[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best Mission Impossible Sequel. check. 9/10 best Speilberg homage.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 19
best Mission Impossible Sequel. check. 9/10

best Speilberg homage. check. 8/10

best high budget star trek film. check. 9/10

best star trek flick sequel since wrath of khan and a worthy star wars replacement. check. 8/10

best star wars villian since vader. check. series revived 8/10

is there anything he can't do?
>>
Lost
>>
>>68057985
he only did the pilot which was amazing....
>>
>>68058423

check
>>
>>68057876
Not be a jew
>>
File: finn2.jpg (707 KB, 3191x1799) Image search: [Google]
finn2.jpg
707 KB, 3191x1799
>>68058662
>>
>>68057876
>best Mission Impossible Sequel
Try 3rd best
>>
File: 1404555651151.png (328 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1404555651151.png
328 KB, 375x500
>>68057876
>best star wars villian since vader
>>
>>68057876
All of those things were terrible.

MI3 felt like a big budget TV movie and Kylo Ren is the weakest villain since Maul
>>
Ghost Protocol is the best MI sequel followed by Rogue Nation.
>>
>>68057876
>is there anything he can't do?

Stop hating white men.
>>
>>68058722
Phillip seymor hoffman elevates it above the shit villians of 4 and 5. they underused the swedish guy and raspy voice couldnt make it worthwhile.

brain implanting bad guy>russian with warhead>guy with cold

also monaghan best girl
>>
Make something people will actually care about in 10 years.

Nobody is gonna care about his "pretty good" movies after a while because they don't have any substance or interesting things that will keep people watching for a long time.
>>
>>68057876
I unironically love JJ's movies. As a mainstream blockbuster director I think he's the answer to Snyder's and Nolan's self-seriousness, to Whedon's television sensibilities, to Bay's vulgarity, and to Singer's visual inconsistencies.
>>
>>68058845
This

Racemixing propaganda and white genocide promoting
>>
>>68058859
>Phillip seymor hoffman elevates it above the shit villians

Sure, a fat pignosed rich guy is a quality villain.

Hoffman is overrated as fuck, that fried out druggie died too late.
>>
>>68058806
>>68058784
>disliking Kylo Ren as a character
>not being a philistine
>>
>>68058953
he was a really good bad guy, nothing you say disproves that or the fact that the villians in 4 and 5 were worse
>>
>>68058960
>I am an angry teenager attracted to histrionics and angst
Okay.
>>
File: based.jpg (52 KB, 765x415) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
52 KB, 765x415
Where were you when based JJ Abrams became the most recognized and influential director in Hollywood?

Masterpiece after masterpiece, he's consistently demonstrated his keen eye for cinematic perfection. This is no ordinary director. No, this kind of director only comes once in one hundred years. This century's Andrei Tarkovsky, JJ Abrams will usher in a new of age of film-making. Revolutionary in spirit, breathtaking in scope, JJ has his sights set on greatness. The bar has never been set so high.

Hold on to your hats, boys. This is only the beginning.

JJ "Kino ist mein life" Abrams
>>
>>68057876
ending of cloverfield lane.
>>
>>68059285
Yes, he's a school shooter and that's how school shooters behave. It's a more realistic and modern portrayal of villainy.
>>
>>68059625
A character tailor made for your mentality. No wonder you have such a stiffy for him.
>>
JJ Abrams is the emperor of empty nostalgia.

None of his work has any lasting values, they will all be forgotten.
>>
>>68059664
He's tailor made for most people's mentalities. Even the people who revile the movie found that character engaging. Max Landis said he 'fucking loved' Kylo Ren.
>>
>>68059752
>engaging
Now you're just memeing me.
>>
>>68057876
>Is there anything he can't do?
Tell a unique story instead of just rehashing previous movie scenes
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 326x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 326x222
>>68058662
It's all about shoving in SJW propaganda.

Kasdan said in an interview that he and JJ asked themselves what it would be like if the Nazis had gone to Argentina and regrouped after WWII.

From birth, Jews are raised with this idea that homogeneous white societies will inevitably result in goose-stepping, ethnic cleansing, and warmongering. And I could understand that outlook if history had begun in 1930. But the truth is, whites are the most egalitarian and least barbaric group in human history.

That's what frustrates many of us when jewish SJW Hollywood sensibilities become accepted norms. They're slanted, prejudiced and their bias goes unchallenged by everyone.

The First Order was a Jewish take on ultimate evil. And because modern Jews are obsessed with The Shoah and WWII everything magically relates to MUH SIX MILLION.

