[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this Kubrick's weakest film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: barry-lyndon-poster.jpg (120 KB, 706x1000) Image search: [Google]
barry-lyndon-poster.jpg
120 KB, 706x1000
Is this Kubrick's weakest film?
>>
>>68077625
It's his third best.
>>
>>68077625
Leave this board.
>>
I see a lot of parallels between this and There Will be Blood
>>
Was Redmond a mary sue?
>>
This film has a lot of memorable moments.
>>
>>68077625
It's a great looking film, maybe Kubrick's best looking. But I couldn't give a fuck about the characters at all.
>>
Lolita is his weakest feature film if you ignore Fear and Desire.
>>
>>68077625
nah his weakest are lolita, spartacus and paths of glory
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 1280x724) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 1280x724
He did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>68077625
get out
>>
>>68079110
I wouldn't include paths of glory on that list. And he rejects Spartacus by his own admission. And Lolita never had a chance with all the studio interference and censorship
>>
>>68078986
I find it more similar to the Master personally, but see many parallels between TWBB and 2001 and the Shining too.
>>
gonna need to form a line to get our satisfaction from this fucking clown
>>
>>68077625

it was essentially his excuse to get a film studio to fund his camera tests for Napoleon.

So yes.
>>
>>68079117
lord bullington was a degenerate, his hatred for barry was completely unjustified

>he cheated on lady lyndon

he hated barry from the get go, he was searching for reasons to turn lady lyndon against him.
>>
>>68077625
barry lyndon is my personal most favourite film of all time
>>
File: mouthbreathingdummy.jpg (11 KB, 250x310) Image search: [Google]
mouthbreathingdummy.jpg
11 KB, 250x310
>>68077625
It would be a perfect movie without Ryan O'Neal.
That said imo worst kubrick movie would be The Shinning or Eye's wide shut and both are very good movies even though.
>>
>>68079774
kubrick's worst movie is obviously clockwork orange
>>
everyone in this thread should be locked in a rape pantry and set on fire.
>>
>>68079774
O'Neal was perfect.

As an actor hes a dull asshole out of place and out of his league. Just like Barry.

Glad you understand his perfect casting choice now.
>>
>>68079774
Shit taste. EWS is his best, and I don't even consider 2001 to be overrated
>>
>>68079846
why would you want to be locked in a rape pantry and set on fire
>>
>>68079846
Where does one learn these terms?
>>
>>68079204
>not relating The Master with A Clockwork Orange
>>
>>68079807
Spartacus and/or Fear and Desire are, with Lolita coming in at a close second.

These are all still good films despite being his worst, although Spartacus and Lolita have notable studio manhandling and censorship.
>>
>>68079204
well mainly I was just thinking of the similarities between Plainview's character and Barry's (extreme opportunists with minimal scruples and "son" issues) and also I guess the way both films ended in a sort of coda that was really appendicular to the rest of the films' narratives. I don't see how 2001 relates to any of Anderson's films tbqh though
>>
friendly reminder that it was filmed entirely by natural/ candle light
>>
>>68080002
i haven't even seen lolita yet because i'm no interested in those weird fetish movies (lars cvon trier) would you recommend or will i bored out of my mind FUCKKKKKKK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>68080056
I actually watched and wrote about it for one of my college classes (I picked the film myself).

It's a bit boring at parts, but the actress playing the eponymous character does a good job of being both seductive yet innocent, and you both revile and feel empathy for Humbert.

Also, Peter Sellers is fantastic as usual with what little screen time he has.
>>
>>68080189
i'll watch
>>
>>68079774 (me)

>>68079807

Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece imo, but I really like Burgess so...

>>68079881
Barry Lyndon is a picaresque novel/movie. Picaresque almost by definition always have characters surviving and climbing socially by their balls and intelligence. As it is shown in the movie.

You can't use a dull idiot for that kind of character.
>>
File: carl the cuck.jpg (39 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
carl the cuck.jpg
39 KB, 600x615
>>68077625
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

IS THIS A JOKE!?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.