[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remakes... in your mind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: totalrecall[1].jpg (32 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
totalrecall[1].jpg
32 KB, 620x349
Do you ever think about big budget remakes that will never exist? Do you ever wonder what they'd be like?

Not even "oh man, it would be so cool." Just mulling over the hypothetical regardless of how much you do or do not want it? Is that something you ever do?
>>
>>68009376

I wonder how many remakes manage to be brutally shit despite having the originals winning formula to draw from, eg , Total recall, Robocop, Nightmare on elm, and the forthcoming Ghostbusters which will almost certainly be shit.

its as if they want the remake to be terrible on purpose,
>>
>>68009821
Maybe it's some affectation of translating or transliterating a product of its time, into our time? The movies you mentioned are clearly born and bred in the 1980's (even if Total Recall came out in 1990, c'mon, you get it) and there is a certain zeitgeist therein that is very alien to right now (or 3, 4, 5 years ago).

I suspect it would be somewhat comparable to trying to make a car run on wood. Gasoline burns... wood burns? Put that in the tank!

Not something done on purpose, but exactly the way it would most likely happen.
>>
>>68009376
how bad was that total recall remake? I mean, I know that it it shit, but wasting your time bullshit level or watch only if bored level?
>>
File: WWTEL.jpg (308 KB, 883x1238) Image search: [Google]
WWTEL.jpg
308 KB, 883x1238
>>68009821

>let's remake a movie
>ok
>but it can't be the same thing, you have to change it just enough so it's different
>got it
>our budget's going to be twice if not three times the original however so we need to make that back up with ticket sales, what was the original rated?
>R
>make it PG-13
>will that work
>Why wouldn't it?
>>
>>68009911
>transliterating a product of its time, into our time?

i understand that some things wont work for example Robocops ad breaks were changed into news/info breaks a good choice for the internet generation but they dropped nearly all the sardonic humour, additionally his death was pathetic compared to the original so his resurrection as Robocop literally the law incarnate was way less impactful. there was some self awareness where the movie chopped and changed his armor colours but it fell flat.

total recall remake was a mess and i can barley remember it because it was so generic future cyber tech like a myriad of games,movies etc etc.

Nightmare on elm ditched jovial sadist freddy for asshole demon freddy, making him a molester who covets innocence rather than what he was in the originals a destroyer of innocence, the movie suffered immensely

>>68009969
>make it PG-13
dead pool just got the studios attention on that.
>>
The only remakes I want to see are of movies that were too low budget to do what they wanted and actually suffered for it or movies that had a good formula and premise but fucked everything else up hard.

Comparable to the first adaption of Judge Dredd and the reboot Dredd.
I don't want a make-over and I don't want some artsy fartsy shit. I want them to take a movie that had problems that nobody likes and fix those problems and then polish it up a little bit; make it shine in a dignified way and put it under some nice light.
>>
>>68010264
>dead pool just got the studios attention on that.

Did it really?
>>
>>68009376
Why not remake bad movies and make them good.
>>
I daydreamed for 20 years about seeing a Mechanic remake. It's a good Statham kicking ass movie, but it's no Charles Bronson assassin film.
>>
>>68010376
They're doing a sequel or something. It doesn't look good.
>>
>>68009966
I put it off for years but was pleasantly surprised when I came round to it.
The ending was tagged on but at least it tried to do something different.
>>
I sometimes day dream about well mined classics that are actually kind of out of fashion now. Like sword and sandal epics. I guess Ridley Scott thought something similar and tried to revive the genre but it seems he failed.

A revival of I, Claudius might be cool. When's the last time we saw a King Arthur movie?
>>
>>68010350
The very reason I made this thread.

I nearly constantly daydream of a remake of Manos: The Hands of Fate,
>>
>>68010498
>When's the last time we saw a King Arthur movie?
There was that one with Clive Owen but the only interesting bit in it was the Vikings tbf
>>
>>68010498
They've been doing that and trying to make them all epics like Lord of the Rings and failing super fucking hard.
>>
>>68010425
>from the director of that strange german vampire movie
>statham, alba, jones
I don't quite know what to think really.

>>68010583
>King Arthur
I kinda liked it. Fuqua has a certain grandiose charm or intent buried in his murderfests that people often misinterpret or flat out miss.
>>
>>68010302
Was just thinking this the other day.
>>
>>68010841
I mean I think it'd be easy pickings. You already have all the hardest work done; you have everything there for you out on the table and ready to assemble and all you have to do is make it not-bad. You've got an instant cash cow of the year.

Instead of remaking series that already did good, make movies that did bad into a good series. Everyone wins and it's just lazy + profitable enough to appeal to Jews.
>>
>>68010350
>no In Time remake
>no Six String Samurai remake
>no good Hitman adaptation
Life is suffering.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.