[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you feel about laugh tracks? Can you handle them? Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: better than suffering.jpg (45 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
better than suffering.jpg
45 KB, 540x429
how do you feel about laugh tracks?

Can you handle them?
Do they make you want to crucify yourself?
>>
>>68055918
They're disgusting. Once my physics teacher showed us a clip of The Big Bang Theory and the fucking constant laugh track was sickening, how can people watch a show with that shit?
>>
>>68055918
horrible

my roommates in college always put it on the TV and it was so fucking annoying. We watched friends and how I met your mother and both shows constant laugh tracks

I will never watch a show with a laugh track willingly
>>
Don't you mean 'filmed in front of a live studio audience'...?
>>
Terrible, Seinfeld is the only exception. It would still be better without them but it's good enough they don't matter.
>>
Every show with laugh tracks is confirmed for shit
>>
>>68056648
Yeah, I love Seinfeld but I hate the laughing tracks.

Just why does this shit exists?
>>
File: 1439482958446.jpg (120 KB, 572x845) Image search: [Google]
1439482958446.jpg
120 KB, 572x845
>>68057325
it's to tell you when to laugh
>>
File: red-dwarf-studio-1.jpg (44 KB, 470x308) Image search: [Google]
red-dwarf-studio-1.jpg
44 KB, 470x308
Studio audiences are fine, canned laughter is not.
>>
>>68057604
Get eggman outta here
>>
I generally hate them, but there are some exceptions.

The Andy Griffith Show, for example, has one episode about Opie killing a mother bird. It has no laugh track, despite having lots of jokes, and it gives the episode a very eerie feeling. There's no other AGS episode that doesn't have one.
>>
>>68057680
Most "studio audience" laughters have canned laughter layered in idiot
>>
It' the worst thing on TV.
It's made 100x worse when they use it on non-funny comments, literally within seconds of each other, for the entire show.

I think everyone takes it too far on the other way though, people are cracking legitimately funny jokes and legit funny things happen but nobody laughs....characters can't laugh for some reason..so autistic.
>>
that 70's show and Seinfeld are the only exceptions for me desu

otherwise god fucking awful
>>
Basically telling you "hey retard, look at all the people laughing at this part! You should laugh TOO!" Fucking insulting, and most of the time it isn't funny enough to laugh at, or funny at all.
>>
>>68055918
I like them. How else would you know when you're meant to laugh?
>>
>>68057725

TBBT maybe, but not classic British sitcoms. They got the laughs in by actually being funny.
>>
Mostly annoying but I find it bearable in Seinfeld and Mr Bean
>>
File: the-young-ones-518b3e0af0044.jpg (122 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
the-young-ones-518b3e0af0044.jpg
122 KB, 500x281
>nobody ever laughs at Mike
>even though he has some of the wittiest dialogue

Just makes me feel bad tbqh.
>>
I have a laugh track app on my phone. It's a hit in meetings.
>>
>>68058258
You must be a TV executive
>>
>>68058319
I'm in marketing. I like to drop it in when someone tells a terrible dad joke.
>>
its actually really complex

they exist for a reason. they're actually a necessary evil for sitcoms, even the good ones. the reactions from the audience are the driving force of such shows. they're like the bridge between the actors and the viewers. and because real laughter is obviously subjective, it can be unpredictable and therefore unreliable (like it is on talk shows), so they all use canned laughter to ensure we know what we're supposed to laugh at and to what degree

sort of like how obviously unrealistic 'PSHHH' and 'BMFF' sound effects are used in fight scenes/boxing bouts .. cause as cheesy as they are, it would just be weird otherwise
>>
>>68058522
Oh man I fucking hate when shows/movies do shit like the "clunky gun" thing.
>actor is holding pistol
>actor literally just moves the pistol 10 cm upwards without touching any moving parts
>gun goes "SKRLTN" to make sure retards are aware there is a gun on screen
why
>>
>>68058522
>>68058680

>drawing a sword makes a 'schwing!' sound

And yeah I know there's that video explaining it. Fact remains that most swords we see shouldn't
>>
>>68055918
I have no problem with them in classic sitcoms, but there's no excuse for still using them

IT'S 2016!
>>
>>68058522
There's always that moment when you're in a fist fight, or see one, where you're surprised that it just sounds like meat slapping meat.
>>
>>68059046

I only saw a proper fist fight for the first time about a year ago. That definitely surprised me.

I was also surprised how loud it was. This was two adults trying to seriously harm each other, before then I'd only seen school fights, martial arts, etc. You could hear these guys socking each other in the face from hundreds of feet away.
>>
I can't watch a show with a laugh track, its just fucking awful. /tv/ praises Seinfeld but I find it unwatchable because of that. Even if its real laughter there is no reason to not edit it out.
>>
>>68058522
What I fucking hate is those hollywood hacks using the same sounds again and again like the dying stormtrooper sound in virtually EVERY FUCKING ACTION MOVIE in hollywood ever
>>
>>68058367
People in marketing, ladies and gentlemen. Jesus christ.
>>
>>68059240
Except the actors pause for laughter, removing the track makes it awkward as fuck yet strangely fascinating
>>
>>68059240
>silent pauses between jokes to wait for laughter you can't hear to die down. Its awkward as fuck. If you're filming in front of a live studio audience, and the audience reaction affects the performance, then you kind of need to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKgXehYnnw
>>
File: kramer2.jpg (103 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
kramer2.jpg
103 KB, 850x400
>>68057962

the seinfeld crowd is great because if a joke is really funny they'll actually hold up the next line reading from laughing so long

then again they also hold up michael richards every time he steps in jerry's apartment after like season 5 so they can be shitty too
>>
>>68059372
I believe you're referring to the Wilhelm Scream, it's been around since the fifties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio
>>
>>68059429
Its awkward as fuck either way, thats why I cant watch shit like Sienfeld or friends. Once I notice that they pause every other sentence and actually consider how retarded that is I simply cant watch them. It is completely unnecessary and unnatural, serving no beneficial purpose. I mean yea if the laughter is real they need to pause but it shouldn't be there at all and that wouldn't be a problem. So much money is invested in these shows they should be more concerned about the quality of them over a few people in a live audience, which even then probably have laugh cues.
>>
>>68059437

lol
>>
>>68056321
Imagine how the actors must feel having to spout those corny jokes all the time

http://youtu.be/jKS3MGriZcs
>>
>>68059515
This is the definite proof americans have mental issues
>>
>>68059372
>dying stormtrooper

3/10
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.