[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Batman vs Superman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: BATMAN-SUPERMAN.jpg (359 KB, 2000x1330) Image search: [Google]
BATMAN-SUPERMAN.jpg
359 KB, 2000x1330
BATMAN v SUPERMAN IS AN OVERLOOKED MASTERPIECE
Already, the allusions to Excalibur have been pinpointed. However, this movie is full to the brim with references to cartoons, mythology, novels, movies, pop culture, etc. What brings up to the question: What's the oldest lie on Reddit?
What's the oldest lie on the internet? That Lex Luthor behaving like The Joker wasn't intentional.
The entire point of the movie is to show that the Superman mythos belongs to no one and everyone at the same time. This is the historical baggage that Snyder is aware these characters carry: An endless barrage of fanboys and comicbook lore since the 30's, comparison to other iconic characters, and everyone thinking they have the last word on how these characters should and would act.
Superman is Christ, Moby Dick, King Arthur, Zorro, JFK, The White Rabbit/Bugs Bunny, the Classical hero.
Batman is Ahab, a vampire, Lancelot, Charles Foster Kane, Dr. Bill Hartford, John the Baptist, the tortured soul seeking redemption.
Doomsday is a fire-breathing dragon, King Kong, a falling meteorite, a nuclear holocaust, the mythical Hydra, Mordred, the monster inside oneself.
The Kryptonite spear is Excalibur, Longinus, Zeus' thunderbolt, Ahab's harpoon, Zorro's rapier, Alexander the Great's sword, dispassionate power and judgement.
Lex is The Joker, The Mad Hatter, Elmer Fudd, Oedipus, Icharus, Salome, the Tragic cynic.
I dare you to find these references I've mentioned, I promise you they're all there, and there are even more.
>>
>>67998380
There are many comparisons with the Nolan trilogy because this film embraces it as part of the mythos too. For instance, the Batmobile scene culminates in Batman running into Superman, while in the Nolan version he decides to spare the Joker on his motorcycle. The Gotham football team's uniform is the same color in both films. Rachel Dawes and Lois Lane are dropped from a skyscraper. The interrogation scenes of The Joker and Luthor are accentuated in one case because of its physical violence and in the other because of the lack thereof.
It's a deconstruction and analysis of the characters themselves.
The film thrives on these types of associations, like the red Jolly Rancher pushed into the senator's mouth - "it's cherry" - coming back as the blood dripped onto Zod's face, the red graffiti on Superman's monument, and his slashed cheek, not to mention the nods to internet culture and memes (4U CIA).
To explain the reference to internet culture, have a look at the teaser scene. http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tv/image/1458/80/1458801778106.png The banepost in that scene was intentional. Also that whole JL teaser scene is made that way to feel as if Bats, Diana, and Lex are sharing memes with one another. Post-credit scenes are basically packaged to be shared virally after all. The critique and frustration signal that those teases emotionally did their job, while also literally providing a DECONSTRUCTION of those kinds of teases in general:
Half assed teases forced into the movie at the end of production. How is this not literally all post-credit scenes that have been placed literally at the end of the movies?
>>
>>67998412
We had already noted a lot of the hypocrisy of the reviews of BvS, but now the shit thrown at BvS are not actually faults of the movie specifically but of our own preconceptions of comicbook superhero movies.
All the reviews read as such: "Not what i wanted it to be." "I didn't catch all the logistics, fault the movie for not picking up on it." "The fact that i'm asking questions about the movie is somehow a fault of the movie." "The precise internal mechanics of the movie and their connection with my perception of the movie in relation to the story escaped me." "The movie presents an idea that is not only valid with the movie universe but in real life as well."
The main complaint was that the teaser scene breaks continuity, it's spliced right after Superman flies off to Gotham to face Batman. Snyder basically said, "I don't care, I'm going to put this scene in the place where most people will get annoyed by it, because everyone paid just to watch Batman and Superman fight," in itself proving that these scenes are manipulative corporate garbage.
It's precisely this uncomfortable reevaluation and redemption of sugary pop imagery that drives the film. "Snyder intends to resolve the conflict between commerce and art," as Armond White notes. The basic thesis is that Superhero franchises are antithetical to what Superman actually stands for.
