[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend other shows that have a similar vibe to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: bojack-horseman-2.jpg (261 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bojack-horseman-2.jpg
261 KB, 1280x720
Can anyone recommend other shows that have a similar vibe to Bojack Horseman?

I like the really funny comedy mixed with the well done drama. And the fact that it's a cartoon helps me when I'm high, like I am now.

Thank guys
>>
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>68082508
Is this show worth watching? I watched an episode or two a while ago and found it mildly entertaining but funny enough to compel me to keep watching.
>>
>>68082564

Not at all.
>>
>I like the really funny comedy mixed with the well done drama

It's neither of those. The secret of Bojack Horseman's success is lulling its viewers into low expectations with the first 5 episodes and then hurdling those low bars set for it by an audience who is used to watching the 13th season of Family Guy.
>>
>>68082564
It's just dumb reddit shit. If you want to watch something without any substance that morons will think is 'deep' or 'interesting' then have at it. It's no different from watching episodes of Spongebob Squarepants.
>>
Louie

Rick and Morty if you want animated
>>
>>68082564
>funny
not funny enough** sorry
>>
>>68082564
It gets a lot better towards episode 5. Like, a LOT better. The humor in the first few episodes is kind of cringey. I don't blame people for dropping it early, but I think they're missing out.
>>
>>68082564
It's awesome. Extremely well written. If you like animated comedy shows, you'll like it
>>
>>68082536
>>68082590
>hurr durr it's a cartoon so it's reddit
>>
>>68082742
t. Reddit
>>
>>68082714
I want you to defend yourself.

How is it well written? Is it well-written when otherwise intelligent & functioning characters don't realize Vince Adultman is a kid in a trenchcoat for a joke that's dragged on for over a season?

Is it well written when the way the writers showcase Bojack's unhappy childhood was have a flashback when his one-dimensional mother delivers a long rehearsed spiel that shoves the viewer's face in her horribleness without any subtly or nuance?

Is it well written when the writers make a plot possible by stupid & contrived methods like Todd winning a lawsuit because a corporation made a typo?

Seriously. How do you watch Bojack & think it's well written? Even FAMILY GUY which is EMBLEMATIC OF COMEDIC LAZINESS is often more cogent with its plots and clever in its jokes than Bojack.
>>
Moral Orel
>>
>>68082891
Holy shit dude
>>
>>68082891
You do know that in the end, this is still a comedy right?
>>
>>68082891
You don't get this show do you? Like, it just all flies over your head, doesn't it?
>>
>>68082940
my thoughts exactly
>>
File: Comic_Book_Guy_WEE.jpg (21 KB, 430x307) Image search: [Google]
Comic_Book_Guy_WEE.jpg
21 KB, 430x307
>>68082891
You guys... He's real!!!!
>>
>>68082968
If it does perhaps you can explain it to him?
>>
>>68082564
It really is. Try-hard plebs will tell you it's Reddit with no reason at all. It really started out flat and the humour was kind of clumsy, but the show has a huge quality boost from there, drama-wise. The characters are all extremely well delimited and developed.

I would say is way better than expected. It's one of my favorite cartoons.
>>
>>68082968
Great rebuttal.

There's little to understand about Bojack that's not shoved into the viewer's face. It's a show by an amateur totally lacking in the consummate nuance of a practiced showrunner. The drama is blunt to a degree of melodrama. The humor is ponderous. Compared among live-action sitcoms, it doesn't even reach the humor OR the meaningful drama of SCRUBS.

Bojack only gets a pass in the eyes of thousands of adolescent boys because its animated and therefore is compared it to the likes Family Guy & South Park. Shows that don't even TRY to shoehorn in serious bits of drama.

Ultimately, Bojack is a show of contradictions. It's about a man(horse) who has everything but happiness. Who stumbles into commercial success but fails at self-actualization. Who yearns to be liked, but hates himself.