It has gotten boring. It's stale. I wish we could get a more nuanced view of evil, but that won't happen because show-biz Jews always find a way of politicizing everything.

Like, recently I saw a movie set in 1920s London. There were several shots of a black man and a white woman walking as a couple in the street. It was there to sell us something. It was out of place and revisionist. It's tacky and it's condescending.

The objective is to shape public opinion with the assumption that everyone needs "educating" and are too dumb to pick up on the flagrant advertising of their agenda. In this case, it was a short throwaway scene and it still took me out of the movie. The message is basically, "You're too dumb to find the right opinions by yourself, so we're going to give you direction by placing propaganda in the media you consume."

SJW placement just seems dishonest and manipulative. Flagrant product placement annoys me whether it's a product I like or not. It takes me out of the ride that it should be, pauses everything to remind me what I'm supposed to think, and then expects me to jump back in with full enthusiasm.
>>
>>68059752
they're engaging but they're all incredibly shallow and ankle-deep in character development.
>>
>>68058859
MI:3 is just tablescraps of 1 and 2 with none of the charm of either.
>>
>>68057876
>best Mission Impossible Sequel.
II
>best Speilberg homage. check. 8/10
Who the fuck cares?
>best high budget star trek film. check. 9/10
Also only.
>best star trek flick sequel since wrath of khan and a worthy star wars replacement. check. 8/10
What is star trek nemesis.
Also, acceptable =/= worthy.
>best star wars villian since vader. check. series revived 8/10
Literally the second weakest villain. And that's only because christopher lee gets fuck all screentime except to play the hammiest villain around.
>>
IM3 was the best of a weak franchise

Super 8 was shit and only fooled people into thinking it was good because of his trademark le' mysterious ad campaign.

Star Trek 2009 was great

Star Trek into Darkness was shit

The Force Awakens was shit.

He's 2 for 5 which is nothing to brag about really.
>>
>>68059841
I was referring to Kylo Ren specifically. I don't think that Rey or Maz are engaging, and Kylo is developed just fine, he just has no arc in this movie.
>>
>>68059824
Jews are born nation wreckers. It's in their blood. They cannot avoid it.
>>
IM3 was the best of a weak franchise

Super 8 was shit and only fooled people into thinking it was good because of his trademark le' mysterious ad campaign.

Star Trek 2009 was great

Star Trek into Darkness was shit

The Force Awakens was shit.

He's 2 for 5 which is nothing to brag about. The numbers here show that the majority of his movies are shit.
>>
>>68059940
TFA is mediocre at worst you memester. Into Darkness is his only legit bad movie, and even that has some good individual scenes.
>>
>>68057876
He can't make a 10/10 or come up with an original idea
>>
>people replying seriously to b8
>>
>>68057876
>MI:3
The only worse one was 2.
>best Star Trek flick sequel since Wrath of Khan
First Contact nigga
>best Star Wars villain since Vader
Troll/10
>>
>>68060128
Kylo Ren is a far more interesting character than Vader was in ANH. Why would he be trolling there?
>>
>>68057876
no, into darkness was shit, agree with the rest though.
>>
>>68057876
I'll like him a bit better if he released a director's cut of Into Darkness with 98% of the lens flare removed.

What the fuck was up with that, you can barely even look at the screen at any point without hurting your eyes.
>>
>>68059824
>>68059969
>>68058941
>>68058662
How do we stop the jews from eradicating the white race ?
>>
He somehow made star trek films worse than the TNG films. JJ sucks
>>
>>68058960
anakin 2.0
>>
>>68059581
JJ is doing Portal and Half Life next, from there he will take the Presidency. And we shall have peace.
>>
>>68057876
not be a fag loving race mixing promoting heeb
>>
>>68059604
>implying he mad the film and didnr just financially support it with bad robot
>>
>>68059972
I gave super 8 a rewatch and liked it more. better than most in the genre especially of late
>>
>>68060311
*and israel will have peace while america burns to the ground featuring sick lens flares

ftfy
>>
>>68060197
Because Kylo Ren was an angsty faggot who immediately got his ass beat.
>>
>>68060280
Anakin done right
>>
>>68057876
>s there anything he can't do?
anything ORIGINAL
>>
>>68060261
Leave your basement sometimes neckbeard
>>
>>68060397
>why aren't all villains intimidating badasses with literally no characterization????
His insecurities make him interesting
>>
>>68060280
>>68060456
nothing similar to anakin

if he were supposed to resemble anakin, he would be anakin "done horribly wrong" not anakin "done right"

