[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did female empowerment in movies start to annoy you? When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: download (8).jpg (8 KB, 202x250) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
8 KB, 202x250
When did female empowerment in movies start to annoy you? When did it become wrong to show a woman being vulnerable like an actual human being?
>>
>Who was Leia
>>
>>68086242
It doesn't annoy me, I just know there's a difference between empowerment and overpowered characters.
>>
When I realized I could kill Daisy Ridley with one punch and I only weigh 145 pounds.
>>
It doesnt bother me as long as its done right

Rey is shit
Jyn is shit
Faora was good
>>
>>68086312
This

Women just shouldn't be main characters. They are both physically and intellectually inferior to men
>>
>>68086242
>When did female empowerment in movies start to annoy you?
when the subtlety left and it was forced down our throats instead
>When did it become wrong to show a woman being vulnerable like an actual human being?
If anything that bitch is invulnerable, there was not one singly point in the movie when I thought she wasn't gonna make it, even after being captured and dragged to colon of the first order's operations she literally just walked right out of there
>>
>>68086242
When it became the focus of movies.

There's a noticeable difference between an underdog story like in million dollar baby, or a character who happens to be female and a "female empowerment" movie where it's a self insert fantasy.

>>68086266
Leia has nothing to do with "empowerment".
>>
>>68086330
>Women just shouldn't be main characters.

Surely you mean in action films.
>>
>>68086327
Faora was great.

Thankful woman as villains haven't been corrupted by this bullshit, just protagonists
>>
>>68086385
what was the last movie where a female protagonist contributed to the story where she wasn't strictly talking about other men (uniquely feminine in role) when she could have rather just been a man?
>>
>>68086367
>Leia has nothing to do with "empowerment".
yes she does, she was a strong female character in a time when women were still struggling for actual equality in terms of equal representations and pay and shit

her slave girl outfit was empowering and she choked the fuck out of her captor while wearing it

>>68086385
star wars is an action film now
>>
>>68086327
>>68086411
>Faora
did she even have a line? That's probably why she was so great. Once you give a woman a single line of dialogue, they just devolve into shit characters.
>>
>>68086385

Leia was a strong female character who could look after herself just like Ray. You're just being a little pol tard who can't handle the fact that women can be strong characters.

Nobody gave a shit back when characters like Leia were shown as strong and independent but suddenly today virgins all over the place lose their shit over the idea of it, this world is fucked.
>>
>>68086429
But not in the sense OP is talking about. There's no scenes where characters gush over how strong and smart she is. She also never has any sense where she's beating up guys twice her size or any shit. She's simply a competent female character.

>>68086433
She did, she taunts superman and the military guys quite a bit and some shit between her and Zod.
>>
>>68086433

She had multiple lines and the delivering and acting was great and wasnt cringy.

I wont lie, rey was cute when she put the helmet on, but her character and its development is shit.

Jyn is was annoying from the moment she appeared in the trailer and the " i rebel" was a fucking cringe.

Its gonna be another movie where the evil guy is written better and more likeable.
>>
>>68086502
>he's simply a competent female character.
which is the point of a strong female role
showing a character that beats up silly boys while being a super-genius nuclear technician and pilot on the side is NOT a strong female role

rey beating up those thugs at the start of ep 7 was ridiculous and all my female friends agree, they happily accept the fact that even weak guys would be able to overpower them and beat the shit out of them

it's why me and my guy friends fucking walk them home when it's late at night

rey would have been beaten, mugged and probably raped by those goons but this is a Disney movie now so she's effectively one of the avengers

star wars got MARVELED
>>
So, are the leads in all the planned Star Wars movies going to be anything apart from white males, because muh diversity?
>>
>I rebel
How does anyone take that line seriously?
>>
>>68086449
You can look after yourself and still be overwhelmed. Leia was caught by Imperial troopers when they stunted her, in Bespin when going with Han and in Jabba's Palace when she freed Han.In all those situations you would need someone to help you out even if you have a dick.
Rey was caught by Kylo Ren and minutes later you see her going out by her own fucking foot.How come she can do it and Leia don't if the latter would be more able to use the Force (and she also heard about it).
>>
>>68086593
>rey would have been beaten, mugged and probably raped by those goons

Except it's pretty fucking obvious that there's a lot more to her background than we are shown. Likely training. Probably related to Luke's Jedi temple.

