[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he a pleb or a patrician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: Roger-Ebert_612x451.jpg (87 KB, 612x451) Image search: [Google]
Roger-Ebert_612x451.jpg
87 KB, 612x451
Was he a pleb or a patrician?
>>
>Gave low scores to Clockwork Orange and Blue Velvet because MUH RAPE

Pleb.
>>
He was a soothsayer.
>>
He just wrote whatever review he thought would help his career the most, like all critics.
>>
Someone post the Garfield review
>>
He saw a shitload of movies in his lifetime, but

>>68007301
this.
>>
He just spoke off the cuff and got away with it because he was a good writer.
>>
>>68007301

well he's wrong about blue velvet, but clockwork orange is complete shit.

rape scene is very fappable though.
>>
>>68007376

I agree
>>
>>68007301
Cockwork Borange is awful stop being an edgy 12 year old.
>>
>giving terrible reviews because of his own politics and morals as a professional critic

Pleb as fuck but he was a good writer desu
>>
Hated how him and Gene thought all horror films were shit.
>>
>>68007574

/hor/ proved them right.
>>
He can be way off sometimes but in general he's not far wrong
>>
He does retrospective reviews better than "current" reviews. In fact, he does better retrospective reviews than anybody else. His reappraisal of Apocalypse Now is phenomenal.

People using the pleb/patrician dichotomy miss the point enormously. He just loved watching films. People act as though critics are the definitive way of deciding if a film is good but a critic's opinion only has as much validity as the reader is willing to give it. I value his opinion highly, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
>>
>>68007276
He was a middlebrow.
>>
>>68007276
Why not both?
>>
>>68007415
This, it's basically fight club for old people.
>>
>>68007415
quentin tarantino was asked about clockwork orange once and he said that kubrick was fapping while he was editing the first 25 minutes and that he essentially made an entire film just so he could make that first 25 minutes of footage
>>
>>68009952

This is the same guy who puts feet in every fucking movie.

A Clockwork Orange isn't very good, though.
>>
Pro: he never cared about movie popularity, and if something pleb was good he explicitly said so
Con: cares about his ethics more than the actual value of the movie

>>68007541
>read how he gave Africa Addio a low score because he said it was "racist"
>don't recall it being racist, just some fucking great footage with voiceover
>discover the english dub literally translated all the lines from the italian script into white power propaganda
>from "these are the africans doing things" into "the white man has abandoned them, now they're blood-thirsty savages"
that made me genuinely mad.
>>
>>68010311
>cares about his ethics more than the actual value of the movie
He gave Dirty Harry a positive review despite hating its politics
>>
>>68009952
Sounds like Saving Private Ryan and the opening scenes
>>
>>68010334
I said ethics, look at >>68007301
>>
>>68010088
What's bad about it?
>>
>>68009952
>that he essentially made an entire film just so he could make that first 25 minutes of footage
he did not say this
he said kubrick enjoyed making the opening scene
>>
>>68010663
He's being a hypocrite. He can put fap material in his movies, but Kubrick can't?
>>
>>68008880
This and it ought not be considered a slur either.
>>
>>68010770
No i meant what's bad about A Clockwork Orange?
Because to me, the only reason some hate it is it's because it's popular.
>>
>>68008218
>this post gets ignored
>could be taken as further proof of the post
>>
>>68010770
technically he's not a hypocrite
he might just be stating a fact and we can trust his opinion since he puts feet in everything he does
he might just be confirming that he masturbates to all the feet scenes he edits, whilst ignoring Uma, who cries over how it used to be her feet he masturbated to
>>
>>68011562
in retrospect anon was correct.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYmtpzmKlR8

This sums up my opinion of Ebert, calling a movie racist while the black guy doesn't agree.
>>
I haven't read many of his reviews, but I stopped because I didn't agree with any of them.

The whole video games can't be art because chess isn't art argument is retarded too. The person who made the rules and carved the chess pieces is obviously an artist. He just seems like a troll.
>>
>>68012048
>The person who made the rules and carved the chess pieces is obviously an artist.

wew lad
>>
>>68007276

one would have to scratch one's chin on such a dividing question.
>>
>>68012123

Sorry I meant autist.
>>
File: 1446055769423.webm (1 MB, 720x360) Image search: [Google]
1446055769423.webm
1 MB, 720x360
>rogerebert.com
>interstellar
>3.5 stars
>gravity
>4 stars
fucking faggot died just so his site could be overrun by retard critics
>>
>>68012123
Write a sentence instead of a meme. I'm curious.
>>
>>68012258
wtf the fuck happened here?
>>
File: 9-NyqqFFZttXmA17.png (100 KB, 418x313) Image search: [Google]
9-NyqqFFZttXmA17.png
100 KB, 418x313
>>68012270
i can't, his argument his solid

pic related: artist
>>
File: modern-art-white-canvas.jpg (5 KB, 240x176) Image search: [Google]
modern-art-white-canvas.jpg
5 KB, 240x176
>>68012392
>pic related exists so no paintings are art

Every medium has shit.
>>
>>68008880
this

He was neither pleb nor patrician, but somewhere inbetween like Leonard Maltin
>>
>>68008218
>People using the pleb/patrician dichotomy miss the point enormously. He just loved watching films. People act as though critics are the definitive way of deciding if a film is good but a critic's opinion only has as much validity as the reader is willing to give it. I value his opinion highly, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
good post

The problem with many so-called "patricians" is that they consider anyone who isn't obsessed with foreign/arthouse films to be a pleb.

Ebert appreciated classic Hollywood cinema, so that makes me him a patrician in my book.
>>
File: kino.jpg (102 KB, 632x681) Image search: [Google]
kino.jpg
102 KB, 632x681
>>68012258
>>
File: darth malak roger ebert.jpg (113 KB, 392x504) Image search: [Google]
darth malak roger ebert.jpg
113 KB, 392x504
>>68012258
holy shit fucking cringed at that webm
he was a total asshole at his job but no man deserves this faith

he basically became darth malak
>>
File: roger-ebert-quitting.jpg (47 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
roger-ebert-quitting.jpg
47 KB, 600x400
>>68012293
He lost his jaw a couple of years before he died due to cancer
>>
>>68012258
I would get a prosthetic for the whole shebang, having my lower face just hanging there like some kind of a parody looks awful
>>
>>68013240
>that face
>those eyes

hooooly shit
>>
>>68010928
Its just not very good. A book that may arguably be considered a classic was translated into a film, so no "logically" the film is a classic. But when you stop and watch it, its not got a whole lot going on.
It is full of Kubrickisms. If you're into that sorta thing, great. All those perspective shots. But what about the characters?
At the time, I'm sure Alex was menacing, today he's a hot topic kid. The rape scene is ridiculous, the phoney language is ridiculous and pointless, and the whole idea of "This is what our world will become" comes off as needlessly bleak. Wow Kubrick, you're depressed. I'm happy for ya.

In short, the film is weak when
>Alex is doing things that isn't a serious crime
>Other people are being needlessly cruel, like his old friends
Theres a reason most people who aren't American don't like it. We have working IQ's.
>>
>>68014271
fucken nightmare fuel is what it is
>>
>>68007301
Blue velvet is amateurish at best though you stupid redditor.
>>
>>68007276
plen
>>
>>68013107

>implying he is wrong
>focusing on the stars instead of the actual review
>>
>>68007301
The guy has a few unpopular opinions, like any of us, so he's a pleb?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.