[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question for Star Trek experts ONLY:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 34
File: we'll always have locarno.jpg (371 KB, 750x977) Image search: [Google]
we'll always have locarno.jpg
371 KB, 750x977
Star Trek Voyager S07E03, "Drive":
>PARIS: It got me through the Academy.
>TORRES: You were expelled.

Star Trek Voyager S02E02, "Non Sequitur":
>PARIS: Oh. Well, it must have been the Exeter. We served on the Exeter together?

How was Tom Paris assigned to serve on a Starfleet ship if he was expelled from the Academy?
>>
Upon graduating from the Academy, Paris was assigned to the USS Exeter. His career in Starfleet was short-lived, however, and ended after he was involved in covering up his own piloting error which had led to the death of three fellow officers at Caldik Prime. Despite later telling the truth, he was discharged from Starfleet following the incident. He once remarked that "the ghosts of those three dead officers came to me in the middle of the night and taught me the true meaning of Christmas" when asked why he finally confessed. (VOY: "Caretaker", "Non Sequitur")

After being expelled from Starfleet, he wandered around "looking for a fight" and found it in the Maquis. He was with them for a few weeks before he was captured on his first mission, convicted of treason, and sentenced to eighteen months' imprisonment at the Federation Penal Settlement in New Zealand. (VOY: "Non Sequitur")
>>
Because after he was expelled from the Academy he joined the Maquis, then got caught and went to starfleet jail. Then they cut some deal with him to get him to use his Maquis knowledge to hunt down Chakotays ship. Which is why Chakotay hates Paris at the beginning of the series and considers him a traitor.
>>
>>67994990
>>67995055
So when B'Elanna said "you were expelled" in Drive, she was referring to his expulsion from Starfleet even though he had just referenced the Academy?
>>
File: TupacShot.png (667 KB, 891x1050) Image search: [Google]
TupacShot.png
667 KB, 891x1050
>tfw done with Star Trek
I don't know what to do with my life now. What is a good 90s-core show for a Trek fan?

Already seen X-Files, Buffy, and Angel
>>
>>67995923
Andromeda?

BSG Seasons 1 through 3 if you are willing to get ass-blasted about Season 4, or just not watch it and imagine your own ending.
>>
>>67995923
Sliders and B5
>>
>>67995923
Babylon 5
>>
File: farscape_1999_2341_poster.jpg (189 KB, 780x1116) Image search: [Google]
farscape_1999_2341_poster.jpg
189 KB, 780x1116
>>67995923
GOAT
>>
>>67995923
>hasn't watched BabyGOAT 5
get on it nigger
>>
>>67996053
>Sliders
comfy as shit
>>
>>67995995
I really enjoyed Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda for the first two seasons. Wish it were a canon Star Trek show.
>>
>>67996196
Meh, the first two seasons are okay I guess. Definitely better than what comes after
>>
Should have paid the writers so they could have called him Ensign Locarno. Changing the name to avoid paying is cheap.
>>
>watching Voyager
>expecting consistency
Wew?
>>
>>67996632
better than ds9 at least
>>
>>67998474
Do you also believe that the Earth is flat?
>>
>>67998670
I'll answer that only after you tell me whether you're awed by airplanes in their function and majesty
>>
File: yar.jpg (130 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
yar.jpg
130 KB, 640x480
>>67994865
was it rape?
>>
File: Tom_Paris_and_Wesley_Crusher.jpg (30 KB, 705x541) Image search: [Google]
Tom_Paris_and_Wesley_Crusher.jpg
30 KB, 705x541
>>67994990
thats not how i recall it fgt
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 528x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 528x544
>>67994865
Will you tell me about your sexual organs?
>>
>>67999995
>sex get denied for organsposter
TANJ
>>
File: image (47).png (86 KB, 268x284) Image search: [Google]
image (47).png
86 KB, 268x284
>>67994990

Are we just going to forget that "Tom Paris" was actually "Nicolas Lacarno" at the time.

This was a clear oversight by the writing staff, but it was also an oversight by me since there is so much dialogue that comes across at times, not just with Voyager, as run of the mill.

