[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be subjective, /tv/! Is it good? It's not.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 40
Be subjective, /tv/!
Is it good?
It's not.
>>
>>68006423
It's garbage. Literally an acid trip fueled movie.
>>
I liked it until the whole epilepsy old age sequence. Up until that it was fairly good imo
>>
the monkey part > the space ship part > the acid trip

the monkey part is true kino
>>
It's "deep".
>>
huge rip off of solaris
>>
>>68006423
I like films that move along and have great characters and stories along with beautiful shots and settings , I guess I'm not kino enough to like the majority of this movie
>>
its the greatest film ever fampai
>>
I guess it's "interesting" but the pacing really could have used some work. I don't think the film would have been ruined if it had something resembling a narrative structure.
>>
>>
>>
>>68007507
but solaris is from 2002
>>
>>
>>
>>68006423
It's the best piece of kino I've ever seen.
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 1430327360343.jpg (3 MB, 2001x1500) Image search: [Google]
1430327360343.jpg
3 MB, 2001x1500
>>
>>
>>
File: 2001 A Space Odyssey in 120s.webm (3 MB, 320x144) Image search: [Google]
2001 A Space Odyssey in 120s.webm
3 MB, 320x144
>>
>>68008149
Finally a version with correct pacing.
>>
>>
Probably my favorite movie of all time.
>>
kino as fk m9
>>
>>68006423
It's really good, great themes and implementation of them, cinematography was perfect and it's still inspiring cinema to this day.

The Shining and 2001 are some of my favorite films.
>>
>>
Decent movie at best.
>>
ooo
>>
>>68007899
leave
>>
File: glow in the dark poster.jpg (119 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
glow in the dark poster.jpg
119 KB, 640x360
>>68008164
On the bluray they said the actors went to a zoo frequently to study ape movement and behaviour.
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 2001 A Space Odyssey Zoetrope.webm (3 MB, 1920x840) Image search: [Google]
2001 A Space Odyssey Zoetrope.webm
3 MB, 1920x840
>>
GOAT flick

Pretty good movie

OK picture

Lousy cinema

An insult to kino
>>
The whole "it's beautiful" just never cut it for me, because there are some terrible cuts especially early on. Also
>pacing is horrendous
>editing is mediocre, stan had no idea how to cut a scene
>acting goes from bland to atrocious
>narrative structure is non-existent

I hate it. A collection of pretty pictures is just that, Kuby forgot that a movie is more than just framing stuff right. That's why an otherwise simpler sci-fi monkey movie like Plant of the Apes is better, because although it's not nearly as kawaii, it's a better film.
>>
what was dave thinking
>>
>>68008320
>fuck me, this shit is boring
>>
>>
>>68008308
/pleb/ board when?
>>
>>68006423
i couldnt watch it
way too fucking boring
>>
It's very good.
>>
>>
>>68008308
>muh pacing
>muh narrative
>>
>>
>>
>>68008347
This is the pleb board. Do you know how I know? Because in all the years I've been saying this none of you faggots managed to provide one measly counterargument. Because none of you can. I'd think I rustled enough autist jimmies for someone to dignify himself with a decent rebuttal, but none of you "muh kino" cretins are able to produce something other than "lel, pleb rebbit".
Fag
>>
>>
>>68008366
>>68008374
>muh memes
>>
>>68008308
2001 has a pretty fucking clear narrative
>>
>>
>>68008428
Yes, a non-existent one until the halfway point and a shit one to the end
>>
babby
>>
>>68008449

Briefly describe your interpretation of the events of the film to prove that the plot was incomprehensible.
>>
>>68008493
I never said it's not clear, I just said it's shit.
>>
>>68006423
You're wrong.
>>
>>68008512

You said the narrative up until the end was non-existant.

The entire film is an existential dissertation on the nature of mankind, the narrative is meant to be a complex philosophical statement. That being said, the story is pretty fucking clear and follows a simple series of connected events.
>>
>>68007869
>>68007895
>>68007917
I loved this scene. Had my headphones on and I caught myself holding my breath during it.
>>
File: toooldforthisfeel.png (18 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
toooldforthisfeel.png
18 KB, 633x758
>>68006423
Its a brilliant milestone in movie making. Even better when you compare it to the shit made at the time.