completely different type of people
>>
>>68060477
Nice try kike
>>
>>68060534
hes directly and indirectly verbatim anakin
>>
>>68060641
No he isn't

he's a cartoonists interpretation of what Anakin would be like if he had an iq of 70 and no sense of morale whatsoever

basically, he may as well be obi-wan by your logic
>>
>>68060848
no sense of morals*
>>
>>68057876
JJ "Destroy the white race" Abrams
>>
>>68060848
That's absurd. You're comparing an Anakin who's still technically 'good' to a full dark side Kylo. Comparing their senses of morality makes about as much sense as comparing Luke to Vader. And what about him suggests a low IQ? He's overly confident because of his powers, but that doesn't make the decision to let go of BB-8 in favor of just taking Rey stupid. It's just simple hubris.
>>
>>68057876

>Is there anything he can't do?

Make an original movie.
>>
>>68060508
Dark Helmet from Spaceballs is more interesting
>>
>>68058784
Even if you dislike him his only competitors are Darth Maul and Count Dooku who are basically non-characters.
>>68059285
You can enjoy a character and find them interesting without immediately relating to them yourself. Good characters don't have to be likable characters, either.
>>
>>68061341
>Make an original movie.
more like make a good movie
>>
>>68061377
>Even if you dislike him his only competitors are Darth Maul and Count Dooku who are basically non-characters.
Those non-characters are more compelling.
>>
>>68057876
Does this guy have any qualities to his work that make him stand out? Besides lens flare?
None of his movies stand out as doing anything unique storytelling or filmmaking-wise
>>
File: 1454202072931.jpg (280 KB, 620x375) Image search: [Google]
1454202072931.jpg
280 KB, 620x375
>>68061341
toppest of keks
>>
>>68061425
No, they aren't. Count Dooku had potential to be interesting, but it never happens. He shows up to cut off a hand and then shows up to die. He's cheap fodder for Anakin's development. Darth Maul was cheap fodder for overly-elaborate and somewhat boring sword fights.
>>
>>68061425
>count literally who more compelling than the guy who stopped a blaster bolt in mid air
Stop memeing bro
>>
>>68059824
>>
>>68060397
Oh, so apparently every villain has to be another Vader or Maul
>>
>>68061294
And that other idiot is comparing characters with no common ground whatsoever

Kylo Ren is a comic book video game

Anakin Skywalker is a Jedi Knight

>He's overly confident because of his powers
What powers? He's an entry-level sith apprentice without the discipline of previous Sith and he got beat by a girl
>>
>>68061643
>Kylo Ren is a comic book video game
What does this even mean? He's a character with a clear history and motivations that bring interesting thematic material to the movie.
>>
>>68061643
>Kylo Ren is a comic book video game

I thought he is person....thats new
>>
>>68061643
It's absolutely laughable that a villain like Vader in ANH who was nothing more than an icon of badness with almost no characterization whatsoever gets a pass, but the conflicted and vulnerable Kylo Ren is a videogane character. As for what powers, the powers that allowed him to stop plaster bolts, read minds, and freeze people in place. Those powers.
>>
>>68061485
and yet they still had more compelling character arcs
>Maul is born and bred a sith warrior, brought up to be the sith's revenge on the galaxy - has utter faith in his master and his own prowess - is betrayed and used by his master.
>Dooku is a renowned jedi - political idealism leads him to be turned by Sidious - abandons jedi to foment war against them - ultimately betrayed by darkside

now compare these character arcs to Ren's
>angry child from broken home goes bad - throws tantrums - gets beat by girl - cries
>>
>>68061585
you admit ren is no vader nor maul - very good
>>
>>68062006
There's nothing wrong with Vader in ANH. He got more interesting in Empire and Jedi, but he served his role in the story well enough. The same way Kylo does in TFA. I don't see why we have to praise one at the cost of shitting on the other.
>>
>>68062061
It's not what the character is, it's how it's about it. A pathetic character done well is more engaging than an impressive character done poorly. Also, all that stuff about Maul is tertiary. You don't know it from Episode 1 alone, just like how we don't know about Kylo from Episode 7 alone. He could have an interesting past with the Knights of Ren.
>>
File: 1452808923013.jpg (41 KB, 460x512) Image search: [Google]
1452808923013.jpg
41 KB, 460x512
>>68062130
But you've hit upon the point - Ren did NOT serve with the same elan as Vader or Maul.
It seems to come down to menace and mystery. Ren doesn't possess menace and mystery because he's a loose cannon. He flies off the handle, he's a ragey emo kid - and that is not scary or mysterious or menacing; it's just pathetic.
>>
File: 1455218160221.jpg (25 KB, 301x251) Image search: [Google]
1455218160221.jpg
25 KB, 301x251
So I guess I'm the only one who thought the new SW was a pile of garbage?
>>
>>68062294
Not to mention the fact that he couldn't kill a black dude holding a lightsaber for the second time in his life or that he got beat by a girl holding a lightsaber for the LITERALLY FIRST time in her life.
>>
>>68062225
>it's not what the character is, it's how it's about it. A pathetic character done well is more engaging than an impressive character done poorly
damned right!!
And the Maul stuff ain't tertiary - we can safely interpolate it from what we see on screen.
And Ren's potential for an interesting past with the Knights is still him doing evil shit with an evil group - not much character development there, really.
>>
>>68057876
>best mission impossible sequel
Wrong and unchecked
>>
>>68062347
Not at all

