[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tv Ive started a movie club at my school where we stay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Sup /tv

Ive started a movie club at my school where we stay after school watch a movie than discuss it. Since I came up with the idea I have been asked to pick the movie. Im going for something thats enjoyable but also smart and symbolic. Im thinking Punch Drunk Love since its not crazy "complicated" like Tarkovsky or something, but its not as reddit as forrest gump. Any other suggestions for what we would watch?
>>
>>67997211
>Picks a PTA movie
>not The Master

I would go with something from Fellini t b h
>>
Break fast club

You see it's like, they're on a break, but they're on a fast as well, and it's kind of like a club,rite? idk
>>
>>67997274
I would love to do the Master, its my personal Fav of PTA but this movie club has some 17/16 year olds in it and teachers, not that they would care would just be a bit awkward. Also I was thinking Fellini's 8 1/2 but this is only the first film we are watching, I want the club to be more about introducing people to films. I was thinking maybe we could do Fellini later, I don't want to instantly throw them Fellini since they probs wont appreciate him, maybe after a few sessions IL show them one
>>
How about There Will Be Blood? I'll rattle off a few more - no country, grand budapest, gangs of New York, mulholland drive, bone tomahawk, the witch (when released).
>>
File: 1458088.jpg (68 KB, 607x720) Image search: [Google]
1458088.jpg
68 KB, 607x720
>>67997487
>calls movies "reddit"
>is still in high school
>probably thinks he has superior taste to other kids in his class
>>
>>67997600
Was more for a lack of a better term but Im trying to show them how Great cinema can be, if I just showed them Shawshank I wouldnt be showing them anything new, not trying to sound pretentious
>>
>>67997649
>for lack of a better term I used "reddit"

Please describe what you mean when a movie is "reddit" then buddy
>>
Meanwhile students in Asia are going to after-school schools and participating in clubs that actually look good on resumes.
>>
>Start Movie Club
>Spend hours combing through ideas and suggestions from /tv/ about the best movie to start it off
>Bring three amazing options that 90% of the board believes is a good choice
>About a dozen people show up to the meeting
>Group gets hype, someone brought popcorn to cook in the school microwave and chips
>Present your movies
>"are those foreign movies"
>"it looks boring"
>"looks like a movie my dad would watch"
>Group looks puzzled
>Someone says they brought the spongebob movie
>Group cheers and the discussion spirals out of anon's control
>anon sits in the back silently for twenty minutes and feigns having to use the bathroom so he can go home.
>>
>>67997698
Was more just well known movies every one knows like shawshank, or Dark knight lel, trying to show them that cinema can be more than just narrative, sorry not trying to sound superior to them, was just lack of a better term
>>
>>67997770
So in other words you want lesser known films? How fucking hard was that to say in your op statement?
>>
Oldboy. Make it uncomfortable.
>>
>>67997871
This is a good answer, you could pick something from Refn too or even Taxi Driver
>>
cube, always gets people talking, at least in my experience
>>
>>67997770
This is what 4chan has done to our new minds coming out of school into the real world. Something that is popular is now "reddit". Fuck dude just stop.
>>
>>67997871
This. Make them uncomfortable as fuck for the first movie. If they can't deal with the shit in oldboy they don't need to be in a film club. Shit you can even show them the English version that nobody can bitch about because they're too lazy to read subtitles.
>>
>>67998064
I love Shawshank, I just dont think it would be a good film to watch for movie club
>>
>>67997811
Fuck off anon.

>>67997770
Good on you OP. Punch Drunk Love might be an ok choice, but i don't think it's incredibly ripe with symbolism. there's still some fertile ground for discussion in terms of the performances and cinematography though.

Some films with significant use of symbolism:
>Atonement
>The Shining
>Synechdoche, New York
>Mulholland Drive
>Barton Fink
>A Field in England
>Persona
>2001

Those are just off the top of my head. Good luck with your endeavour
>>
>>67998144
There's nothing in the world wrong with shawshank, or even most of the other popular movies that get shat on like pulp fiction. It's not that they're bad it's just that normies treat them like they're the best movies ever made because they finally got a taste of some kino. But in reality there are movies that make those look like shit by comparison so everyone shits on them here.
>>
>>67997211
There's an entertaining "superman theory" surrounding that movie, give it a read for fun.
>>
>>67998179
Yes I was thinking Synecdoche New york, defiantly next time

>>67998249
Yes I love that theory, its one of the reasons I want to do Punch drunk love, I want to show people the thrill of discovery cause nothing beats the feeling. I remember watching Eyes wide shut and thinking it was ok, but after watching it again, reading some stuff on it and finding out that maybe these theories were intended, it becomes one of your favs
>>
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 1500x1500
>>67998569
>defiantly
Dumb mobile poster
>>
>>67997211
The Anvil Hoarder (1930)
>>
>>67997211
The movie club at my college presented Divergent and The Croods.
>>
>>67997211
>>67999158
How do you join this "movie club"??
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.