[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw working in a tech startup >tfw this show is depressingly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
>tfw working in a tech startup
>tfw this show is depressingly relateable

Still hyped for the new season though. Hope Richard give the qt VC the Series D this time
>>
>>68061256
Is it rough on the West Coast when you have to wake up extra early if you want to monitor the stock market?
>>
I enjoyed how a lot of the characters are making fun of real life tech people (e.g. Russ is Marc Cuban/ Sean Parker, Gavin Belso is the Google Founders / Larry Ellison)

Didn't get the brogrammers thing initially as I'd never met those kinds of programmers before. Now I realise the team I'm in is full of them
>>
>>68061949
what about Peter Gregory AKA the best character on the show may he rest in peace? who was he supposed to be?
>>
>>68061981
Elon 'brace for impact' Musk
>>
I can't really handle how frustrating this show is. They get shit on every episode and never succeed
>>
File: vR5Xp4C.jpg (62 KB, 1000x564) Image search: [Google]
vR5Xp4C.jpg
62 KB, 1000x564
>>68061981
Cross between Peter Thiel and Paul Graham, I think. Thiel is the one usually mentioned

Pic related is Marc Cuban, btw, it's where the 3-commas thing comes from
>>
When's the new season supposed to start? Great show
>>
>>68062228
24 April I think
>>
Ching Yang is best part about the show outside of Jared speaking German and quoting Hitler trivia.

I lost my shit at the smoking bit.
>>
>>68061256
Making good money? I work for an engineering firm and get paid in pennies. I keep hearing not to bother learning code because that skill will just be outsourced to India.
>>
>>68062352
Literally every character in the show pulls their weight except female Peter Gregory who is garbage. Russ pretty much saved season 2.
>>
>>68062598
She was good in the scene describing PG's death but for the most part, you're bang-on.
>>
>>68062495
Fucking kek

The company I'm working in hired me because they completely fucked up by outsourcing to India and got ripped off, got devices which had no documentation and all looked like they were made by high school students
>>
>>68062495
Fuck no, initially came in as a business/languages grad with fuck all skills, knew virtually nothing about tech. Got into a sort of mixed team that does a lot of hacky shit in the background, basically growing the company, keeping sales pipelines running, that kind of stuff, sort of engineering-lite.

Now have decent python skills, great excel and SQL, and am going to build out a good data analysis skillset before moving on. Money is meh, and the hours are long, but it allowed me to ramp up my CV a lot.

As for programming, I'd say it's almost the opposite- besides the fact that indian coding is notoriously shitty, I expect that in a lot of jobs in a few years it'll be almost expected that you have coding knowledge, it'll become standard.

It's really only generic codemonkey jobs being outsourced anyway. Things like machine learning are still insanely marketable. Plus something like python is just handy for automating your boring tasks anyway, so always good to learn
>>
>>68062147
You've just described the experience of 90% of startups m8
>>
THIS GUY FUCKS
>>
>first ep
>veronica mentions her company's engineering team were blown away by Pied Piper

Why the fuck would a VC firm have an engineering team?
>>
>>68064323
in-house development will save you money in the long run
>>
>>68061256
love this show. T.J. Miller is really enjoyable and his character is great.
>>
>>68064344
Yeah, but, developing what?

Unless they just mean their website, but even then a lot of VC firms opt for pretty bare-bones sites, or even just landing pages
>>
>>68064524
in-house HR management/accounting software and upgrades to the in-house HR management/accounting softwares.
>>
>>68064609
Surely a firm that isn't software focused wouldn't actively develop their internal systems software though, they'd just use existing payroll, HR or whatever services, tons of SAAS products out there for that
>>
>>68064813
Some companies (like a very small percent) need specialized features that SAAS products and existing services cannot provide. In this situation its sometimes cheaper to keep a small in-house developer team in your basement.
>>
>>68064902
Maybe that's it then
>>
>>68062147
>>68063042

PP is actually much more successful than most startups.

The majority of startups never even get a viable product in market, or they do but can't get traction and wither up and die. They never assemble anything of value.

Since that would make for a depressing show, they made it so PP is actually highly valuable technology from Day 1.
>>
>>68065160
The sad thing is that even if they have a cool, marketable product, very often something fucks it up along the way.