I can tell you're not from /tv/
>>
>>68062294
So ostensibly you're upset because you wanted someone who full filled the exact same role that Vader did in ANH. You wanted to feel intimidated. To me Kylo portrayed that perfectly until he took off his mask, when he then became a creepy pathetic kid reminiscent of a school shooter. That's a more interesting, less obvious portrayal of villainy than Vader's single-note badness was.
>>
>>68062359
Now, to be fair, his sith abilities and prowess do not make or break him as a cool character. Yes, in the film he is the weakest sith we've ever seen; but THAT is not what makes him suck. He sucks because he's an angsty boring childish character. Ren is s'posed to be the ignorant kid of the film, and she is waaayy more interesting and mature.
>>
>>68062387
>we can safely interpolate it from what we see on screen.
No we fucking can't. He had one line of dialogue in the movie. He was literally a non-character. He had more dialogue in the trailer than he did in the movie.
>>
>>68062061
>Dooku is a renowned jedi - political idealism leads him to be turned by Sidious - abandons jedi to foment war against them - ultimately betrayed by darkside
This isn't touched on much to any degree, though. That's what I meant when I said he could have been interesting but wasn't. He's killed off and dismissed as easily as he was introduced. Ditto for your points about Maul. Ultimately he was just a demonic looking guy who popped up for sword fights and then got cut in half. He was a walking action sequence, nothing more. There's no thematic meat to him. He's barely even plot-relevant.
>angry child from broken home goes bad - throws tantrums - gets beat by girl - cries
But the question of why he is that way, and the answers the movie gives us, are what make him engaging. He's a gifted but insecure young man who feels the imposing weight of his heritage and legacy. He rebels through the exploitation of Snoke who whispers all the right words about how Kylo is the true inheritor of Vader's legacy, not Luke. The way his character addresses legacies is really the only time TFA's self-awareness works in its favor. The film's answer to attempts at living up to a villain like Darth Vader is that you can't.
>>
>>68062359
He wrecked Finn while being injured by a weapon that was portrayed throughout the film as being especially powerful and while being g emotionally distressed after killing his own father.
>>
>>68057876
>Gois batman v superman will be great and make tons of moneh!!
>Gois starwars 7 is here and its gonna be graaaeetttt
tv why are you always wrong????
>>
>>68061377

The Emperor is a post-Vader villain you fucking eejits. Are you saying Kylo Ren is better than Sheev Palpatine?
>>
>>68062663
/tv/ predicted ep VII to be a flop bro
>>
>>68062485
no no, anon! and let me tell you, i was (seemingly) the only person on the planet who WAS NOT put off by him taking off his mask - I thought it worked to see a stark young face that wasn't hideous or deformed. But that's just me, apparently. As you aptly say: looked like a school shooter, and i thought that was ok.

What I wanted from my villain was, yes - intimidation. I'll admit i didn't get that at first from Dooku (I wanted Dooku to be a legit good guy duped by the dark side). But, once Dooku turned on his lightsaber, I felt the intimidation of his crazy swordskills, and that was awesome! We got a bit of that grim scary when Ren first appears; but it disappears quickly - so quickly, that Ren becomes the butt of the joke to a pair of nobody stormtroopers......oi vey!
>>
>>68062510
Fuck! meant to say that REY was s'posed to be the ignorant character.....dammit
>>
>>68062510
Your sensibilities are so ridiculously immature. He doesn't have to be a badass. Yes he's unstable and weak, that doesn't make him a poorly drawn character. In fact, going against the expectations we have of what a Star Wars villain should be makes him even more interesting.
>>
>>68062593
character is revealed by more than just that character's dialogue, anon
step up your game
>>
>>68061877
>>68061910
The point is, Kylo Ren is an original character and there is no one similar to him in Star Wars