It's true that a normal woman would have been beaten by those goons. It's also clear that Rey is meant to be exceptional. Why is that unacceptable to you?
>>
idc but why do they cast such pussies?
>>
>>68086242

Probably around the same time SJWs came out of their hugbox on tumblr and start shitting everything with the inane click bait and psudo-trolling.

To answer the other question once movie executives started listing to said nonsense from the regressive crowd.
>>
>>68086652
See >>68086593

this is an extension to the avengers movies now, get ready for kickass quips and one liners for two and a half hours straight
>>
>Alien
>>
>durr how could a strong force sensitive girl beat up some random thugs, i cant believe this

niggers do you even star wars
>>
>>68086669
It's also clear that Rey is meant to be exceptional. Why is that unacceptable to you?
because luke became exceptional too but it didn't stop him getting fucked up by tusken raiders and nearly murdered in a dingy bar in the first half hour of the film

plus it took him years of experience and training to achieve the level of competence that rey showed within the space of a week

it's shit writing and she's a terrible character and you're just an apologist because you think it wascute when she put on the helmet and ate like a slob

you'e no better than the people who used to yell 'OMG, JENNEFER LAWRENCE IS JUST LIKE US'
>>
>>68086669
also
>
Except it's pretty fucking obvious that there's a lot more to her background than we are shown. Likely training. Probably related to Luke's Jedi temple.
stop making shit up you fucking autist

you really expect me to fill in the fucking plotholes with my imagination while the fucking writers try to undo the damage to the inconsistent script that JJ fucking farted out?

get to fuck you apologist shill
>>
>>68086663
>Rey was caught by Kylo Ren and then escapes easily.

God damn, I forgot how damn aggravating this was. Especially when Kylo found out that she was powerful force user. Any villain worth half is salt would have put that bitch in some supermax cell and keep her sedated with some future drugs.
>>
When the "empowered women" because petite, skinny little girls throwing around men 2 or 3 times their size and being flawless mary sues.

Everyone likes Ripley, Sarah Connor in T2 and so on. It's not about hating female protags it's about hating shitty casting.
>>
>>68086789
>it's about hating shitty writing and directors

the casting is fine. the scripts are ass. and the director should know better,
>>
>>68086739

As I said, it's pretty obvious that her past is related to Luke's jedi school.

Why do you assume she hasn't been trained? Her talents, nebulous past, and connection to Kylo certainly seem to imply it.

But, that's not what you choose to think because you're an angry misogynist and you want something to stamp your feet about.
>>
File: 1449709939295.jpg (70 KB, 536x800) Image search: [Google]
1449709939295.jpg
70 KB, 536x800
>>68086242

>When did it become wrong to show a woman being vulnerable

They feel vulnerable a lot, mate. The world isn't populated exclusively by kino-loving memelords like you; there are some genuine problems out there.

I don't care if they have a few Hollywood films. This is all philistine bullshit at the end of the day. Either enjoy it or don't - but don't do feeling genuine emotions over philistine shit.
>>
>>68086669
>Except it's pretty fucking obvious that there's a lot more to her background than we are shown. Likely training. Probably related to Luke's Jedi temple.

Well, we assume so - here's hoping the things we had to make up in our heads to make her character non-shit turn out to be canon.
>>
>>68086770
>you really expect me to fill in the fucking plotholes with my imagination

Yes. It's what non-concrete thinkers call "reading between the lines" and not needing to have things spelled out for them like a fucking robot.
>>
>>68086242

Never because I'm not a weak-minded, beta faggot.
>>
>>68086785
Leia is the sister of Luke and she knows about the force, why couldn't she had convince a stormtrooper to let her out?
Ah, that's right you need to be trained to use the fucking force. Luke didn't pull out the mind trick until the third film and Rey (who just knew she was a Force user and didn't have a trainer) just managed to learn that trick by her own.
>>
>>68086826
onne thing I really hate about this movie is that there is so much backstory that they should have just started back then instead.
>>
>>68086824
The casting isn't fine, I can't take Rey or the girl from Rogue One seriously they looks like 16 year old schoolgirls and have sticks for arms.
>>
really can't pinpoint it: I hated Xena, but I didn't hate it nearly as much as seeing some skinny detective beat up grown man
>>
>>68086846
>reading between the lines"
there's a difference between that and making excuses for the film.
>>
>>68086894

There's plenty that they show you IN THE FILM that suggests it.

Certainly enough to make a smarter person than you question their assumptions.
>>
>>68086849

>Never because I'm not a weak-minded, beta faggot.

This.

Anyone seriously upset about this is living vicariously through popcorn movies too much.