Turns out this was another "WTF" moment for them as they forgot about the huge fact that he wasn't playing Tom Paris.
>>
>>67995134
You could give us more context like what was said before Tom's line. What got him through the academy?
>>
>>68000406
Um, this was a question for Star Trek experts only.
>>
>>68000348
See >>67996450

They would have had to pay royalties to the writers / creators of Nick Locarno, so they just made a "new" character.
>>
>>68000406
[scene change]
[Delta Flyer]
[in the shuttlebay, next to Irina's ship]
PARIS: Come on, you can say it.
TORRES: It's embarrassing.
PARIS: I just want to make sure we're clear on what we're doing.
TORRES: Right at the light, then readjust my sight.
PARIS: Meaning?
TORRES: Come about eighty six degrees at the red giant then recalibrate sensors to compensate for photonic interference.
[drink another shot for another instance of stupid Voyager technobabble]
PARIS: Right. Next?
TORRES: Do I really have to spend my morning reciting nursery rhymes?
PARIS: It got me through the Academy.
TORRES: You were expelled.
>>
>>68000489

Except I don't know every piece of dialogue so supply the lines before that, I don't feel like trying to find the script or DLing a torrent right now.
>>
File: jeri_ryan.png (817 KB, 1025x1078) Image search: [Google]
jeri_ryan.png
817 KB, 1025x1078
>>68000533

Okay, then this DEFINITELY comes across as the writers of the show and even the teleplay editors fucking up their own Star Trek canon by thinking Locarno was Tom Paris.

He was "expelled" from Starfleet but the lines clearly are suggestive that the nursery rhymes were a part of the Academy and Torres' retort also suggests he was expelled from the Academy.

I think you're right OP. A big oversight but that wasn't rare for Voyager's staff at times, especially towards the end.

Nonetheless, I still love the show. Gets way too much hate.
>>
>>68000619
We love Voyager too. That's why we hate it. It could have (and should have) been so much better with someone else at the helm instead of Berman and Braga.
>>
File: jeriryan.png (904 KB, 984x1018) Image search: [Google]
jeriryan.png
904 KB, 984x1018
>>68000705

I actually used to like Braga's out of the box ideas until I started learning about him and why things were happening in the show that affected it negatively, his relationship with generally liked Star Trek producers, and the overall slimeball persona he seemed to exhibit.

Voyager was dark at times, it had some great ideas, some that the fans hate but I love. The episode where Chakotay becomes a part of a removed Borg collective and he sees all of their memories was a beautiful idea for me.

Equinox had Janeway acting like a tyrant, so Chakotay had to bring the logic, and then the we're presented with the producers' Kool-Aid of "here, Janeway's right so just like it or lump it".

Could've been so much more but it had it's high points for me.
>>
File: stflagsamended.jpg (303 KB, 2212x810) Image search: [Google]
stflagsamended.jpg
303 KB, 2212x810
>>68000705
who's "we," faggit?
>>
>>67995923

Red dwarf

Battle-star galactica
>>
anyone got any pics of Jolene prior to her lip injections and / or boob enhancement?
>>
File: Cogenitor.jpg (39 KB, 541x541) Image search: [Google]
Cogenitor.jpg
39 KB, 541x541
>>67999995
Commander, tell me about your sexual organs.
>>
>>68000877
Most people in /trek/ threads have a low opinion of Voyager (and/or Enterprise).

We still love them because they're Star Treks, but we wish that they had been better.
>>
File: trip-tpol.jpg (77 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
trip-tpol.jpg
77 KB, 736x981
>>68001201

I'm sorry, but 3/4s of the Xindi Arc (ENT Season 3) were fucking legendary.

The entire part of space known as the expanse, T'Pol's unraveling, Tripp almost dying, the bargaining with the multiple Xindi species, the idea of multiple species becoming sentient on the same planet; I could keep going.

In the end, though, that first season and parts of the second are really bad at times and feel more like a fan-Trek instead of the real deal (well, other than the production).
>>
>>68001297
The improvement in seasons 3-4 came from Berman and Braga going hands-off and letting other writers like Manny Coto hold the reins.