Whether you think he's a good or bad character doesn't matter, I don't care. Kylo Ren and every character in TFA were created with a completely different and isolated set of sensibilities compared to those of the previous saga. This new saga is created by Disney and follows a completely different set of ideas

the set design, the plot, the aesthetic etc might all be second hand rip-offs from the previous stuff, but the characters have nothing in common with each other

even Han and Leia have nothing in common with their OT-counter parts. These are different people. They've probably done this on purpose, good for them.
>>
>>68062294
So what? The fact Kylo tries and fails to be like Darth Vader is what makes him interesting. He's still a threat, anyway. Not every villain needs to be composed and intimidating the way Vader is. Rage-y unstable young people struggling to find their identity can be threatening. Especially when they're in Kylo Ren's position.
>>
>>68062687
I like The Emperor, but Kylo Ren is more interesting so far.
>>
>>68062637
those points regarding dooku and maul aren't touched on heavily, you are right; but they are there nonetheless. And they both were indeed plot relevant - let us not get too far into left field.

I like what you have to say about ren - it all rings true. But that is the beginning of a character arc for a hero, not a villain. A villain should not be so obvoiously weak, it seems to me - there may well be weaknesses, to be sure; but they won't be obvious or easily exploitable.

Ultimately, your story's hero is only as good as the villain. And it seems the new sw can't decide on who exactly is the hero.
>>
>>68062772
Kylo doesn't lose his intimidating qualities immediately; that scene where he captures Rey in the forest was genuinely threatening. And no, that joke in that stormtrooper scene doesn't emasculate Ren, it humanizes stormtroopers.

This conversation is sort of useless. Our sensibilities are just different. You want a badass SS officer; I want a tragic, unstable kid. There's no way of determining which of these characterizations is objectively better.
>>
>>68060261
Hurr Durr I'll act like a race baiter to detract from legit points and basic facts...
>>
>>68062841
but not interesting as a villain - as a villain he is not in the least compelling. Hell, stormtroopers have a laugh at his expense for crying out loud.

And, had you read my post with both eyes open, you would have seen that him being a badass was beside the point - the point is that his 'character' is that of a whiny angsty selfish teenaged turd. Boring. Seen it. Noncompelling. If i want that, i'll tune in to the after school special. In star wars, I want galaxy-sized super villains who eat heroes for breakfast.
>>
File: 1460019626906.jpg (4 KB, 187x250) Image search: [Google]
1460019626906.jpg
4 KB, 187x250
>>68063492
>legit point
>basic facts
>>
>>68063273
>And they both were indeed plot relevant - let us not get too far into left field.
Dooku, yes. Maul's only real role in the story is killing off Qui-Gon and tipping off the Jedi that there's Sith shenanigans afoot. Maul doesn't contribute much of anything other than the fights. Dooku does, but barely.
>But that is the beginning character arc for a hero, not a villain.
It's seems obvious that Kylo will have a redemption arc, and I think it's likely it'll come to fruition a lot earlier than Vader's did. But it's hard to say.

Either way Kylo isn't weak. He's still very much a threat. The doubts about that speak more to Rey's shitty writing than Kylo.
>>
>>68062870
But just look at the appeal of Darth Maul 17 years after his brief appearance and death. He is STILL the epitome of Sith rage and fighting fury. An icon. THAT's an interesting and compelling character, a character that will be remembered and has entered the cultural milieu. Ren will NOT be remembered (positively) for anything he did in tfa.
>>
>>68063544
You want a videogame villain who acts like a boss fight for the protagonist, not someone with actual emotional depth and vulnerabilities. You want boilerplate and boring, not unexpected and odd. And no, that scene with the Stormtrooper was more about making the Stormtroopers appear more human than about making Ren appear less intimidating.
>>
File: 1424450645140.gif (3 MB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
1424450645140.gif
3 MB, 280x358
>>68062655
>>
>>68063294
don't give up, brother anon! you have hit upon a very good point - i like my villains smart and nasty, you like 'em broken and unstable. You are probably right to say there's no way of determining which of these characterizations is objectively better. And saying that is progress! (on this board, at least)

However, laughing at a villain DOES de-fang their intimidation factor.

