[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 10
File: large_unnamed.jpg (189 KB, 980x1453) Image search: [Google]
large_unnamed.jpg
189 KB, 980x1453
I'm genuinely confused that any reviews call this film "scary."
>>
"atmospheric" would be more accurate
>>
>Film never claims to be scary or is trying to spook you
>why isn't this scary?
>>
I didn't find it scary, but it was tense. I just want the dvdrip to come out already :c I had a hard time understanding the father during a few scenes, and also had to piss like 3 times
>>
>>68021910
I didn't say the film claimed to be scary, though? I'm talking about reviews that call it terrifying, scare the shit out of you, scariest horror film in years, etc
>>
>>68021793
Because people are idiots and don't know the difference between scary and unsettling.
>>
>>68021793
Why did the twins play dead when she yelled at them during the prayer? People in this movie had a bad case of being overly irrational and turning on each other.
>>
The shots of Caleb in the woods as it was getting dark was pretty spooky.

It was more tense than anything.
>>
>>68021991
So just like people during the witch trial era
>>
>>68022006
That's true, but you'd think a family that did everything together would be a bit more loving and close
>>
File: 1444014640445.gif (1024 KB, 306x218) Image search: [Google]
1444014640445.gif
1024 KB, 306x218
>tfw I very much would like to live deliciously
>>
>>68021991
Hysteria. You have to place it into the context of the time period. Witchcraft was real to them, God and Satan and sin were all tangible, constant things that ran their lives.. So you have two little kids living at the edge of the wilderness, having experienced the mysterious disappearance of their infant brother, an older and unreachable older sister tells them she's a witch and she'll kill them, they see that their sister milks a goat and blood comes out, now their oldest brother is having crazy convulsions and a rotting apple just came out of his mouth while everyone is screaming and crying. And that's on top of Black Philip possibly actually talking to them and manipulating them. Their hysterical minds believe Thomasin is a witch, and at fault for Caleb's sickness--and they would have been taught at this point of signs of witchcraft (stopping prayer, for instance) so their bodies and brains catch up to their heightened psychological state and they feel like they can't pray.
>>
>>68022155
I'd fuck that voice tbhonest

Also dat ass...brb
>>
>>68022171
>Witchcraft was real to them
>to them

dawg did you even see the end
>>
>>68022208
but at that point in the movie we weren't sure, so his statement is accurate

well the old hag did turn hot to seduce caleb so yeah we kinda knew. But the kids didn't
>>
>>68022171
Yeah I understand that during the time period, and them being an even more religious family than most puritans would lead to hysteria, especially among the father and mother. It just seemed to me that the twins were fucking around the whole movie until that scene.
>>
>>68021793
You know what, this is the best film I've seen this year by quite a considerable margin. I fucking loved it.
>>
>>68022293
Well it's ok to be wrong so you have that.
>>
>The V Vitch

Someone actually got paid to design this.
>>
>>68021991
>Why did the twins play dead when she yelled at them during the prayer? People in this movie had a bad case of being overly irrational and turning on each other.
Did you bother to pay attention at all?

The twins were being manipulated by Black Philip.

The family was starting to turn on each other based on tensions that were already there exacerbated by a dangerous situation (ignoring witches/the devil, the threats of starvation and having to go back to a village that hates them out of desperation). And yes, people in desperate situations looking for a way out tend to get irrational and turn on each other.

It's no wonder movies are getting stupider with morons like you needing every fucking thing explained to them.
>>
>>68022378
Why you so angry tho?
>>
>>68022293
>fucking around
did you pay attention to the last 20 minutes? Black Philip was actually talking to them, but the family just assumed it was imagination. You're supposed to think they're fucking around until shit keeps getting realer and realer
>>
>>68022287
wait, you see the witch before that?