Too late to save the series from cancellation, unfortunately.
>>
File: wiggling Jadzia Dax.gif (714 KB, 348x444) Image search: [Google]
wiggling Jadzia Dax.gif
714 KB, 348x444
>>68001297
>the idea of multiple species becoming sentient on the same planet
Literally Trill
>>
File: 4chan disapproves of TOS and DS9.jpg (710 KB, 2060x2020) Image search: [Google]
4chan disapproves of TOS and DS9.jpg
710 KB, 2060x2020
>>68001201
>>
>>68001586
Why do you dislike TOS?
>>
>>68001534

There's really no explicit mentioning of Trill symbionts being anything more than receptacles for Trill memories. They suggest in certain episodes that the Trill symbionts can communicate but they never expound upon stuff like if they can communicate with their humanoid friends outside of their bodies (the episode about Joran was still an involvement of her own symbiont's memories).

But what I was talking about was the idea of Reptilians, Insectoids, Mammalians, et al becoming sentient and all working against or together with each other.
>>
>>67994865
I've always looked at his "service" on the Exeter as more Academy Placement than anything else.

Like, Wesley was still in the Academy while serving aboard the Enterprise - they put the cadets aboard starships to gain knowledge and experience. They don't sit in a classroom all day, every day.
>>
File: troiwoff.jpg (38 KB, 560x374) Image search: [Google]
troiwoff.jpg
38 KB, 560x374
>>68001201
all this proves is plebs never watched ENT in the first place and got swept up in the pew pew darkgrim edginess of DS9 instead of appreciating VOY.
>>
>>68001726
Nope.

Wesley's time on the Enterprise was all before he got accepted into the Academy.

Once in the Academy, he was on Earth full-time.
>>
>>68001789
That's an awful lot of projection.

How about: It proves that "we" was referring to the majority opinion, so you shouldn't get upset over that usage of "we".
>>
>>68001726
>>68001796
Wesley is a bad example because TNG didn't really have the academy fleshed out at that time. He was a full Ensign before even being accepted into the academy.
Nog is a better example - he served aboard DS9 while still an Academy Cadet and was living with Jake.
>>
File: no.jpg (707 KB, 1114x810) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
707 KB, 1114x810
>>68001904
>He was a full Ensign before even being accepted into the academy.
I assume that the commission that Picard gave him was rendered null and void by Starfleet Command.

Just imagine a universe where commissions are thrown about willy-nilly to any random schmuck who isn't qualified for the job.
>>
>>67995995
>BSG
it's funny that BSG for all intents and purposes IS Voyager done right, and yet bad ending made me actively dislike BSG overall

Especially funny how Ronald D. Moore shits all over Voyager, claiming it to be too safe, but i'd rather have it safe rather than shittastic late seasons of BSG he did
>>
>>68001854
but we are displeased.

faggit.
>>
>>68001789
>pleb
>>68002006
>faggit
It's just a tv show. Don't make it your life.
>>
File: Terry Farrell.jpg (629 KB, 900x1135) Image search: [Google]
Terry Farrell.jpg
629 KB, 900x1135
>>68001695
I see no evidence that Trill symbionts aren't just as sentient as Trill hosts.

I'm not hating on the Xindi, I just want to note that Enterprise wasn't the first Star Trek to have different intelligent lifeforms on the same planet.
>>
>>68002143

That's still up for debate.

Trill symbionts weren't warp capable, they lived in little underground ponds and basically could only feel the world around them through electrical impulses.

A far cry from space ships I would say.
>>
>>68002143
>I see no evidence that Trill symbionts aren't just as sentient as Trill hosts.
We saw no evidence that they were. All we knew of a symbiont outside of the host was that they're kept in a pool and looked after by the Trill, and every single time we saw one it was inanimate.
>>
>>68001991
And BSG made literally the same mistake that DS9 and Voyager made: Writers need to plan storylines out ahead of time, and not just make shit up as they go along.

At least the DS9 finale had storylines other than the Prophets. The end of BSG was just one big "God did it".
>>
>>68002242
>they're not sentient because they don't have warp
Has Zefram Cochrane even been born yet?
>>
>>68002290

I just said to you they couldn't even live outside little ponds, had no opposable digits, no technology, not even little self made homes like beavers have.

Really bad argument to choose to play devil's advocate with because it just seems silly if you've seen the Joran episode.