So, how do we (do we?) determine who's villain is more villain-y? Both ARE villains. Both CAN be compelling. Could we say that HOW the villain is portrayed would determine the villain's, ahem, villainy?
>>
>>68063682
Maul makes for easy merchandise. That doesn't make him a compelling character. Ren's already being remembered for being actually interesting.
>>
>>68058960
He said villain, not character, and Ren is most definitely a shit villain.
>>
>>68063664
But Ren IS weak - ALL previous sith demonstrated TOTAL self control. One could say that the very hallmark of the sith is ruthless self control. Ren don't have it. At all.
>>
>>68063744
Don't mean to butt in to your conversation but I noticed the wods: "video game villains"

and let me you, there is nothing more video gamey than that video game boss fight where a random stormtrooper equips a spinning baton and attacks Finn

that is by definition, a video game boss fight. It was a scene that needed to be completely cut out or re-purposed into something else. But as it currently exists, it's basically one of the many things that completely destroys the flick

TFA is better suited for video game format
>>
>>68059824
Well said, anon.
>>
>>68064009
That doesn't mean Kylo Ren isn't powerful or threatening, though. Just unrefined.
>>
>>68063975
But maul's continued iconic status has nothing to do with toy sales, and his continued iconic status speaks directly to the fact that maul IS STILL found to be compelling by the audience; and it is too early to say how ren will be remembered 17 years from now (but we can hope he won't be remembered for being angsty and undisciplined and childish).
>>
>>68062347
Nope, but you are unfortunately in a minority. Rey is such an abomination of a lead character, I honestly think I'll give the next two films a miss. Same for iRebel, that looked atrocious from the trailer.
>>
>>68064100
Why didn't kylo ren just force push Rey into a tree just like he did with the negro?

inb4 you make some bullshit up like his force meter was recharging or something.
>>
>>68063975
Darth Mauls lightsaber prowess, seething (but absolutely precise) body language and trained use of motion is more compelling than Kylo Ren's pseudo-deep tantrums. His decision to not even engage in conversation adds a layered combination of professionalism and ingrained, passive disgust. His tattoo's alone are unlike anything I've ever seen before in Star Wars.

This isn't really even something you can argue
>>
>>68064184
he did force push her into a tree
>>
>>68064233
Did she fly 30 feet into the air? Didn't think so. Unless you're getting paid for this, it's incredibly pathetic to make excuses up for ABSOLUTE SHIT screenwriting.
>>
>>68063744
oh, no - i like vulnerable and depth. Vader had that in spades. Maul had it (too much faith in his master); Dooku had it (too much faith in himself). Hell, even Grievous had it (coward). Unexpected and odd are good! Childish and immature are boring, however. Kylo Ren is young donald trump with Force instead of money.
>>
>>68064281
stop pretending to be retarded pls
>>
>>68064311
>haha I have no argument but I'll call him retarded and still win XDDD
Kill yourself.
>>
>>68064017
this anon here knows what's up - it's a video game movie for video game folks. And, for movie folks, that shit don't fly.
>>
>>68064233
she is getting pushed to a tree at the begining of the fight
>>
>>68064139

Maul is iconic for the same reason as Bona Fett: he looks cool and does some flashy shit. He barely has any dialogue and doesn't have any backstory presented in the film.
>>
>>68059824
pasta

opinion invalid.
>>
>>68059581

>Spielberg copycat
>influential

Sure
>>
>>68064382
you are just too dumb to understand
>>
>>68064362
Truth doesn't become invalidated just because it can be copied and pasted

keep blocking your ears cuck
>>
>>68064221
>is more compelling than Kylo Ren's pseudo-deep tantrums.
No. Because Kylo Ren is weaved well thematically into the movie and has an actual internal struggle that manifests in relevant ways. Maul is Red Fighting Man.
>>68064139
What's wrong with being angsty and undisciplined? Those can be, and were, interesting traits for a character.

Your issue with Kylo Ren is that he isn't "badass' enough.
>>
>>68063987
That's a dumb distinction to make. We don't judge movies based on how well the characters fit into pre-determined roles.
>>
>>68064507
We absolutely judge characters based on that.
>>
>>68064100
very true, anon - but a villain with restraint is far more threatening than one who flies off the handle - not, perhaps, in the moment; but long-term. (Kylo may force-bash me and forget me, but Tarkin just keeps looking at me and smiling......)
>>
>>68063923
The problem is that our 21st century conception of villainy isn't an SS officer, it's religious zealots, rich moguls, and disturbed kids. Ren perfectly encapsulates the zealotry with his obsession with Vader, and the disturbed child trope.
>>
>>68064291
How is being immature or childish any less interesting than Maul being defined by following orders and Dooku being arrogant? There's a lot more going on with Kylo than any of them.
>>
>>68059824
>what it would be like if the Nazis had gone to Argentina and regrouped after WWII

