[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished watching this. What does /tv/ think of the ending?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: Boardwalk-Empire.jpg (745 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Boardwalk-Empire.jpg
745 KB, 1600x1200
Just finished watching this. What does /tv/ think of the ending?
>>
It was a great ending that brought the series' narrative messages into full closure.
>>
>>68058239
What do you think of the ending anon?
>>
It was dumb and contrived and a disservice to the good seasons of the show.
>>
>>68058239
It was ass
>>
It's amazing, great really
>>
It was alright. The show definitely needed to end on that season anyways
>>
Surprised me since it was historcally inaccurrate. They did good with the last season considering the budget cut and less episodes. Only wish Rothstein got a decent sendoff.
>>
>>68058239
cliche ending and after vinyl I can see why Terence is a cliche hack.
>>
Maybe the most rushed final season of a series I've ever seen. Why did HBO even bother giving it to them if they were just going to cut it down so much?

Young Nuck flashbacks were pretty good though.
>>
File: gyp-rosetti.png (260 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
gyp-rosetti.png
260 KB, 500x491
best villain
>>
It was ok. But at that point, I just didn't care enough to have a strong opinion on it.
The show peaked with S2, was ok with S3 and went to shit with S4. I only watched S5 because it was the last season and it had only a few episodes.
>>
>you'll never watch it with /tv/ again
>>
Daily reminder that Boardwalk Empire had amazing potential but Jimmy's death ruined it. It was clear that show was setting up later seasons for inevitable and real conflict between Nucky and Jimmy: old vs young, brains vs brawn, carefulness vs recklessness etc.
But Commodore actor got ill which meant that Jimmy had to be prime adversary for Nucky and their conflict had to grow much more personal - there was no way tfor Nucky to forgive him. Showrunners wanted to send Jimmy and Angela to New York, according contingency plan, but Michael Pitt was so obnoxious on set that they decided to kill Jinny off for good.

As a result everything went haywire and structure, goals and vision of Boardwalk Empire never recovered. It devolved into mindless Nuck vs *insert gangster name here* with no clear story to tell.

After disastrous season 4 they had to give series appropriate conclusion and they did what they did. Rothstein death / Valentine Massacre would be more entertaining season 5 for sure, but HBO's finale worked better to round up and close the show from narrative point of view, making it feel as coherent whole.
>>
>>68058996
OP here. The final season was pretty good but a little short. I liked how the ending was more personal than anything, however if the past seasons had more interaction with Nucky and Tommy it would have been better.
>>
It's a fantastic show but the final season was rushed. I wanted to see what happened to Rothstein and not showing him at all was such a fucking terrible decision. Just a flashback of him would have been nice even.

Jimmy is my favorite character but honestly it was a great decision to kill him off and the show only got better
>>
>>68059741
>all these years later jimmyfags are still mad
Bravo Terrence
>>
>>68058239

Ending felt off and kinda rushed (it was obvious that was Jimmy's kid) but they handled it the best they could. The show itself was still a pretty great altogether
>>
the van alden death was the most disappointing waste of potential I've ever seen with a character. He could have at least went out with a bang and killed off half of capones men and almost killing capone himself in a insanity fueled murder spree with a Tommy gun, but no he had to die so stupidly. ya the ending was alright.
>>
>>68062375
how did he die? Didn't watch last season
>>
>>68059239
BAAAAAAAAARNEY GOOGLE, WITH THE GOOGLY GOOGLY EYES
>>
>>68062375

Him and Chalky got the worst endings i've ever seen.

Absolutely pointless, they could have at least let them off with open ended finales instead of just shooting them and moving on.

Also everyone called Jimmys kid coming back and killing Nucky, it was so obvious with the time skip and the kid hanging around Nucky later on.
>>
Young Nucky's teeth were a little over the top.
>>
>>68059741
Season 4 was really good, though. Better than 3.
>>
>>68062702
they made me feel even more sorry for him.

so at least that worked.
>>
>>68058239
Great show, but the ending was sort of just okay. The eight episode order really hurt it, as well as the lack of a Rothstein death season.
>>
It was excellent
Didnt even watch S5 after how bad S3 and 4 were, but 5 was pretty good.
>>
>>68062859
?
>>
>>68063006
??
>>
>>68060540
Did not even like Jimmy that much, but I understood that he was crucial character for the show's structure. Collapse of the show circa season 4 was inevitable.

>>68062806
Not really. Season 4 was why show was cancelled. It was just a rehash of plotlines from other seasons.

New villain in town (Narcisse)? Done in season 3.
Nucky and Eli going mad at each other? Done in season 2.
Nucky going on business trip and recruits someone (Florida)? Done in season 2.
Zealous FBI agent going after Nucky (Knox) done in season 2.

Also let's not forget about wonderful storyline about Willy Thompson. Chicago and New York characters were the only saving grace of that season.
>>
>>68059239
Official villain (Nucky's rivals) rankings:

Rothstein>Luciano>Lansky>Jimmy>Rosetti>Commodore>Van Alden>Narcisse>Torrio>Knox>Masseria>D'Alessios
>>
>>68058239
IT WAS GREAT AND ANYONE THAT DENIES THIS IS A NIGGER JIMMY FAG.