Hell, the writers did a shit job of telling how the original Trill symbionts were able to get inside of a host since all we see is surgery when it changes a host.
>>
>>68002347
They didn't need warp drive. They were able to take over the galaxy by traveling through the star gates.
>>
>>68001677
I'm pretty sure his point isn't that he hates TOS, and more that both these metrics can't reflect the truth, because they are both extreme opposites.
Literally.
The last of >>68001201 is the same as the first of >>68001586 and the same is true in reverse.

Point is, just throwing around some random poll from ~100 people that probably got filled out in the span of 2-3 hours in one thread isn't going to reflect people's general opinions.
>>
>>68002255
> last season of DS9
what the fuck happened?

It went from great sci-fi show to literally Superbook and Flying House for almighty Prophets

and baseball episode?.. did all writers coked up out of their minds
>>
>>68002500
Baseball episode is great. What are you talking about?
>>
>>68002466
one and only true trek poll here:
http://strawpoll.me/6572268
>>
File: 1457915930639.jpg (106 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
1457915930639.jpg
106 KB, 1191x670
>>68000705
>le 'enterprise is bad' meme
>>
>>68002466
But "VOY and ENT are poop" really was the most popular choice.

The other image is a fake by some butthurt TOS-hater.

Here's the actual poll:

http://strawpoll.me/6572205

>>68002518
This is the sort of butthurt that I'm talking about.
>>
>>68002572
I don't like that poll because I actually enjoyed all five series.
Don't get me wrong, VOY and ENT are the bottom two, obviously, but I still like them.
>>
>>68000705
I'm glad Voyager existed, it kept Berman and Braga away from DS9, it was literally the containment series for the worst producers and writers

Can you imagine how shitty DS9 would have been if Rick Berman had focused on it instead of Voyager? He literally told Ira Steven Behr that he didn't want the Dominion War to last more than 2/3 episodes
>>
>>68002606
This is a fair and valid objection to the poll, to be honest.

Much better than the "anyone who disagrees with me is a pleb faggit" from the other Anon.
>>
>>67995923
Dark matter and the expanse. They aren't goat, but they are good recent scifi at least.

Also, stargate sg1
>>
>>68002572
>i need you to agree with me or your butthurt
k mang.
>>
>>68002517
I didn't think the concept of a baseball episode was as bad as people make it out to be, but that episode pisses me off more than anything else in all Trek.

>Vulcans challenge Sisko with the intention of proving they are the superior species
>long training montage as the various other species come together to beat them
>Vulcans destroy them anyways and prove their superiority
>WELL WE'RE GONNA PRETEND WE WON!
>Vulcans call out their pathetic emotion-driven trick
>Y-YOU'RE JUST M-MAD!
>>
>>68002518
Who are these imaginary DS9 shitposters that fags keep whining about? Never seen them, whereas I see butthurt bitching about how DS9 "isn't really Star Trek" all the time
>>
>>68002698
If you disagree with the results of a poll? That's not butthurt.

If you make fake polls like >>68001586 and start new polls just to complain about other polls (and not to learn anything new)? Yes, you're butthurt.
>>
i don't know the answer and atm i don't have specific examples off the top of my head but Star Trek has a decent amount of inconsistencies

I simply came to the conclusion that the writers really don't care about consistency as much as others and they don't expect fans to remember this shit so they don't do a lot of lore fact checking. Back then fans weren't able to marathon shows online and analyze each episode with the details of the previous episodes fresh in their memory, now we can and we're finding this shit all the time.
>>
>>68002716
I agree with you, and was also upset with how Sisko and the others flat-out bully the Vulcan captain at the end.
They literally bully him, mock him, and all laugh at him as a group until he runs away. They literally even say "What? Are you getting emotional?"

It's like being in second grade with a group of cunts trying to make you cry. I've never been more disappointed in Star Trek than at that moment. Sisko was actually a complete cock all episode, it's only when he realises he's lost that he decides that winning doesn't matter and that he can still come out on top.
>>
>>68002716
The entire episode presented itself as the comic relief of the season when it turned out to be a huge filler episode.