WHOAH IT'S ALMOST AS IF THEY WANTED TO CARRY OVER THE NAZI VILLAINS FROM THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY OR SOMETHING
>>
>>68064567
We judge them negatively based on that. We call it tropes or clichés.
>>
>>68064221
Maul was a villain, as you so expertly demonstrate.

ren is a 'character', so, muh, ren = better???? don't think so - as a villain, ren sucks.
>>
Uhh the best mission impossible was rouge nation. The Abrams one was a low budget version of that.
>>
>>68064340
see this>>68062858
And, since we're talking icons, what will ren be iconic for in 17 years? Angst? Tantrums? Getting beat up by girls? Seriously, how will we remember him??
>>
>>68064700
>Maul was a villain
>ren is a 'character'
So, maul was not a character?
>>
>>68064839
That one guy that talked really funny for no reason.
>>
>>68064382
this>>68059581 was sarcasm, bro anon
>>
>>68059940
you have just awful taste
>>
>>68064494
Ren was no villain, I agree with you. And i do agree that undiscipline and angst can be good char traits - just not so great for a villain, an iconic villain, an iconic Star Wars villain.
>>
>>68060280
pay attention to the movie next time
>>
>>68061341
Star Trek 2009 says hello
>>
>>68064594
fair point
So, you say that folks today fear the clear and present threat MORE than the hidden pervasive systemic threats? Any ideas as to why?
>>
File: 1435860777802.png (95 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1435860777802.png
95 KB, 400x400
>>68063492
The truth brought to your by kikewatcher.com!
>>
>>68062347
yes because you have bad taste and don't understand basic filmmaking
>>
>>68062359
he didn't want to kill her, he was offering to teach her the ways of the dark side. pay attention to the movie.
>>
Someone help? Why can't I open this file? Is it not legit? I figured that having so many seeders meant it was good?

https://thepiratebay.cr/torrent/14257467/Star_Wars_Episode_VII_The_Force_Awakens_2015_720p_-_ETRG
>>
>>68062772
dooku was trash and you should feel ashamed for liking him.
>>
>>68064626
perhaps 'less interesting' is poor choice of words - let us say 'less mature', or as another anon said 'less refined'. The angsty child murderhobo is a very immature, beginner level form of villainy - it's baby's first steps toward evil. And that CAN and SHOULD be interesting, you are right - it is very informative for us to know just HOW evil begins to take hold over us. This is a GOOD depiction, you are correct. But (*small but), it is not a very deep depiction of 'villainy'. Good character, poor villain. Beginner villain. Unrefined villain. A villain with potential, but so far undeveloped.
>>
>>68064435
>>>/pol/
>>
>>68064872
this circular nonsense is beneath you, anon
>>
File: 1440539524919.gif (3 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1440539524919.gif
3 MB, 240x180
>>68065016
oh anon! you SERIOUSLY don't know what 'original' means?!
>>
>>68065247
wew lad
>>
>>68065333
oh, please! in the theaters, when dooku schooled obi and annie, and then yoda walked in, the place blew the fuck up.
>>
>>68065184
They fear both. Snoke is supposed to be the latter, but he failed because, unlike Ren, he's too much of a trope. Honestly, Snoke should have been a woman. Being a mother figure to Ren would play up the sibling rivalry aspect of Hux and Ren's relationship well.
>>
>>68065648
snoke DID fail. utterly. making it a woman is a neat idea - too bad they missed that - could've really done something unique and interesting -- oh, wait! jj can't do that!!!

And here my problem with ren is i feel that ren is too much of a trope!! So, clearly, all these villains are tropes, and we're all bitching about the tropes we don't personally like. fuck.
but that angsty teen trope is lame, in my opinion. there are more important issues in the world than "muh I feel inadequate and hurt!"
>>
>>68064831
This, one of the best flicks of last year desu
>>
>>68064435
>>68065219
>>
>>68065247
I love this "good filmmaking" meme

it's one of my favourites of 2016. Too bad it's only one guy forcing it and he doesn't even know what constitutes as good filmmaking
>>
>>68065372
>>>/out/
>>
>>68059581

