[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://polygraph.cool/films/index.h tml Dialogue from 2000 screenplays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: gender parity.png (32 KB, 966x615) Image search: [Google]
gender parity.png
32 KB, 966x615
http://polygraph.cool/films/index.html

Dialogue from 2000 screenplays broken down by gender and age.

Misogynists absolutely empirically blown the fuck out.

>Rogue One has ANOTHER female lead? #groanzone
>>
Know any good films about guys getting raped in prison?
>>
>>68084541

>you can't make what ever you want anymore, it has to fit the criteria of my political agenda

>If you don't we will employ tear down tactics like brown coats but we totally are not fascist
>>
>>68084627
>it's a coincidence that nearly 80% of all movies have women saying less than half the lines
>this isn't a problem at all, the real problem is the rising popularity of films with female protags
Congrats on your white penis?
>>
>>68084541
In all seriousness though, a movie where mostly women are the driving force behind the resolution wouldn't be believable.
If anyone has that story about that all female magazine that never happened because none of them could agree on anything, post it.
>>
>>68084541
Look at how close to a 50-50 split Commando is though.
>>
>>68084612
Guardians of the Galaxy
>>
>>68084739
this is a movie about space magic and lasers, no one cares about realism.
>>
>>68084541
Do you think that affirmative action is the answer?
>>
File: 1437880914080.jpg (64 KB, 673x458) Image search: [Google]
1437880914080.jpg
64 KB, 673x458
>>68085476
No. I think the free market will fix it xDD society will course correct. I think it is already. Studios will react to changing social attitudes like they always have. Social media for the past half a decade has been taking note of not just the imbalances in representation in media, but also the importance of it. Since I don't think quality is negatively impacted by proportional representation, I support that we're moving towards that.

And I think last one is /tv/'s major gripe, not that they necessarily hate women, but that they hate their increasing presence in film because they percieve the difference between ordinary storytelling and gender proportional storytelling as being to the detriment of storytelling. The obvious point to raise in support of that would be that there are lots of stories that can't be told while also fabricating roles for women. And true as that is, you really need to ask whether the scale has to be tipped so far in favour of men to achieve that goal.

But you can't support affirmative actions like a quota system or boycotting non-compliant studios because most people would react against it and that would just undermine the entire purpose.
>>
>>68085915
I think you are putting words into anons mouth Anne, no rational person believes that equal representation of genders is a bad thing.

Questions such as does the gender of a character matter? Can all the characters have their gender swapped? Are really more applicable on a film-by-film basis, which raises the question, why would some films require male or female characters?

Is it filmmakers? Or are they pandering to the public?
>>
>>68084612
American History X
>>
>>68085915
>ocial media for the past half a decade has been taking note of not just the imbalances in representation in media, but also the importance of it.
What importance?
>>
>80% shit films

opinion discarded
>>
>>68084541
>The Piano doesn't have gender parity
>Was made by a feminist

Isn't that a little suspicious?
>>
>>68084541
The flaw of this metric is that it doesn't take into account WHAT is being said. You could make a movie about how raping women to death is a good thing but it'd appear as 'feminist' in op's statistic even if all the women's lines were about how much they enjoy being abused.
>>
>film made for boys and manchildren
>keep casting female leads

dropped
>>
>>68084541
>2000 screenplays
>started at 8000

Gee I wonder what criteria they used to whittle it down?
>>
File: kid.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
kid.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>68084541
>>
>>68086564
I'm no expert but I've read that seeing people "like you" in the media products you're exposed to growing up with is important to developing a healthy sense of identity.
Also most people prefer media that contains people they can identify with because most people watch movies for fun and it's easier to enjoy movies with relatable characters.
I wouldn't really know whether that's true because I'm a fucking white male.
>>68087989
This is a mistake that people also make in criticising the Blechdel test. It's not really there to break films down on a case by case basis so you can say, for instance, "aha! only 42% of the lines were said by women therefore this is sexist", or "this movie passes the blechdel test therefore it's not sexist". You're meant to just take a wide view of the subject matter and note how, for what is a pretty fair and simple test, the overwhelming majority of films flatly fail it.
>>
Women don't really do anything interesting

All through history men have been kicking ass and forging empires while the women stayed home and raised the children and cooked meals because physiologically that's all they could do

To do a film about real life or fiction, a man as the lead lets you do a whole lot more. Women come off as seeming unrealistic unless the setting is unrealistic deliberately, like say the Matrix. Women fighting there works because its a simulation. A tiny woman taking on Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4 is just ridiculous, even with her kung-fu kicks she can do literally nothing to his character in reality except kick him in the balls
>>
File: back to tv cunt.png (33 KB, 613x153) Image search: [Google]
back to tv cunt.png
33 KB, 613x153
>its a anne erin thread
>>
>>68088213
>anne erin
literally who
>>
File: 1460101540421.png (504 KB, 454x600) Image search: [Google]
1460101540421.png
504 KB, 454x600
>>68088178

Leave
>>
Yes, this is indeed an inaccurate depiction of women in films... because IRL they never shut the fuck up.
>>
File: 1318063237549.jpg (37 KB, 447x482) Image search: [Google]
1318063237549.jpg
37 KB, 447x482
>male writers write about males

Oh the horror!
>>
Writers write movies. Writers are mostly male and find it easier to write males.

Studio execs choose movies. They choose movies they want to make.

Women still see movies. If they really were unhappy, they could stop going to see films. They are a huge market.

There isn't one big bad guy in the industry making it a male-dominated effort, and women are still making movies. The industry is obligated by anyone to make more female-centric films. Diversity is a GREAT thing, but you can't just say "hey, male more films with diverse casts and asian leads." They're a business that needs to make money. It doesn't owe anything to the public.
>>
>>68084541

This is absolutely sickening. Political correctness Nazis are trying to dictate art now. Literally making themselves the thought police. These people must be opposed at all costs, even if it takes acts of agression.
>>
>>68088237
I'm the oldest active tripfag on /tv/ other than krager.
>>
>>68088311

So almost as much of a fag as krager
>>
>>68088188
The problem with anachronistic history movies is that we should remember how shitty things were so that we don't regress back to that level. What kind of a retarded woman would want to promote historical revisionism that idealises something that was awful for women? That's something I don't understand. There's actual conflict to draw from if a filmmaker wants to be inclusive, putting female knights in a medieval war movie set in the balkans or something is just hokey and a cop-out.
>>
>>68088277
>>68088277
YOU'RE A FUCKING WRITE MALE
>>
>>68084612
American Me
>>
>>68088277
Well actually they owe everything to the public.
>>
>>68088390
The paying public. Which is 90% white men.
>>
>>68088311
what an awful life
>>
>>68088333
Because feminazis don't want to admit they got everything they have because of men

Men allowed them the comfortable position in society they now have, so they want to pretend they 'fought' for civilisation instead of just complaining until men gave up and gave them what they wanted to shut them up
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.