The whole thing was WAAAAYY too wacky and slapstick in all the wrong ways for me to find it even smirk worthy. But you're right.. the ending was a complete question mark and you'd wished you skipped it because it was now committed to memory.
>>
>>68002786
Not all writers are the same. Some writers care more than other writers. Voyager had the bad luck to be saddled with the writers who really didn't care.
>>
>>68002716
I'm pretty sure the point is they are the real winners because they had fun, or something
>>
>>68002786

Yes, it does, but it also attempted to keep over 800 episodes at 45-50 minutes a piece contiguous and as a part of one single universe.

Given the vast amount time and the eras that existed prior to the late 90s or even Enterprise, they created a fairly consistent universe that was inevitably going to have plot holes, inconsistencies and contradictions because of the vast nature of the franchise.

If it didn't hold together much more than it's inconsistencies, it wouldn't even be a mention on a weekly basis, much less daily.
>>
>>68002716
The baseball game is a metaphor for the war. The good guys were up against a superior force with no hope of victory. Their acceptance of defeat by the Vulcans was them accepting their eventual defeat by the Dominion.

You just couldn't handle the p o e t r y .
>>
>>68002837
Which is entirely contradictory to the first 2/3s of the show where Sisko is doing everything to prepare his team so he can beat this smug Vulcan because that is his motivation.. to beat him, not just have a fun game with him.
>>
File: Space Above and Beyond.jpg (25 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Space Above and Beyond.jpg
25 KB, 320x320
>>67995923

More pew pew than technobabble.

Still good watching.
>>
>>68002837
Yeah that seems about right. As >>68002802 points out the whole moral lesson is ridiculous when you consider that Sisko was furious during the game and screamed at his teammates for not doing well enough.
>>68002890
>baseball episode has absurd tacked-on resolution
>Dominion War has absurd tacked-on resolution
POTTERY
>>
File: irathedeepphilosopher.jpg (54 KB, 960x530) Image search: [Google]
irathedeepphilosopher.jpg
54 KB, 960x530
>>68002737
hi! welcome to your first trek thread, newfriend.
>>68002651
you are a fan of pic related. you think like this fedora, and love the same religious, war is awesomo, grimdark schlock he turned trek into over what every other trek series is. think about it.
>>68002780
whats this obsession of yours with butts? are you a homosexual?
>>
File: the best is yet to come.jpg (82 KB, 692x530) Image search: [Google]
the best is yet to come.jpg
82 KB, 692x530
>>68002902
That's the point. Sisko was wrong for the first two thirds of the episode. That was the writers' intention.

It's not even DS9's only holosuite episode where the writers have Sisko spend the first half being wrong before finally having an epiphany.

>>68002976
It's okay to have characters be wrong and then learn a lesson.
>>
>>68003016
Except there was no "epiphany" moment in that episode.

It sort of just happened and not with Sisko but as an entire team when they lost and were acting pissed off then turned it back against the Vulcans.

Quit defending a god-awful and illogical episode that offered no laughter or enjoyment. It's intentions were way off the mark.
>>
>>68002984
thanks for proving my point
>>
>>68002984
This Voyager apologist is too ridiculous to be real. Is this a false flag?
>>
>>68003074
no wait, i have to have the last word.
>>
File: Buck_Bokai_Alien.jpg (289 KB, 762x1019) Image search: [Google]
Buck_Bokai_Alien.jpg
289 KB, 762x1019
Did someone here say Baseball?

Last year was Buck Bokai's rookie season, can't wait for him to rip it up again this year!
>>
>>68002737
see
>>68003100

ds9ers attacking "insaneway" and sperging out whenever people want to talk about voyager has been happening for years in these threads.
>>
>>67995923

Really?

Babylon 5 you dip. DS9 was just a hastily assembled ripoff of the premise of B5 because they were worried it would steal the trekkies away in the absence of a concurrent Star Trek show.

Babylon 5 is legit space opera, political and strategic like the last two seasons of DS9 but spanning all five seasons.
>>
>>68003072
His epiphany was the scene with Rom in the stands.

He saw that Rom, the humble idiot savant, understood The True Meaning of Baseball even though Sisko had forgotten it.

