[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name one downside to living in this kind of society. Protip:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 18
Name one downside to living in this kind of society.

Protip: You can't

>White majority population where black people are literally "blink-and-you'll-miss-it"-tier
>Interstellar travel
>Utopian cityscapes
>Only those who contribute productively to society get the opportunity to vote
>Red-pilled school teachers not giving a fuck about political correctness and telling it how it is
>Manslaughter is punished by ten public lashes instead of going to prison

Proving you survive your term of service fighting giant insects, your life is pretty damn sweet.
>>
>>68055289
>Only those who contribute productively to society get the opportunity to vote

This should be standard practice in any civilized society.

>Red-pilled school teachers not giving a fuck about political correctness and telling it how it is.

Burn it all to the ground and start fresh, we need these veterans to take control now!
>>
File: 1410643445899.png (86 KB, 192x187) Image search: [Google]
1410643445899.png
86 KB, 192x187
>that coed shower scene
>>
>>68055289
>Argentinians
>White

Pick one.
>>
>>68055289
>Argentina
>white
>>
>>68055397
>>68055417
Hivemind
>>
>>68055289
Heinlein was basically shooting the breeze about his camaraderie during the second world war.
In a real society like this you would end up with a Caesar who becomes a god with that despots whims being law,
>>
File: 1428854905001.png (610 KB, 680x541) Image search: [Google]
1428854905001.png
610 KB, 680x541
>>68055397
>>68055417
>>68055445
>>
>>68055515
>In a real society like this you would end up with a Caesar who becomes a god with that despots whims being law,

How the fuck do you figure that?
>>
File: 585.jpg (75 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
585.jpg
75 KB, 450x800
>>68055289
>>
File: 9be.jpg (41 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
9be.jpg
41 KB, 600x448
>>68055600
>>
File: 9f5.png (290 KB, 680x421) Image search: [Google]
9f5.png
290 KB, 680x421
>>68055546
>>
A society like that would never work out since people are crazy.
>>
>>68055881
There's a place for crazy people - it's called the Mobile Infantry.
>>
>>68055289
>Government blows up entire cities in false flag attacks as an excuse to start wars that cost tens of thousands of lives

Nah I think I'll pass.
>>
>>68055289
the world is as bad as mecha anime desu. Just another dumb teenager power fantasy. Also, fuck off back to your containment board.
>>
>>68055515

big fucking whoop, that's america today except you don't have to deal with degeneracy under fascism
>>
>>68056606
Here come the conspiracy theories
>>
I wish people would actually read the book and actually attempt to understand the message (i.e. spend time thinking about it instead of "but muh democracy muh freedumbs" gut reaction) before commenting
>>
>>68055366
and everyone is so casual about it, implying that this is a social norm even outside the military.
>>
File: 1430121252957.jpg (29 KB, 620x339) Image search: [Google]
1430121252957.jpg
29 KB, 620x339
>>68055289
Don't forget football, neon violins, public test results and

>would you like to know more?
>>
File: Triggered by elephants.png (473 KB, 854x564) Image search: [Google]
Triggered by elephants.png
473 KB, 854x564
>>68056543
>>
File: breaking-news (4).png (417 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
breaking-news (4).png
417 KB, 640x360
>>68055600
>>
>>68056312

>Bug sympathisers
Fuck off scum.
>>
>>68055289
>Missing the point of the movie entirely
>>
>>68055289
The film only focused on the military aspect. You could do your term of service as a civil servant for example.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_urWSSZgwU

>Violence is the supreme authority
This is pretty true, Love is pretty high I guess, almost equal but a box to the old jaw would get more efficient results.
>>
File: labour.png (1 MB, 1024x688) Image search: [Google]
labour.png
1 MB, 1024x688
>>68055289

In the books not everyone is white, for example the drill sergeant was black.

Anyways, service guarantees citizenship is pretty based, you have to prove your loyalty to your nation before having any say on public matters.
>>
>>68056606
>Men and women are totally equal
>Share showers
>Women in commanding and combat roles

How can you explain this? I was under the impression most fascist societies have very defined gender roles.
>>
>>68057813

easy, verhoeven is a liberal hack, and even in a movie where he lambasts fascism he has to put his own dumb liberal spin on things
>>
>>68055289
It was even better in the book. Liberal Hollywood's attempt to make that world look bad failed miserably.
>>
File: mech soldiers_00256977.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
mech soldiers_00256977.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>68057813

It was a fascist society in the sense it was humanity vs everything else, but race and gender meant little when you have aliens at the gates.

