imposing and powerful figure representing the dark side.
OR
He's a weak old robo cripple.

You can't have him as both and watching the films I have no idea where you'd get the idea he's weak.
Sure faggots like you have been trying to make everything in different media fit together for decades as they make star wars more retarded. But you shouldn't bother.
>>
>>68136860
>Either Vader is an imposing and powerful figure representing the dark side.
>OR
>He's a weak old robo cripple.

Or he's both? "Imposing and powerful" doesn't mean "agile and spry." I'd say Tarkin is also "imposing and powerful" but it wouldn't make sense for him to be doing backflips, would it?
>>
File: tumblr_o4kv81gToz1uxb6ajo1_500.gif (619 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4kv81gToz1uxb6ajo1_500.gif
619 KB, 480x270
>>68136638
>they're much more like the OT than the prequels.
>>
>>68137052
Why are those guys so retarded looking?
>>
>>68136746
>All the characters in Empire were already developed in A New Hope (except Vader, who had no real character development in A New Hope, not that he needed it).
Yes, but the slow middle part of the movie you are complaining about is showing new sides to han & leia, showing how they act when they arent being a sarcastic asshole smuggler and bitchy action princess respectively, and of course as you mention Vaders first real character development beyond Intimidating Bad Guy happens in this movie.

>The actual chase part is dreadfully slow.
Again you seem to be measuring things by how "slow" they are. The Falcon isnt a fighter, its a freighter, its slow, its lumbering, and thats by design. In addition even fighters in the OT move significantly slower than they did in the prequels or in TFA, thats because the whole universe in terms of space combat was designed to mirror how WWI/WWII naval/aerial combat, not anime combat. Just because something doesnt satisfy your broken ADD infested brain doesnt mean its objectively bad even though I respect that you will not like it.
>See, this is the big problem: you think Star Wars, particularly Empire, is some kind of deep masterpiece. It isn't. Get over it.
People are comparing ESB to the prequels, and ESB is alot closer to 2001 than it is to the prequels, so why not?
>>
File: 1454213018030.jpg (14 KB, 218x300) Image search: [Google]
1454213018030.jpg
14 KB, 218x300
>>68137052

>see Rebels generals on /co/
>see this gif
>people actually watch this
>>
>>68135980
>sexual tension between Han and Leia, and Luke jumping over logs while Yoda prattles on about the dark side.

and vader hiring bounty hunters

and vader force choking subordinates

and vader meeting with the emperor

such selective thinking.
>>
>>68137167
>showing how they act when they arent being a sarcastic asshole smuggler and bitchy action princess respectively
Except they're a sarcastic asshole smuggler and bitchy action princess throughout the entire middle of the film.

You really don't see much of anything new from them (especially given they flirted around and Han established being interested in her in the first film). Vader, as mentioned, is the only character who gets any development in this film. And yes, it's good, but it doesn't carry the middle.

>Again you seem to be measuring things by how "slow" they are.
Yes, in saying "the middle is slow and boring" I am talking about how slow it all is. The chase itself is slow-paced and full of moments where they hide that lack any tension. The "chase" (it's really not a chase, it's a crawl and hide) is so boring, you actually start looking forward to seeing Luke meditate.

>ESB is alot closer to 2001 than it is to the prequels
Except no, it isn't. It really, really isn't.

You need to stop putting Star Wars on a pedestal, man. It was alright but it's not the greatest movies ever.
>>
File: EnergySlingshot.png (1 MB, 1175x875) Image search: [Google]
EnergySlingshot.png
1 MB, 1175x875
>>68137338
People, for serious, watch that show.

Not even the goofiest stuff. The main character, I shit you not, had a laser slingshot. And this was in the first episode.
>>
>>68137603
Oh boy! He established interest!? Well that must mean they're ready to get hitched, ring the wedding bells!

The scenes in ESB between the two are them slowly letting their guard down and coming to terms with their feelings with each other. This is called character development, whether you think its boring or not.

>You need to stop putting Star Wars on a pedestal, man. It was alright but it's not the greatest movies ever.
I dont put it on a pedestal, and its not the greatest movie ever, why do you think this is news?
>>
>>68137052

how do beams of light create lift by spinning?