Rom saved Sisko.
>>
>>68003107
>post mentions how it's DS9 haters that are always the ones shitposting about it not being "true Trek"
>cue shitpost that does exactly that, complete with fedora.jpeg
P O E T R Y
>>
>>68003189
no wait, i have to have the last word
>>
>>68003152

Can you suggest two Babylon 5 episodes I can watch that will actually pull me into the series?

I couldn't get through the pilot for some reason. It was just really bad in a general way.
>>
>>68003217

k
>>
>>68003152
You should at least warn them that, of those 5 years, only 3 of them are good.
>>
>>68001986
Except you're in action and Captains opinions aren't willy nily opinions.
>>
>>68003263
>defending JJ Trek
?
>>
>>67994990

>2016
>having fully autonomous drones capable of taking-off, flying around, and landing on an aircraft carrier
>have drone autonomous and human controlled drone swarms used for combat
>2371
>still relying on slower human response times for piloting
>not using drones for combat

I never understood this
>>
>>68003129
Buck Bokai was killed in the eugenics wars (back in the nineties) in this timeline.
>>
>>68003150
I've seen many Voyager threads over the years, and hardly any shitposting. At the same a DS9 thread can't go 10 posts without someone sperging about how grimdark and anti-Trek it is
>>
File: StirlingMallory.jpg (18 KB, 534x384) Image search: [Google]
StirlingMallory.jpg
18 KB, 534x384
>>68003150
>DS9fags attack Insaneway for Tuvix and various other crimes
>VOYfags attack CS:GO for defrauding the Romulan ambassador and various other crimes

>nobody mentions the time Archer launched a premeditated surprise-attack on a civilian science vessel to rob them and leave them stranded years from home in dangerous space
This man's actions make the most questionable decisions of the other captains look medal-worthy. He's like the mirrorverse version of himself
>>
>>68003308
Autonomous robots and other artificial intelligences were outlawed in the Butlerian Jihad. Soong and Zimmerman had to start over from scratch.
>>
File: Sharpe.jpg (123 KB, 1000x1013) Image search: [Google]
Sharpe.jpg
123 KB, 1000x1013
>>68001986

>Just imagine a universe where commissions are thrown about willy-nilly to any random schmuck who isn't qualified for the job.

Mite b cool
>>
File: black_to_the_future.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
black_to_the_future.webm
3 MB, 720x480
>>68003324

Well, he was trying to save his entire species, give the man some slack.

He pulled off worse stunts like ACTIVELY CLONING A SENTIENT BEING TO HARVEST IT'S BRAIN TISSUE FOR LATER GRAFTING THEREBY KILLING IT IN THE PROCESS.
>>
>>68003324

They had to kill those scientists in order to save them.
>>
File: Talas2153.jpg (20 KB, 325x396) Image search: [Google]
Talas2153.jpg
20 KB, 325x396
>>68003381
Another great Archer moment, that's up there with chewing out Trip for trying to emancipate the Cogenitor. ENT does not deserve a fraction of the hate it gets.
Is Quantum Leap a worthwhile Bakino to watch?
>>
File: entquantumleap3.jpg (131 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
entquantumleap3.jpg
131 KB, 1366x768
>>68003381
>>
>>68003577

It definitely has it's moments.

Some episodes are really dated, but the good ones are definitely worth sitting through the bad. imhaoo
>>
>>68003577
>awful theme song
>erotic rubdowns in decontamination chamber
>pre-TOS show made by writers who don't like TOS
It deserves it.

Quantum Leap is a fun show. More fun than Enterprise.
>>
>>68003893

The theme song starts out awful but grows on you and a lot of fans agree with this. Some still hate it but it's definitely not something you can judge the actual series on.

There was only 2-3 actual "erotic" rubdowns, and they all involved T'Pol. Again, not a big issue.

Need a source for that last statement.

Terrible, terrible argument against watching Enterprise.
>>
>>68003240

Which are you suggesting, 2-4?

I thought they were all acceptable, obviously 5 was lacking sufficient Boxleitner but it was still good and Londo/G'Kar covered.

Also, when you add the three great films and Crusade, it stands up fairly to any individual Star Trek series, and is better than plenty of them.