I watched the shitty version that is on Kickass so I think there may have been some moments missing and really dark parts were very difficult to make out

I remember the part right after Sam disappeared showed some glimpses but I couldn't really tell anything about the age (plus it was dark as fuck)
>>
File: Kill-List-poster.jpg (248 KB, 1059x1497) Image search: [Google]
Kill-List-poster.jpg
248 KB, 1059x1497
any more atmospheric horror movies like the VVitch?

someone already said Kill List and Resolution, any others?
>>
>>68021843
This. I went in thinking "scariest movie in years!" as per reviews and left with my dick quite literally in my hand.
>>
>>68022433
The Borderlands, although it is found footage.
>>
>Thomasin was schizophrenic and kidnapped Samuel herself
>Caleb was seduced by Thomasin's "witch" personality which was foreshadowed by him lusting after his sister and a suspiciously similar clevage shot of her and the witch
>Then he was hallucinating from malnourishment and a bacteria infected rotten apple
>Thomasin freed the goats/opened the pen and killed the twins
>Everybody else are just cunts, specially the twins

You know this to be true.
>>
its more unnerving/uncomfortable than outright scary
>>
>>68022367
someone from the 17th century
>>
>>68022424
well shit man you should go see it in theatres. Movie is really good, support it

but yeah, at the start we see [spoilder]the witch rubbing the baby's guts on her (you're right about this part; in this scene she is a nasty old hag). Later, when Caleb is lost and comes upon the witch's hut in the woods, she comes out and she's a beautiful younger woman and kisses him, and the next time we see Caleb he's naked and possessed/cursed/whatever[/spoiler]
>>
>>68022424
you see her three times: when she takes Samuel, when she appears as a younger woman to Caleb, and in the barn. Well, four times if she's in the group of witches at the end.
>>
>>68022567
>spoilder
fuck me
>>
Surprisingly good child performances. Wasnt scary at all, it had an uneasy atmosphere and an air of dread and threat, but it was certainly not scary at all.
>>
File: spoopy.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
spoopy.gif
3 MB, 300x200
>>68022433
>that fuckin forest scene
>>
>>68022568
yeah... so which part indicates that she was an old hag (was my question)? nothing I could make out seemed to indicate that
>>
>>68022614
She is shown as an old hag in all the scenes she's in except for the time she seduces Caleb.
>>
>>68022614
First time she is shown is with the babeh. You can tell by her backside and hands that she's a hag.

Second time she is shown, she's fine as fuck

Third time she is shown, she is feeding on one of the sheep (not Black Philip). Its a full blown ass shot

Now please stop talking about a movie you clearly didn't see in full
>>
>>68022155
cat is kill ;_;
>>
File: NewMutants.jpg (130 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
NewMutants.jpg
130 KB, 640x320
I've never seen such a well made piece of shit. I thought it was awful. It tried to be a modern day Shining, but failed. I appreciate the effort.

In other news, VVitchfu was cast as Magik in New Mutants so that's very fitting. She was great in the movie and hope to see her in more stuff.
>>
>>68021793
When people say it's the scariest film they've seen or something like that, they're probably talking about how it sticks with you after you see it. The visuals are unsettling, the music is unsettling, the setting is unsettling. Everything about the film is creepy and the more you think about it the more creepy it becomes.

The Witch is scary for me because it plays on the age old idea that there are things hiding just out of sight that are evil and can hurt you and you will never understand or be able to predict them. That mysterious quality is what really gets me. The animals in the film seem normal but they aren't, the woods seems normal but it isn't, and the witch praying upon the family in mysterious ways leaves you to wonder what she's going to do next. After the film is finished your mind starts reeling with all the implications of the hows and whys of the devil, the witches and the forest and woods.

I dont' know about you but when I start thinking about stuff like that when I'm trying to sleep or walk down a dark alley etc. it creeps me the hell out. No amount of jump scares or violin spikes can achieve that.
>>
File: 1459727961165.png (224 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1459727961165.png
224 KB, 500x330
Did William redeem himself at the end or did he just lose hope

He quoted from a part in the Book of Job where Job has given up on life and tells his friends that he basically wants to die. But immediately after it God tells him "I gotchu senpai" and calls him a fag for doubting Him. I was wondering what the relevance of that was.
>>
>>68022672
>Second time she is shown, she's fine as fuck