The fact that not a single character behaved the way fanboys expected just proves the point that all this was intentional (for instance, Alfred isn't a butler and Lois isn't a typical lady in distress). "I'm not a lady, I'm a journalist," she proclaims, as she boldly challenges the men around her. Remember how she ambushes the Secretary of Defense, Swanwick, while he's in the men's bathroom.
>>
kino
>>
I'm not reading all that. Holy shit, you're out of your mind.
>>
>>67998448
The point of the whole movie is that he isn't an all-powerful god. Lex succeeds, Batman and the world finally see his humanity and vulnerable side.
Demons come from the sky. Superman flies to the top of Lex's tower to face the demon. Think about Superman's monument, it's reaching down on people from above. This causes people to fear and hate him, an all-powerful god can become a tyrant after all (this is foreshadowed on Bruce's nightmare and by Flash).
After his sacrifice to humanity, people start seeing him in a different light. He's not supposed to be adored, he's supposed to inspire people. The monument destroyed by Doomsday (remember him smashing the pillar with the names of the people he failed to save on his head?) is replaced by a simple plate at ground level that reads: If you seek my monument look around you. Final scene: dirt rising from the ground, mirroring the opening sequence of little Bruce being lifted by bats.
Batman's faith in moral absolutes is restored too. "Men are still good. We fight, we kill, we betray one another. But we can rebuild, we can do better. We will, we have to."
A common mistake is assuming that Snyder wants to portray Superman as a God with the religious imagery. http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tv/image/1459/27/1459274134895.jpg
Instead, he uses it to portray how PEOPLE around him see him, not what the real Superman is really like. The scene of the flood gains more weight when you think about troubled Clark knowing that people regard him as a deity, and this is a central theme to consider in order to understand his inner struggle, and the huge burden that his powers entail.
>>
>>67998501
Just to finish, here's an interesting analysis of Lex's character:
People asking why he made Doomsday, think about the creation scenes -- how he cries when examining Zod. The Greek Icarus flew too close to the sun and fell, Zod and the other Kryptonians came across the universe simply to restore their people. Yet Superman struck them down, in Lex's eyes, to cement his status as a god. He gives the genesis chamber his own DNA and weeps viewing the lethal results of Superman's righteousness. "If God is all-good, then he cannot be all-powerful" Lex manically laments as he remembers the abuses of his father. So if the super man's intentions for humanity are so supremely pure that he would act as destroyer for his own race, then there is no way he will never live up to them. The largest departure from comic book Lex Luthor is that he is no longer antagonizing Superman out of jealousy, beneath it all is a despair that Superman cannot fulfill the promise he made to this world.
By his interaction with the ship and Zod, Lex is more a bridge between 2 worlds than Superman will ever be. After Zod is reborn, Lex reaches out to embrace him. Mad scientist Lex Luthor is more a spiritualist as the ghost of Krypton arises to meet him. The worlds torn asunder by Superman, rather explicitly or implicitly, are linked by a shared experience of moral objectivism.
Zod's unerring beliefs could not coexist with the Superman the same as tumultuous nature of humanity cannot. "If man won't kill God, then the devil will do it", there's double meaning: first off, Batman failed to end the Superman, but more importantly, Superman refused to give up his goodness - his godliness - viewing the underbelly of mankind. Batman's character arc in this movie is remembering that moral absolutes do still exist, then Lex's arc is attempting to prove to the world that they do as well.
>>
>>67998536
JUST kino my shit up
>>
>>67998536
He never thought Superman would kill Batman. A layman would view Lex's catalog of metahuman files as brought on by paranoia. "The oldest lie in America is that power can be innocent" -- think of this of the objectivist scale, not the relativist one. These extraordinary people Lex catalogued cannot simply exist and be complacent, they factually must be like Superman as either savior or destroyer. Remember that despite aiding mankind, Prometheus was no man. Yet Lex's greatest fear is not that Olympus will succeed in stopping Prometheus - Superman has already brought down Olympus -, it's that humanity will. That necessitates the creation of Doomsday, the devil, a being rising against its destroyer.
If Superman exists and is godly, then the devil must exist. If life is given to mankind by Prometheus, then anti-life must be given as well.
This, of course, perfectly ties together with the coming of Darkseid. In that deleted scene, he prays before Darkseid's church. Zack Snyder's Lex Luthor does not hate Superman. His villainy comes from believing in him the most out of anyone on the planet.
>>
>>67998380
you're not helping
>>
At least Marvel fans don't do this.

R-Right?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.