>>68003227

Nah dude, it's all overarching plotlines, you need to start from the beginning or you won't get what's going on.
>>
>>68003976

>The theme song starts out awful

No, it started out acceptable and then got five times worse.

There were acceptable episodes and the Andorian arc was decent, but as a series it was genuinely worse on average than any other, and had more camp than even TOS.
>>
>>68003976
>Need a source for that last statement.
Brannon Braga didn't like TOS, didn't watch TOS, and had to beg Ronald Moore to take over Relics because
>"I didn't even know who Scotty was."

He defends himself thusly:
>"Some fans accuse me of not knowing Star Trek or (say) “He didn’t watch TOS’ or “He didn’t see all the episodes of TOS. How dare he work on Star Trek.” I wrote more episodes of Star Trek than anybody. Now, some people might say that’s a bad thing, but why does everybody forget the good things? We referenced “Rick and Brannon killed the franchise,” but Rick and Brannon were around at the heyday, too. It kind of reached an apex Kirk and Picard were on the cover of Time Magazine. TNG was ending. The movie was coming and Voyager had been announced. It hit this fever pitch and was at the top of the world, and it never really reached that peak again, though I think the J.J. Abrams has reintroduced Star Trek in a great way."
Sure, he doesn't like TOS, but it's okay because he wrote a lot of episodes?
>>
>>68003893
The decon gel rubdowns happened in like 3 episodes

It has a very different feel than all the other Treks, but the first season was much better than that of TNG, VOY, or DS9; the Xindi arc balanced survival, continual upgrades, MOTW, and an overarching plot very well; and the 4th season had great multi-part episodes.
The weakness of the show lay in a rather unremarkable command staff. Mayweather was almost an absentee, Reed never developed any meaningful relationships, and Sato was frequently sidelined. For some reason the writers backed away from interpersonal conflict/romance for pretty much everyone but T'Pol and Trip

The lack of terrible episodes makes it marginally better than Voyager in my eyes, and the final two seasons rival the best of other Treks. If it had the full 7-season run with Shran as a main cast member (as was planned) and more familiar federation procedure I bet it would be respected alongside TNG in the USS Enterprise trilogy.
>>
>>68004046

You never answered my question.

I couldn't sit through the pilot of B5, what are some episodes that stand alone and might pull me in?

You saying it's great doesn't help wash out the taste of shit that pilot squatted into my eyes.

>>68004101
Braga's like or dislike of the original series should have ZERO baring on anything else with Trek. I don't understand that by your logic somehow working after TOS is okay but before it is off limits?

Also, that quote says nothing about Rick not liking the original series.
>>
>>68004130
Enterprise was supposed to be building up to the TOS era, but it didn't because the showrunner didn't like the TOS era.

The entire show suffers when its own premise is undermined by its own head writer.

Manny Coto spent his tenure using Enterprise to build up to the TOS era, and everybody loved it.
>>
>>68004236
>Enterprise was supposed to be building up to the TOS era

Was it? It was an entire 100+ years before TOS, it was actually supposed to show the foundings of the federation and mankind's first steps into space within the ST universe.

So that premise can't be undermined when it doesn't exist.
>>
>>68002683
The girl in dark matter is a qt
>>
>>68003976
Fuck that song, enterprise as a stand alone show is OK. But when you take it into the whole trek universe it's a piece of shit.
>>
>>68004130

I can't help you, dude. If you sat through all of those shitty MOTW episodes in Star Trek but you're complaining about an iffy pilot, you should consider not watching science fiction anymore, since it is apparently above your intellectual capacity.

In general, Babylon 5 has better dialogue and more coherent plotlines than Star Trek, but was the first to rely on full CGI so the graphics can sometimes be dated. Either watch it or don't, but don't come here begging for suggestions and then dismiss them on account of your being a pleb who can't make it past a pilot.
>>
File: Captains.jpg (75 KB, 640x618) Image search: [Google]
Captains.jpg
75 KB, 640x618
>tfw I like all the Trek series
>tfw can't join in on the shitposting and hatred
Life is suffering
>>
>>67994990
>Federation Penal Settlement in New Zealand.
>New Zealand turned into a prison island

I love you Star Trek future. Teach those disgusting shitposting kiwi's on /pol/.
>>
>>68004921

Oh, now it's "above my intellectual capacity" because I want a good opinion for some episodes that might actually make me like the series and get into watching it?

