[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think Fellini's stance on Hedonism and Hedonistic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Federico_Fellini_NYWTS.jpg (783 KB, 3000x2159) Image search: [Google]
Federico_Fellini_NYWTS.jpg
783 KB, 3000x2159
What do you think Fellini's stance on Hedonism and Hedonistic pleasures was, if he had any at all? It seems like he gets remembered for depicting Hedonistic lifestyles in his films more than anything, but I think with a lot of them he was either outright vilifying that sort of lifestyle or showing that it is more or less unavoidable in modern society, which is pretty evident in La Dolce Vita
>>
>>68019921
Why isn't this thread about capeshit or Star Wars?
>>
Seeing these threads with no replies makes me want to finally watch them, just so your thread won't be dead next time. Sorry mate
>>
People always conflate the ideas of content and intent. Felini was certainly making a commentary on hedonism as you say, but most audiences and mainstream critics lack the ability to perform more than a surface level analysis of the film.
>>
File: fellini-u.jpg (28 KB, 731x316) Image search: [Google]
fellini-u.jpg
28 KB, 731x316
Well, the way I've interpreted it La Dolce Vita is essentially about a person looking for the sweet life among the social elites of Rome, which is naturally where we all would start looking for a sweet life. Everytime Marcello thinks he's found it, a spell is broken and he gets to see the reality behind the facade. Maddalena was a slut, the ghost of Mary was all a sham, Stirner was actually extremely depressed and Sylvia was a stupid pushover.
Really the only person that seems truly satesfied with her life is the girl working at the restaurant. Notice how at the end of the film she tries to tell him something, but he can't hear her under all the noise.
The Jesus statue in the sky in the opening shot is just a fake construction, but the fish from the bottom in the end is the real.
>>
>>68019921
Who's this "fellini" guy?, what powers does he have?.
>>
>>68022093
Basically what I'm trying to say is that the sweet life is a sham and you won't find it looking among the elites. Things are rarely as they initally seem.
Take a note, /r9k/
>>
>>68019921
Philosophies of entry-level cinema no longer affect me.
>>
>>68021392
>People always conflate the ideas of content and intent.
can you expand on this? if I recall the intial critical consensus on La Dolce Vita was overwhelmingly positive
>>
>>68022314
Don't come here to this capeshit obsessed shithole and pretend you're above Fellini, you liar.
>>
>>68022314
>Acting like Fellini is entry-level for this board

lol
>>
>>68022314
condemning the entire concept of entry-level is complete nonsense and illogical as fuck. where would you even be without it?
>>
Just finished watching it. The father episode was the best.

I think it could've been a bit shorter though.
>>
i love 8 1/2, i think it might be my favorite ever
but i kept falling asleep during la dolce vita and found i vitelloni kind of underwelming
what next?
>>
>>68023065
La Strada
Juliet of the Spirits
Amarcord
Nights of Cabiria
his entire fucking filmography basically
>>
>>68023114
+1 for La Strada.
>>
>>68022881
I agree in that it does feel a bit laborious at times but each segment is extremely important in driving home the film's thesis
>>
Look, if someone's making movies, there's a 99% chance that he's a rich degenerate faggot. I think that says it all. Even if he's making a movie criticizing the lifestyles of rich degenerate faggots, it's not sincere, it's just made to mock the underclass.
>>
>>68024737
>there's a 99% chance that he's a rich degenerate faggot
who better to make a commentary on the lifestyles of the rich and the famous then? also you're maybe thinking of Visconti, Fellini was middle class. also, the vast majority of directors get their start on the indie circuit nowadays with minimal budgets and usually have to come up with the funds by themselves. and who's to say the underclass don't deserve mocking? needless sympathy for them is just as bad as active derision. Look at Bunuel, he was born rich, suffered through poverty in his formative years, and still vilified the poor in Viridiana
>>
>>68024892
Fuck off.
>>
8 1/2 is overrated t b h
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.