It was so great that people look over the sequel despite the sequel being right up there in sci fi ranks.

In fact, anyone who liked the first and hasnt seen the sequel should go watch it right now.
>>
>>68008221

JUST
>>
>>68008606

2001 was more than sci-fi, 2010 was just sci-fi
>>
>>68008606
>shit made at the time

Pleb detected.

1925 to the mid sixties was the pinnacle of cinema.
>>
>>68008541
>character development
Not every film needs it, that's true

>what i needs
Well, characters, firstly. The 3 mains were fucking awful, neither the acting, nor the script, nor the direction helped in any way. I found myself not caring at all about what happens to them so the tension is gone out the window the first second.

Secondly, better pacing. Honestly, it's been said over and over again, but the pacing in the films is grating, The early monkey scenes were interesting at first, but by God, they fucking needed some harsh trimming, because I find myself looking at a nature documentary with people in monkey suits and no Attenborough narration for half an hour(it was probably less but felt like an entire movie's length). The "Blue Danube" scene was nice at first but fuckin' hell Stanley, we got it, move the fucking fuck on. The whole movie felt like an uncut version of a possible masterpiece. Until the acting parts that is.

Which is my biggest complaint. This film is purportedly about humanity's evolution from monkeys flinging shit to the birth of a new species. So why the fuck does it look upon humanity itself with the distant coldness of HAL? Why are there no relatable humans in it? Why have a 10-minute running in space montage when you could do some character development in that time? Why have all the actors act like they're stilted statues?

Sorry m9-1, while this is not a bad film per se, it's the one I hate the most.
>>
>>68008674

Film didn't really pick up until the mid 50's or 60's desu senpai.

Was hamstrung by technological restraints and moral codes until then.
>>
>>68008586
I said the narrative does not exist until around the hour mark and is completely shit from then on.

>the narrative is meant to be a complex philosophical statement
What is that complex philosophical statement?
>>
>>68008713
Few notable exceptions:
>fritz lang
>buster keaton
>chaplin

I'd say it's the late 40s anyway.
>>
>>68008699
So let's just get this out the way: you're a dumb pleb and 0-level reader. Now:

>Well, characters, firstly. The 3 mains were fucking awful, neither the acting, nor the script, nor the direction helped in any way
They were supposed to be robotic, inhumane, and purposely bland. They're supposed to show how lifeless and autistic humanity has become, as a juxtaposition against how wild and fiery the apes were.

>Secondly, better pacing.
Brain of a 2 year old confirmed. Movies take time in telling their stories, and as far as films go, this film can afford to take it's time. That being said, the pacing is absolutely fine especially on repeat viewings, once you know what to expect.

>Which is my biggest complaint. This film is purportedly about humanity's evolution from monkeys flinging shit to the birth of a new species. So why the fuck does it look upon humanity itself with the distant coldness of HAL? Why are there no relatable humans in it? Why have a 10-minute running in space montage when you could do some character development in that time? Why have all the actors act like they're stilted statues?
Again, you're a level 0 reader. You got it all wrong.

Not surprised the people who don't like the film with such a fervent rage are idiots who don't understand anything.
>>
>>68008971
>They were supposed to be robotic, inhumane, and purposely bland. They're supposed to show how lifeless and autistic humanity has become, as a juxtaposition against how wild and fiery the apes were
>something's shit
>but it's supposed to be shit
What?

>Brain of a 2 year old confirmed. Movies take time in telling their stories, and as far as films go, this film can afford to take it's time. That being said, the pacing is absolutely fine especially on repeat viewings, once you know what to expect.
Sure. if there was a story worth 2 shits to tell. My point was that every fucking scene goes on for way too long and leaves no impact because it drags its feet. I wouldn't want the hall fight scene in Oldboy to last 10 minutes. I wouldn't want the ending chase in Blade Runner to last 40. I wouldn't want to waking-up scene in Alien to last 15. Because that would mean I'm getting bored and the scene loses impact. You didn't explain to me why this movie's pacing is fine.

>Again, you're a level 0 reader. You got it all wrong.
How did I get it wrong? Why did I get it wrong?