>new of age of film-making
>where lens-flare is taken to the extreme
>122min of nothing
>but
>lens
>fucking
>flare
>>
>>68065942
Ren isn't an angsty teen. That's how the online memes have been portraying him, which might have influenced your view of him, but he's an obsessive creep who's trying to live up to the legacy of his grandfather. He's not a mopey kid who likes to share his feelings.
>>
>>68066739
to his credit I liked the lens flare idea in the star trek movies

it was minor auteurism at play
>>
JJ does a good job but that's not really the point.
We're gonna look back at this era of film and shake our heads that both Star Wars and Star Trek were in the middle of reboot trilogies from the same director. Such a metaphor for corporate fucking hollywood
>>
File: ConcernedFrohman.jpg (30 KB, 253x338) Image search: [Google]
ConcernedFrohman.jpg
30 KB, 253x338
>>68060311
mfw we get movies for Half-Life and Portal before Half-Life 3
>>
>>68066822
hey, all i remember is him crying to a bent vader helmet and freaking out on an innocent computer station and getting beat. That is it. Teen-angst tier shit. Folks today seem to think that the lame serial-killa-of-the-week schtick we've been force-fed lately is cool. It's not cool. Obsessive loner creeps do not make for dramatic and compelling story villains. They are one-dimensional, a low-grade of villain. Unsubtle like a maniac with a bat. A higher-grade villain is someone a bit less predictable, a bit more intelligent and far-reaching. Someone who can't be put off their game by a minor setback. Someone who is not just a pawn of greater evil.
>>
>>68057876
>Get his foreskin back........
>>
>>68060261
Stop eating your pizza pockets and go outside
>>
>>68067424
I don't understand why fans aren't shaking their heads now. It is ridiculous they couldn't find a different guy
>>
>>68057876
>best Mission Impossible Sequel
But John Woo directed MI2??
>>
>>68068153
really don't see those working out as movies
>>
File: Not potery.jpg (2 MB, 3604x1556) Image search: [Google]
Not potery.jpg
2 MB, 3604x1556
>>68059824
This looked like a scene in a German Nazi base located Alps in winter.
>>
>>68069183
Lashing out in anger is an indication of instability, not immaturity. The notion that his mental instability is more of a cliché than Vader's personality is absurd. Vader was as one-dimensional as the serialized villains Lucas based him on.
>>
>>68070471
mature people are stable people, anon. and i'm not talking age, i'm talking maturity. mental/spiritual/emotional maturity. people can live for a hundred years and not become 'mature'.
And Vader's 'personality' was basically non-existent - which was entirely the point, as he had sacrificed his body and soul for the power that the Empire granted him. Ren hasn't sacrificed anything - he's just sad and bitter because muh, reasons.
>>
>>68069308
yeah dude the fans specifically wanted JJ to direct episode VII
>>
>>68071603
I'm glad you conceded that Vader was a personalityless non-character.
>>
File: 1441644324242.gif (398 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
1441644324242.gif
398 KB, 300x167
>>68072273
There's no concession there: it's obvious, anon! THAT'S the WHOLE point, anon!! The character of annakin destroyed himself to gain power. Those who wield power are no longer fully-developed human beings: they have no personality of their own and instead take on the personality of Power. THAT'S what the Dark Side means; THAT'S the WHOLE POINT of Star Wars.
>>
>>68058891
Whedon did nothing wrong
>>
I just finished watching Force Awakens.

Solid 8/10. Good stuff. /tv/ was, yet again, wrong.
>>
>>68057876
>best star wars villian since vader
don't prank me anon
no one believes this nonsense
>>
>>68071603
Vader is a non-character because he was designed from the ground-up to be nothing bigger than his cool suit.
>>
File: uh-huh.gif (1 MB, 400x166) Image search: [Google]
uh-huh.gif
1 MB, 400x166
>>68074173
mmm - that's right anon! nothing but a big suit, from the ground up, called 'Vader' - yeah, they had no idea Vader was gonna turn out to be Luke's 'father' - no idea at all. you are right. unironically so. indeed.
>>
>>68074456
Sometimes relatively common facts bear repeating because the internet is populated with retarded man children,
>>
File: 1459993968881.gif (509 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
1459993968881.gif
509 KB, 500x246
>>68058953
I will fucking rek you mother fucker
>>
File: 1443032363207.gif (2 MB, 387x251) Image search: [Google]
1443032363207.gif
2 MB, 387x251
>>68074939
thank you, anon! you have restored my faith.
>>
>>68059824
purely coincidental
>>
>>68073257
That's an arc that only pays off 6 films later. And even then, seems an awful lot like an excuse for what is very thin characterization.
Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.