[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I didn't even see this movie until recently, and yet it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Return-to-oz.jpg (337 KB, 1007x1500) Image search: [Google]
Return-to-oz.jpg
337 KB, 1007x1500
I didn't even see this movie until recently, and yet it somehow manages to represent literally everything I loved about movies then and nothing I hate about movies now.

Movies that movies aren't like now general, i. e. sad old man thread?
>>
I've always wondered if Fairuza Balk is a nice person. Has anyone met her? Just curious because she's a weirdo, but she seems really sweet in interviews. She also kind of looks a little crazy.
>>
Return to OZ
The Never Ending Story
The Dark Crystal
Time Bandits
Labyrinth

Were there any other movies like this?
>>
>>68003035
Legend
>>
>>68003035
>Time Bandits
One of these is not like the other
>>
>>68003035

>>68003035

Not kids movies, although I saw them as a kid; Krull and the first Conan movie.

It's amazing how much shit happened in movies then that seems unthinkable now.
>>
>>68003328
Nowadays Conan would be a "dark knight"-esque reboot set in the marvel universe to tie in with Avengers and be full of quips and forgettable soundtrack and quotes,
>>
>>68003398

Conan is so unheroic, and the movie doesn't try to make you think he's a hero. But you love him anyway.
>>
>>68003035
Willow.
>>
no idea what the fuck you're saying but I tried to re-watch wizard and I must be to depressed to enjoy it because I found it to be shit

but return to oz was great. 7-8 year old me watched it, it was quite horrific - but I grew up with hellraiser and meet the feebles so I was seasoned

I ended up pitying the pumpkin head man. He was a nice guy, but he was scary.
>>
>>68002993
When I was a kid I was confused about her name because it sounds like Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. Then there was the band called Veruca Salt. Then Fairuza Balk was starring in movies at the time and it made me even more confused about what was what and who was who.
>>
>>68004810

>no idea what the fuck you're saying

Movies were different. They were not only more earnest but more willing to not pander to the audience. Everyone's so scared to do anything now because when they make a movie they spend stupid amounts of money on it almost every time and it's a fucking massive risk that will sink countless livelihoods if it doesn't succeed.

Return to Oz wouldn't get made these days.
>>
>>68005003
I suppose you're right.

But it isn't that we as a society are softer - it's the end game is money, and we have suit wearing clods who study demographics and look at pie charts as if that is lieu of actual human interaction.

It bothers me to an extent..but I'm a bit of a selfish cunt, let this new generation have their trigger warnings..

I'll die one day and be free of it.
>>
File: ANON FEELS.jpg (58 KB, 650x842) Image search: [Google]
ANON FEELS.jpg
58 KB, 650x842
>>68005052

>I'll die one day and be free of it

I've screencapped that post for posterity, so you'll live on in at least some way as long as autistic faggots post on imageboards.
>>
>>68002830
>>68003035

these movies tried to build fictional worlds in the real world. You don't see that anymore. The only way I can describe these movies is that they are warm, they feel alive. Where as all the cg shlock fest is cold and dead.
>>
>>68005213

warm and alive.

the people making these movies were passionate and on drugs. their very essence seeped into the celluloid like heat dialing in. nowadays everyone is too clinical and sober. I blame all the goddamn coffee and studios.
>>
>>68003081
Legend sucks, so does Willow
return to oz is cool tho
>>
>>68005376

Legend isn't a great movie, but it had a lot of studio interference. It's very technically impressive. Willow is fine, it's just a Star Wars ripoff.
>>
>>68005003
Man I don't know what it is but children's films from the 80s are so fucking great to me, Return to Oz obviously but also All Dogs Go To Heaven, that was a really fucking strange movie for kids, a lot of adult shit but the tone is like nothing I've seen elsewhere and yeah, could never ever be done today
>>
File: NIMH.jpg (391 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
NIMH.jpg
391 KB, 1280x1280
I have independently confirmed that people who aren't sad old men also notice this difference, unless they're all lying to me which is a depressing prospect.
>>
>>68005427
Yeah man honestly , I probably wouldn't sit through Return to Oz if it weren't for nostalgia value tho, I really like it but I just gotta be honest with myself about that. Legend and Willow are just so fucking boring aaaaand desu I'm not even really that big on labyrinth, dark crystal or never ending story even tho I grew up on them and love them and seen en a lot, I honestly just wouldn't call myself a fan the same way, I dunno, I would about all the bluth stuff. In fact as embarrassing as it is, I think the princess bride is the best out of that whole category, except maybe for return to oz just cause of shock value . Legend and Willow are the only ones I didn't grow up with.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.