I suppose, for that matter, any series of any genre is beneath someone's intellectual capacity if they find it so horribly unwatchable to continue unto the next one in the logical progression of a serialized show, which TNG wasn't.

Also, save your 4chan buzzwords for other threads, you still haven't defended your beloved series with suggestions of entry episodes (read: engaging, not pontificating with vapid characters screeching out early 90s tier comedy quips between forced panic and horrible CGI that kills the disbelief. I can deal with the CGI lest the acting is worth it.

And I'm still worth letting it try and pique my curiosity. I can always go to that shit site with unreliable reviews but I was hoping a fan of the show could give some recommendations.
>>
>>68004975

c'mon dude, you can shitpost even if you love it, there were shitty things about all of the series, like the existence is Wesley Crusher for example.
>>
>>68003016

I hated the Vic Fontaine episodes.

Especially that one where Nog was being a bitch and hiding in the holo suite with him.
>>
>>68005443
Are you kidding? That's a very good ds9 episode.
>>
>>68005443
Him being a rebel in mirror universe was all kinds of stupid
>>
>>68005797
Mirror Universe Ezri and Kira making out tho.
My fucking dick.
>>
>>68005850
all girls in mirror universe ended up lesbian even Nog's mega milk wife
>>
>>68005889
That's why mirror universe was great.
Also dat first mirror universe episode where Bashir murders Odo and he explodes in gore.
>>
>>68005907
i liked how every single mirror episode had mandatory main cast mirror death
>>
>>68005937
Hell some had multiple main cast death.
>>
File: Strawberry.webm (785 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Strawberry.webm
785 KB, 960x540
I just started Firefly and its freakin pretty good, i must say. Blending scifi with a western goes better than you think. Too bad it's so short. Anyway i would recommend it over Farscape and Baby5.

I just finished Baby5 and it was alright. I really liked the first season the most, it felt the most unique. Everything from S2 - 4 is nice and tight, though i kinda feels like it was done in the wrong order. The final season was pretty meh - a bit all over the place, and the ending is just depressing. They should have saved the shadow war arc till last.

Farscape... is complicated. The first two seasons are absolutely amazing and then once Zhaan leaves, the show looses focus just becomes mediocre with no real central plot. The characters become really annoying by the end of the show too.

Just my two cents.
>>
File: thecloud_104.jpg (71 KB, 692x530) Image search: [Google]
thecloud_104.jpg
71 KB, 692x530
>>67994865
>be shit pilot get guy killed and expelled.
>somehow get on a ship
>somehow goto jail.
>janeway bails you out because youre a good pilot and totally nothing to do with admiral daddy.
>get lost in delta quadrant forever.
it all makes perfect sense op.
>>
>>67994865
Such a shame they didn't do a crossover with the ENT episode about the pilot played by the same actor.

Star Trek missed a lot of great opportunities which would have worked well.
>Indian tribe displaced by cardassians is not related to Chackotay
>Ro didn't want to go full /trek/ and cross over to ds9
>>
> yfw no Galaxy Quest 2
>>
File: spaceaboveandbeyond coolio.jpg (68 KB, 400x211) Image search: [Google]
spaceaboveandbeyond coolio.jpg
68 KB, 400x211
>>68002974
Plus it has Coolio
>>
File: Harriman Gray_02.jpg (16 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Harriman Gray_02.jpg
16 KB, 320x240
>>68005084
Season one is rocky at best, and a lot of people recommend skipping it entirely. I wouldn't, but that's just some food for thought. That anon you've been talking to is correct in so much as it's really hard to recommend any episodes without just straight watching through the series proper. You really are just depriving yourself of a great tv show if you can't get past the pilot.

If you really can't get yourself to just sit and watch from the beginning, I guess I would recommend the episode with Jeffrey Combs based solely on the fact that it is Jeffrey Combs. I honestly don't remember if the episode was anything special or not, but again, it's Jeffrey Combs.
>>
>>68006959
Season 1 is worth watching for Michael O'Hares performance alone as he tries to fight his quickly worsening mental illness off camera.
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.