[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went so terribly wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: thing2.png (988 KB, 1367x800) Image search: [Google]
thing2.png
988 KB, 1367x800
What went so terribly wrong?
>>
>>68082348
everything
>>
They replaced technical with CGI for starters
>>
They tried to make a followup to The Thing.
>>
Who watches a movie for practical special effects?

Old-fashioned nerds do.
>>
>>68082348
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

They replaced good practical effects with cartoony CGI after test audiences didn't like them. Plus the movie was pointless giving us barely anything new in terms of story and even made a massive continuity error by not having them find the alien by blowing up the ice which was literally shown in the first movie. The definition of a sequel/prequel no one wanted or needed. Sad thing is that because this movie bombed we probably won't get a chance for anything "The Thing" related for a while. Which sucks because the Sci Fi channel of all places had a cool idea for a television miniseries about the thing about a decade ago that shows you can do cool and interesting ideas with the source material
>>
Didn't focus enough on the paranoia of who was a Thing and too much on the effects.
>>
>muh practicals
it was a boring, shitty and unnecessary retread and no ammount of practical effects and puppets would've made a difference
>>
>>68082348
MEW was wearing way too much clothing.
>>
>>68082626
This is the saddest thing I have seen in awhile all that wasted work
>>
>>68082752
At least they got paid for their hard work.
>>
>>68082626
I'm actually angry. Why the hell did audiences not like that? It looks amazing. Literally some of the best practical effects I've seen. Especially in a modern movie where CGI is the norm. Fuck the studio. Fuck the audience. We could have gotten some amazing practical effects. I just feel bad for the effects crew who worked really really hard on that shit just for it to amount to nothing.
>>
yeah they shouldve made the creature work without CGI and worked harder on making a better story. Also I didn't like how it was a prequel I think they should've went for a sequel instead with something that survived the original or maybe Childs or Macready were infected but if your going with making this canon then Childs isn't infected because you can clearly see his earring at the ending scene.
>>
>>68082626
>>68082752
Just imagine being one of the FX artists on this movie, getting a chance to pay tribute to one of the most famous triumphs of practical FX, and then having all your work fucking thrown away for terrible CGI. I just don't understand how anyone thought it would work out.
>>
>>68082878
It makes it worse since when the effects crew were massive fans of the first film since practically every person working in practical effects is and they put their heart and soul into it in order to be respectful to the original.
>>
>>68082348
pg 13 and not a sequel
>>
>>68082668
This. The movie was just unnecessary and forgettable. It sucks, MEW deserves way better.
>>
>>68082971
I just don't understand how the audience disliked it.

"Yeah that just looks to real and scary. Make it more silly and cartoony."
>>
>>68082668
True, but we still got cheated out of some awesome effects.
>>
What's the name of that all practical effects movie made by these guys that was all funded by kickstarter?
>>
>>68083577
Harbinger Down. It's good for what it is. A "The Thing" knock off made with love.
>>
One thing I've never understood is what the fuck is "The Thing"... or is that the point?

I mean obviously it's an alien life form but what is going on when it turns everything else into a fucking monster?
>>
File: 1459891813544.jpg (10 KB, 285x298) Image search: [Google]
1459891813544.jpg
10 KB, 285x298
>>68082503
Shit tier bait son
>>
>>68082626
That shit looked incredible. All that wasted talent.
>>
>>68082878
>>68082971
>>68083388
The test screening was comprised of a bunch of fucking teenagers - a demographic well-known as being conformist pleb twats - who laughed at it and said it looked ''weird''
>>
>>68084031
It's not really an Alien to be exact. There is no definitive "Thing". It's more of a virus that has evolved to the point where it will do anything to survive even if it means to mutate into horrific creatures to kill it's attackers and spread itself.
>>
>>68084224
>not an Alien
it had a spaceship for fuck's sake
>>
>>68084224
>>68084265
I mean I guess it could have been someone else's spaceship...
>>
>>68084224
that hardly even makes sense. the whole reason it has enemies to begin with is because it is killing people by mutating them into horrific creatures
>>
>>68084031

Thats the point. Thats why its scary. You dont know what it is or why it does what it does, it just does without your understanding. And that is primordial and frightening as fuck.

Also you should read the short story that won a Hugo award, I believe, that is basically The Thing from The Things perspective. I dont want to spoil it but its a pretty fucking great short story
>>
>>68082626
did they use all those practical effects ?
>>
>>68084265
It's heavily implied through other media that the spaceship did not belong to "The Thing" but instead another race of aliens that unfortunately encounter "The Thing"
>>
>>68084535
Although it is shown building it's own ship I always assumed it was another aliens ship. but the thing can obviously acquire knowledge through taking over another being.

Who really knows how many worlds it's taken over and how much it knows
>>
>>68084870
probably not many, otherwise it would have known not to crash in the fucking south pole
>>
>>68084998
Pretty sure it crashed during the ice age when everything was covered in ice

Anyway crash landing at the South Pole is better than burning up in the atmosphere or at the bottom of the ocean or some shit
>>
>>68083641

Meh. I love Studio Adi and I'm glad they got it out of their system, but Harbinger Down was "Tentacles Flailing: The Movie".
>>
>>68082348

it was still kinda scary tho, unlike the horse shit paranormal activity clones that are being shat out in cinemas these days.
>>
>there are people who still think that is was a sequel
>>
I refuse to watch this based on the stuff about practical effects being ousted. I saw some clips of the CGI shitfest and was not impressed enough to bother.

Other movies I refuse to watch are the Point Break and The Hitcher remakes.
>>
>>68082348
Although every fucking retarded cuck in this thread will claim otherwise the CGI was far better than anything they could've pulled off with costumes however it just fell short as a movie. The acting was boring yet everything felt so rushed. It's like they were trying to hit some kind of event quota of "x happens at 10 minutes then y happens at 15" and they just pushed everything together to meet those marks.
>>
>>68085604
Getting into the Ocean would be perfect for the thing. the Oceans have effectively infinite Biomass for it to contaminate and it can proliferate itself easily through liquid.
>>
>>68087635

There's a time for CGI and a time for practical effects, a lot of the retards in this thread think everything should be practical even using miniature models that are super imposed in scenes but the creature effects for this should have been practical
>>
>>68082428
/THREAD
>>
File: the thing.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
the thing.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
>>
>>68082348
Derping https://youtu.be/gOO5Ipxpass
>>
>>68082626
>Sci Fi channel of all places had a cool idea for a television miniseries about the thing about a decade ago
could you elaborate?
>>
>>68088441
me in the middle
>>
>>68082626
The first movie bombed as well. But it had a cult following.
>>
>>68082348
1) Making a prequel, to which we already know the ending essentially
2) Replacing practical effects with dated cgi
>>
>>68082626
>Dumb redneck retard audiences didn't like that
>Dumb retard studio wiped away all of that hard work for cgi

Un-fucking-believable. Studios are fucking useless.
>>
>>68083641
Is it good?
>>
File: thething2.webm (2 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
thething2.webm
2 MB, 720x405
>>68088441
The Thing threads are so comfy.

Have another .webm
>>
Was it the dog at the end?
>>
File: thething3.webm (2 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
thething3.webm
2 MB, 720x405
>>68091090
And another
>>
>>68084998
It was probably a prisoner on that ship, and it escaping caused the crash
>>
>>68091094
The dog at the end of the 2011 movie is the dog at the start of the 80's movie.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.