Though it should be noted she has hag hands when she puts them on Caleb's head.
>>
>>68022672
lol well you obviously didn't read my post
>>
>>68022752
I chew on your dick if you say one more word
>>
>>68022293
You mean the scene where Army Dog rapes and butchers them and hides their bodies in the river while playing up the story that they are still out in the forest playing amongst themselves? Fuck man that movie's hardcore.
>>
>>68022767
>living this deliciously
>>
>>68022475
Nah, witches and Satan are real in this movie.
>>
>>68022696
I took it to be his giving up fighting but not necessarily losing his faith (the way his wife and daughter did). Hard to say about the fighting though since he was also severely injured.
>>
>tfw you'll never sign the Devil's book and live deliciously

why live
>>
>>68022696
I didn't pick up on that, good catch. Honestly that makes it all the more tragic because the dad just gets fucked up by Philip instead of getting to redeem himself and his family
>>
>>68022378
To be fair I thought I understood the movie pretty well but I was also unsure of exactly why they were playing dead.
>>
>>68022796
don't you still have to burn in hell eventually?
>>
Do you think Caleb and Samuel are in hell, then? Caleb at least seemed to regain his faith at the end and died happy. Samuel, though...
>>
>>68022816
I thought they fainted? My brother had night terrors as a kid and one time the scene was so chaotic my little sister just fainted on the spot.
>>
>>68022829
I feel like witches live a pretty based life when they finally reach hell
>>
any good torrents out yet?
>>
>>68022855
nobody has fun in hell, that's the point
even demons get tormented for eternity
>>
>>68021793
Sorry you didn't get any cheap jump-scares
>>
>>68022816
Hysteria of the moment and the build-up to that moment, plus their genuine belief that Thomasin is a witch, plus their desire to see her punished since they don't like her.

Notice how even when they're locked together later, they don't go huddle with her, as you might expect two younger children in that traumatic moment to do.
>>
>>68022367
The double V's is actually a reference to how they could save money by not purchasing uppercase letter blocks for M and W or if they lost either of those two blocks they could just use two V's.

also ur fagget
>>
>>68022696
I think the scene the night before where he was praying and begging God for forgiveness shows that he didn't lose faith, but when he says "Corruption, thou art my father" he's giving up hope of making it out of his material situation alive. Like he thought "I might be able to kill Black Philip but I'm going to get lost in the woods or the witch is going to kill me or I'll starve to death"
>>
>>68022915
you let me interpret hell however I please
>>
>>68022922
This is the shittiest argument ever used.

>hurr if you didn't like it that means you must like jump scares, or gorefests
>>
>>68022857
*sigh* fucking no ;_;
>>
>the twins start to be physically repulsed by any display of faith in God
>Thomasin can pray just fine
>this somehow means that Thomasin is also bewitched
grade A parenting
>>
File: Resolution-2012.jpg (416 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Resolution-2012.jpg
416 KB, 600x900
>>68022433
seconding this question pls respond
>>
>>68022857
Some anon in a thread we had last month said to expect DVD-quality sometime in May. I forget why he said May.

>>68023047
>>
>>68022829
I don't know. I wonder what the 16th and 17th century beliefs about witches was in that regard. They believed witches would burn in hell if they were executed, but did they believe witches were otherwise exempt from death and therefore torment as long as they did Satan's bidding?
>>
>>68022922
>implying OP complained about not getting jump scares or even said anything negative about the movie

hurp
>>
>>68022433
Outpost? it was the first atmorpheric horror experience i had, but i was a kid back then and nver watched it again so it might not be the case at all.
>>
Did the mother sign the book?
>>
>>68021991
>The Crucible
>Read it
>>
I wish there were more horror films similar to this one, which take the historical setting and genuinely dive into it instead of using a "vague kind of historical setting" like other films.
>>
>>68023525
No, but she did get her titty eaten by a raven
>>
>watching this movie with a girl who just told you about 15 minutes prior that she might be pregnant of your kid