Go and pick up a fucking book.
>>
>>68086871
you can't take them seriously because the characters are written so stupidly. if we see them getting their ass handed to them and learn to grow over time, it would make sense. Ripley is a twig yet wee see her as a bad ass by the time Alien 3 comes along. its why so many people hated the ending.
>>
>>68086858

Yeah, the script is terrible rewrite of a new hope. Cuz can't have the heroine rescued by some man in current year.
>>
>>68086916
it does sure , but we assume it for her only because we want to know how she relates to everyone else. Ren was the one training but they never mention if she was. we assume it tho, but it doesn't mean thats what was the intent.
>>
Anything that's forced annoys me so I simply think 'When did I start losing interest in this shit?' and I have my answer.
>>
>>68086922
>book
you mean the thing people had before movies and actually invest their thoughts and emotions to?
>>
File: outlander.jpg (50 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
outlander.jpg
50 KB, 800x450
>>68086242
It's often annoying, but it depends on a character.

Rey was ridiculous and iRebel will probably be too. These characters are basically power fantasies for women and there is nothing wrong with that, but they are both out of place, and out of target group in Star Wars.

I wish kikewood would start depicting female characters realistically, and not "muh strong woman who can beat three men by herself".

Pic related, strong female character done right.
>>
>>68086449
Maybe if these movies with women in weren't ABOUT the fact that it has a female lead, and were more about the character or the story or something, they wouldn't get so much criticism for being shit ideas.

WOW LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE films are always shit. The "vision" is already 90% realised at the premise/casting stage of the production. Everything else is an afterthought that exists to use up the budget on a platform for the agenda. To illustrate:

Movies ABOUT having a female main character(s):
GI Jane
Karate Kid 4
Fury Road
The All-Female Ghostbusters

Movies that HAPPEN TO HAVE a female main character(s):
Gravity
Run Lola Run
Million Dollar Baby
Alien

See the difference?

There are good films that happen to address feminist issues, like Thelma and Louise, but the feminism isn't shoe-horned in, it's an integral part of the story. You could say the same about GI Jane, but (from what I remember) that movie had feminism as the entire premise, not as part of a wider human story.
>>
>>68086971

Yes.

Don't believe the lies: they still exist.
>>
It's always hilarious that the same people that vehemently hate MCU movies also have to go to every Star Wars thread to hate on VII
>>
>>68086242
>"There are WOMEN in Star Wars BAWWWWWWWWWWW!"
lol
>>
>>68087040
I hate Rey for the same reason I hate Superman.

I can't comment on iRebel yet.
>>
>>68087019
Fury Road wouldn't work if she wasn't a female or if the movie wasn't about her being a female though. She also loses to Max who is out of his mind.

This is just highlights a problem that /tv/ has with female characters. There is nothing wrong with having "woman in man's world" as a theme. It's only when you portray that unrealistically that it becomes bad.
>>
>>68087040

more like

>young girls watch this shit and believe that they can defend themselves physically in dangerous situations

my little sister was raped and it was really bad. she talks about how fucked up movies/tv/media is and it brainwashes them. so basically fuck you, lefty cunt. i'm sure you're pro-refugee also.
>>
>>68086242
They can make badass, interesting, but still lovable female leads without alienating the male fanbase. Just look at Ripley, Sarah Connor, The Bride, Clarice, Xena. All they need is to make them honest. No hidden political agenda like Rey, or the upcoming Jyn. Diversity for the sake of diversity is counterproductive.
>>
File: leftists.png (89 KB, 610x525) Image search: [Google]
leftists.png
89 KB, 610x525
>>68087040
>>
>>68086449
>Leia was a strong female character who could look after herself just like Ray

>I don't need your help Obi Wan I can look after myself.

classic line
>>
File: 1240111844338.jpg (39 KB, 535x340) Image search: [Google]
1240111844338.jpg
39 KB, 535x340
>>68086242
When they started making them as strong or stronger than men, for no good reason other than "look how progressive this is!".

Vasquez in Aliens carried a smart gun and acted tough as shit, yet it worked. Why? Because she actually has the body of a man and looks intimidating, the same with Xena and Ripley.