I probably could find someone to counter some of my points, but not on this board. Try again faggot, 2/10
>>
>>68007507
2001 streamlined Solaris and made it 1000% less pseudo-intellectual. Tarkovsky's a talentless hack.
>>
>>68008982
OK, thank God someone found an argument. It still makes for a pretty boring experience, but I see your point.
I wish the movie got trimmed heavily so I could watch it in one sitting, but I suppose that would just kill its style. I guess I'll never be able to enjoy post-Spartacus Kubrick either way.
>>
>>68009114
Event Horizon > Soderbergh Solaris > Sphere >>>>>>>>> Le ebin Russian manlet's Solaris
>>
File: 1440955450172.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1440955450172.gif
3 MB, 300x200
>>68009069
>>something's shit
>>but it's supposed to be shit
These are the types of low IQ retards posting on /tv/ right now.
>>
>>68006812
>LITERALY ACCID BRO XD TO LIGHT FOR ME XD XD AMI COOL YEY?
>>
>>68009155
I hate BL more than anything. It may be the worst case of miscasting in move history. All the beuatiful lighting and the great camera work pales when the main character is fucking awful.

Casting the movie right gets half your job done. Kubrick was fucking awful at casting films, with a few notable exceptions.
>>
>>68008308
In your opinion, what's a good movie?
>>
>>68009069
"What is humanity?" Is a theme throughout. The movie suggests the concept of humanity isn't really human at all, with examples being:
>the monkeys, humanities origin, were just completely primal and savage, not what we think of ourselves
>The crew and the people at the moon meeting were inhuman as fuck, look how the guy plays and loses chess against HAL, how the man talks to his child on the skypephone, how Dave is a robot... they're all the next level of autism
>HAL is the most empathetic, understanding, and vulnerable
>Humanity isn't what it seems

Because you don't like it, does not mean it's shit. Because you didn't understand it, does not mean it wasn't there.

>>68009069
You didn't explain why it's bad. You just said "I'm too impatient a babby to watch any more than 5 minutes of one scene". The monkey part is a key part to the films narrative. Half the movie wouldn't make sense without it.

>How did I get it wrong? Why did I get it wrong?
Because HAL wasn't really distantly cold you dumb mong. No relatable humans is to emphasize their point in development; so far ahead technologically that it no longer impresses them. They feel beyond human emotion. When the monkeys were first in awe of the monolith, when they see it on the moon they act like they're its superiors. A 10 minutes run marathon is to symbolize the revolution of mans development over time, the scene is spectacularly done. They're statues because the point is "what is humanity?"

You just want to complain, because you enjoy being ignorant and trolly. You are a farcry away from being one of the smarter people on 4chan right now. Don't kid yourself.
>>
>>68008424
YOU ARE ALSO SAYING MEMES

Damn sonfuck me
>>
File: kubrickQuotes.jpg (60 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
kubrickQuotes.jpg
60 KB, 850x400
>>68006423
>>
>>68009203
None of your fucking business.

>>68009210
Pls rewrite that second to last paragraph in a way so I can understand what the fuck you're saying.

Also, I get it, I know it, I've read all about it, even the fucking book, even the short story it was based on. My problem is still with the pacing. And not so much the pacing, but the way Kubrick cut his scenes. Every fucking time I try to watch 2001 I get bored in one of the pointless long takes he does and ragequit.

Also, I never said the monkey scenes were useless, just that they ran for way too long, Just monkeys fucking around in the dirt. I know this is the Holy Grail, but some of this shit is indefensible.
>>
>>68009342
>so fucking dumb he can't comprehend a very simple paragraph
>"ragequit" due to momentary boredom
I'm not even defending the other guy on the account I like the movie anymore; I'm defending him on the account you're a fucking retard and should never breed.
>>
>>68009342
The second to last paragraph are sentence replies to

>>Which is my biggest complaint. This film is purportedly about humanity's evolution from monkeys flinging shit to the birth of a new species.
>So why the fuck does it look upon humanity itself with the distant coldness of HAL?
>Why are there no relatable humans in it?
>Why have a 10-minute running in space montage when you could do some character development in that time?
>Why have all the actors act like they're stilted statues?

I just couldn't be fucked with formatting anymore, because arguing over a matter of opinion is pointless.

Good day sir.
>>
File: MoonChild.jpg (73 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
MoonChild.jpg
73 KB, 500x293
2001 is about Sodomy.