true terror, folks

right there
>>
>>68021843
"boring as shit" would be more accurate. This is pretentious faux-arthouse nonsense, and /tv/ bought it hook line and sinker.
>>
>>68022696
He didn't redeem himself, but I think he realized that he committed the sin of Pride. He knew more than the others, everything he thought was right and there was no way he could be wrong. And it killed his whole family. Pretty sure he mentions pride before dying.
>>
>>68023992
That actress's thing is basically inappropriate breastfeeding. I hope it's on her resume under "special skills."
>>
>>68024201
are you sure it was really yours?
>>
>>68024203
What's pretentious about it? Seemed like a pretty straightforward thriller/drama to me.
>>
>>68024203
How is it pretentious? I found it to be rather explicit in its intentions.
>>
>>68024203
(You)
>>
>>68021793
This is the most wildly overrated film since "Guardians of the Galaxy." It is a film so far up it's own ass that it forgets to be entertaining. Everybody raves about how atmospheric and innovative the film is. They shot using available light and used a generic "spooky movie" score. The story wasn't even interesting. "Family is banished to the woods. They think there is a witch. There is."
Then it turns out that the goat is Satan? Jeezy Creezy, this movie is fucking bad.
>>
I had a nightmare that the devil was trying to take my soul and I think it was related to The Witch.

Oh and the movie is good.
>>
>>68024390
>>68024393
down here a movie can't try to be good or it's "pretentious".
>>
>>68023992
That's one of the signs of witchcraft (animals suckling blood from a woman's teat) so I wonder if her soul ended up being damned for inadvertently signing some kind of pact or agreement.
>>
>>68024457
Well that's such an airtight argument I might as well give up before I even start.
>>
>>68024457
Right? Wish it had more awesome gory fight scenes and hilarious one liners. It's way worse than my favourite movie, Deadpool (Which is EPIC!!).
>>
>>68022612
>implying the bird pecking the moms nipple wasn't scary
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (118 KB, 1515x965) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
118 KB, 1515x965
performance of the year
>>
>>68024393
>>68024390
I don't know about the other anon, but to me (and this is very much colored by the critical reaction to the film) it comes off as a horror movie that feels it's too good to be scary. It seems like every time a person points out that this movie isn't scary, people rush in with the, "hurrp durrp, you just want jump scares" argument. There's even a relatively famous review floating around online calling "scariness" an overrated quality in horror films. I think that is a ridiculous argument. You wouldn't say that humor is an overrated quality in comedy films.

If you want to make a period drama based on the religious beliefs of New England Puritans, go ahead, I applaud the idea, but don't market it as a horror movie if it isn't one.
>>
>>68023049
The father was probably freaked and didn't know who to believe. His locking them all up and waiting for the morning to take them to the village wasn't a bad plan.

The mother clearly had it out for Tomasine.
>>
>>68022796
>tfw you don't have butter
>>
>>68024868
My theater cracked up at that scene.
>>
>>68024872
>sheep go to heaven
>goats are literally satan or maybe it was just that goat I don't know it's been a while since I watched the flick so I'm a bit foggy
>>
>>68024984
People in my showing sounded pretty disgusted and/or shocked when that happened
>>
>>68025050
They sound like a bunch of puritans.
>>
>>68024984
Dang, after it was over me and my cousin overheard this dude bitch about the accents. But pretty good experience non the less.
>>
>>68022695
This post is exactly right, I feel the same way. I saw The Witch over a month ago and I'm still thinking about it with a sense of unease.
>>
>>68025093
It was pretty nasty, to be fair.
>>
>>68024933
do you think the witch had at least some scene where you could say "well, that's scary" even if you didn't feel scared?
i was thinking about that these days, that maybe you don't need to be frightened by a horror film or laugh on a comedy film as long as you agree that it's scary/funny.
>>
>>68025130
I mean yes, I would personally classify this as a horror movie, just not a very good one. The problem I have is with the critics who argue that a horror movie doesn't need to be scary in order to be good.
>>
>>68024512
Yea I hate the word anyway. It's thrown around and in fact makes the people saying it pretentious. It's funny
>>
>>68024933
It is a horror movie though. A family is put in a situation which is horrifying. Their members are killed off one by one, seemingly by an external force. Just because it presents this without using genre tropes doesn't make it any less of a horror film. That you personally don't find the decisions it made scary doesn't mean that they aren't, only that they didn't live up to your expectations. I'm interested to know, given the general outline of the film, what more you could expect than ground up children and possessed goats?