If the show was in the hands of a professional, it might have actually turned out good.
>>
>>68083393
you lost all your credibility when you didn't understand the vincent adultman joke
>>
>>68082891
How do you get anything done if you're this butt hurt about a guy liking a cartoon
>>
>>68083393
Why do I picture this guy's voice sounding like Joe Gran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU
>>
>>68082891
Did Will Arnett fuck your mum or something.
>>
File: 1460156622607.jpg (114 KB, 557x305) Image search: [Google]
1460156622607.jpg
114 KB, 557x305
>>68082508
Holy shit I'm hoping you're just pretending to be a redditor
>>
Watch any sitcom from the 90s. I don't care if you want a cartoon. Watch some Roseanne you fuck.
>>
I'm only a Bojack viewer because it's voiced by Gob Bluth.
>>
I see a lot of (You)s in this thread, but nobody articulating why Bojack is a "well-written" show.

I think that speaks volumes about the type of person who heaps approbrations on this mediocre program.
>>
>>68084677
dubs confirm
based anon told them how it is
>>
>>68084677
It's just, the way you talk is so fucking pretentious, it's hard to take you seriously. I don't know if you realized that was what everyone has been mocking. And no it's not that we don't understand what you're saying (Big words don't equal big thoughts). We get it. You just sound like a cunt.

I like the characters. I care about Bojack. I feel his pain. I relate to him. There are characters that annoy you at first and grow to be awesome. There are pieces that are fun to put together as the season unfolds. There are moments when you feel so horrible seeing Bojack do some of this things he does and yet, when he gets to a positive place he's extremely annoying, and you as a viewer secretly feel like he's better off as a bad person. The dialogue is believable. The performances are top notch.

I think it is funny as hell. The episode where they go to Boston kills me. The entire arch for "J.D. Salinger's Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities, What do they know? Do they know things? Let's find out !" was fucking hysterical.

So there. All the reason I need to declare it good writing. This is a cartoon dude. Not all logic needs to line up perfectly. Enjoy yourself, ya twat.
>>
>>68084955
>being this asshurt because some guy said mean words about your show
its hard to redeem yourself since you like bojack.
>>
>>68082508
It's really bad, until episode 10 or 11 in season one. Then it hits you hard with feels.
>>
>>68085034
That's a little backwards. You asked for a response to match your reasoning for not liking a show just because you don't.

>passionate attack
>passionate rebuttle
>asshurt
>>
>>68084955
>The dialogue is believable

You're talking about a show where every dramatic moment is delivered in an unnatural theatrical style monologue. I think you threw this bit in there because you thought you get away with throwing on empty praise.

>The performances are top notch

Aaron Paul cannot voice act. He just ''reads'. I can imagine him in the studio delivering every line. I'll give you Will Arnett gives an admirable performance, but hardly enough to make up for the lackluster quality of material he is given to work with.

> The episode where they go to Boston kills me. The entire arch for "J.D. Salinger's Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities, What do they know? Do they know things? Let's find out !" was fucking hysterical.

This is not critique. Saying "I like it, it made me laugh" is not a critical examination of the quality of a show's writing. I'm not telling you you can't like a show. I'm only pointing out how hollow & ignorant your acclaim is.
>>
>>68085115
im not the guy arguing
but I agree with him because I think its a shit show, and I like watching him make you lot cry
>>
>>68085167
Shut the fuck up you piece of shit

You are fucking wrong and you know it
>>
>>68085383
>being this mad because you have never suffereed and you dont know what happiness is
>>
>>68085120
>Saying "I like it, it made me laugh" is not a critical examination of the quality of a show's writing.
But you don't realize that the basis of your criticisms all amount to "I don't like it". There's nothing more critical examination in what you're saying than what I'm saying. I happen to think Aaron Paul sounds believable. He sounds like a loser stoner. Trust me I know plenty. Just because you don't consider it good acting doesn't mean it isn't. Literally all of this shit is subjective.
>>
File: 49156889.jpg (29 KB, 304x400) Image search: [Google]
49156889.jpg
29 KB, 304x400
>>68085120
such a fucking buzzkill
>>
>>68085524
>Literally all of this shit is subjective

The refuge of the defeated pleb. Hiding behind 'subjectivity' to avoid having to defend his convictions.
>>
>>68085562
This is literally bitching about people not considering your opinion as more important than others.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.