JIMMYFAGS ARE NIGGERS.

NIGGERS!
>>
File: narcisse.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
narcisse.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Still my favorite death scene in the whole series.
>>
>>68065759
i liked cannavales death
>>
>>68058239
One of my favorite finales to a show ever
>>
Ending was kind of shit, full circle thing makes sense, but they had little to no build up to it.
Luciano should have gotten wrecked several seasons ago, he wasn't even good at backstabbing people, the writers literally just made him immortal to avoid him getting what he had coming.
>>
>>68066269
Luciano was a real person who actually managed to take over everything and create the five families like he does in the show
>>
>>68059582

>ywn experience another harrowing
>>
>>68064284
Joe Masseria is way too low there, but otherwise decent ranking
>>
>>68066304
Wish they had made him a lot more clever in the show then if they knew he had to be in it to win it. Felt like Meyer Lansky should have been in it in the end, but to me Luciano's character felt like he should have gotten popped a while ago with the dumb shit he did.
>>
>>68066422
Most underrated character
>>
>>68066269
yeah that Capone fella too, he was such a hothead!
>>
>>68066422
Joe Masseria was a fucking fantastic character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-KWZMHFhxQ
>>
>>68064284
Official season rankings

S2>S1>>>S3=S5>>>S4
>>
>>68059239
I genuinely kekd when he showed up in Ant-Man as a cuckold
>>
File: young gilly.jpg (113 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
young gilly.jpg
113 KB, 1024x640
this wasn't fair

not after four seasons of getting people to hate her.

not fucking okay, Winter.
>>
Jillian was top hottie tbqh.
>>
>>68065759
Talk about over acting. Nigga seriously sat down and asked himself if he got shot, stood up, fell on the thick black lady, did a little spin, fell on the floor, and the other actor had to come back to shoot him again just so he could sell his death.
>>
>>68059130
Vinyl is great you pig fuck
>>
>>68067391
lmao
>>
>>68066962
Remind me what happened please
>>
>>68067408
Nah it's lukewarm a couple great episodes and moments, but ehh
>>
>>68067391
that was the point, narcisse always acted over the top.
>>
>>68059082
that was one of my main concerns. why attempt a historically accurate portrayal of prohibition gangsters and then kill Nucky this way? the decision-making for the last season really went overboard with stuff. while i enjoyed the series as a whole, the ending let me down.
>>
>>68067391
>>68067473

>dat samefaggotry

and if not, you're a good match for each other

>>68058239

I liked the series finale, I just wasn't ever convinced Nucky was as interesting a character as the show wanted me to habeeb. I do love the Gillian character detail... a fucking adorable tomboy was what she was before corruption, depressing.
>>
>>68067391
nothing wrong with overacting when done right. overacting does not = bad acting. Pacino, Spacey, Denzel all do it and they're considered some of the best actors of all time.
>>
File: FuckYou!.webm (2 MB, 1728x720) Image search: [Google]
FuckYou!.webm
2 MB, 1728x720
>>68058239

I was royally pissed. I purposefully avoided looking up the history of Nucky Thompson because I didn't want to know when or how he died.

The last season was all about killing off main characters for cheap shock value but when Nucky died in the final ep I wasn't as pissed because i though "hey, he died in real life so at least his death was true to life"

Then I looked it up. He died in 1968 at the age of 85. What a load of shit.
>>
I though the ending was very predictable and i was sad I never got to see Rothstien die.
>>
File: Jimmy-Nucky-dead.jpg (16 KB, 400x248) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy-Nucky-dead.jpg
16 KB, 400x248
>>68058239
It was pottery
>>
Some of the send-offs were nice. Loved seeing Capone dealing with it. Bully of the bullies. I just wish the show didn't bother with a central character since Nucky would've been more appreciated as a side character
>>
>>68058239

i also never bought the actor who played Lucky Luciano in Boardwalk Empire. i never got the sense that this was the baddest gangster of his era, the guy who really created organized crime as we know it today. the actor was way too petulant and never exuded confidence. maybe i'm nitpicking here, but i just never dug the portrayal.
>>
>>68068842
Atleast Eli got a semi good ending.
>>
>>68068994
well. he was a lil bitch boy mostly till the end when he got powerful.he had to much of a sof tlook. unlike the real life man. season 6 sort of annoyed me. way too rushed and last ep was ovious. capone did great t hough.

>>68069003
wasn't he like hiding? i dont remember. or did nucky give him a otn of money before he died
>>
>>68058239
The Tommy shit was lame and everything else felt rushed; I blame HBO for that one, though.
I also blame HBO for True Detective Season 2.
>add a gay character and a woman or your fired, Pizza
>>
>no Rothstein at all in season 5

plenty of flashbacks, none for Rothstein

unforgivable
>>
It's a hard show to do defend, but I enjoyed it a lot.
Jimmyfags are the absolute worst, though.
>>
>>68058239

It's rich mans Deadwood
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.