When you get little soft armed Tumblrinas who are strong because "it's empowering!" then it just becomes too fictional even for something like Star Wars.
>>
I can guarantee you that anyone that hates Jyn didn't watch Two Nights One Day
>>
File: 8eb.jpg (22 KB, 321x365) Image search: [Google]
8eb.jpg
22 KB, 321x365
>>68086266
If Leia had this empowering bullshit on her, she'd have broken out of the cell in the Death Star and destroyed the entire station on her own, while fucking Chewy at the end because "it's progressive!".
>>
>>68087091

>Just look at Ripley, Sarah Connor, The Bride, Clarice, Xena.

if anything i think this speaks to how rare it is to find female actors with enough natural magnetism on screen to pull it off.

i don't know if there will ever be another woman who will come across as badass as weaver in 'aliens'. even the most r9k of guys wouldn't be so quick to write off her role. it was a fucking masterclass in how it should be done.
>>
>>68087113
>you're not my only hope Bi Wan. I give myself hope because I don't need no man giving me hope. I am a complete woman all by myself.

Then the Empire has already won.
>>
OH GREAT, THE BLU RAY IS OUT SO ALL THE NEETS WHO WERE TOO AUTISTIC TO LEAVE THEIR BASEMENTS AND TENDIES BEHIND TO SEE IT IN THEATERS CAN NOW GRACE US WITH THEIR VALUABLE OPINIONS
>>
>>68087328
this

why do we accept the opinions of basement dwellers over people with jobs and girlfriends who are probably well-adjusted?
>>
>>68087328
>>68087343
Get a room, you two
>>
>>68086827
>They feel vulnerable a lot, mate
I didn't say feel, I said show.
>>
>>68086593
Of all the shit Rey did, beating up the thugs was the less ridiculous.
>>
>>68086242

There's an unspoken rule that so called "strong" women must be totally cunty and absolutely perfect in every way.

Women are basically delusional, and frequently are oblivious to their own flaws, hence the reason they must be portrayed in films as being totally perfect.

The good news is that Disney has killed the real cash cow. Young boys are losing interest in Star Wars, specifically the toys and merchandise. Ironically just as women want strong female leads, young men also want strong make leads. Who'da think it?
>>
>Poe will never be the protagonist of the Disney trilogy
>An adventurous, dashing male rogue will never be the protagonist of Rogue One

It's weird they're even doing this. Judging by the fact that their are no Rey toys, why not just make more male protagonists instead?
>>
>>68088470
Disney has never been able to do strong make leads. I don't know what the problem is but they can't seem to pull it off.

Probably too many gays and wimpy Jewish guys working at the company.
>>
>>68088542
I think Ben Gates from National Treasure is really the only strong male lead from Disney I can think of.
>>
>>68086242
right around when writers started writing female characters with female empowerment in mind instead of just writing good characters. if making petty real-world political statements is your priority when writing a character, (1) you're probably not that bright and it shows in the quality of your writing and (2) that just makes for shitty, shallow characters regardless
>>
i want to see an R rated star wars where rey gets assraped by 17 tentacle-cocks. i just can't take this shit seriously when a 5ft7, 119lbs woman doesn't get hurt or raped once in the whole movie
>>
Just watched that stupid Jurassic world, haha stronk independent womyn haha he offered his hand and she ran away haha she saved him and she doesn't need to be saved haha not forced at all and full of jokes
>>
>>68086242
Don't know about Empowerment but I do know Mary Sue. This little Ms maRey Sue was by far the most overpowered female character I have ever seen.

>>68086266
Leia was any but a Mary Sue. In fact, she was a heroine done right.

>>68086449
No, Leia was nothing like maRey Sue. And that's because maRey Sue needed no one and could into everything herself. Leia, LIKE EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN THE CLASSIC SERIES, needed some one else to help her shine. maRey Sue never ever needed anyone and everytime she ended up in a tiff lead to her doing something even more amazing than the last to get out of it.

>>68086723
yes because if there's anything we've seen it is characters extraordinarily strong in the force beat up random thugs. Only Luke never did, did he? In fact they cleaned his clock on every occasion, unlike maRey Sue though.

Because if there's anything we've seen in the mythology up until now its 4 year old younglings not having to practice for well over ten years and then go on to defeat, quite easily force masters. yup, we've seen it probably a dozen times.
IN FACT, When Anakin attacked the temple, those younglings not only beat him soundly, but one of them morphed into him, cause when you're 4 you're bad ass and stuff.
>>
>>68086789
No, Sarah Conner went full Military when she wen to live in Mexico. maRey Sue's all powerful for no reason. Can that shit.

>>68086826
Yes, because those younglings sure soundly defeated Anakin and all those clone troopers didn't they. We were in theaters yelling, "Get 'em good you little buggers."
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.