[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the hype has passed, what do you think of The Martian?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: martian-gallery3-gallery-image.jpg (267 KB, 2000x1076) Image search: [Google]
martian-gallery3-gallery-image.jpg
267 KB, 2000x1076
Now that the hype has passed, what do you think of The Martian?
>>
>>68088408

The Martian is to Prometheus, what Avengers is to BvS.

>Quip
>Quip
>pop song
>Quip
>pop song
>Quip
>>
>>68088408
I was going to say disappointing, but the book is already mediocre so...
>>
>>68088408
Fun seeing in theaters because the effects were done really well

The plot and writing were so shit though. His gay little one liners and jokes made me roll my eyes right out of their fucking sockets
>>
>>68088630
Prometheus and BvS are shit, yes. Boring shit to be more precise.
>>
It was fucking awful.
>decent visuals (nowhere near Interstellar for example)
>the most annoying main character ever
>lol major problem but I solved it cuz science and shit
>>
>>68088825

Glad we agree quipper.
>>
Why didn't Matt Damon's character have a wife or gf back on Earth? They didn't even show his parents.
>>
>>68088630
Prometheus and BvS are both films that try 210% to be too smart4u and end up failing miserably. There's no actual substance to hold up how stuck up they are about trying to think they're smart.
>>
>>68088955

For you.

Both Prometheus and BvS have alot of depth and great themes. Acting, casting and other factors aside, both films are highly entertaining and fun to watch. Especially if you are a fan of the Alien franchise and batman.

I hear Superman purists werent too happy.

So all in all my dear quipper, you have no argument.
>>
Too dark setting for a quirky Whedonesque script. Should've either gone with a full-on psychological thriller/horror drama or a light-hearted semi-comedy with a character in a less stressful situation.
>>
the one time i laughed out loud was when ned stark appeard on screen saying honorable things
>>
>>68088408
It was bad,you people have problems.
>>
>>68088992
>acting
>casting

there's about 70% of what makes up a film. Films aren't just moving pictures that you marvel at how they made the light play. Films have to have substance. Meaningful stories, powerful acting, actors that fit the role they play, Cohesive Storytelling.

Snyder can make a scene look pretty but he shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near a script.
>>
>>68089093

>says that acting is important
>blames the director

When were you diagnosed?
>>
>>68088992
You sound like one of those pedantic morons eager to drink "granny's peach tea" with a smile is his face.
And it's ok, drink it until the last drop, but don't brag about it, everyone else knows is piss.
>>
>>68089197

>using BvS imagery unironically while trying to ad hominem his way out of the embarrassment that is his "argument"

Its ok...
>>
>>68088408
An absolute piece of shit.

>bad comedy
>no suspense
>Matt's character was never in any real danger
>duct tape
>>
>>68088408
>storms on Mars only lift large amounts of thin dust, but certainly not a man
>unrealistic gravity. He should walk pretty much like moon astronauts
>hole sealed with coagulaed blood... bullshit.
>this long exposition to space radiations should have caused cancer
>you can't leave Mars with an opened rocket, the air molecules will still burn you at that speed
>you can't play Iron Man and allah snackbar in space, that's suicide, much less controlling your speed and trajectory

Sorry, I can't watch urrealistic sci-fi unless it's assumed, like capeshit do.
>>
>>68089228
You are quoting the wrong guy moron, it's my first post in this thread. I don't need more to wreck you.
>>
>>68088408
atrocious humor and writing, great visuals, solid acting. overall 5/10
>>
>>68088408
It's alright, not deserving of the hate that /tv/ gives it.

The script is pretty bad but overall it was really well produced and interesting.
>>
>>68088408
I -think- Scott's adaptation is ambiguously critical of the story's enthusiastic optimism and pop-science.
>>
File: Apply Yourself.jpg (27 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
Apply Yourself.jpg
27 KB, 620x350
>>68089236
>duct tape
>not rendering things unbroken

Upper middle class pansy who doesn't get his hands dirty detected.
>>
I thought it was good, but I'm not much of a memester.
>>
>>68089282

Are you 12?
>>
>>68089318
How so?

Because if that were the case he sure fooled a lot of people
>>
>>68089337
It's not about how useful duct tape is. It's a shoehorned trope that you can discuss with your coworkers at the water cooler the next day.

>Dude you should totally watch The Martian, he uses duct tape to fix shit! It's so fucking funny, it's just like us real people with real problems!