The final scene gives birth to the MoonChild in the sexual rite of sodomy.

See Parsons (Father of Rocketry), L Ron Hubbard (Father of Space Sci-Fi), MoonChild
>>
>>68009342
>tfw i like less cuts unless necessary for arousal in relation to the scene
>>
File: discovery.jpg (381 KB, 704x329) Image search: [Google]
discovery.jpg
381 KB, 704x329
What's got a long bulbous shaft, and spits the payload of man out of a slit in its head?
>>
File: oblivion-ANUS.jpg (131 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
oblivion-ANUS.jpg
131 KB, 1440x900
DUDE , SODOMY LMAO
>>
>>68009640
pretty sure payloads are supposed to come out the other end anon

Unless you're a gayboy leaking cum from your boipussi
>>
>>68009154
I watched Event Horizon recently and was unimpressed. The CGI has aged terribly, the acting isn't up to par, and the censorship made it less terrifying than it could have been. Why do people love it so much?

It's not a bad movie, however.
>>
Its a great film. Cinematography is gorgeous but I do have to say that it is edited fairly poor.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51 KB, 685x567
>>68009680
>>
>>68009342
Fucking millennials and their attention spans. Faggots like you should stick to things like flappy bird and and family guy
>>
>>68006423
Its definitely a movie you should watch solo. With other people, you're bound to get those who ask too many questions, leave the room frequently, or just plain get bored. It's alright though, I never realized how often this film is portrayed in pop culture.

I also love that HAL went crazy, and the reasons behind it
>>
Its great, its just hard-work

Its not something you watch for pleasure, its something you watch to make yourself a better person.

Just noticed: its nearly 50 years old and people are still wowed by how great it is
>>
>>68007507
solyaris is a shallow piece of shit, covered with with long takes of uninspiring sets and existential non related dialogue to make it seem artsy
>>
File: 20011.png (1 MB, 1272x564) Image search: [Google]
20011.png
1 MB, 1272x564
>>
It's ok but it's badly paced.
>>
>>68006423
Yep.

I dislike all other stuff from Kubrick. But I love 2001.
>>
File: 2001 2 version 1.png (165 KB, 1003x787) Image search: [Google]
2001 2 version 1.png
165 KB, 1003x787
>>68006423
I disliked it but I felt good for watching it
>>68007394
Agreed
>>
>Disliking 2001
>Having a modicum of intelligence

Choose one.
>>
File: 1258854515810.jpg (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1258854515810.jpg
18 KB, 256x256
>>68009681
I don't know. A lot of people say it's one of the best horror movies as well but nothing in it even phased me even when I was far younger and not jaded to everything in existence.

I can't hate people loving it though, because it's still a good movie. I just don't think it's anywhere near - not even in the same dimension - as good as people say.
Wasn't scary.
Had really cool sets and imagery.
Had really really good camera work.
>>
Its great, one of the best films ever made, and I probably know more about Cinema than your guys do.
>>
File: 2001-A-Space-Odyssey-240.jpg (96 KB, 1013x461) Image search: [Google]
2001-A-Space-Odyssey-240.jpg
96 KB, 1013x461
>>68006812
The psychedelic stuff was only added to the marketing because the film wasn't doing very well.

The trippy stuff is just an attempt to show how mind blowing communication with a hyper intelligent alien would be. Kind of like witnessing a Lovecraft great one.
>>
>HAL calmly begging Dave not to be shut down
>Singing Daisy Bell before finally dying

Right in the goddamn feels, how?
>>
>>68008308
>this whole fucking post
jesus christ...
>>
File: mosaic 2.jpg (202 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
mosaic 2.jpg
202 KB, 920x920
>>68009525
I feel like this is what the Master is about. Hoffman's character is L Ron Hubbard, Joaquin's character is Jack Parsons.
>>
>>68008485
90s cg has really aged badly
>>
>>68006423
Yes, it's amazing.
>>
>>68007861
Yes but allowing the viewer to build their own version of the narrative is essential to the experience Kubrick wanted to give. This film is not for capeshit lovers.
>>
>>68007507
What's with these serious replies? Solaris was the rip-off, dumbfucks. It was made because he didn't like 2001.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.