I personally found it a lot scarier than something like Insidious or The Conjuring because it was less predictable, despite being based around a very common and well known supernatural being. If the movie has the baby character, one who is often safe in more traditional horror films as it seemingly represents purity, killed and rubbed all over the antagonists body then all bets really are off. The tension from that point on far exceeded most other hollywood horror films of the 21st century for me.

I will say though that seeing it in an empty cinema definitely helped, it's always the ideal environment to watch a horror film in.
>>
File: witchfan.jpg (39 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
witchfan.jpg
39 KB, 620x372
I was slightly disappointed they didn't work in the threat of local tribes, but then again since the witch was real in the film, maybe the local tribes knew well enough to avoid this area.
>>
Where's muh rip?
>>
>>68021793
'm genuinely confused that youre gay
>>
>>68025376
Yeah, I think my first post came out wrong. I would certainly consider this a horror movie. The point I was trying to make (poorly) is that I agree with people when they criticize it for not being all that scary.

And don't get me wrong, I don't unilaterally hate this movie. It did a lot of things I liked. The atmosphere was great, and it was extremely thorough in it's depiction of Puritanical life. The dialects in particular stand out to me as an example of this. I have a BFA in acting, and a big part of my training was in studying historical dialects, early American being one of them. This is the only movie I can remember seeing that actually got it (mostly) right. Usually movies about American settlers will have them speak in a posh sounding RP, or just modern General American. So that was pretty cool. Granted a lot of people bitched about the accents, but whatcha gonna do?
>>
>>68026192
The twins make me think of the Publix Thanksgiving commercials. Regional thing, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVLOydduvqg&nohtml5=False
>>
>>68024933
>It seems like every time a person points out that this movie isn't scary, people rush in with the, "hurrp durrp, you just want jump scares" argument

Sounds like it isn't pretentious just that you've been conditioned by bad horror movies over the years.

This film was a breath of fresh air in horror.
>>
>>68026499
I remember this commercial. The voiceover lady at the end always grossed me out. Her mouth sounds so...spitty.
>>
>>68026499
ewwww what a disgusting recording
>>
>>68026561
Again, I feel like you're jumping to modern horror. Yes, most horror movies are garbage (and this has always kind of been the case), but there are also examples of non-gimmicky horror films that also succeed in being scary. The Shining comes to mind.
>>
>>68026192
I don't know, the Indians in the beginning gave them a weird look as they left, maybe they knew there was a witch out there.
>>
>>68026728
>>68026663
Sounds like a combination of a cheap microphone and bad mic technique. Since she's speaking so quietly, I'd bet she's right up close to the mic, which is causing it to pick up a massive amount of sibilance (the gross smacky sounds). Usually decent VO mics cut down on this, but being that this is a cheaply produced commercial for a regional grocery store, the probably used a shitty mic.
>>
File: 1456295623547.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1456295623547.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>68021843
The music also made the whole thing unsettling.

People calling it "scary"probably consider 'The Divide' a horror.
>>
>The Witch is a part of a new wave of horror that has cast aside the idea of going for direct shock value and instead uses the concept of horror to broach an entirely different topic. It feels like this is the direction that horror wants to head in, after years of overly grotesque, "torture porn"-themed movies from the early oughts until now. While the formula is still being worked out, directors are still figuring out just how to scare audiences while removing most of what makes horror movies work. The new direction is exciting, and The Witch is a perfect example of how terrifying a movie can be even when not much happens in it.

True or false?
>>
>>68026776
>The Shining

I agree and its what i would compare it to atmospherically.

In recent years Berberian Sound Studio also tackles this alienation topic but in a rather giallo manner.

>>68028093
Yes. Horror should not be contained to a set formula of monsters, murderers and gore.
But expect not immediate results
>>
>>68023525

Yeah. she opens it when she hallucinates her dead son
>>
>>68021954
>>68021793

>the scariest movie since the Exorcist
every fucking year
>>
>>68026810
That was just to show how low on the social rung this family was. Even the tribal indians are allowed inside the town walls over them
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.