[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Go ahead, /tv/. Tell me what you don't like about this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: juno_ver5_xlg.jpg (258 KB, 1049x1500) Image search: [Google]
juno_ver5_xlg.jpg
258 KB, 1049x1500
Go ahead, /tv/.

Tell me what you don't like about this movie.

I dare you.

You can't even say it's reddit or memes since it predates both those buzzwords.
>>
literally myspace tier
>>
I liked the Asian girl
>>
>>68006971
Nobody used that shit still
>>
>>68006920

But I like this film... Why the rage?
>>
what the fuck i dont remember jk simmons and jason bateman being in this
>>
>>68008476

You mean El incondicional and El Pasota?
>>
una comedia @ 3:17
>>
>>68006920
>You can't even say it's reddit or memes since it predates both those buzzwords
No it doesn't.
>>
>>68008528
Kek
>>
>>68006920
I didn't like the whimsical way they talked and acted. The screenwriter was pretty clearly out of touch with the way teenagers talk to and act around eachother.

Otherwise it was pretty good
>>
The movie was fun when it came out but as another anon pointed out yesterday in a different thread, it kick-started one of the most obnoxious trends in Hollywood from the last ten years so fuck it for doing that.
>>
>>68006920

John Green before John Green was even a thing but somehow even worse.
>>
Horrible dialogue and unneeded pop-culture memes.

It's like a retarded Ghost World.
>>
>>68009537

So Ghost World.
>>
>>68006920
Everything. Top to bottom.
>>
>>68009521
What trend did it kick off?
>>
>>68006920
Do you expect me to remember a single plot point from a movie that, when I last paid to be in a theater while it was playing, I was lying on the floor and sucking on a girl's foot while jerking off?

Seriously?

Ellen Page isn't a very good actress. There.
>>
>>68009583
T-tarantino?
>>
>>68009583
>laying on the floor of a movie theater
disgusting
>>
>>68007149
2007? That year was peak Myspace brah. I don't think Facebook overtook it until '09.
>>
>>68009583
'sup Quentin
>>
>>68009630
It wasn't that bad... that I can recall. I was kind of engrossed in what I was doing.

>>68009619
>>68009667
I didn't go to foot sucking school. I sucked feet.
>>
In order to have any value to a viewer a film will be aesthetic, didactic or both. It is necessary to be one or the other, and attempting to defy does not make a film 'original', because the terms are all-encompassing. Aesthetic works seek to impress the audience by being titillating to the emotions or senses. Didactic works seek to impress the audience with an exploration of ideas and concepts.

Juno is neither, except in the most fundamental sense. It has at least some aesthetic appeal because it's not just a handycam strapped to a horse or some shit. And it has at least some didactic value because if you're a Mexican immigrant you could probably learn some English words by watching it. That's it, though, beyond that it doesn't even try.

Didactically there is no exploration of morality, nothing is learned, nobody improves. In fact I even recall one scene where the protagonist is like 'I know someone outside of my clique who shows no behavioral indicators of attraction toward me actually wishes they could have me or a girl like me because.' This is irrelevant to the movie, it's almost as if the writer needed to externalise her narcissistic personality disorder and the mental gymnastics she uses to resolve cognitive dissonance.

Even in terms of genre the film falls flat. Is it a serious drama? This film is the opposite to soap operas, not in the sense that it has realistic acting, but in the sense that 'too hot' is the opposite to 'too cold'. Everyone is apathetic, there's no tension, there's not even a realistic portrayal of maternal responsibility. It's like 'hey, uh, erm, uh, hmm, uuuh Juno... like... uhm, why don't you like, abort our baby... *awkward 'heh'*' 'oh em gee, homeskillet.. like, that would totally suck'.

Is it a comedy? Well, I dunno what's meant to be funny. Oh my gosh, she drank an entire bottle of Sunny D? The absolute madwoman!!111

TL;DR: It's an objectively bad film.
>>
>>68009546
Ghost World at least had some conflict, something to keep you interested.