>so fucking dumb
>>
>>68137773
>He established interest
Yep, meaning the romance started with A New Hope, which means you're really not getting anything new there.

>The scenes in ESB between the two are them slowly letting their guard down
Except Han never really does, and Leia only really does for a brief moment (which isn't that major, since she's a character who obviously cares about others).

>This is called character development
The characters were already developed, though.

If you were to describe the personalities Han, Leia, or Luke, you'd be describing all things that were in A New Hope. There's no new character development in Empire (outside with Vader). You just get more of what already existed.

A New Hope also managed to do its new, never-before-seen character development while also having interesting things happen. For example, the character development scenes that absolutely defines Leia as a character happens in the middle of an exciting action sequence in A New Hope.

Simply put, you can't applaud Empire for developing characters that were already developed in A New Hope (which did the development better).

>I dont put it on a pedestal
No, you just pretend it's a lot better than it is and compare it to films they couldn't possibly stand up to (especially your beloved Empire).
>>
>>68137773
What new things do we learn about Han in Empire that weren't in A New Hope? That he has a soft side? No, that was in A New Hope, when he returns to save Luke. That he has a thing for Leia? Again, that was in A New Hope. That he's not always right? Whoops, no, that's in A New Hope, too. I guess we learn that Han has a black friend. That's almost kind of something, I guess.

For all the "great character development" Empire has, you sure don't learn much of anything new about the characters.
>>
>>68130340
>implying Yoda shouldn't use lightsaber not because he's a pacifict but cuz you think so muh OT XD
>implying Sheev should be force user only like Yoda
>muh OT
PT fights are better
>>
>>68134030
From Windu's point of view those jedis were not newfags at least, BUT from a Sheev's point of view they were EZ.
>>
>>68138371
True. Yoda is a fucking Jedi. Jedi use lightsabers.

The whole fucking point to Yoda was "don't judge him because he looks weak" and yet you do that when you say he "can't" use a fucking ass lightsaber like it isn't his goddamnn birthright as Jedi Motherfucking Master.
>>
>>68137665
>Not even the goofiest stuff. The main character, I shit you not, had a laser slingshot. And this was in the first episode.

why not just give him a blaster?
>>
>>68138848
cuz blaster is random
>>
I can't believe people here defend the prequels. those movies are objective garbage.
>>
>>68138848
He's 12 or something. Giving a little kid a gun would be messed up. So the obvious solution of making him older like maybe Luke's age was taken no wait they went with a slingshot because they're dumb.

Eventually, he makes a lightsaber that shoots sort of like a gun, but it only stuns people.
>>
>>68133903
> lol first post is above average so I can post le fpbp again xd

I'm starting to hate this meme
>>
>>68139587
>complains about memes
>does the "le" meme
>does the "xd" meme
Go away.
>>
>>68138223
>character development is by default better in action sequences
wut?

>no new character development in ESB for han and leia
just retarded, we learn about how Han acts around old friends and how he acts when hes trying to get a girl, and hes in a new role that he doesnt take at all in the first movie

>Han never acts differently in ESB
he never does anything in A New Hope that is out of character for a stereotypical materialist smuggler except when he comes back and saves Luke's ass, in ESB he is shown coming to terms with the changes in his life, including being a responsible member of the rebellion and becoming involved with Leia

>romance started in A New Hope
romance doesnt start when someone notices they like someone, there is zero romance in ANH aside from Han mentioning he may like her in the same breath he mentions he might also want to kill her

>characters are "already developed" and thus no further character development can occur
riiiight
>>
>>68130060
Because it's in the prequels.
Seriously aside from the visual stuff (ship, robot, costume designs, clone troopers, etc) everything is awful.
>the story
>lines
>midichlorians
>50s diner
>virgin birth
>Jar Jar
>kid Anikin
>Elected princesses that serve like 4 years and then still hold some governmental role
>Obi Wan being in his 30s then being an old man 15 years later in IV
>Jedi being a massive group and apart of the government then no one believing in the force 15 years later
>sand

>>68130340
My feelings exactly.
>>
>>68133161
>the interwebs
Holy shit, why don't you spell the "teh" while you're at it you faggot.
>>
>>68140164
>Seriously aside from the visual stuff (ship, robot, costume designs, clone troopers, etc) everything is awful.
And the music. Don't forget the music.