It's called pandering and the movie is chock full of it. Another example: When they out of the blue pull some Lord of the Rings references out their asses just because Sean Bean is there and the audience is supposed to "nerdgasm" like they're in on some inside joke that the actors don't know about. What a cringeworthy film.
>>
>>68089511
You sound comically bitter - poor special snowflake :^)
>>
>>68089511
I think it demonstrated how out of touch nerds are with reality. Matt Damon is dying on Mars while mission control starts picking LoTR codenames for themselves.
>>
Overrated as fuck.
>>
They scienced the shit out of it
>>
>>68089711
please do not even say that... this movie has literally the worst memes ever, right behind DKR
>>
>>68088408
DUDE
SCIENCE THE SHIT OUT OF THIS
LMAO
>>
>>68088408
One of the great films of 2Ks !!!
>>
I only knew there was MATT DAMON in it, didn't know anything else about it before seeing it.
It was very enjoyable. Somewhat forgettable perhaps but way better than the Sandra Bullock one which was one bullshit solution after another bullshit problem.
Interstellar was maybe good but a painful experience to go through.

Best space movie in recent years. I heard later on that the book author scienced the shit out of the internet to make it as real as possible.
>>
>>68088408
It was an entertaining feel good movie which is why edgy faggots on /tv/ hate on it.
>>
>>68089129
Seriously? You're not actually that stupid are you?
>>
>>68089511
The LoTR reference was in the novel as well, just so you know.
>>
It was OK. It was not what I expected at all and was just a comedy flick in space.
>>
Bad in my honest opinion

>Fails to deliver quirky vibes
>Earth storyline is 100% uninteresting
>Introduces vital science nigger mid-story - script-wise it's like saying: we got a problem, let's pull the solution out of our asses
>Uses same actors from Interstellar to ride that Interstellar train
>Uninteresting characters
>Feels like it caters to youth "LMAO space pop XD"
>VERY PREDICTABLE PLOT, if you did not predict that ending you're an idiot
>Too much focus on earth, which rips away the feeling of being alone and lost in space

I feel like the movie lacks originality. Very easy to say this movie is Cast Away in space for example.
>>
>>68093280
This movie has nothing on Cast Away.
>>
>>68093354
I didn't mean that. What I meant is that it attempts to be Cast Away in space, and fails miserably to be so.
>>
>>68088408
It was adapted from a fluff novel that was as enjoyable as it was disposable.

Visually it was okay but the movie itself, like the book, you watch and forget. You can read the book in an afternoon, have a chuckle or two as you read it and then forget you ever read it. I didn't hate the movie but it's certainly not something that resonates with you.

But honestly, I don't think it was supposed to. I firmly believe that it was just supposed to be an enjoyable movie-going experience and if that's the measurement...I liked it. Maybe the trailers or whatever tricked people into thinking it was some kind of epic space movie with some deep meaning...but the book never was and the movie adhered to it.
>>
Was decent but happened to be exist a couple months after Interstellar, which was similar (space, 3 or 4 actors acted in both, etc) but far superior
>>
one of the better space movies in last the century
>>
Redditcore
>>
>>68093606
>>68093666
>>68092995

Fuck no. Go away Reddit.
>>
>>68088408
My girlfriend loved it but I thought it was overall pretty boring and way too convenient for the main character so there was no suspense
>>
>>68093501
Pretty much this. I don't understand why /tv/ acts all offended that it wasn't serious hard science fiction.
>>
the movie was extremely mediocre and it was just a more scientific version of red planet with val kilmer
>>
How did it get nominated for best picture?
>>
It was okay and I had fun with it, the plot was average and some of the dialogue was cringy though. I'd give it a 7/10.
>inb4 reddit
>>
>>68094085
>It was okay
>7/10
5 should mean average
>>
THERE'S A STAAAARMAAAN
WAITING IN THE SKY
>>
>>68088408

It's a series of 100% implausible actions.

Can't enjoy a movie when your brain is screaming "NO" during the entire ride.
>>
>>68093807
>way too convenient for the main character so there was no suspense
This. I still enjoyed it, but I was very aware of how easy it seemed to be for the character
>>
>>68094107
Do you even have fun?
>>
HOW DID THE DIRECTOR OF FUCKING NASA NOT KNOW WHAT A GRAVITY ASSIST WAS.

HOW
O
W
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.