There's some great article around about some kickstarter campaign that funded an espresso machine- the machine actually kicked ass, and it worked, but problems with getting it manufactured killed it before they could even send shit to their backers. They got a ton of hate for it, but they seem like good guys, just unlucky
>>
File: Tasting-Table-office.jpg (205 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Tasting-Table-office.jpg
205 KB, 1200x675
>>68061949
They do some of the different 'types' of tech people well too.

Dinesh and Guilfoyle are very much based in the kind of snarky, people-hating engineers you find all over startupland.

Erlich is similar to a lot of startup founders I've met, they're kind of just these weird guys who are always involved in some startup or another and seem to know people from the tech scene no matter where you go. Erlich is even a bit more normal than these guys, usually they're pretty eccentric.

Big Head is a kind of person you see a lot, they're largely there because they're bros with everyone who works there, and because they were there since the start, not because they were some 5-star hire or something.

Jared is actually a lot more clued-in than most PMs I've come across, they can be either great or absolute idiots.

Richard's personality is more like the kind of people you see in Data Science, in my experience, but they come in all shapes and sizes.
>>
>>68061256
Fucking when though?
>>
For some reason I found it a bit, depressing.

Not really sure why, like I was just waiting for the moment where it would show he basically just throw away more cash than he could ever have need of. Legitimately kept me from enjoying it.
>>
OP or other informed people: I'm a grad. Surely working in a startup is better than in some corporate environment, assuming equal pay? Surely you get more responsibility at the startup? (I'm asking as career advice)

I also ask because my own major, mechanical engineering, only leads to braindead corporate environments.

I think society and establishment media taking potshots at tech (though I know the show is good natured) is just jealousy and resentment.
>>
>>68066713
sure the day to day will be more "interesting" but your job is not secure
>>
>>68066713
I think it depends. Corporate work can be nice, it's a routine job, sure it's not exciting, but stable and well, familiar. If you have some decent coworkers and at can stand your work then it's pretty nice.

Startup's has the tendency to be horribly managed. It's not always a closely knit group of bros, mostly it's just young people who have no real clue what they are doing and think being creative/copying Google is doing good work.

And you know, like 90% of all startup fails.
>>
>>68062598
Female Peter-Gregory replacement was more of a necessity, unfortunately. They wanted to keep that character in spirit so they didn't have to shoe-horn in a poorly written, rushed new character, and they managed it quite well.

Doing that gives them the chance to write a proper, fully fleshed-out character for the next season instead, which i'm much more in favour of.
>>
a shitty TBBT clone
>>
>>68066927
>>68066713
As someone working in systems dev, i'd say that corporate stuff is definitely a lot more red-tapey but you can end up learning a lot more skills if your senior team members are good. You'll probably also have a lot more opportunity for training and such; your company might even pay for you to get an MCP or something.

Startups are good if you are already very experienced in your field and have a real passion project you want to work on. You really need to enjoy the work you are doing more in a startup, because like these anons say, you probably won't be given a lot of direction and feedback on the work you're doing; your small team or company will probably expect you to think freely and be able to manage your own resource pool, which can be stressful in itself. Imagine being solely responsible for the successful integration of an entire engine, with nobody to check your code or tell you if you're fucking up!
>>
>>68067058
nah
should have replaced him with a different type of eccentricism. the actress playing the new character even affects the way Peter talked and his facial ticks, it's unbearable imo
>>
I eat da feesh
>>
File: 1447244793084.jpg (81 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
1447244793084.jpg
81 KB, 590x590
>>68064381
the show offers precisely the right amount of TJ and presents him in his most useful manner
>>68064609
>>68064902
>its sometimes cheaper to keep a small in-house developer
no, for HR/Accounting (payroll to consulting on almost any issue) in-house is the exact opposite of what a small company should or does do.

it is almost as if you managed to both bend all the way over as to be able to push your head up into your own ass and then managed to push your head right up into your own ass-cave

for you, in your own life, try to avoid speaking to anyone that doesn't either have downs syndrome or a full set of their own teeth

>>68067058
>Female Peter-Gregory replacement
agreed, they should had a Tim Cook type or better yet ... an Ashton Kutcher coming in to research playing P-G in an upcoming biography

Silicontourage!
>>
File: 1362925037568.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1362925037568.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>Silicon Valley
>the cast isn't fully indian
>>
>>68067430
motherfuck
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.