Also in the books most women where POGs or where in the Navy like Carmen and the Mobile Infantry were small mechas so having women piloting a powered exoskeleton wouldn't be that crazy.
>>
>>68058317
This.

Women in infantry roles isn't half bad when you've got technology and an ultra safe job with an excess of manpower.

Isn't the same thing when you've got to make em run everyday and live in the shit with the blokes. Most just don't the physiology for it.
>>
>>68057661
No I didn't. What one person sees as fascism, another would see as paradise.
>>
File: 1379604873521.png (1 MB, 1248x866) Image search: [Google]
1379604873521.png
1 MB, 1248x866
>>
File: 780.jpg (33 KB, 780x425) Image search: [Google]
780.jpg
33 KB, 780x425
Threadly reminder that Dizzy was best girl. She was a ride or die type chick.
>>
>>68056606
>>68055569
From one of America's greatest Statesmen and Military leaders, Dwight D. Eisenhower: "This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."
>>
File: s_a04_0RTRMNRG-930x675.jpg (212 KB, 930x675) Image search: [Google]
s_a04_0RTRMNRG-930x675.jpg
212 KB, 930x675
>>68056312
>>
>>68060549

so instead of the military industrial conplex backing a fascist state we're better off with bankers and corporations backing a 2 party democratic state. so wonderful I feel like I'm in a utopia
>>
Yeah it's very redpilled, fascism in general is superior
>>
>>68059847
I really want to suck her beautiful nipples.
>>
>>68060764
>>68060735
>...The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
Military structures are not dependent on elective office therefore you invariably end up with despots.
Humanity has tested feudalism thoroughly, it doesn't work if you want a society that progresses forward.
>>
>>68060735
>Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others.
>>
>authoritarian society
>Nah dude it's fascism xDD
Fucking liberals
>>
>>68060968
>authoritarian society
>Nah dude it's fascism xDD
Who decides what is right and wrong?
You? King Henry? The Pope?
>>
File: nph starship troopers.jpg (31 KB, 590x443) Image search: [Google]
nph starship troopers.jpg
31 KB, 590x443
>that part where the officers walk in for the first time in their cool black uniforms

I didn't know much about nazi stuff when I first saw this movie, but I knew those uniforms made them look badass. Now years later I figured they were supposed to resemble SS officers. I don't know if they tried to made the movie look dystopia or something because it really seemed to have everything figured out and didn't feel oppressive at all. The parents of Rico seemed to be very wealthy and didn't want him to join the forces, implying that they didn't either.
>>
>>68061144
>...it really seemed to have everything figured out
That's part of the problem. Heinlein argued that society could finally settle ALL matters of morals.
That is dubious and Troopers is pure fiction. The only practical system that provides consistent progress is a system where personal freedoms reign supreme.
>>
>>68061144
The movie is set in a universe where the Nazis won.
>>
>>68056759
You first
>>
File: fedora.webm (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
fedora.webm
3 MB, 500x281
>>68061332
>The only practical system that provides consistent progress is a system where personal freedoms reign supreme.
>>
>>68061746
I guess you're also referring to one of the greatest soldiers in history: "Such a confederation must be one of equals. The weakest must come to the conference table with the same confidence as do we, protected as we are by our moral, economic, and military strength. That table, though scarred by many past frustrations, cannot be abandoned for the certain agony of the battlefield."
In other words: Might does NOT make right.
>>
"Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative. Together we must learn how to compose differences, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose. Because this need is so sharp and apparent I confess that I lay down my official responsibilities in this field with a definite sense of disappointment. As one who has witnessed the horror and the lingering sadness of war -- as one who knows that another war could utterly destroy this civilization which has been so slowly and painfully built over thousands of years -- I wish I could say tonight that a lasting peace is in sight."
>>
>>68061987
>Eisenhower
>one of the greatest soldiers in history

wew
>>
>>68062045
Supreme commander of the biggest army in human history under which Heinlein served and which sole purpose was the defeat of human despotism and untold misery.
Eisenhower: fact
Skymarshalls: fiction
>>
File: 1440181420357.png (213 KB, 423x500) Image search: [Google]
1440181420357.png
213 KB, 423x500
>>68062151
>Supreme commander of the biggest army in human history under which Heinlein served and which sole purpose was the defeat of human despotism and untold misery.