Ghost World at least revealed this cynical narcissist for the bitch she was.

Juno was 'I'm a cool girl and everyone likes me and everything worked out for me perfectly even though I acted completely irresponsibly'.
>>
>>68009562
They're probably talking about manic pixie dreamgirl which, in reality, are protagonists written by female writers who, after having life on easy-mode for being young and attractive, managed to continue life on easy-mode by getting a cushy writing gig. They've never been forced to introspect, never been forced to identify any of their personality flaws, and thus their characters are shallow and two-dimensional.
>>
>>68010415
Except most manic pixie dream girls are clearly written by dudes.
>>
>>68010469
>Most

Can you think of more than one?

500 Days of Superfluous Parentheses is the only one that comes to mind.
>>
>>68010525
Garden State
>>
>>68010277
Agreed. She should've just aborted the thing.
>>
You know what I always found weird about this movie? The brief sudden outburst of classism where Juno's mother suddenly starts to degrade one of the medical technicians for having a service industry profession that isn't doctor and having the gall to be slightly disapproving of Juno being a Teenage baby mamma. And she's portrayed as a hero for it even thought the family themselves seems to be about the same middle class to even lower middle class position. Very strange for such a happy go lucky moralist movie.

I guess that's a peak into the mind of women. Don't you dare judge people negatively for being irresponsible sluts but if you're not rich or married to rich people you are filth and should be insulted by all.
>>
>>68010552
That's a stretch.

Saying Zach Braff isn't a woman.
>>
File: fVa4uq0A0rE.movieposter.jpg (29 KB, 279x402) Image search: [Google]
fVa4uq0A0rE.movieposter.jpg
29 KB, 279x402
>>68006979
Here you go
>>
>>68006920
Twee indie bullshit with stilted, unrealistic dialogue.

Every female character was a bitch and every male character was an oblivious tool.

Luckily Diablo Cody, Ellen Page, Michael Cera, and Jason Reitman's careers are all dead.
>>
>>68010469
500 Days of Summer, Garden State, Elizabeth Town, nearly all of them dude.

Juno is fantastical, as >>68010277 says, but I'm not going to fault a movie for being a fantasy. The dialogue was refreshing at the time, and it helped pull the movie industry out of early 2000s teen sex comedies and New York-centric rom-com purgatory. The problem is everyone else tried to do the snark thing afterward, as >>68009521 relates.
>>
If I want to watch a funny and emotionally stimulating film about an accidental pregnancy I reach for Juno, because I threw the actual disc out after first viewing and replaced it with Knocked Up.

>>68010842
The first American Pie came out in 1999 and Juno came out in 2007 so I'm not really sure what you're talking about and don't think you are either.

> I'm not going to fault a movie for being a fantasy

Even if it's completely shallow and pointless?
>>
File: 555ComeOnNow.jpg (34 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
555ComeOnNow.jpg
34 KB, 338x305
It's a shit movie because it's just Ellen Page being a cunt and Michael Cera being a cuck.

>Total cunt to everyone
>Fucks Michael Cera
>Gets knocked up by him
>Keeps it without discussing anything first
>Gives the baby away to a couple without discussing anything first
>Ignores/cucks Michael Cera
>Spends all her time with the man she's going to give her baby to
>Gets really personal with the guy
>Treats his wife like a cunt
>Guy makes a move
>Gives the baby to his wife
>Uncucks Michael Cera and gets back to him
>>
>>68010929
And a movie like American Pie (or Eurotrip or Not Another Teen Movie) never loomed large in popular culture again, I'd say roughly after 2006/7.

>Even if it's completely shallow and pointless?

It was essentially a showcase for some (then) edgy dialogue. Some bits of the movie are straight out of Cody's memoir, Candy Girl, desu. Juno was shallow in its own way, but the most important thing about it was that it wasn't a "dude sex lol" movie like those mentioned above.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.