I would argue that score was actually much better utilized than in the OT.
>>
>>68140424
was there anything aside from the duel of the fates? I cant even remember the rest of the music
>>
I actually liked this one there was a moment where they start jist force fighting eqch other as the characters should be and it had more tension than the anakin fight
>>
>>68139758
>wut?
Character development is more interesting when other things are also going on. When you don't have other shit going on, you wind up with boring sequences like in Empire or in Attack of the Clones or in Revenge of the Sith. Scenes where characters stand around and talk, or walk and talk, or sit and talk. It's fucking boring, and Empire is just as guilty of that shit.

>we learn how Han acts around old friends
Chewbacca wasn't his old friend in A New Hope? Dude, you're really reaching to come up with anything new and failing.

>how he acts when hes trying to get a girl
We see him flirt in A New Hope.

>and hes in a new role
A "new role" meaning "smuggler who wants out of the rebellion." Wait, whoops, A New Hope.

>in ESB he is shown coming to terms with the changes in his life
It really doesn't, though. His plan is literally to go finally pay off his debts, which gets derailed.

>becoming involved with Leia
They aren't a couple in Empire.

>zero romance in ANH
Except for them flirting.

>riiiight
Yes, it's right. The characters were already developed. Everything you've stated was something we'd already seen. As I've said, we're not getting anything new out of these characters. A New Hope did it first and better.

I know you've been told Empire is the greatest ever, but it's not. You were lied to. Santa isn't real. Empire is a shitty sequel. Learn to deal with it. This is your last (You).
>>
>>68140763
>Chewbacca wasn't his old friend in A New Hope? Dude, you're really reaching to come up with anything new and failing.
He means Lando, fag

>We see him flirt in A New Hope.
Not at really. For the most part Han hates Leah because she comes across as a total bitch in IV.
In her defense she was in a cell occasionally being tortured and also saw her planet get blown up.
Most audience probably assumed Leah would be with Luke
>>
>>68130060 Because you hate fun Anon... and live with your Mom.
>>
>>68133974
How much did they make from the first movie alone on theater tickets? 1.1 billion? Add merch, 3 more movies, merch on top of those movies. Maybe 10 billion?
>>
>>68134242
Based Mace didnt even need anyone else besides himself as we clearly see, he didnt expect Anakin to betray him.
>>
>>68137052
someone should post this on that black scientist's twitter
>>
>>68140763
>Character development is more interesting when other things are also going on.
Other things are going on, just because there arent lasers on screen RIGHT NOW doesnt mean nothing is happening. The cardinal sin of the prequels wasnt that they had scenes without action in them, its because those scenes were shit. The dialog was shit, the cinematography was shit, the acting was shit, the greater plot was shit, and the characters was shit so we didnt care about their development in the first place.

>We see him flirt in A New Hope.
Literally no. He does not.

>A "new role" meaning "smuggler who wants out of the rebellion." Wait, whoops, A New Hope.
But thats wrong. First in A New Hope he was never in the rebellion in the first place, second in ESB he didnt WANT to leave the rebellion, he HAD to because bounty hunters were chasing his ass due to his past life. The reason he was leaving was to fix that and pay off his debtors, not because he WANTED to leave.

>They aren't a couple in Empire.
They are becoming a couple, thats the whole point of half the movie and character development. By the end of the movie Leia has admitted she loves him, and they are effectively a couple at that point.

>Except for them flirting.
No.

>Chewbacca wasn't his old friend in A New Hope? Dude, you're really reaching to come up with anything new and failing.
Lando. Sorry but Chewbacca is treated as a murderous dog with some understanding of english at best.

>This is your last (You).
I hope so, its embarrassing how many points you can miss and how badly you can misremember the movies. I mean I havent seen them in years either but shit if you dont remember anything at all stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>68131282

I think flashiness could be done well if there was actual character buildup. The Duel of the Fates from episode 1 would have been much better if Maul had been an actual villain and Qui Gon had his character established better.

After all, the Matrix had some crazy acrobatics in their fight scenes, and almost every one of them was god-tier. While some duels had excessive flashiness, (Which I think can be pinned on Lucas hiring a dance instructor to choreograph the fight scenes rather than actual martial artist) emotional investment in the characters would have made a world of difference.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.