It seems you are a troll or a Jew,
Either way I', done with you
>>
>>68062214
You're an idiot.
>>
>>68062214
I'm white and not jewish and my grandpa killed 7 guys (5 germans and 2 romanians) during WW2

He only told me the story one time and he spit on the ground after he mentioned it. Fuck Nazi cucks.
>>
>>68061987
>In other words: Might does NOT make right.
Correction: might makes right, but society should strive to reduce the influence of said naturally occurring phenomena, to the benefit of all parties involved.
>>
>>68062360
>...but society should strive to reduce the influence of said naturally occurring phenomena, to the benefit of all parties involved.
More eloquent.
>>
Quick footnote: What do armies do? They fight enemies. When an army becomes the dominant force in a society, it tasks itself with civil societies total protection. But if there are no external enemies, the force automatically gets directed inwards, because armies need enemies fulfill its function. Hence the Police state is born.
This is all old news and Heinlein supporters have to remember that he was writing fiction. Prose. Speculating a thesis.
>>
>>68062151
>Supreme commander of the biggest army in human history
I thought Eisenhower was American, not a Soviet
>>
>>68062613
He was supreme Allied commander.
In other words ALL the armies of the America, Europe, Africa, Eurasia, Australia combined who fought for the Allies.
>>
File: gulf of tonkin.jpg (19 KB, 305x165) Image search: [Google]
gulf of tonkin.jpg
19 KB, 305x165
>>68060650
Gulf of Tonkin boat attack is more appropriate since it's an actual fact that it never happened.
>>
>Nevertheless, let's assume that the human race manages to balance birth and death, just right to fit its own planets, and thereby becomes peaceful. What happens? Soon (about next Wednesday) the Bugs move in, kill off this breed which "ain'ta gonna study war no more" and the universe forgets us. Which still may happen. Either we spread and wipe out the Bugs, or they spread and wipe us out — because both races are tough and smart and want the same real estate. (...)
>But does Man have any "right" to spread through the universe? Man is what he is, a wild animal with the will to survive, and (so far) the ability, against all competition. Unless one accepts that, anything one says about morals, war, politics — you name it — is nonsense. Correct morals arise from knowing what Man is — not what do gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be. The universe will let us know — later — whether or not Man has any "right" to expand through it.
>>
>>68055289
Its a fascist dictatorship.
>>
Heinlein assumes the following can be delivered by a militaristic society:
>"We have such a theory now; we can solve any moral problem, on any level. Self-interest, love of family, duty to country, responsibility toward the human race — we are even developing an exact ethic for extra-human relations."
It has not proven to be the case. See any military society in history, This is utter bullshit and only a civil society can ever hope to approximate such an answer.
>>
>>68063172
So?
>>
Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom anyone has. Use that freedom.
>>
>>68062599

Britain has a democracy but they also have cameras on every street and have police that can arrest you for mean tweets on the internet and you can even go to jail for killing someone burglarizing your home. That's a police state if there ever was one.
>>
>>68055289
Didn't humans start the war?
>>
>>68055289

don't forget fair and balanced news
>>
>>68065863
Fox News is a good news program.
>>
>>68060764
yeah maybe thats the reason the federation is loosing the war against the communist bugs in the book.

quote rico : Every time we killed a thousand Bugs at a cost of one M.I. it was a net victory for the Bugs.

why? because the bugs are communist by design. and they are not the dumb insects from the movie, they build ftl-capable ships and carry laser-weapons + are building alliances with other races(skinnys). Mankind "persuades" the skinnies with brute force to switch sides.....

>>68057751
>You could do your term of service as a civil servant for example.
the federation can use you as the federation pleases, civil service is for people not capable joining M.I. or the flight staff...

>>68056606
>you don't have to deal with degeneracy under fascism

the only reason one cannot join the federation service in the book is if one is not able to understand the oath.

on the other hand they got a death penalty for even smaller crimes for members of the federation.

which leads me to a point in the book which seems like a plot hole but is imho intended by heinlein. they hang a pedophile member of the squad with the justification : if he gets therapy and becomes able to understand his wrong doings he would commit suicide anyways.
if he is so mentally disturbed not to get that raping little girls is wrong, how did he come to service the federation in the fist place.(the educational system is well explained in the book)

btw: in the book it is chic for wealthier families not to serve. ricos family is very proud of it til buenos aires.......

>>68058317
>women where POGs or where in the Navy like Carmen

yeah but it was pretty well explained why women, and only women are piloting the ships and why men, and only men are the grunts in the M.I.

>powered exoskeleton
dammit imagine a decent movie made of it with a drop like described in the book. big badass battleships divebombing into the atmosphere of a planet an machinegunning soldiers(literally) to the ground
>>
>>68055289

>Buenos Aires
>white majority
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.